Xbox 360 VGA

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strayan

Re: Xbox 360 VGA

Post by strayan »

matt wrote:
strayan wrote:Those other resolutions are available if the 360 thinks it’s connected to a DVI sink.
This sounds interesting. How do you accomplish that?
DVI EDID minder should work.

Will display DVI like in this picture: https://imgur.com/a/HhPGuYd
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

If you connect it to a PC monitor with a HDMI>DVI adapter/cable, it will expose the PC resolutions.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Xbox 360 > Component > RT5X downscaled to 240p > Analog 4:3 CRT (tate) - Result = missing too much picture but nice progressive signal.

For Cave shooters, the best result I have so far is just connecting the Xbox 360 directly to component on a analog 4:3 CRT (tate) in 480i with Smoothing enabled. I'm so used to disabling Smoothing in Cave ports but in 480i on an analog CRT it looks much better left on.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Haven't tried this, but theoretically the best result for Cave shooters with remade graphics is VGA > 31khz CRT rotated. For the ones with the original PCB graphics (smoothing disabled), 15khz RGB cable > 15khz deinterlacer > 15khz monitor/TV rotated (except for Deathsmiles, for obvious reasons). Notice some TVs have a deinterlacing setting, otherwise an Extron RGB interface should do.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

digitron wrote:Xbox 360 > Component > RT5X downscaled to 240p > Analog 4:3 CRT (tate) - Result = missing too much picture but nice progressive signal.
Just curious, but the RetroTink doesn't allow you to adjust the image so nothing is cut-off? That would kinda surprise me if it didn't have a simple setting like that. I use an Xbox 360 downscaled to 240p with a Corio2 all the time (specifically for those cave games ;) and def have to tweak it to get it to show properly.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Dochartaigh wrote:
digitron wrote:Xbox 360 > Component > RT5X downscaled to 240p > Analog 4:3 CRT (tate) - Result = missing too much picture but nice progressive signal.
Just curious, but the RetroTink doesn't allow you to adjust the image so nothing is cut-off? That would kinda surprise me if it didn't have a simple setting like that. I use an Xbox 360 downscaled to 240p with a Corio2 all the time (specifically for those cave games ;) and def have to tweak it to get it to show properly.
Hey Doc, I believe it has to do with the Cave ports being written for 480p/i. When downscaled from the xbox 360, the image doesn't look like a normal Cave pcb would on a 240p crt. I'm no expert on this btw, just tinkering with the settings trying to get the best picture quality on an analog crt set. The RT5X has an option to invert the scanlines but it's not working for me when output is set to 240p..
digitron

Post by digitron »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Haven't tried this, but theoretically the best result for Cave shooters with remade graphics is VGA > 31khz CRT rotated. For the ones with the original PCB graphics (smoothing disabled), 15khz RGB cable > 15khz deinterlacer > 15khz monitor/TV rotated (except for Deathsmiles, for obvious reasons). Notice some TVs have a deinterlacing setting, otherwise an Extron RGB interface should do.
Yep, my VGA crt is only 17" so the screen is a little small but you're right it, it looks amazing...
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

digitron wrote:Hey Doc, I believe it has to do with the Cave ports being written for 480p/i. When downscaled from the xbox 360, the image doesn't look like a normal Cave pcb would on a 240p crt. I'm no expert on this btw, just tinkering with the settings trying to get the best picture quality on an analog crt set. The RT5X has an option to invert the scanlines but it's not working for me when output is set to 240p..
I can't compare to real PCB's, but the games that MAME/GroovyMAME/CRTemudriver will run (which isn't them all, which is why I use Xbox 360 for some Cave) look the same as the ones I downscale from my Xbox 360 with that Corio2. Was just curious if the RetroTink did something to them as I've been super happy with my result.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Dochartaigh wrote:I can't compare to real PCB's, but the games that MAME/GroovyMAME/CRTemudriver will run (which isn't them all, which is why I use Xbox 360 for some Cave) look the same as the ones I downscale from my Xbox 360 with that Corio2. Was just curious if the RetroTink did something to them as I've been super happy with my result.
I've been told the RT5X can downscale to 240p at only 1/4 frame of lag using Frame Lock. I think the quality should be the same in regards to 240p with your Corio2, just a matter of performance at that point. I believe the RT5X is the fastest at the moment (that I'm aware of).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

digitron wrote:I've been told the RT5X can downscale to 240p at only 1/4 frame of lag using Frame Lock. I think the quality should be the same in regards to 240p with your Corio2, just a matter of performance at that point. I believe the RT5X is the fastest at the moment (that I'm aware of).
Don't want to get too far off-topic, but I think you might have missed what I was asking about - I was initially just asking if the RetroTink could "allow you to adjust the image so nothing is cut-off". I.e. if you could center the image up/down/left/right, and shrink/enlarge H/V size.

I asked this because you said the RetroTink is "missing too much picture", and saying that too much of the picture is missing would usually mean that the image is cut off on one or more sides, which means there's no adjustments to fix that part of the image from being cut off (which I couldn't believe, so I asked about it ;)
digitron

Post by digitron »

Dochartaigh wrote:
digitron wrote:I've been told the RT5X can downscale to 240p at only 1/4 frame of lag using Frame Lock. I think the quality should be the same in regards to 240p with your Corio2, just a matter of performance at that point. I believe the RT5X is the fastest at the moment (that I'm aware of).
Don't want to get too far off-topic, but I think you might have missed what I was asking about - I was initially just asking if the RetroTink could "allow you to adjust the image so nothing is cut-off". I.e. if you could center the image up/down/left/right, and shrink/enlarge H/V size.

I asked this because you said the RetroTink is "missing too much picture", and saying that too much of the picture is missing would usually mean that the image is cut off on one or more sides, which means there's no adjustments to fix that part of the image from being cut off (which I couldn't believe, so I asked about it ;)
Ah yes, cropping? Yes, you can crop and move the picture on the RT5X. I meant to say that due to 240p and the large scanlines from a 480p source being downscaled, the picture is lacking. You can also move the picture in the Screen settings on the Cave port (as you probably know) so either way that's not an issue.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Spent some time tinkering with different displays, eg. Sony CRT, Sharp CRT, Sony VGA Monitor. In regards to playing Cave Shmups on the Xbox 360, my best setup so far is simply using a VGA CRT Monitor with the official VGA cable, looks fantastic and plays great. Futari set to 0 FrameDelay, 640x480, 31khz, just feels like its the way these ports were meant to be played.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Curious if any of you are running your xbox 360 on an EDTV LCD? Seems like these were models which would support 480p natively w/ 4:3. Think these would be fairly cheap panels, not sure if there's a better model to hunt down. These things are all over the place on the used marketplace.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

digitron wrote:Curious if any of you are running your xbox 360 on an EDTV LCD? Seems like these were models which would support 480p natively w/ 4:3. Think these would be fairly cheap panels, not sure if there's a better model to hunt down. These things are all over the place on the used marketplace.
Not really such a thing. I mean, there are, but they're pretty HORRID and nothing most people would want to own. Like around that time period plasma totally stomped LCD's, and those early plasma with true 480p (some of them ARE even 4:3, like not 4:3 with pillarboxes because it's a 16:9 set, but actual 4:3) and their black level is pretty atrocious to modern standards (hell, even to a few years later). I'm not even sure if those LCD's I also commonly see are even 480p (or TBH they very well could be but I just write them off and never research the ones I see on FBMarketplace because I immediately write them off, because LCD, lol), many, many are 720p.

I DO have a bunch of 'native' 480p plasmas, widescreens, but exactly 480 individual phosphor banks/cells (or whatever they're called) tall, and the problem for me with my Panasonic PWD5, 6, and PWD8 models is the scaling. When you set it to default it is NOT 1:1, still gives you the vertical repeating pillars of dirty scaling when you run the checkerboard test or whatnot (or on my tester it's "H" written over and over).

Besides that though, I do kinda love them for native 480p (mostly for my OG Xbox, but I do play the Cave shooters on the 360 a lot too!) even with their flaws. My CRT's do beat them many times over, but the 42" size of these is a TON bigger than even my largest widescreen 32" multiformat pro CRT – and the colors are very nice as well (and in a dark room I'm OK with the black level even, but a lot do complain about it).
digitron

Post by digitron »

Dochartaigh wrote:
digitron wrote:Curious if any of you are running your xbox 360 on an EDTV LCD? Seems like these were models which would support 480p natively w/ 4:3. Think these would be fairly cheap panels, not sure if there's a better model to hunt down. These things are all over the place on the used marketplace.
Not really such a thing. I mean, there are, but they're pretty HORRID and nothing most people would want to own. Like around that time period plasma totally stomped LCD's, and those early plasma with true 480p (some of them ARE even 4:3, like not 4:3 with pillarboxes because it's a 16:9 set, but actual 4:3) and their black level is pretty atrocious to modern standards (hell, even to a few years later). I'm not even sure if those LCD's I also commonly see are even 480p (or TBH they very well could be but I just write them off and never research the ones I see on FBMarketplace because I immediately write them off, because LCD, lol), many, many are 720p.

I DO have a bunch of 'native' 480p plasmas, widescreens, but exactly 480 individual phosphor banks/cells (or whatever they're called) tall, and the problem for me with my Panasonic PWD5, 6, and PWD8 models is the scaling. When you set it to default it is NOT 1:1, still gives you the vertical repeating pillars of dirty scaling when you run the checkerboard test or whatnot (or on my tester it's "H" written over and over).

Besides that though, I do kinda love them for native 480p (mostly for my OG Xbox, but I do play the Cave shooters on the 360 a lot too!) even with their flaws. My CRT's do beat them many times over, but the 42" size of these is a TON bigger than even my largest widescreen 32" multiformat pro CRT – and the colors are very nice as well (and in a dark room I'm OK with the black level even, but a lot do complain about it).
That makes sense, thank you. Which brings me to my next configuration.. Xbox 360 set to 480p > component > RT5x > output 1440p & LCD Scanlines, looks good and feels pretty snappy. I heard that the scaler on the xbox 360 is not that great which is why everyone turns these ports down to 480p....but then it's 480p on a LCD panel (ugly). My question is if the 1/4 frame of input lag generated by the RT5X with Framelock turned on is more or less input lag then simply setting the Xbox 360 to 720p? :?