I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

hamfighterx wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:35 pm- Emeraldia (puzzle game, probably shows up on AA some time)
I've played a bit of Emeraldia, tried to get into it years ago, the art and music are quite good but the game itself is brutally hard. Mechanically it's like Teki-Paki in that there's diagonal chaining of pieces... but instead of needing 5 tiles to create a match, you only need 2... but 2 is a very bad idea as each piece needs to be matched TWICE to eliminate it, meaning you absolutely must rack up large chains and ideally combos to clear the screen, otherwise you'll create matches but then the piece you just dropped sits on top and blocks further matches.

Maybe I suck, but this was honestly one of the tougher piece drop puzzle games I played. I was introduced to Teki-Paki a long time later and I immediately clicked with it as it felt like Emeraldia style diagonal chaining without the "hit each piece twice to clear it" sillyness that made it so tough.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Numan Athletics could happen this year. I'm there for it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

hamfighterx wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:35 pm
Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:04 amThis week's gonna be a title from Namco: Arcade Archives Cosmo Gang The Puzzle
The most notable thing about this release to me is that it's the first Arcade Archives release from Namco's NA-1 hardware, the 1992-1993 successor to the venerable System 2! That means we're a step closer to one release that I was hoping for in 2024, F/A Fighter & Attacker.

List of NA-1 games:
- Bakuretsu Quiz Ma-Q Dai Bouken (I don't expect a Japanese-only quiz game is coming to AA)
- Cosmo Gang the Puzzle (announced)
- Emeraldia (puzzle game, probably shows up on AA some time)
- Exvania (Bomberman-like with medieval fantasy theme, probably shows up)
- F/A / Fighter & Attacker (vertical STG that seems like a given, and features a notable Shinji Hosoe techno soundtrack)
- Super World Court (tennis game, maybe it shows up on AA, maybe not)
- Tinkle Pit (single screen maze game with lots of Namco fan-service, probably shows up)

And then the NA-2 hardware was an incremental step up from the NA-1, and had a handful of additional games:
- Knuckle Heads (2D fighter, this will likely arrive on AA)
- Nettou! Gekitou! Quiztou!! / Quiz Island (Quiz game, seems very unlikely on AA)
- Numan Athletics (I hope this one gets a release - Track and Field with mutants and over the top events like stopping an oncoming train with your bare hands? Sign me up. Good summary of Numan Athletics and its sequel Mach Breakers here: https://gaminghell.co.uk/NumanAthletics ... akers.html)
- X-Day 2 (not gonna happen, another Japan-only quiz style game that has the truly bizarre distinction of asking questions about your health and then predicting the DATE OF YOUR DEATH)
Helll yeah, roll on F/A. :o

Favourite bit of related trivia; Tekken's working title RAVE WAR Image :cool:

I always hear good things from trusted peeps about Tinkle Pit, unfortunate name and all; would be cool to see that one. Same for Numan Athletics - so many shumps frens have repped it, I'd have to take a gander. Only heard of Exvania just recently (while looking up F/A's hardware, actually). Looks rad; cool name, and some neat chibi-horror sprites. No idea how it plays, but I'd give it a look for sure. Reminds me a bit of Konami's Labyrinth Runner, which I hope shows up this year too.

Picked up CG The Puzzle for later, after a quick Youtube recon. Not unlike maze-chasers and dot-eaters, while I'm only casually into AC puzzlers, they're a staple genre I always enjoy. Also, its ACA 2023 sibling, The Shooting, genuinely has some of the most charming enemy designs this side of Metal Slug. As often occurs in Nazca's masterpiece trio, the first time I saw a pack of stragglers break the line and flee, I felt genuinely sorry for 'em and let the poor buggers escape - that kind of pathos is to be treasured in any genre, let alone the mean arcade streets. :mrgreen:

Irresistible tunes, too! You can feel the effort to give the venerable scoot/shoot a bit of 90s crowd draw. I love the default HS table entries shouting out Galaxian, Galaga, Gaplus, and Galaga '88, plus the unmistakable veteran's touch of that screen edge squeeze!
Knights Of Legend
Just A Couple More Pixels!
This year should be interesting... Mystic Warriors and CG The Puzzle have popped the cork on a raft of interesting 90s boards, Rainbow Islands is finally inbound, and after a well-earned couple years, Hamster now have a goodly chunk of Namco's catalogue accounted for. I'm hoping we'll see newer and/or more obscure stuff from Konami and Namco, plus Rastan. Uh... this time next year, maybe (TNZS '23/RI '24/Rastan '25 makes too much sense :lol: I'm gonna die laughing if Rastan 2 / Nastar somehow shows up first :shock:).

Would love to see Tecmo's continued return, as well. Wild Fang, Raiga, and stealth carnival classic Senjyo were a great 2023. Silkworm, Final Star Force, Pleiades and Phoenix, pls. :cool: And give that poor bastard still waiting on Ganbare Ginkun a break, too. :shock:

I suppose Tecmo never really left, unlike much-missed IREM and SNK and Technos, but their published works like Saboten Bombers and Thunder Dragon, while frequently great in their own right, don't scratch the same itch as their internally-developed works ala Rygar/Bombjack/Solomon's. Finally getting Wild Fang and Raiga years after Gemini Wing and Tecmo Bowl felt like a true return.

I wonder if ACA Riot will ever happen... IIRC, trap said that one was actually Tecmo-devved and NMK-published. Unreleased, IIRC. And now I've mentioned Riot, I have to cite Video System's best-named carnival shooter ever, SPINAL BREAKERS (feat Captain Waffle). They should do a theme month with Seibu's Dynamite Duke. Image
valziman

Post by valziman »

I've started collecting top recommendations from this thread and putting them in a dekudeals list. What am I missing?

https://www.dekudeals.com/lists/hjchdy? ... ed_to_site
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

BIL you mentioned Phoenix, but has anybody ever figured out who made it/owns it? I always thought its murky provenance made it unlikely to appear.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Last time Phoenix was in a compilation, it was done by Taito.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

is incredible the amount of games you can choose from for just 7 bucks on a PSN account lol...ridiculous how NFS Heat/Payback costs less than an ACA (or Titanfall 2..try it).
Now the match is between Ape Escape 1 VS Random Arcade Archives...or mmm wait.
BIL

Post by BIL »

valziman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 am I've started collecting top recommendations from this thread and putting them in a dekudeals list. What am I missing?

Looking quality! Good balance of marquee polish and eldritch H4RDCOR3. Image

Not that these are mutually exclusive qualities; but as discussed a while back, I tend to balance my lists for pickup and play. So while I consider grizzled innovator of violence Kunio-kun an immortal classic, I'll put its worthy successors Ninja Gaiden, Crime Fighters 2, and Zero Team on the mixtape. Anyone wanting the unfiltered vintage is gonna seek it out. :cool: (they might even try out Crime Fighters 1, but that is truly pitch-black abyssal Marmite Image)

Similar for ACA Salamander; fantastic set for those wanting to chase the dragon, but I'll pass the baton to XEXEX, the fine-tuned supercar of a venerable stable.

And no Haunted Castle, good move. :mrgreen: I would definitely add Splatterhouse; chunky horror sidescrolling done right. Along similar lines, Phelios is a solid rec, and a good companion to Dragon Saber.
SavagePencil wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:48 am BIL you mentioned Phoenix, but has anybody ever figured out who made it/owns it? I always thought its murky provenance made it unlikely to appear.
BrianC wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:39 pm Last time Phoenix was in a compilation, it was done by Taito.
Good points! I'd totally forgotten it appearing on Taito Memories (IIRC). Not the worst situation, perhaps, with Taito being an ACA fixture.
Last edited by BIL on Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valziman

Post by valziman »

BIL wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:41 pm I would definitely add Splatterhouse; chunky horror sidescrolling done right. Along similar lines, Phelios is a solid rec, and a good companion to Dragon Saber.
ACA Splatterhouse doesn't seem to exist on Switch. Delisted? Ps4 only? I dunno.

Adding Phelios. I'm not sure I've seen another shmup with more epic presentation outside of Cave.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm, I wonder... maybe it's listed as "Splatter House," with the space? That jumped out to a few of us, back at its ACA release.

EDIT: seems that may be it! US store / UK store

Oh also! Tank Force is very cool. Topdown 4way shooting in hyper-destructible environments. Super charming chibi-metal presentation; cute little tanks, harrowingly massive bosses. It feels a little awkward calling it Bombermanesque, with its predecessor, Tank Batallion, predating that game; but that's exactly the vibe of its 4P action, albeit PvE only (you compete for # of kills). All about carving up the terrain to your advantage.

One of the relatively few 90s Namco releases, thus far; here's to many more. That said, would love to see Tank Batallion, too. Their intervening Famicom entry, Battle City, is in brilliant form via M2's Namco Museum Archives, so it'd be nice to get the whole trilogy on modern platforms.

And of course, Rainbow Islands will be a shoe-in, joining Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story. :cool:
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Think we'll see any more licensed ACA stuff this year?
I really didn't mind paying for Mazinger Z.
Steven

Post by Steven »

valziman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 am I've started collecting top recommendations from this thread and putting them in a dekudeals list. What am I missing?

Gradius, Gradius III, Real Bout Special, Metal Slug 4 and 5, Darius II, Baseball Stars 2, Waku Waku 7, and probably some other stuff that I can't remember right now.
valziman

Post by valziman »

BIL wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:46 pm Hm, I wonder... maybe it's listed as "Splatter House," with the space?

Oh also! Tank Force is very cool.
I'm a fan of Tank Force. Haven't found Splatter House's gameplay particularly exciting, but everyone seems to disagree, so I'll keep trying it once in a while.

Added both!

I really wish Dekudeals would allow making making public comments so I could link a thread here or include a quote or whatever. Oh well!
Steven wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:44 pm

Gradius, Gradius III, Real Bout Special, Metal Slug 4 and 5, Darius II, Baseball Stars 2, Waku Waku 7, and probably some other stuff that I can't remember right now.
I intentionally left out Gradius 1 and 3 since there seems to be a consensus that 2 is a step above the rest.

I did the same with the Metal Slug series. There's a lot of debate about which of 1, XX, and 3 is best.

I'll add Darius 2. It seems as popular as the first. I think Sumez listed 1 but not 2 in his list, which is why I only had 1.

I've not heard of Baseball Stars 2. I'll search through the forums a bit for it. EDIT: Consensus is S-Tier. Adding.

As for Real Bout Special and Waku Waku 7, I have no idea why those are S-rank but The Last Blade 1 and 2, Samurai Shodown 2 and 5 Special, King of Fighters 98, KoF 2002, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves aren't up to par. My little bit of research seems to say that Kof 98, 2002, and Garou are the top dogs, but...
:!: :?: :!: :?:

Can anyone else confirm/disagree with Steven or the above or present another perspective? Or maybe link me to System11 Shmups forum discussion?
valziman

Post by valziman »

Games I imagined might be on the list but no one seems to be raving about. (Maybe I just missed it) Would anyone like to rave? Wow, this list got longer than I expected.

- Gaplus (I think I prefer this to Galaga 88. I'm really hoping they eventually get to Gyruss.)
- Mappy
- Donkey Kong Jr.
- Donkey Kong 3
- Magician Lord
- Elevator Action
- Aero Fighters 2?
- Mario Bros
- Garou
- King of Fighters 98/2002
- Magical Drop 3
- Nam 1975 (Actually, one of you mentioned it.)
- vs Balloon Fight
- Kiki Kaikai
- Burger Time (The ladders make this game feel unplayable in Mame without a 4-way stick. Is that the case in Arcade Archives?)
- Ice Climber
- Crazy Climber 1/2
- The Legend of Valkyrie
- Bomb Jack
- Kid's Horehore Daisakusen
- Clu Clu Land
- Ikari/Victory Road/Guerrilla War
- Super Cobra
- Pac and Pal
- Burning Force
- Pooyan

Games I personally love that I don't expect others to consider top, but I'm gonna mention them anyway:
- Fighting Hawk
- Top Hunter Roddy and Cathy

Games that maybe shouldn't be on t he list after all? I think I have a couple that maybe only Bil liked and I picked up on due to his barrage of posts extolling the virtues of games:

- Pettan Pyuu
- Mutant Night
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Tell us what you like about them. I never got Magician Lord at all, I think it's an objectively horrible time and truly insulting.
I would be apoplectic if I'd paid Neo Geo money for that back when it was released.
I've seen that Happy Console fuck praising it. That'd be about right.
Mutant Night's always going to be divisive. I love it, but most likely because I have fond memories of playing it as a kid. It's classic UPL.
velo

Post by velo »

I'm actually surprised nobody said Puzzle Bobble 1&2. Belongs even on a short list. Pac-man (+ sequels) is almost too obvious. Legend of Valkyrie is less famous but worth a mention. I think Wild Fang is as good as Ninja Gaiden.
valziman

Post by valziman »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:01 pm I'm actually surprised nobody said Puzzle Bobble 1&2. Belongs even on a short list. Pac-man (+ sequels) is almost too obvious. Legend of Valkyrie is less famous but worth a mention. I think Wild Fang is as good as Ninja Gaiden.
Added Puzzle Bobble 2. Does 1 do anything better than 2?

Wild Fang is already on the list. I can't get my head around that one though. It's so hard. Vendetta and Nina Gaiden are more approachable for me, despite the difficulty. I can tell what I'm doing wrong in them.

Pac-Man is easy to overlook for me personally because it lives in the shadow of Ms Pac Man. I'd always rather play that. When I'm not paying Ms., I play Championship Edition. I can't tell how good the others are, but they're... weird. The scrolling in Pac Mania doesn't sit well at all. That said, I'd love to dive into another great one of there is one. Pac n Pal? Super Pac?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Not sure if the arcade compilation with Pac-Man Arrangement has any chance to coming to ACA, but that one is definitely a joy to play. Jr. Pac-Man is also fun, but that one has even less chance than Ms. Pac-Man of coming to ACA. It hasn't had an official port since that odd PC/C64 version.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

valziman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:55 pm Games I imagined might be on the list but no one seems to be raving about. (Maybe I just missed it) Would anyone like to rave? Wow, this list got longer than I expected.
- Donkey Kong Jr.
- Donkey Kong 3
DK3 seems cool but I never spent much time with it. I actually really like Donkey Kong Jr, and got an original PCB myself. However the game has two really grating issues. One is the spring timing which is practically completely random - it's not a massive issue since the correct way to deal with it is to just set up your jump always expecting it to fail, and take it if it succeeds.
The second is the also random lag on switching vines/chains. It's completely infuriating, and of course expert players also know how to deal with that and make sure they are never in a risky situation, but I just can't wrap my head around it and keep dying to what essentially feels incredibly unfair!
If it weren't for the second issue especially, Donkey Kong Jr would rank much higher than the original game in my book. Especially the chains/locks stage is really really fun. There's a hack out there that fixes both issues, and I've spent a lot of time getting into that (which I guess also makes my tolerance towards the original game even lower)

- Magician Lord
Magician Lord is a tough love really. On paper it's my kind of game, and I'm generally fond of it. But it also has a massive amount of memo even for a game of its type/era, which makes it really hard to approach. And I think taking a hit and getting powered down can be extremely devastating to your run/routing, with some challenges being nearly impossible to overcome at the base level.

- Elevator Action
Elevator Action is a brilliant and addictive game! I'd honestly recommend it to anyone who thinks it looks interesting. But it's very much that old school of arcade games that can get repetitive extremely fast unless you're really digging it.

- Mario Bros
Not a big fan of the original Mario Bros. I think the stiff jumps work great for something like Donkey Kong, but in a game like Mario Bros. it just feels stinted and beyond frustrating. It's a game I'd wish I could appreciate more.

- Magical Drop 3
I'd recommend Magical Drop if Money Puzzle Exchanger weren't already on my list. It's a very similar game, but I like the latter more.

- The Legend of Valkyrie
I love what I'd played of Valkyrie, but I never did give it more of a serious spin. Ideally this would be on my list of recommendations. Maybe in the future :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

valziman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:36 pm
I intentionally left out Gradius 1 and 3 since there seems to be a consensus that 2 is a step above the rest.

I did the same with the Metal Slug series. There's a lot of debate about which of 1, XX, and 3 is best.
And none of that prevents any of them from being essential.
valziman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:36 pmI'll add Darius 2. It seems as popular as the first. I think Sumez listed 1 but not 2 in his list, which is why I only had 1.
The only reason it's there is because it's the three screen version. Skip it if you don't like that version.
valziman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:36 pmAs for Real Bout Special and Waku Waku 7, I have no idea why those are S-rank but The Last Blade 1 and 2, Samurai Shodown 2 and 5 Special, King of Fighters 98, KoF 2002, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves aren't up to par. My little bit of research seems to say that Kof 98, 2002, and Garou are the top dogs, but...
:!: :?: :!: :?:
KOF '98UMFE and 2002UM exist and there isn't much of a point in playing the Neo Geo versions if you can play the better ones instead. '98UMFE even just straight up has the original Neo Geo version within itself. Mark of the Wolves doesn't even play like a Garou game at all and RBS has the best gameplay in the entire series. Waku Waku 7 is good and cool, unlike me, and you should play it. I also never said that the rest of those are not S-tier, BTW.

Not that I've played the rest of those, of course.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Kid Nikki Radical Ninja (unavailable on PS4 in UK)
Omega Force (Special) (unavailable on PS4 in UK)
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

I'm hoping Taito's Thunder Fox is happening soon, and Warrior Blade Rastan Saga Episode III as well.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Super Cobra is lovely imo, as is Pooyan, and King & Balloon, and many more formative early 80s STGs. Sasuke VS Commander is another goodie.

ACA covers such a wide span, at this point, you could easily have at least two shortlists for 80s and 90s picks. Probably a few genre-specific ones, as well. Anyway, not to overthink things.
OldSkoolShmuper wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:17 am I'm hoping Taito's Thunder Fox is happening soon, and Warrior Blade Rastan Saga Episode III as well.
Ah, Thunder Fox - been wanting that one since 2019. Ninja Warriors x Rolling Thunder, marvelous military murdercore. Image

SAFETY FIRST KIDS Image Image
Spoiler

Would be down for Rastan III, too but Hamster seem to respect the unwritten rules of series chronology; perhaps the OG has to arrive first? That said, if they're gonna break the rule, I sure as shit would prefer Warrior Blade over that shitbird Nastar. Image :lol:
Sumez wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:19 am- Magician Lord
Magician Lord is a tough love really. On paper it's my kind of game, and I'm generally fond of it. But it also has a massive amount of memo even for a game of its type/era, which makes it really hard to approach. And I think taking a hit and getting powered down can be extremely devastating to your run/routing, with some challenges being nearly impossible to overcome at the base level.
Concurred on Magician Lord, it's one thorny sonofabitch. It's one of those straitjacket memorisers redeemed by sheer pace, or not at all. I consider Splatterhouse a far superior effort in the same ballpark; you can memo that one into a painstakingly choreographed killfest, too, but there's far more improv room, and far less knuckle-rapping for falling out of sync.

NAM-1975 is the early Neo's better ambassador, by far. Quality Cabal-esque with some impressively well-judged i-frames. Legendarily goofy cod-Kubrick style, too. You operations have been watched!
valziman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:55 pm - Ikari/Victory Road/Guerrilla War
Good games, and in their best home translations ever via ACA. Their spiritual forerunner TANK is great, too! That said, all are utter hardcore, especially GW. Shock Troopers is the better shortlist pick, a reliable diehard/mainstream crossover favourite.

As you suggest, it's a shame there's no annotation feature; Ikari is exactly the kind of thing I'd put in an "also try" sidebar, with glowing endorsement and stern warning alike.
Games that maybe shouldn't be on t he list after all? I think I have a couple that maybe only Bil liked and I picked up on due to his barrage of posts extolling the virtues of games:

- Pettan Pyuu
- Mutant Night
Haha, I was pleasantly surprised to see both of these on there, and a few other personal favourites. :cool: They're a couple oddballs for sure.

That said, it can be tricky to find works that are 1) obscure, 2) weird, and 3) quality. Especially nowadays, with it being so trivial to google entire catalogues. And I know many people enjoy a good offbeat pick; so I'll happily reaffirm. Despite its goofy style, Pettan is mechanically quite intricate. The board has a charmingly tangible hyper-articulation; its myriad hinges and panels facilitating some impressively devious chains.

Don't u know that killing is my business? Image AND BUSINESS IS GOOD Image
Spoiler

Mutant Night is near-opposite; a distilled run/gun rampage with exhilaratingly OTT powerups, distinguished by an air-walk that's as disarmingly ethereal as it is physics-breakingly blunt. Aliens, innit? Both games topped off by world-class art design, resembling nothing before or since. Mutron-kun, in particular, is a little star; I'm surprised UPL didn't get a mini-franchise out of his lot, ala Ninja-kun. I guess the 80s were drawing to an end. Burned out bright. Image

I was actually as surprised to see Task Force Harrier. While TFH is a very good game - I won't vouch for anything else ;3 - it's a committed genre piece; a quietly effective performer. I think of Fighting Hawk the same way, actually; albeit Harrier is slightly further afield of Hishouzame, with its Xevious Gone MOAB ground shot, and its proto-Gunnail Option mechanics.

In that epigone spirit, I will tentatively recommend Trigon, aka Lightning Fighters. Konami Toaplanesque with an outstanding soundtrack (none less than Hitoshi Sakimoto counts it as an influence). "Tentatively" only because it's absolutely nails-hard; one of those Fast Aimed Shotters where you can see a bullet coming at mid-range, start moving, and die as it grazes your wingtip. Don't get caught flat-footed, sonny! Strafe the field!

Notably, the ACA release is not only its first and only home translation; it also includes a hitbox reduce option. I've never bothered with it - I wish to know authentic pain Image - but that's definitely an Arrange Mode-calibre goodie. True to Arrange form, it might make an intriguing new game altogether, now I think about it.

Anyway, it's at least as good a Toaplanesque as Raiden and Fighting Hawk - I would say the best of the three, and I'm very fond of all. Again, it's tricky... would I recommend it to general audiences, no. But diehards will find a lot to like, potentially love, or at the least discuss. :wink: I've found these three especially nice to have around since Hishouzame and SameSame finally got definitive home translations via ShotTriggers.

I will also cite HachaMecha Fighter, which straddles Pettan/Mutant's good weird - a truly inimitable air! - and Trigon's ultra hardcore - beneath the hallucinatory sunshine lurks a stonefaced killer! NMK stablemate Operation Ragnarok aka Zed Blade is a very, very distant companion piece - groovy vibes and high pace, without getting into such mad extremes. A good foot-to-the-floorboards STG in its own right. Both have very silly scoring mechanics I happily ignore. Image

EDIT: Oh! I keep forgetting to mention Libble Rabble. Another for the offbeat folder, kinda. It's recognisably similar to Qix, yet totally its own thing.

OPERATION VARMINT ANCHOR (`w´メ) (◎w◎;)[/color[

Spoiler
valziman

Post by valziman »

Many helpful clarifications/suggestions/explanations etc. Thanks! I'll update the list a bit without much explanation, but here's a short one:

I'll err toward over-inclusion with fighters for now. I had no idea remastered/enhanced KoF games existed. They're not on Switch though, so I'll include 98 and 2002 for now. (Switch only has KOF 13 and the arcade archives releases.) Waku Waku and Real Bout Special are going on the list too. Some personal questions: which of those is the easiest to hop on to for a non-expert? Which is best without another player?

I'll take Bil's word on the better Toaplanesque. Fighting Hawk is the only one I've really invested time in so far other than Crisis Wing. I love them both. I'll be moving on to real Toaplans with the Arcade Garage before too long! I'm not hardcore at all, but it's probably just a matter of perspective. I started with it, so it's not too hard. It's exactly right. Trigon is terrifying! Wow! I hope to graduate to it eventually.

Leaving the weirdie Pettan Pyuu and Mutant Night games on. I tried Pettan Pyuu on Mame and exploded. I'll have to try again.

---

Pooyan is one of those games that seems too simple to be amazing, but I like it more each time I return to it. It's like Moon Patrol, Pac-Man, Galaga, etc in that way. I don't know what the upper limits on it are though. I've always been afraid it might fall apart somehow in later levels. I'll give King and Balloon a look too. Those sound effects are unbearable though.

I had the impression that HachaMecha Fighter was uber opaque - weird mechanics and only the absolutely most dedicated can beat it, etc. Is it more approachable than I thought?

Mario Bros was one of my most-played NES games. It was my first single-screen kill all the baddies platformer. I used to prefer it to Bubble Bobble because it's about getting better and better and doing pretty much just one thing, which is a lovely quality about many of the older arcade games. I played it 2-player almost as much as single player.
BIL

Post by BIL »

re: Pettan, do you mean MAME crashed? Just curious, as I hear its Sunsoft contemporary and fellow ACA release Kangaroo has MAME issues with unemulated enemy behaviour.

Task Force Harrier is another of these games, incidentally; the ship is inaccurately lightning-quick in MAME, since the game's odd slowdown routine isn't currently emulated. (ship speed is meant to scale with CPU load) I think the fast ship gameplay is kinda rad, tbh; wouldn't have minded seeing that as an ACA option :cool: That said, TFH is unmistakably balanced around its authentic ship speed.

Speaking of Sunsoft's early 80s canon, was happy to see Markham included. That's yet another quality obscurity. The nose up/down mechanic (cf Sky Kid) isn't a popular one, but I think it works great here. The standout feature, though, is the finessed Missile mechanic. Taking down air fortresses with perfectly-placed shots is hella satisfying.

USE TEH FORCE MARK Image

Spoiler

Very likeable game that's truly little-heard nowadays.
valziman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:40 pmI had the impression that HachaMecha Fighter was uber opaque - weird mechanics and only the absolutely most dedicated can beat it, etc. Is it more approachable than I thought?
Dead simple to pick up and play; a shot button, a bomb button, and collectible Gradius Options. It's just harrowing by nature; the Rank (dynamic difficulty) goes nuts fast, and there's nothing you can do about it. :cool: Bullets are peltingly relentless (though at least easy to see). Like a lot of NMK STGs (USAAF Mustang, Thunder Dragon 1 & 2), it gives you tons of bombs, and expects you to use them.

Scoring involves hugging the rightmost screen edge, which is as harrowing as it sounds, and is the preserve of lunatics. The second loop, IIRC, the designers actually admitted they didn't even bother balancing at all. But imo, particularly with its truly mad air, it works great as a straight balls-hard 1ALL.
velo

Post by velo »

valziman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:51 am
velo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:01 pm I'm actually surprised nobody said Puzzle Bobble 1&2. Belongs even on a short list. Pac-man (+ sequels) is almost too obvious. Legend of Valkyrie is less famous but worth a mention. I think Wild Fang is as good as Ninja Gaiden.
Added Puzzle Bobble 2. Does 1 do anything better than 2?

Wild Fang is already on the list. I can't get my head around that one though. It's so hard. Vendetta and Nina Gaiden are more approachable for me, despite the difficulty. I can tell what I'm doing wrong in them.

Pac-Man is easy to overlook for me personally because it lives in the shadow of Ms Pac Man. I'd always rather play that. When I'm not paying Ms., I play Championship Edition. I can't tell how good the others are, but they're... weird. The scrolling in Pac Mania doesn't sit well at all. That said, I'd love to dive into another great one of there is one. Pac n Pal? Super Pac?
PB2 is bigger and better and the one to get, but if you want a little more, PB1 has its own set of levels, so it's not totally redundant. I don't see Ms Pac-man as a complete substitute for the original either, but that's me (I'd include OG Galaga too). I'd pick Super Pac-man over Pac n Pal, but they're both odd ducks, so YMMV.

Sorry, I must have overlooked Wild Fang somehow. I would add that it's much easier than Ninja Gaiden or Vendetta (or Zero Team) in my experience. Maybe something didn't click for you there, but I spent much less time clearing it than I have in failing to clear Vendetta or Zero Team... so far. Both still works in progress. :(

Not my cuppa tea but I thought somebody would've put in a word for Xevious by now. Mutant Night might be a mess, but if loving it is wrong, I refuse to be right. Qualified rec, but personally, glad I didn't miss out on it.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you watch the wacky 'n' sexy 1983 movie, Joysticks, it features the Bally-Midway version of Super Pac-Man on early 1980s film celluloid. Since the film director didn't have any money to pay the arcade game manufacturers, he asked Bally-Midway what their latest and newest arcade game offering was (it was, indeed, Super Pac-Man, at the current time back in 1982). The director said that he able to show the various arcade games featured with permission and as "free promotional advertising", otherwise he could not release the film nationwide as it was. With a film production budget of a modest $300,000 usd and having it shot back in 1982 with a March 1983 nationwide general release, it was the number one movie at the American film box office at that particular point in time.

No other film dealt with the American arcade game scene like with Joysticks did (with the exception of Disney's Tron in June of 1982 and The Last Starfighter in 1984 with Atari building the actual full-sized "Starfighter" cab with real arcade controls -- sadly, it was never released as a dedicated arcade game release but was finally released with proper "Starfighter" arcade control panel setup with Atari Games' Space Lords back in 1991 a full seven years later). No wonder why Space Lords' arcade control panel seemed so familiar as it was portrayed/shown in TLS movie as a proper momento/tribute indeed.

Of course, the cool American based "Starcade" arcade game competition show did feature Super Pac-Man as a marquee arcade game title worth seeking out to play at the local arcades back in 1982 with game show host none other than Geoff Edwards. I used to watch Starcade every Saturday morning as they would showcase the "latest 'n' greatest" arcade games -- it was never a dull moment with it's innovative arcade game competition format/premise going throughout it's 30 minutes of alloted time over the local "VHF-UHF" TV airwaves back in the day. If said Starcade game contestant beat a certain score threshold on featured marquee arcade game within the established 60 seconds time limit, he or she would win a brand new full-sized arcade game valued at $3,000 usd. Starcade was was quite awesome for it's time -- the American based Gameshow Network channel was seriously considering/mulling over reviving/ressurecting the classic Starcade arcade game show format back in 2002 but it did not pan out/materialize whatsoever. Would've been ace if it did though.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The reason I didn't drop any fighter recommendations at all is that it's a kind of genre that not only requires someone to play with, but also highly depends on the sort of group you're playing with.
Also, recommending any fighter is bound to set off the genuine fighter enthusiasts. There isn't a game out there that's not "kusoge" on some level with some sort of infinite combo or imbalanced roster etc. Of course if you're looking into Neo Geo fighters, that's something you're bound to look past in the first place.

Here's my overall take on fighters as a casual non-enthusiast fighter enjoyer. This is based on my own MVS cartridge collection, and I'm not sure which of these are actually in ACA at this point:

The KOF games are mostly really fun, but they can be daunting to get into due to the huge rosters across a ton of games. '98 and '02 of course are the dominant titles, but I think '97, and '00 especially get overlooked a lot in their shadow. I prefer '00's roster to '98, and I just love its presentation, which feels a lot more modern.

Samurai Shodown 4 is probably my favourite fighter on the platform, there's just a completely unique atmosphere to it that's accentuated by the actual gameplay. Back in the days, SS2 used to be the fan favourite, but you don't hear that much about it anymore. I think 3 is where the series truly found its own form, and 4 is basically the same game with a bunch of improvements. Ditching the random food items was definitely a good choice, and giving players more health feels better balanced. That said, there's definitely a certain charm to SS fights potentially ending in seconds if one player makes a mistake and leaves themself open. I think that can still happen in 4, though.
Also one game has a laughably easy single player mode (until the traditional SNK final boss of course), while the other will kick you ass right from the start, can't remember which one was which.
Samurai Shodown 5 Special is arguably the better game, but I haven't played it as much as 3 and 4, and I prefer the button layout of those two.

The Fatal Fury games never appealed much to me, and I don't like the layer switching much. I did have fun with Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2 though, and Garou/Mark of the Wolves is genuinely a ton of fun, and still one of the most beautiful 2D games out there.

Waku Waku 7 is a super fun casual fighter which of course excels in its visual presentation too. It's very easily approachable so probably a good game for someone not into fighters who just wants to have fun with friends. The predecessor, Galaxy Fight, is a much tougher game, but I think it gets underestimated often. It actually oozes style, and it plays really well.

SVC Chaos has an incredible dark atmosphere especially for what was supposed to be a fun mash-up fighter. It's cool to see SNK and Capcom fighters duking it out on a Neo Geo, but something about the game just doesn't feel very good to me.

Finally Breakers Revenge, feels like it should be lumped in among the other SF2-wannabes on the platform like Karnov's Revenge and World Heroes, but it just does something that makes every match an absolute riot, it's hard for me to pinpoint what.
But this is one game that definitely hinges on having the right crowd to play it with!
valziman

Post by valziman »

velo wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:17 pm
Sorry, I must have overlooked Wild Fang somehow. I would add that it's much easier than Ninja Gaiden or Vendetta (or Zero Team) in my experience. Maybe something didn't click for you there, but I spent much less time clearing it than I have in failing to clear Vendetta or Zero Team... so far. Both still works in progress. :(
I've spent the same amount of time with Wild Fang and Ninja Gaiden so far. I can make it to the end of level 2 on one credit in Ninja Gaiden (barely, only once) but it STILL takes me 8 credits (just tried again) to get to the first boss in Wild Fang. I'm just not understanding something, haha.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Donkey Kong 3 is a shooter, which makes it sort of the ugly duckling of the whole 'Mario' thing. But, I unabashedly love it.

(full disclosure: I actually owned a DK3 cabinet for awhile, so I'm WAY better at it than most people of the planet--but even if I was terrible at it--I would still think it's a really cool, unique, very fun game. I voted for it in the one top 25 poll I ever voted in, and I actually think it got one other vote, So I'm not the only person on the planet)