GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by kitty666cats »

SGGG2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 pm How's the quality when used as a straight transcoder to VGA or component?
I don’t think anyone addressed this, but in my opinion it’s a terrible idea: a transcoder shouldn’t need to be connected to wi-fi, as well as be incapable of outputting an interlaced signal. It also chroma subsamples to 4:2:2
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156201953166

This looks like it could be of good use for any DIY folks who want an easy SCART input. I’m not 100% on what sync voltage/polarity (99.9% sure negative for the latter) the GBS molex input expects, but I’m sure my man No “Master of GBS” Affinity could weigh in with his opinions on if he thinks this would work.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

kitty666cats wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:24 pm https://www.ebay.com/itm/156201953166

This looks like it could be of good use for any DIY folks who want an easy SCART input. I’m not 100% on what sync voltage/polarity (99.9% sure negative for the latter) the GBS molex input expects, but I’m sure my man No “Master of GBS” Affinity could weigh in with his opinions on if he thinks this would work.
Wow, i'm honored by such a prestigious nickname. :D

I'm assuming it should be 1vpp, with the 100ohm resistor between sync and ground. Basically, the cable should be pass through and the sync to ground resistor should be applied as recommended in order to bring console levels into tolerance for the GBS.

Looks like a cleaner version of what I cobbled together a few years ago, but for the 8p input.
Spoiler
strnadik

Post by strnadik »

Anyyy idea why this is happening? Soldered up a SCART to RGBS input to GBS-C, intercepted with an LM1881N sync stripper built accordingly.
Sidenote: There is a missing cap on the board but i bridged it. Possible cause? I dont know!

Dailenth

Post by Dailenth »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:37 pm
Dailenth wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:14 pm
The only problem with these open source forks is that they're never maintained, they release version 1.0 and just abandon the sourcecode. Thankfully the official firmware is fully compatible as expected, though you need to compile the code yourself, and follow the steps carefully.
Thanks for sharing. Isn't any of these prebuilt units sold with a properly updated code in 2024?
Hello, I'm afraid none of the currently shipped chinese GBS-C prebuilts have updated firmware. You have to do it yourself. I don't recommend using the MicroUSB method, but use WiFi Flashing instead if you have a spare wifi "dongle" adaptor. I have using the term dongle by the way.

You have to download the official gbsc-control-master.zip from github then follow this guide to flash it. Do exactly as it says or watch a youtube video on how to flash the firmware.
For OTA flash you need to access the ESP8266 wifi via "http://gbscontrol.local" or type the ip in your browser "192.168.4.1"
To access your gbscontrol via wifi you need to select the SSID gbscontrol and password "qqqqqqqq"
Once you access the control panel of your gbsc head to the last tab and select enable OTA and I highly recommend find and enable the "developer tools" because it will display the console to display any progress. DO NOT change anything inside developer tools.

It's hard to mess it up if you follow the guide step by step, I'm here to help for any more questions regarding updating the firmware.

Hope it helps
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Thanks, mate. I'm sure it'll help. Where can I check to know what exactly I'll be missing if I don't update? My interest in the device is 480p into 240p only.
emmeka

Re: Original xbox wobbly image at 720p

Post by emmeka »

CatMachete wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:45 pm I’ve seen this issue reported a couple other times but I haven’t seen a solution. I’m using a 1.0 Xbox with cerbios and component cables. 480p games looks great but 720p looks all wobbly and loses sync constantly. If I use a vga to hdmi adapter the image stops wobbling but I still get a black screen every minute or so. I’ve done all the optional mods except replacing c11.
There is no solution. As far as I can tell the GBS-C can't handle HD passthrough at all, it only really accepts SD inputs. I've tried a few times to get it to pass through HD resolutions from various consoles and a PC and it always has major issues. All 720p inputs (RGBHV, RGBS, or YPbPr) from RGBHV output have very shaky sync with very heavy jitter, and if you go into the debug menu and look at the console with a 720p input on it just reports "Sync High!" as an error. The situation for 1080i and 1080p is even worse: 1080i doesn't even hold sync at all for me, while 1080p has even worse sync jitter than 720p and seems to periodically lose sync. It's kind of unfortunate, if you need 720p support you're going to have to look at other scalers or find a way to route them around the GBS-C.
CatMachete

How to fix vertical banding?

Post by CatMachete »

Edit: and my gbs board just kicked the bucket :( i randomly get green lines or sparkles on the image or complete drop outs. Probably toasted something with my soldering iron

I get these annoying equally spaced lines all across my screen when I plug the vga output straight into my monitors, but using a vga to hdmi adapter does get rid of them.
It doesn't show very well in the picture (I don't have a capture card). I'm using a wii with component cables, but it also happens on my xbox. I've done all the mods except the copper tape but idk if that would help or not :(