Worlds best shmup player?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DocHauser

Re: Worlds best shmup player?

Post by DocHauser »

Oh yeah, Twin Galaxies. I wonder if anyone will ever top their Raiden Fighters Jet high score of 15 million?

:wink:
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Elixir wrote:I vote for Dame K.K.
harrihaffi wrote:Hmm...is there a street fighter 2 of shmups? Seems like there are many great shmups but no AMAZING shmup... One game that everyone whould compete in...that whould draw attention and perhaps sharpen skills?

MVHH
stop posting forever.
Agreed.
TarkanX

Post by TarkanX »

Thats one way of tackling it, but the scores on this forum represent the highest scores posted by Western players over the last 30 years, be they 10+ entries or just 3. If the rankings with less than 10 entries have scores that have not been beaten by anyone else, does that make them less impressive or more impressive, because no-one has toppled them.

EDIT:- Let's clarify my point. You are ignoring 1st place scores that have less than 10 entries. You are basically saying that these 1st place Western arcade scores, some of which have stood for more than 20 years, are not worthy of listing as 1st place achievements.
So let's take one shall we.
Let's take Fire Shark (Arcade) with less than 10 entries.
1st place is Mills with 100,000,000+ score and more than ten loops that get more and more difficult to the point where the 10th loop onwards stops awarding bombs.
According to you, this score is not worth listing in your post above.
Can you beat it? Can any Westerner beat it?
Then there's Mills's Raiden II, Raiden DX, Strikers 1945 and Truxton scores, all very close to the WRs. World Records not Western Records.
The reason why I counted 10 entries or above was because it was an "even" cutoff point. While I do agree that there are games with less than 10 entries that have great scores (tviks Gradius 3 Arcade scores in MAME and PS2, for example), the reason I didn't count the scores below 10 entries was because low entries usually signifies (most of the time, but not always) lower competition. If you look at any sport or competition, the higher the talent pool, the better the players are, because there is more at stake. Right now, I'm tired, but tomorrow, I'll add up all the first places scores from here (even the ones with only one entry), just to compare the results from the one I previously posted.
Those easy loop games...

A lot of the Arcadia records for infinite loop games aren't really "world records" - Arcadia makes a cutoff. Arcadia record doesn't necessarily mean world record, either. ;)
You're right. I know BBH beat the Arcade record on Shock Troopers. I'll change that.
There are a lot of Western players who aren't listed that have high level scores elsewhere (like EOJ, Mills, and DEL), and even more scores that aren't submitted to the main tables (my Space Invaders Extreme 2 and Zanac Neo scores would be top of these boards, and SiK killed my RF2 record ages ago). Probably the same deal for the Japanese players list, and for more obscure/not popular games.
Therefore that count, while interesting, isn't completely accurate.
I agree, but I only put out what I was able to see or use. I'm sure though that most of the time, if a score is high enough or breaks a record, that player will want to have it posted, or get the word/proof out (more so for more popular games).
Another possible improvement is to at least attempt to take Guinness and TG into account.
Unless it deals with the popular games from the "golden age" (late 70s to early 80s), then TG/Guinness almost always doesn't have the best records. Some of the lower scores on this site smoke the TG records. And there are a few games (can't remember which ones, it was a MAME game) where you can beat the first level and pass their highest score.
DEL

Post by DEL »

sikraiken wrote:
Those easy loop games...
RNGmaster wrote;
ARE YOU DICKING ME
The 1st loop yeah...sure.
But I'm not referring to 1 loop wonders. I'm talking about Mills on the 4th loop of Raiden II and Raiden DX. I've stood next to him watching Raiden DX's 3rd and 4th loops, still on his first life, and that shit is not EASY!
I also referred to 10+ loops on Truxton at loop 3 max difficulty and 10 loops on Fire Shark - again not at all easy.
Then I referenced Mills on his 2-ALL Strikers 1945 whilst not missing any max (timed) gold bars - yeah sure you're right :arrow: "Those easy loop games".
You have carte blanche to beat any one of those scores....

18mil+ on Raiden II
or 18mil+ on Raiden DX
100,000,000+ on Fire Shark
23,000,000+ on Truxton
or simply 2,000,000+ on Strikers 1945.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

TarkanX: It might be a hassle for you, but some of the top scores from past STGTs haven't been posted in their respective 'normal' high score threads. You can find links to all of the threads at the very bottom of Zach Keene's "High Score Board Index" thread.

DEL: Maybe I'll look at Strikers 1945 after I graduate this semester and have more free time. ;) I don't really care to play infinitely looping games, though, or even games that would loop a few times at least, so I doubt I'll try the rest.
captpain

Post by captpain »

sikraiken wrote: DEL: Maybe I'll look at Strikers 1945 after I graduate this semester and have more free time.
no dont
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Obviously very late to the party, but I gotta put a word in for HFD.

That DOJ 2-all has to be seen to be believed.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

DEL wrote:
sikraiken wrote:
Those easy loop games...
RNGmaster wrote;
ARE YOU DICKING ME
The 1st loop yeah...sure.
But I'm not referring to 1 loop wonders. I'm talking about Mills on the 4th loop of Raiden II and Raiden DX. I've stood next to him watching Raiden DX's 3rd and 4th loops, still on his first life, and that shit is not EASY!
I also referred to 10+ loops on Truxton at loop 3 max difficulty and 10 loops on Fire Shark - again not at all easy.
Then I referenced Mills on his 2-ALL Strikers 1945 whilst not missing any max (timed) gold bars - yeah sure you're right :arrow: "Those easy loop games".
You have carte blanche to beat any one of those scores....

18mil+ on Raiden II
or 18mil+ on Raiden DX
100,000,000+ on Fire Shark
23,000,000+ on Truxton
or simply 2,000,000+ on Strikers 1945.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I should just put away my Raiden II and DX boards because the fact that someone has made it to the 3rd loop at all, let alone on one life is simply unbelievable. How bad are the snipers that far in? Wait don't tell me cuz I won't comprehend it anyway.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I should just put away my Raiden II and DX boards because the fact that someone has made it to the 3rd loop at all, let alone on one life
Yeah, I feel about the same way... except replace boards with Playstation.
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

KindGrind wrote:Obviously very late to the party, but I gotta put a word in for HFD.

Yeah, s'unreal.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

DEL wrote:or simply 2,000,000+ on Strikers 1945.
Has Mills finally reached 2mill??
Could you maybe get the exact score? I'd be glad to add that to my list.

@TarkanX

Here's a list of top scores not limited to this forum alone (also includes score only posted over at cave-stg and STGT scores etc.), that tries to have all western records, although only for a few selected games, that I thought were the most important: Link

Should be easier than going through all the highscore lists of this forum.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
DEL

Post by DEL »

sikraiken wrote;
DEL: Maybe I'll look at Strikers 1945 after I graduate this semester and have more free time. ;) I don't really care to play infinitely looping games, though, or even games that would loop a few times at least, so I doubt I'll try the rest.
I don't blame you on the multi-loopers. You'd have to stay alive/awake/not pass out for 12 hour+ credits if you wanted to beat Mills's 100,000,000 on Fire Shark and 23,000,000 on Truxton/Tatsujin.
Beating his Raiden DX loop 4-3 18,000,000 would require a shorter credit but it would also be extremely difficult.
Getting 2,000,000+ on at Strikers 1945 2-ALL is your best chance from Mills's list.
Plasmo - Has Mills beaten his 1.8mil score? - Yes, I witnessed a 1.9.

burgerkingdiamond wrote;
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I should just put away my Raiden II and DX boards because the fact that someone has made it to the 3rd loop at all, let alone on one life is simply unbelievable. How bad are the snipers that far in? Wait don't tell me cuz I won't comprehend it anyway.
^Sickest live thing I've ever witnessed.
How bad are the snipers on Raiden DX's 4th loop? :arrow: Utterly filthy!
Crazy speed bullets coming at you despite a slow plane. Skimming torrents of bullets. Disgusting, yet beautiful to watch.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Talking of crazy-skilled players, would anyone happen to know who is playing on that video ? (Ketsui's Doom nearly no missed no bomb)

edit : oops NVM I think I found the answer...player name appears to be "gachizake". Anyone know more about him ? (like, does he holds records)
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

I already knew this documentary since 2009.
I recommend everyone watch it.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I keep hearing about all these awesome runs from Mills. Does he save any replays/take videos of his scoring runs?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

No.

There's a 1,7mill Strikers 45 2-ALL, the rest is private iirc.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Plasmo wrote:No.

There's a 1,7mill Strikers 45 2-ALL, the rest is private iirc.
I just watched that and OMG! :shock: You know that the bullets are fast when the damn camera can't catch them.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

KindGrind wrote:Obviously very late to the party, but I gotta put a word in for HFD.

Found an upload of this run on youtube. I have to agree with everyone else... watching this is completely surreal. It's absolutely mindblowing how good this player is.

Here's the start of it, if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAtN-8N4oJI
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

That is pretty impresive...(I think I need to play the game to trully understand that it really is amazing)

MVHH
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

harrihaffi wrote:That is pretty impresive...(I think I need to play the game to trully understand that it really is amazing)

MVHH
This applies to everything, really. You can't truly understand how impressive something is until you're on your way to doing it (and it becomes more and more clear the closer you get).
zlk

Post by zlk »

I re-watched HFD's replay tonight. It is insane to think about all the little things that are done in that replay to make the score higher. HFD also has a ton of raw talent in the sense that he can get through some really bad "unexpected" bullet patterns and hold things together. His dodging at the end of the 2-4 boss is pretty crazy. He is also actively dodging the TLB's last attack which is just unbelievable. Load that last attack up in mame and try to keep track of what is going on without freezing up. :shock:

One other huge reason HFD deserves respect is because he shows his world record runs for everyone to see. :D
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Keade wrote:Talking of crazy-skilled players, would anyone happen to know who is playing on that video ? (Ketsui's Doom nearly no missed no bomb)

edit : oops NVM I think I found the answer...player name appears to be "gachizake". Anyone know more about him ? (like, does he holds records)
Not true. Gachizake is a Japanese word for "victory averted" (combining "kachi" to win and "sakeru" to avoid). So that just means "The ultimate example of failing right before victory".
I think.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still looking for that player's name, then.
Although I must admit that watching the DDP DOJ replays mentionned above (especially 2-4, 2-5 bosses) was at least as impressive as the Ketsui vid' I've linked to.
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

sikraiken wrote:
harrihaffi wrote:That is pretty impresive...(I think I need to play the game to trully understand that it really is amazing)

MVHH
This applies to everything, really. You can't truly understand how impressive something is until you're on your way to doing it (and it becomes more and more clear the closer you get).
True! Yet I think when it comes to bullethell the opposite is allso true... Bullethell games offen look harder than they are.. And therefore I don't know about the true level of skill that is shown on the video because I haven't played the game. Yet because I have played other games with the bullethell-element, I know it's not as hard as it looks. So my experiens with similar games makes this video seem less impressive...

MVHH
TarkanX

Post by TarkanX »

I just wanted to say that I'm still going to finish tabulating the results of first place players for all games for this website. I've been busy, but by the end of the week, I'll hopefully have it done.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I fully expect to be middle of the pack, if not near the bottom. ( ´ ▽ ` )
tviks

Post by tviks »

Shatterhand wrote:Maybe he could post here and clear-up things. :)
Haven't posted in a long time. Anyway, the only TAS I ever did was the Snes Gradius 3 video in 2004.

Also sucks that PS3 Gradius was cancelled. Not that I was really looking forward to it, but still. Gaming nowadays seems to just suck more and more anyway. Maybe I'll quit after this generation.
TarkanX

Post by TarkanX »

I apologize, but I don't seem to have the desire to tabulate the rankings of 1st place placers. There are simply too many, and I've been trying to find a job as well as study for certifications during that time. Maybe when I'm less busy, I may try to get back to this. I think most players know who the best people are on this forum, though. If there was a way for multiple people (instead of one person) to tabulate the records, it would make things much easier.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Tabulating who has the most 1st places is not necessarily the best way of deciding who is the best player on this forum. Even trying to decide what the criteria are for determining the best all around player would be extremely difficult. Some people admire players who can last a long time on certain games, some people think finishing hard games are what the best players do, 1ccing many games shows certain skill, and some people are concerned with scores.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

So the wizards over at 2ch are claiming that famed scorer BGR-44 is a no-good cheater and all his scores and videos are bunk. R-Type, DOJ, Gradius...all of it. Sad if true.