Shmups as an eSport

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DMC

Re: Shmups as an eSport

Post by DMC »

BIL wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:29 am In a clash between masters, victory rests upon the final desperation technique "FLYING SHART" Image Image Image
:lol:
It's not gonna be clean, no.
I assume you guys have seen the Kumite competitions Aktane, Rezardi and Mark have set up at various times?
Yes, these Kumite and Shmup Slam events are a great service to the community, lot's of entertaining runs there.

Two skilled players going head-to-head on arcade cabinets in front of an live audience, preferably with some commentary, is for me the peak in terms of STG demonstrations.
For example, Plasmo vs. Eaglet on Battle Garegga and Fufufu vs SPS in DDP DOJ. Unfourtunately, there are not that many games where two or more players from the community are actively playing at a top level.
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

I'll have to check out those Kumite tournaments, it sounds like an interesting format!

Regarding all the money talk... personally, I was envisioning something more grassroots anyway. I think small pot bonuses might be fine, but I don't think you need money on the table for any of it-- The genre being so niche means it'd inevitably stay on the amateur side anyway, at least short-term. I just think that coming up with different types of tournaments would be a nice way to expand the forms of competition in this genre. Maybe get a few shmups designed specifically for that kind of play, that'd be neat.

...Say, maybe a co-op mode with separate scores would be something. Infinite lives, aimed bullets alternate between players, so you're incentivized to try and juke around them to create weird patterns they'll get hit by. Could do fun stuff with bombing and aimed revenge bullets too... hm.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:36 pm There are already exhibition spectator events, so it's probably an inevitability. It's just waiting for someone to come up with the right game. Things like Twinkle Star Sprites or Kingdom Grand Prix are probably the better direction. I can't think of an established eSport game that doesn't involve direct head to head competition.
I would kill for a proper multiplayer iteration on Kingdom Grand Prix, I adore that game.

For now though, Twinkle Star Sprites and Change Air Blade are probably the best bet for a proper tournament setup. Rival Megagun also exists, although I have no idea if it actually improves on TSS any.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.