... and it made me smile.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TransatlanticFoe

Re: ... and it made me smile.

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Lemnear wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:05 pm I found my very old encyclopedia OMNIA 2000

"Omnia is a multimedia encyclopedia published by De Agostini. It is distributed on 5 CD-ROMs. It includes an encyclopedia of 40,000 entries, a dictionary of 15,500 and a geographical atlas. There are also videos, GIF animations and 21,000 3D maps, anatomies and images. The narrative voice is by the voice actor Carlo Valli.

It has a section with the biographies of the main famous people of the world of every era and can be updated from the internet. It also includes research by subject areas and innovative design. Furthermore, it uses Boolean logical operators for searches."

Spoiler

how much i used it in elementary school... it's one of the things that most shaped my current tastes, like the whole 90/05 era probably... i miss that atmosphere of a utopian future.
"Very old encyclopedia" should be a hefty set of dusty leather bound books! I feel so old right now that CD-ROM encyclopedias could be considered ancient :lol: It's what, 25 years old? That'd be like thinking a '70s encyclopedia was grandad shit in the 90s.... oh right :D
Lander

Post by Lander »

Reminds me of when I called a certain episode of Scooby Doo 'ancient' as a kid and caused my decade-or-so-older sister to pout about her age :lol: all in relativity!

CD-ROM encyclopedias take me back to dicking around with Encarta on my neighbour's office PC. No interest in the actual dictionary part of course - it was all about the supplementary edutainment quiz disguised as a dungeon crawler!

Funny, these days I'm actually nerdy enough to get hype for Boolean Logical Operators - with a bit of wiggling, you might be able to abuse those and make the system perform arbitrary calculations, like some sort of arcane technomancer.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

orange808 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:08 pm
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:07 pm I won't invest the time and energy to sift through this confusing mish mash of arguments and incel-flavoured antifeminist ranting,
I'm not right wing and you should learn to read. My point of view isn't confusing and I have my facts straight.
Glad we cleared that up! :lol:
BIL wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:01 pm Imagine a spilled cup of coffee totalling your dick and balls in one shot, sounds like the setup to a Death Wish sequel.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Lander wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:41 pm Reminds me of when I called a certain episode of Scooby Doo 'ancient' as a kid and caused my decade-or-so-older sister to pout about her age :lol: all in relativity!

CD-ROM encyclopedias take me back to dicking around with Encarta on my neighbour's office PC. No interest in the actual dictionary part of course - it was all about the supplementary edutainment quiz disguised as a dungeon crawler!

Funny, these days I'm actually nerdy enough to get hype for Boolean Logical Operators - with a bit of wiggling, you might be able to abuse those and make the system perform arbitrary calculations, like some sort of arcane technomancer.
I love it, but in particular throughout that period, there was a different, futuristic design that projected you into the future (Utopic Future)... today's stuff projects me into the present instead... and doesn't give me any kind of inspiration.
Frutiger Aero // Y2K
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I'm enjoying the Toys R Us backlash this morning from "creatives".

No worries. Get retraining. :lol:

Learn to code. :lol:
We apologise for the inconvenience
Lander

Y'arr!

Post by Lander »

Ere, cap'n - if knights be measurin' their prowess in pauldrons, what do us pirates be usin'?

Why, it be Eyepatches, lad! Haharr!

Lemnear wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:14 am I love it, but in particular throughout that period, there was a different, futuristic design that projected you into the future (Utopic Future)... today's stuff projects me into the present instead... and doesn't give me any kind of inspiration.
Frutiger Aero // Y2K
Yeah, nothing so wistful or provocative as nostalgia for a future that never came and angst toward corpo-capitalism!

The very term Web 2.0 Gloss makes me gag a little. Web 2.0 - on the whole - was a terrible, terrible mistake :lol:
ryu

Post by ryu »

blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Lander

Red Alert

Post by Lander »

Getting a Vote Communist! brochure through my letterbox this morning.

As a rule, political postings are destined for the recycle bin regardless of provenance, but it gave me a chuckle to see the hammer and sickle stood alongside the usual crop of British Endemic Party A, British Endemic Party B and The Local Local Party bumph.

Alas, I fear they promise too much - redistribution of power is an expected bullet, but ending various overseas conflicts with a view to global peace is a bit of an overreach for this pokey little island. We're not exactly World Police over here :lol:
Last edited by Lander on Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Nice! Back at my home town, I could vote Monster Raving Loony Party. Alas the only fringe nutters here are a pacifist group who think we should demilitarise Britain then chill out smoking weed all day. At least the Lib Dems would leave us with a few Typhoon squadrons to deal with Russian bombers!
Arino
Banned User

Post by Arino »

Today I learned how to upload images on https://imgur.com to post them here on the forum ... and it made me smile.

Is this how I am supposed to use this thread? :)
Kacho...ON!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

The Baltimore subreddit is the home to many SWAT raid photos and videos. There was a doozy in the county earlier today, and someone posted this gem in the comments.

My favorite is the cop that keeps looking at the lemon cake.
BIL

MILF HUNTER RE:AWAKEN ~ WHITE QUEEN RIDES AGAIN

Post by BIL »

Fucking Christ lads! By God and Harry and Saint George! (◎w◎;) As a leal beastman of the former colonies, I always held a feral MILFy reverence for auld news slapper Kay Burley. Image But tonight, hearing her shouts and moans of anguished primal release, I could practically feel her nude body undulating feverishly against mine! Clinging desperately to me, her face buried in my neck as my Beast Hand liberated her auld pussy like a vintage Famicom cart from its mint CIB prison! Cue THE THEME OF PROFESSOR DR. BIRUFORD, as your humble thrall proceeds to dutifully slake his WHITE QUEEN's ancestral desire for the BEAST ROD AND SCEPTRE OF WEST INDIA that is HERS BY DIVINE RIGHT ImageImage

Wretched beasts, the lot of us. Image Do you know how many mongled Famicom boxes I've seen, in my time? There's no need to v-crease the lid with your ham thumb, you godless lesser animals. Do better than yourselves! This loyal servant will teach you a Beast Technique! First, the setup, assuming dextral; invert as needed, per sinistral. Extend your right middle and index fingers in parallel, sliding them under the box, which is cradled in your left palm. Now, for the real technique: use your thumb to delicately clamp the box, before gently teasing its edge into the gap between front cover and top flap. Mildly flex the cover upward with your thumb, alternating by pulling down/back on the flap with equal care, gradually widening the gap. Do not force either! The box has a natural give, responsive to the mild pressures exerted by your hand. Soon, as the gap admits more of your thumb, you will feel the flap giving way, before it pops free, and the riches of compassionate handling avail themselves to you! Altogether, it is not unlike the patiently coaxing pressures one employs as a gentleman pleasing his ladyfrie-

Chaps, I just realised why there are so many mongled Famicom boxes. Image

And sexually frustrated women. :shock:

EDIT: AH FUCK LADS! I WAS THINKING OF HER FROM FIFTEEN YEARS AGO (◎w◎;)
NAWWW
(`w´メ)

It's too late lads. Ben Franklin a great white man, but I respectfully differ on some things, and GILFs be one. (˘w˘) Anyway, it kinda sucks for those having any illusions of British media impartiality! My once-MILFy lady was in flushed ecstatic delight at her team's success! :shock:

But a rod is a rod, you know? (■`w´■)

EDIT2: Waaait a minute. What is going on with your news MILFs, lads? :o
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vol.2

Re: MILF HUNTER RE:AWAKEN ~ WHITE QUEEN RIDES AGAIN

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:07 pm Fucking Christ lads! As an ardent beastman of the former colonies, I always had a feral MILFy fondness for
auld news slapper Kay Burley
Jfc you really could hear her "o face" in that one. I mean, good for them all. I know little to nothing about the British government, but I listened to some of what that tory PM twat had to say before and it was awful. John Oliver did a big old piece on it last week.
BIL

Re: MILF HUNTER RE:AWAKEN ~ WHITE QUEEN RIDES AGAIN

Post by BIL »

vol.2 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:22 pm
BIL wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:07 pm Fucking Christ lads! As an ardent beastman of the former colonies, I always had a feral MILFy fondness for
auld news slapper Kay Burley
Jfc you really could hear her "o face" in that one. I mean, good for them all.
It's a MAD MILFADEMIC, brother vol.2! :o The second auld bird's flustered joy actually got her BBC privileges revoked, phwoaar m8. :cool: The poor woman temporarily forgot her august station, overcome by her excitement for the Johnson! :shock:

Can't blame the Big British Castle, really. Hers was the sparkling gaze of delighted selection, naming you her Second Best Bond, whereupon her heart cries out for you to roger more! If our lady telejournalist is so enflamed by BoJo having his poncing collar felt, she's liable to join Ms. Burley in full-throated climax, should the fat foppish twat get shot, or choke to death on scampi! All in view of the king's expensively taxpayer-funded cameras Image

Well, speaking of rogering, DON'T MONGLE THE FAMICOM BOX YOU HAM-HANDED SPACKERS (■`w´■) Christ, sorry, this really is an uncanny confluence of lovely creations in need of practiced handling for ideal results. Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Iga has made a 5th anniversary video for Bloodstained, and with it he dropped that a new title in the series will be forthcoming.

I finished the first game what feels like forever ago now, but I never really dug through all the extra content and hidden crap. I guess I found the "crafting" stuff to be a big too overly labored and under fulfilling, but hey that's most video game collecting nowadays isn't it?

Whatever happened to the old days when you were just searching for medal to shoots ala RE4?
Arino
Banned User

Post by Arino »

vol.2 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 2:20 am Whatever happened to the old days when you were just searching for medal to shoots ala RE4?
:lol:

For the last ~10 years there is no game without a "workbench" in it :roll:
Kacho...ON!
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

I'm on the beach (now) at the bar, I was in line for a cocktail, and a guy with tattoos on his face asks me if I can get something for him so he jumped the line (he wanted some papers to smoke). He tells me that he pays for the cocktail... but he took the receipt... so I didn't have it when I had to request the cocktail...
He wanted to rip me off like that, but in the end they gave me the cocktail anyway and I paid only €1.5. Perfect! :lol:

Also nearby there is the Air Force, so hi-tech fighters and helicopters fly over the coast every now and then, very cool :D
It's the most SHMUPS thing there can be!
BIL

A "LAST RESORT" MEASURE THAT MUST BE DONE WITH PRECISION (`w´メ) (◎w◎;)

Post by BIL »

Guy innocently asked me if I'd TASed my Firemen (SFC) run, years ago, and I was a moderately big dick to him in response imo. 3; Not a preposterously massive one, just blunt. Like a cock! I harbour many such... Internet Regrets Image Image Image

Checked his channel while going over my playlist, wondering how he'd got on with the game, and saw he'd nailed the run too. Image Thats fuckin hardcore :o The Firemans is great! Don't be fooled by the pacifistic premise! While you certainly do the noble profession proud - in spectacular Die Hard via Valken blockbuster style, at that - this is 110% Arcade-Bred Seek/Destroy. Image Fight fire with violence, and/or science! Friendly on defaults, but top rank is quite tricky to nail down; definitely a cab-worthy run.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daytime Waitress

Re: A "LAST RESORT" MEASURE THAT MUST BE DONE WITH PRECISION (`w´メ) (◎w◎;)

Post by Daytime Waitress »

BIL wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:26 pm Guy innocently asked me if I'd TASed my Firemen (SFC) run, years ago, and I was a moderately big dick to him in response imo. 3; Not a preposterously massive one, just blunt. Like a cock! I harbour many such... Internet Regrets Image Image Image

Checked his channel while going over my playlist, wondering how he'd got on with the game, and saw he'd nailed the run too. Image Thats fuckin hardcore :o The Firemans is great! Don't be fooled by the pacifistic premise! While you certainly do the noble profession proud - in spectacular Die Hard via Valken blockbuster style, at that - this is 110% Arcade-Bred Seek/Destroy. Image Fight fire with violence, and/or science! Friendly on defaults, but top rank is quite tricky to nail down; definitely a cab-worthy run.
There's an alternate timeline out there somewhere in the universe where the BBC proffered a Fireman Sam license for localisation and it blew up with the younguns, necessitating an accompanying 16-bit, overhead Crazy Taxi outing starring none other than Postman Pat.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I often marvel at what a bullseye Ghostbusters license it'd have made - the zako and boss fires alike are so convincingly diabolic, some mischievous or dozy, some toweringly imperious, others gnashing beasts - but that's even better. :mrgreen:
Lander

俳句

Post by Lander »

Journey's lengthy end.
Inner peace seized forcibly.
YouTube cleaned of gack.
Daytime Waitress

Re: 俳句

Lander wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:01 pm Journey's lengthy end.
YouTube cleaned of gack.
I've been using the nuclear option for a while now:

https://unhook.app/

Just the video, absolutely nothing else.
No adverts and/or adverts masquerading as content clogging up the view.
No comments (BrianM said a while back that "reading every dipshit's opinion online is like rolling your brain in broken glass" and I think about that every single time I use youtube).
Arino
Banned User

Post by Arino »

Daytime Waitress wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:59 pm
Lander wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:01 pm Journey's lengthy end.
YouTube cleaned of gack.
I've been using the nuclear option for a while now:

https://unhook.app/

Just the video, absolutely nothing else.
No adverts and/or adverts masquerading as content clogging up the view.
No comments (BrianM said a while back that "reading every dipshit's opinion online is like rolling your brain in broken glass" and I think about that every single time I use youtube).
The problem is this won't change the content itself, like the dumb click baity titles and any dumb opinion in the videos themselves :mrgreen:
Kacho...ON!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Daytime Waitress wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:59 pmNo comments (BrianM said a while back that "reading every dipshit's opinion online is like rolling your brain in broken glass" and I think about that every single time I use youtube).
Eh, as I told BIL a while back when I asked him to open comments on his videos, niche videos such as shmup/arcade clears tend to attract more focused discussion or questions from newer players. Disabling or ignoring comments when you're putting videos out on Youtube feels somewhat irresponsible to me. Sure, you do get a share of silly comments at times, but I've had a lot of people reach out to ask questions on a variety of my videos. Same goes for watching footage, there's sometimes some neat discussions and infodumps that happen in the comment section for that kind of thing.

Of course, once your viewership reaches the kind of size where the comment section balloons to 100s or 1000s of comments a day, then it's obviously harder to meaningfully respond to them all, but at the size typical shmup players reach, I think it's quite manageable, and I wouldn't disable the comment section if I'm watching such videos.

Ads and the like of course can get bent. They're literally never relevant to my interests and actively dissuade me from buying their product, usually.
Daytime Waitress

Daytime Waitress wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:59 pmNo comments (BrianM said a while back that "reading every dipshit's opinion online is like rolling your brain in broken glass" and I think about that every single time I use youtube).
Arino wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:14 amThe problem is this won't change the content itself, like the dumb click baity titles and any dumb opinion in the videos themselves :mrgreen:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:54 pm Eh, as I told BIL a while back when I asked him to open comments on his videos, niche videos such as shmup/arcade clears tend to attract more focused discussion or questions from newer players. Disabling or ignoring comments when you're putting videos out on Youtube feels somewhat irresponsible to me. Sure, you do get a share of silly comments at times, but I've had a lot of people reach out to ask questions on a variety of my videos. Same goes for watching footage, there's sometimes some neat discussions and infodumps that happen in the comment section for that kind of thing.

Of course, once your viewership reaches the kind of size where the comment section balloons to 100s or 1000s of comments a day, then it's obviously harder to meaningfully respond to them all, but at the size typical shmup players reach, I think it's quite manageable, and I wouldn't disable the comment section if I'm watching such videos.
You're both dead right, you know?
It's about fine-tuning your experience so that you only encounter the genuine - the helpful, the supportive, the informative, the creative; rather than a motherfucker trying to sell you something.
It's just easiest to do that by relying on anything other than the algorithm to recommend channels to grow your library; and to do so from a slate cleansed by fire and gradually open back up, rather than being deluged by a torrent of excrement from the outset.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Definitely - there's too much noise out there to take head-on, the net has reached the point where curating it is a prerequisite for staying sane.

Smaller, friendlier communities are a good fix for the social side, but the content aspect in broad is still wanting. I feel the same about ads being actively discouraging - they're invasive to the point of resentment.
To wit, I've started digging into more yet more arcane solutions to the media syndication issue - munging RSS feeds and scrobbling... Wait, what is 'scrobbling'? :?
Regardless, sanitizers like Invidious and blocker extensions are a nice step, but inverting the problem and having media of interest come in of its own accord seems like it'd be nicer than venturing into the wilds to retrieve it.

Where is Bryan, anyway? I hope he's not been swallowed completely by the Apocalypse thread.
Arino wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:14 am The problem is this won't change the content itself, like the dumb click baity titles and any dumb opinion in the videos themselves :mrgreen:
Mostly true, though there's a thing called SponsorBlock that can make your media player skip over baked-in ads, lengthy intros, self-shilling segments, and other such cruft. Kind of like having your own sympathetically-minded editor :)
BIL

Unbearable Shiteness Of Being 3;

Post by BIL »

I think I found the ultimate Youtube video/comment combo. :cool:

>EVERYTHING THAT HAD 2 GO WRONG FOR "GRIZZLY MAN" 2 MEET HE DEMISE

Blimey!

>a much better video!

Now, it's sometimes claimed "LOL LMAO HE SURWIWE 13 YEARS w/ BEAR," but - beyond "thirteen summers" being a very different span of time than "thirteen years!" - what these shitbirds ignore is Bear Rank. Fuckface was hanging around fat, well-fed bears who'd been gorging on salmon and berries all summer. 3; Bear Aggression goes through the fuckin roof in the pre-hibernation months! Formerly lazy and disinterested furry friends will now rip your head off to fuck your hot gushing neck stump Image

And wouldn't you know it: the first year he tried that shit on - after a fit of pique at airline personnel! - was his last. Bears immediately ate he head off! :shock:

A fascinating - and sobering! Image - tale of addiction. Your dopamine can kill you!
Mischief Maker wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:35 pmTimothy Treadwell was running away from his own homosexuality.
I always come back to it, either via Herr Herzog's classic doc, or Opie & Anthony's classic bit w/Bill Burr!

I hope Shumps War Hero Rob is doing ok out there, and not attempting any of this foolish bullshit. 3;

(insert "Hitler did nothing wrong" to complete this YT Comments Simulator Image)
Arino
Banned User

Re: Unbearable Shiteness Of Being 3;

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:47 am Herr Herzog's classic doc
Cool I'm goanna watch this.
Kacho...ON!
BIL

STANDing BY ONESELF

Post by BIL »

SovCit 101 / How To Win At Traffic Court. I just love the Hellsinker imagery. :cool: (or perhaps JSS/Cardinal Sins?)
INH Superplay DVD Presents THE FUNDAMENTALIST GUNDHARA
His ADMIRAL and PRIEST forms are weak against NOA_Vulcan and YWH_Beam, respectively. :o
RGC

Re: Unbearable Shiteness Of Being 3;

Post by RGC »

Arino wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:49 am
BIL wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:47 am Herr Herzog's classic doc
Cool I'm goanna watch this.

It blew me away. Really riveting stuff.
Spoiler
It's been a while since I saw it, but I recall thinking that surely no one could be that deluded, and that perhaps some force within was subjecting him to a kind of penance, making him ritually put his life in the hands of the gods (poised, throat exposed, between the Claws of Damocles). I'm sure he alludes more than once to his crazy mixed up past with drugs and alcohol, so who knows how bad things got, and how badly he needed to atone?

But on the flipside, the one spanner in the works of the atonement theory is the fact he put his girlfriend in that situation. Why did he do that! This pretty much nullifies any empathy I might otherwise have had for the bloke and reduces the case to a tragedy involving a severely mentally unwell man (so destructively unwell that empathy fails to connect), and his impressionable partner, neither of who deserved death.