XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Artemio

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister (now available !)

Post by Artemio »

Fudoh wrote:
- why I can't see scanlines with xbox360 connected via hdmi?
because Meister mode doesn't support the digital inputs.
This can be done, although I have only tested it with the ps3. You need to reduce the source resolution, in this case the xbox. Set it to 480p or 720p and then add the scanlines, the meister cannot add scanlines to a same resolution output.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

So, 480p in (HDMI) -> 720p out with scanlines worked for you ? Didn't for me with the initial FW. Time to retest :)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Here are some XRGB-mini adapters I built recently and the Playstation RGB cables I was metioning earlier in this thread:

TurboCro

Post by TurboCro »

RGB32E wrote:Here are some XRGB-mini adapters I built recently and the Playstation RGB cables I was metioning earlier in this thread:
Nice work!
Capoz

Post by Capoz »

because then Intensity can't work with the odd refreh rate the neo delivers. Have you tried switching off the v-sync option (this was broken in the earlier fw, so I'm not sure about the current one).
Done! but only if I set xrgb-mini to 720p, with 480p intensity (set to NTSC progressive) don't see it
depends on your personal taste, really. The output resolutions deliver completely different pictures. 480p is very CRT-like. 720p looks like a tri-sync cab with 240p and 1080p looks like an emulator.
480 it's the best for NEO!
because you did something wrong. Should work without any problems.
I'm searching a solution
This can be done, although I have only tested it with the ps3. You need to reduce the source resolution, in this case the xbox. Set it to 480p or 720p and then add the scanlines, the meister cannot add scanlines to a same resolution output.
I try it later

Thank you Fudoh and Artemio
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Fudoh wrote:With H_SCALER set to 8, V_SCALER to 6 and SHARPNESS to 2 along with LBX mode and V_SIZE manually set to max, the picture is 100% identical to the XRGB-3.
Image Mode: Standard
Aspect Ratio: Auto
Screen Set: LB2 (????)
V_SIZE = V_Width: 63 (????)
microsnk

Post by microsnk »

Hi, friends....

One question:

XRGB-mini Framemeister works with Pal consoles?

Regards micro.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

hardly. Some PAL RGB and YUV sources work, but the output is 60Hz right now and the pixel mapping is off....
microsnk

Post by microsnk »

Thanks for the info Fudoh.

Other two questions:

In XRGB-mini Framemeister if the output is 60Hz and the input is a 50Hz Console, What happen ???? If pixel mapping is off, What happen too ????

In europe what is the best store online to buy Usa o Jap Console Systems ??? I am determined to update my Pal´s consoles.

Regards micro
Retro Access

Post by Retro Access »

Why are people using 50Hz retro consoles? I'm confused. You pay $500 for a video upscaler and still use 50hz? I can't stand the slow speed/sound. Have been importing since 1995...

No offense but this one's pretty confusing to me. I do wonder about the reason, I get orders for PAL versions of things constantly and I just personally don't use the things.

In Europe I don't know. Depends on your country? I would just snag things off eBay from good rated sellers. There's imported units that have been knocking around in the market since they came out. If you buy from a store, often they bring things in from Japan and the yen to euro is absolutely dismal at the moment. I'd try to get an existing system off the market.
Capoz

Post by Capoz »

NEOGEO AES rgb bypass, rgb cable XRGB-Mini
video mode: Meister
resolution 720p

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

interesting to see that the 720p scalines look WAY different when captured compared to what an actual TV shows.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

In XRGB-mini Framemeister if the output is 60Hz and the input is a 50Hz Console, What happen ????
the framerate conversion causes slight studder on smooth scrolling games.
If pixel mapping is off, What happen too ????
image can turn out too large with a part cut off at the bottom or top.
Capoz

Post by Capoz »

I don't understand why If I select NTSC progressive (408p), xrgb-mini 480p output, the intensity shuttle doesn't show the image

any ideas?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, sorry, can't test it either, since my Blackmagic does not accept 480p.
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

Capoz wrote:I don't understand why If I select NTSC progressive (408p), xrgb-mini 480p output, the intensity shuttle doesn't show the image

any ideas?
Color space issue?

Maybe the color space is force to RGB on the mini and the capture device don't like it (or vice-versa?)? Did you try set it to Auto? RGB sources will still output with RGB color space but if you throw in a PS2/Wii with 480p YPbPr analog componant output then the HDMI will use the YCbCr color space.

Worth trying I guess.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Capoz wrote:I don't understand why If I select NTSC progressive (408p), xrgb-mini 480p output, the intensity shuttle doesn't show the image

any ideas?
Check your Mini's frame rate settings. Try locked and unlocked.

Has anyone tried the Mini's aspect ratio settings? Auto, 4:3, 16:9
Is it working correctly?
Fudoh wrote:With H_SCALER set to 8, V_SCALER to 6 and SHARPNESS to 2 along with LBX mode and V_SIZE manually set to max, the picture is 100% identical to the XRGB-3.
Fudoh, are these the part of the settings you used for PSP?

Image Mode: Standard
Aspect Ratio: Auto
Screen Set: LB2 (?)
V_SIZE = V_Width: 63 (?)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Has anyone tried the Mini's aspect ratio settings? Auto, 4:3, 16:9
basically yes. Remember that 4:3 is 4:3 for 720p and 1080p, but 16:9 is 4:3 for 480p if your TV already has a 4:3 mode 480p.
Fudoh, are these the part of the settings you used for PSP?
you get more details if you don't use standard processing, but e.g. Picture or Movie or Game 2. Can't the exact screen size number, but to achieve proper 16:9 I think you have to max out the V_SIZE option.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Fudoh wrote:no, sorry, can't test it either, since my Blackmagic does not accept 480p.
Ooh... that reminds me that BMD added 480p HDMI support to the Intensity Pro last year (HDMI yes, component no)! I'll have to try capture from the mini one of these days. :)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Why are people using 50Hz retro consoles? I'm confused. You pay $500 for a video upscaler and still use 50hz? I can't stand the slow speed/sound. Have been importing since 1995...
That would really depend on what you like to play. If you like the Amiga, for instance, which I do, many games are PAL optimised since the Amiga line was a lot more successful over here than in the US or Japan. Not every game runs worse in 60hz compared to 50hz, some titles are optimised perfectly, some I believe actually run better in 50hz, I think (though I'm not sure and the differences were minimal) that the PAL version of Nights on the Saturn ran better than the NTSC one, for instance. I'd love to get 50hz support in the Frame Meister but I'm not holding my breath.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

If anyone in the world cares, the Neo Geo CD (regular top loading version) works perfectly with the XRGB-Mini as one would expect. Just beautiful and crispy clear RGB :)

I did have to use the LM1881 circuit to get proper c.sync though, as the sync input on the consoles CXA1645 produced a very dark image that would completely disappear after a few seconds after tuning it on.
Retro Access

Post by Retro Access »

Good news.

Is everyone getting good results then with every console through a sync seperator?

I am going to start supplying a SCART>XRGB Mini adaptor if so.

Or if people prefer, an XRGB>Mini adaptor with the sync seperator. The former may be better though as there are more available SCARTs than there are XRGB cables.

Please contact me via PM here if you bought off me previously and had bad results on the Mini. You may need to send the cable back as I left the 5V pin out of previous cables. But I am going to supply you an adaptor for free to test. I have the parts in stock now. I know everyone who had an issue with Mini sync was also posting here, largely because I directed them to the thread. Or you can contact me on eBay, but my eBay mails get extremely clogged with loads of people asking about compatibility with other stuff.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The NGCD worked fine with regular composite video as sync, but ever since the XRGB-3 I won't settle for anything less than real C.sync, just to eliminate all possibilities of dropouts. Also the Extron RGBHV Matrix I use for RGB switching only works with C.sync... ;)
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

darthcloud wrote:SNES picture stuff
OK I have an update now that I spent tons of money finding a few different SNES models. I think you knew this info already, though.

The SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 model does in fact have awesome picture quality. It's as good as the SNES Mini/Jr/2, except it still has that ugly thick vertical discoloration in games. Does anyone know what causes this, and why it's not present in the Mini/Jr/2? Here's something that might be helpful: that vertical bar is way more noticeable when using the PowerPak flash cart. It's way less noticeable on the Super Everdrive or a real cart. Perhaps the PowerPak draws more power than a regular cart than the EverDrive does?

The RGB-02 does in fact have crappy picture quality. I'm not sure why this is, because the RGB-02 came out in between the 2 SNES systems with the best picture (the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 and the SNES 2/jr/mini). Seems very odd. Also, the RGB-02 does in face have the same decoder as the SNES 2 (the chip you have to solder to in the SNES 2 to get RGB). This means that the improved picture quality has nothing to do with the decoder.

In my tests, the SNES 2 has the best picture quality (no thick vertical jailbar unless it's the rarest of scenarios like the title screen of FF6 using a PowerPak), the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 has the second best picture quality (beautiful, crisp, but has the ugly jailbar), and the rest of the SNES consoles, including the RGB-02, all look terrible in comparison.

Hope this info was useful to some people!
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Hamburglar wrote:In my tests, the SNES 2 has the best picture quality (no thick vertical jailbar unless it's the rarest of scenarios like the title screen of FF6 using a PowerPak), the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 has the second best picture quality (beautiful, crisp, but has the ugly jailbar), and the rest of the SNES consoles, including the RGB-02, all look terrible in comparison.

Thanks! IIRC, when I modded my SNES 2 for RGB I seem to recall it having a brighter sharper image than the 1-Chip, but had more intense ghost interference (e.g. Mario in SMW would have a slight ghost image to the right on bright solid colored backgrounds). I'm very tempted to redo the mod and add ferrite beads to the RGB signals to see if that improves the PQ!
Last edited by RGB32E on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Retro Access wrote:Good news.

Is everyone getting good results then with every console through a sync seperator?
Based off of experience using the XRGB-3 and mini, I suggest it best to avoid using sync separators unless there's actually a need for one.
Retro Access wrote:I know everyone who had an issue with Mini sync was also posting here, largely because I directed them to the thread. Or you can contact me on eBay, but my eBay mails get extremely clogged with loads of people asking about compatibility with other stuff.
Time to compile a FAQ to point people to? :shock:

I also build cables and adapters for the mini. The VGA adapter pictured above includes a sync separator. :D
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

RGB32E wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:In my tests, the SNES 2 has the best picture quality (no thick vertical jailbar unless it's the rarest of scenarios like the title screen of FF6 using a PowerPak), the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 has the second best picture quality (beautiful, crisp, but has the ugly jailbar), and the rest of the SNES consoles, including the RGB-02, all look terrible in comparison.

Thanks! IIRC, when I modded my SNES 2 for RGB I seem to recall it having a brighter sharper image than the 1-Chip, but had more intense ghost interference (e.g. Mario in SMW would have a slight ghost image to the right on bright solid colored backgrounds). I'm very tempted to redo the mod and add ferrite beads to the RGB signals to see if that improves the PQ!
No problem! I will look for this issue in Super Mario World, though I never noticed it. Just place Mario in front of a bright object and look for a "halo" of his image to appear to the right of him?

I will look to see if that's in the 1CHIP as well.
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

Hamburglar wrote:
RGB32E wrote:

No problem! I will look for this issue in Super Mario World, though I never noticed it. Just place Mario in front of a bright object and look for a "halo" of his image to appear to the right of him?

I will look to see if that's in the 1CHIP as well.
To see the ghosting you need to move. I suggest to go in level Donut plains 4 and run till the end of the level. Check for ghosting of the Green bush in the sky.

In that level with my SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01 the ghosting is very high! But in other level than this one I don't really notice ghosting.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

Where on the snes is the revision listed? I have three I can check today.
darthcloud

Post by darthcloud »

Zapf wrote:Where on the snes is the revision listed? I have three I can check today.
You need to took it apart and check on the motherboard top on the front side (the side where is reset switch). Need to remove the metallic shield too see it.