Battle Garegga Price Rise?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Diabollokus

Battle Garegga Price Rise?

Post by Diabollokus »

Can anyone explain why this game has just doubled in value in a relatively short time, sure its godlike but its been around a few years!

Why now? :(

Is it due to magazine publicity or has some pyscho decided to buy everyone making the others more rare just to piss other guys off?

Hope Zak didn't start it LOL :D
Vidi Vici Veni
Neon

Post by Neon »

It seems the PCB is cheaper now...it's a lot better too. No between-stage load times.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

New influx of interested shmupo's after gradius V? :?

Maybe the old offer<->demand rule drove up the pice because it got a good reputation and a bigger possible market with still the same ammount of copies available?

Hell, I don't know! Just guessing here...:P
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

It's expensive. I paid $90 including EMS shipping for my copy of GAREGGA. I paid $102 for Radiant Silvergun so I use that as a gauge for Saturn game prices.

Prices have definitely increased. I've seen $135 on one recent eBay auction.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. It's a great game. It's my favorite right now.
raiden

Post by raiden »

It seems the PCB is cheaper now...it's a lot better too. No between-stage load times.
I don´t find it better, really. Afair, Saturn version loading times were around 5 seconds between stages, and the PCB self-check procedure takes about as long as booting the game up on a Saturn does. The Saturn version has better audio (including arranged soundtrack), a practice mode, saves scores - separately for each difficulty, play mode, and even keeps track of the date and whether continues were used. It´s graphically on par completely (at least I don´t remember any detail in which it was inferior), controls are even more precise than with the arcade version, and you can just turn the slowdown off if you want to. A lot of nice extra options like red ball, shrapnel on/off, useable yoko modes, built-in superplays... together with RaidenDX and both modern Cave games on PS2, it´s one of the rare occasions where a console version is so perfect you don´t miss a thing from the arcade.
The reason I still bought the PCB is just that my tate setup is completely geared to PCBs by now, so playing the PCB means a lot less hassle than switching to a Saturn I don´t even have just for Battle Garegga. And maybe the fact that I trust a PCB´s durability a little more than a CD. But if I still had a Saturn, or in case I should buy one again, I´d probably change to the Saturn version again. That´s different with Dodonpachi and Strikers 1945 II.

One reason for the current price increase might be the superplay DVD released last year. Hearing that someone spent 8 years playing this game should make a few people more aware of its qualities.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Very valid point about the controls...I haven't played the Saturn version in a long time though that could make it better. I'd love to hear the arranged soundtrack and replays also but I could probably download them somewhere.

For me the instant transfer between stages makes the mame version (and soon the pcb) a lot more fun...but I'm an impatient bastard. And I guess you would need the correct region of pcb to get the bullets to be visible, unless that's a dip switch setting.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

dude its just market fluctuation.. i remember about 2yrs ago garegga would fetch upto $150 on ye'ol'bay.. and then it plummethed down to around $70 and now its on a rise again.

same with RSG and just about every other collectible game..

buy it quickly or wait another year and hope for interest to cool down.. :)
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Couldn't agree more. What's up with people who take one look at a $130 Battle Garegga and think "OMG!!! Price skyrocketing!!" Just chill out; just 2 years ago, Garegga fetched about $90-100, then went to about $65-90 last year, and is now probably a bit higher. All through that time, there've been weird copies that hit over $100. How much higher isn't known well since the market isn't saturated with copies currently.

Getting bargains on their games isn't for people who don't have patience.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

5 years ago I got mine used and complete in good/fair condition for $54. But as I was telling Cugel in a PM the other day, even back then it could go for $80 (that was a sealed copy I saw though, still fetched $70 opened)

Best $54 I ever spent. 8)
TVG

Post by TVG »

maybe its because of ibara?
you know how an announcement of a sequel suddently makes you feel like playing the original til that one is out.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I think I'll wait for interest to cool down them, maybe buy some cheaper titles like parodius series in the mean time.

I paid 80 quid for silvergun, mint complete another guy 6 hours later paid 140£ including postage thats about 250-280$!

Yeah so what all does garegga have extra wise?

Aside from 4 extra characters

It has built in replays? any other things?
Vidi Vici Veni
sven666

Post by sven666 »

built in replays and the ost of kingdom GP/garegga (just put the CD in yor hifi system).
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

There's built-in replays in Battle Garegga? How do you access them? I've never noticed them...

There's an options menu where you can change 5 things: stage select, immediate availability of Kingdom Grandprix ships, small hitbox, change most bullets to balls, and one other option. There's also an arranged soundtrack that sounds crisper and makes the intro music a lot more majestic.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I take it then that all of those features are absent from the mame version?

For replays, extra characters or 4 new ships including a dragon! and an arranged soundtrack its definetly up there to get!

Think firestorm made me an offer, I'll have to check my finances at the moment though can't go out of control.
Vidi Vici Veni
raiden

Post by raiden »

but I'm an impatient bastard.
me too, that´s why this self-check procedure unnerves me so much. Thankfully, Dimahoo doesn´t have that.
And I guess you would need the correct region of pcb to get the bullets to be visible, unless that's a dip switch setting.
yeah, I could flash the eproms if I was inclined to, but that´s nowhere near the comfort of switching on the fly. I prefer the regular bullets (don´t consider them invisible), but when friends come by, they would sometimes like to use red ball option. No way to do that with the PCB. Honestly, the option to turn slowdown off is a much bigger tease for me.

Just for the record: the 4 extra characters are availlable on the PCB as well, but you need to enter a code each time to access them, much less comfortable than the Saturn version.

To access the superplay, afair you need to 1cc the game, but it doesn´t matter which difficulty setting and whether you use continues. As scores are saved separately anyway, you could spoil your very easy list while keeping the others intact.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Ahh, thanks. But I guess if you can use continues, it's not a 1CC. Hell if I'm going to leave a save file without a nice solid 0 at the end of my score. Guess I'll have to keep practicing sometime to unlock it. 8)

The biggest problem I find with the red balls is that I expect every bullet to be changed into red balls, which isn't the case since a few bullets for whatever reason still appear as bullets. And while training my eye to spot only red bullets and missiles, I narrowly miss or get hit by a normal bullet, which feels very awkward. The Garegga MAME ROM from Denmark has the red balls on by default if you want to compare them.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, if you're willing to pay $100, Play-Asia has some copies of Garegga from their latest classic game gathering. Includes the spine but no clue what condition their used games usually are.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

all the preowned games ive got from play-asia have been near mint with spine card
Neon

Post by Neon »

Ord

Post by Ord »

Neon wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Why did I have to miss this? Why?
:shock: Wow, someone got a bloody bargain there!
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

lol I saw that auction myself but just couldn't be bothered :D

I'm all shmuped out at the moment.
Vidi Vici Veni
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

I paid $80 for my Garegga.
But I saw an LE of Garegga on Ebay 3 years ago for $200 BIN. Came in a HUGE black box with some extras. Wonder how much that will fetch today.

I think the factor could be an RS review on Gamefaqs that proclaims a large consensus of japanese shmupers favoring Garegga.
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Maybe I should sell mine. Definitely not that attached to it.
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

I'd sell mine if I knew I wouldn't regret it.

Besides, If I do sell it I'll have to put up with Sage berating me for it on another forum.
Track my "Progress"
bcass

Post by bcass »

Dartagnan1083 wrote:I paid $80 for my Garegga.
But I saw an LE of Garegga on Ebay 3 years ago for $200 BIN. Came in a HUGE black box with some extras.
Anyone got any pictures/further info on this?
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Probably this:

Not an LE at all. Just a promotional CD carrier w/ the Garegga logo. Holds up to 6 CDs.

I actually bought something from this seller a long time ago. A beaten up Gekirindan I think. Nice enough person. You might be able to convince 'em to ship abroad.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Does it hold just CDs, or will it hold CDs in the boxes? What is the sellers ebay/yahoo jpn name?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

The "red ball" (or whatever, I forget the correct name) mode on the Saturn make that THE version to own for me. Not that I could play the PCB anyway. :lol:
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

$200??? wow thats alot to pay for a great game + cd holder, $80 sounds more my style.

I'm going to leave buying it a month anyway, I'm rather worried about my silvergun as it could be lost in the post, terrible feeling about it, think it was posted to me on wedensday from england so its tuesday 2morrow and it better be there at my house!

theres a few gareggas on ebay at the mo, none of you guys are to bid though! lol.
Vidi Vici Veni
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

It was different.
The seller put the Garegga Jewel Case outside the box, and it was much smaller. Could have been a mockup, but I know what I saw.
Track my "Progress"