RetroTink 4K All But Officially Announced ....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Cyo

Re: RetroTink 4K All But Officially Announced ....

Post by Cyo »

So first the price pissed people off and now people are mad that that Mike couldnt keep up demand.

This logic is silly.
Ricdeau

Post by Ricdeau »

I’m a bit bummed I wasn’t able to get on purchased today, but I’d be happy if I could just prepay for one and not have to deal with the website nonsense again.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Cyo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:02 am So first the price pissed people off and now people are mad that that Mike couldnt keep up demand.

This logic is silly.
I never complained about the price, so there's zero contradiction. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Nice try, though.
We apologise for the inconvenience
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Guspaz wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:43 am
orange808 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:50 pm I was on for thirty minutes from the beginning. Mike shit the bed.

If that upsets you, ask the mods if you can get the AtariAge Tommy Tallerico special status, Guspaz.

See you around, cause it ain't happening.

Nice job blaming the customers. Nice job blaming demand, which is blaming the customers.

Tone deaf as always, Guspaz. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯ Mike needs a spokesperson that isn't tone deaf. Maybe someone that doesn't blame the problems with running a business on the customers?
I’m not Mike’s spokesperson, no idea where you’re going with all the Tallarico stuff. All I said was that demand was higher than anticipated and nobody expected Wix to have trouble with the load. I really don’t know where you’re getting all this hostility from. Mike’s just one guy in his garage making products for enthusiasts, he’s not a big company or anything. There’s another batch coming very soon, people who missed out this time won’t have to wait long.
I said he shit the bed and you immediately jumped in trying to play damage control. Don't gaslight me.

What I said is true.

Get this on a waiting list. That was a clusterf*ck.
strayan

Post by strayan »

I had no problem buying one and have zero sympathy for those who did have problems. I hope the wait is long and painful.

Wix sucks but as a shareholder I think Mike should stick with this platform.

Stay crazy guys. I still love you.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Guspaz wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:28 pm I’m not sure anybody expected them to sell so many so fast.
I really disagree here, Bob and others have been hyping this thing up for 6+ months. Hell in the last month or two it's been none stop videos on it from seemingly every youtube content creator who got one.

I spent 30 minutes with multiple browsers, tabs, and on my phone trying to get one. I had it in my cart about 15 times, never let me check out and then the site would reload and it wouldn't be in my cart. Or I would have it in my cart and then I'd try to go to my cart and it'd be out of my cart. So it didn't happen. I hate this shit, having to fight scalpers and bots. I'd gladly pay Mike right now to get mine in the January batch and not have to deal with that crap. It also sounded like Wix fucked over people in the US by limiting bandwidth to the States, but not to Europe and other places. Supposedly those in Europe had no problem accessing the site or ordering it. Looking at twitter those who caught on and turned on a VPN were suddenly able to easily order one. I'm not here to say Mike shit the bed, or anything like that, but that experience sucked, and I really don't know how anyone thought this wasn't going to blow out 2,000 units in no time. I hope January's batch has a lot more units.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

PixelFX uses the same shopping platform/host and didn't have the same load issues. The RT5X launch was on the same shopping platform/host and didn't have the same issues. The RT5X was pretty hyped up too, and launched at a significantly lower price, and yet Wix didn't have trouble with that.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Guspaz wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:52 am PixelFX uses the same shopping platform/host and didn't have the same load issues. The RT5X launch was on the same shopping platform/host and didn't have the same issues. The RT5X was pretty hyped up too, and launched at a significantly lower price, and yet Wix didn't have trouble with that.
Mike voiced concerns on social media beforehand, so he knew it was going to suck.

You're still gaslighting and astroturfing.

Stop arguing. Mike shit the bed. This is how you don't do PR. Right here. The first step to deescalating is to acknowledge the problem, genius.
Last edited by orange808 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Mike also got in touch with Wix to ensure that things would go smoothly:

I don't think you're using the word "gaslight" correctly, and I don't see how anything I've said could be considered astroturfing. Mike clearly didn't expect the demand for the RT4K to dramatically outstrip the much lower priced RT5X. Saying that isn't gaslighting or astroturfing.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Still gaslighting and playing damage control.

It suits you perfectly. You're always like this.

Get this shit on a waiting list.

That was a cluster fuck.

And, PixelFX didn't have a problem because they're essentially selling a crowdfunded or Steam "Early Access" thing that nobody wants. It's a retro scaler with no analog input. Of course nobody wanted it.
Last edited by orange808 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
strayan

Post by strayan »

I hate waiting lists. I prefer the flakiness of the current system where some people miss out and then decompensate mentally.
Last edited by strayan on Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

So you’re mad that something of limited quantity, that the producer will surely restock, wasn’t available instantaneously?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

SavagePencil wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:26 am So you’re mad that something of limited quantity, that the producer will surely restock, wasn’t available instantaneously?
You're gaslighting. First of all, I'm upset because I said he shit the bed and people are making lame excuses. He obviously blew it. If you can't meet demand, you make a different plan.

I'm also mad because it's shit customer service. This is a amateur hour "fly by nighter" stuff.

I made a suggestion to fix it as well, put it on a mailing list. I said exactly what I meant
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

orange808 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:08 amAnd, PixelFX didn't have a problem because they're essentially selling a crowdfunded or Steam "Early Access" thing that nobody wants. It's a retro scaler with no analog input. Of course nobody wanted it.
Calling it crowdfunded kind of implies that they are using people's money to order units, which they are not, they fronted the money for production themselves just like Mike did.
Johnpv wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:46 am I'd gladly pay Mike right now to get mine in the January batch and not have to deal with that crap.
The problem there is that so would 10,000 other people, probably more... Mike needs a hosting upgrade so people aren't sitting there on loading screens for 30 minutes, but I don't know that much can be done about low supply of a high demand product other than making more. Check Mike's twitter and you'll see he doesn't think a mailing list works at this scale, and signups for it would be a mad dash just like orders were today.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Dude, take a breather. There’s nothing Mike wants more than to sell these fucking things. He trusted his vendor partners. It wasn’t ideal. We all have to wait until more show up. Nobody’s gaslighting you.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

SavagePencil wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:37 am Dude, take a breather. There’s nothing Mike wants more than to sell these fucking things. He trusted his vendor partners. It wasn’t ideal. We all have to wait until more show up. Nobody’s gaslighting you.
You're gaslighting, though. Stop it.

And, my FitBit says 58. My high score is over 160, so I don't think I need a breather. :D
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

The gaslighting didn’t work. So we’ll break out the tough love: maybe you aren’t adult enough to deal with the problems of trying to purchase a $750 scaler for video games.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

SavagePencil wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:04 am The gaslighting didn’t work. So we’ll break out the tough love: maybe you aren’t adult enough to deal with the problems of trying to purchase a $750 scaler for video games.
I just call em like I see em.

I've been online since the C64, you're not likely to get me too rattled. Keep trying, though. It's cute
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Productively: for those of us that missed out, does Mike have an ETA on the next round? I am hoping he has a staff who can assemble, configure, and test these things because he’s going to have one helluva holiday season this year.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

SavagePencil wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:16 am Productively: for those of us that missed out, does Mike have an ETA on the next round? I am hoping he has a staff who can assemble, configure, and test these things because he’s going to have one helluva holiday season this year.
Check his twitter/X. Said he's hoping for January. It's basically a two people operation with his wife helping with shipping stuff. The team also seems to have a little rabbit pet assistant that helps with stress relief.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Raise the price higher and hire the help you need to do it right.
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

orange808 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:22 am Raise the price higher and hire the help you need to do it right.
I think the way he's running things is just fine. The units he had sold out, people that want this thing on wave 2 onward will certainly get it and can separate a website issues with the creator of awesome products. They will be regularly stocked until demand slows down, if it does to the point of not continuing to produce them. But that doesn't appear like it's gonna happen any time soon. There was no ill will in how this played out, as far as I can tell. interpreting there being some is just one's imagination running loose. IMO

Nobody needs this thing, period, as amazing as it seems and nobody needs this thing at the snap of their fingers especially. After all we're after 4k resolution for old crusty ass systems, some 30, 40+ years old. We can certainly wait a little longer and cope with existing ones like OSSC and 5x, etc. These didn't suddenly become terrible.

And yeah there's a lot of YT hype for this, but how does this make the product any less amazing at what it does and people are after? Another thing that I think needs to be treated separately.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

768peeistrash wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:37 am I think the way he's running things is just fine.
Neat. Go Manchester and Mike Chi!

You're a true fan. Thanks for sharing, mate! I mean, you said it's great, so it must be.
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

orange808 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:46 am
768peeistrash wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:37 am I think the way he's running things is just fine.

You're a true fan. Thanks for sharing, mate! I mean, you said it's great, so it must be.

Seething with vitriol. Maybe you especially really don't need the RT4k at all, and rather need a walk instead.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

768peeistrash wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:50 am
orange808 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:46 am

Seething with vitriol. Maybe you especially really don't need the RT4k at all, and rather need a walk instead.
You chimed and quoted me. And, you said absolutely nothing, besides "I think it's okay because reasons."

I said Mike shit the bed and he should try a mailing list to make things work in an orderly fashion. Time and again, some apologist pops up with a non-answer or an excuse.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I don't know if something like the EVGA queue system is a good idea. The more minutes passed, the more you had to wait an unreasonable long time to get a chance to buy the product. With the same load problems for the signup.
copy

Post by copy »

If you don't 100% unequivocally agree that Mike Chi """shit the bed,""" then you are automatically """gaslighting."""

These terms have lost all meaning now. I hope I never hear them again. Pure, unhinged, hysterical lunacy. Clearly we need that familiar clown emoji here.
768peeistrash

Post by 768peeistrash »

copy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:11 am If you don't 100% unequivocally agree that Mike Chi """shit the bed,""" then you are automatically """gaslighting."""

These terms have lost all meaning now. I hope I never hear them again. Pure, unhinged, hysterical lunacy. Clearly we need that familiar clown emoji here.
The guy mentioned at least once or six times that Mike shat the bed. That must've been a whole lot of feces to mention it that frequently that soon.

-Mike chi shill asks to point on the doll where the rt4k touched you
orange808

Post by orange808 »

copy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:11 am If you don't 100% unequivocally agree that Mike Chi """shit the bed,""" then you are automatically """gaslighting."""

Or a fanboi emoji. But, if you look in the mirror, you can see one of those.

The sale was a clusterf*ck disaster on par with the GPU issues a couple years back. I know what happened.

I'm confident, because I know I'm right. Extrems knew it went sideways, so he pushed the conversation forward in a productive way. You, on other hand, decided you didn't like hearing things that are "negative" and tried to silence "naughty talk".

Hey, good luck with that.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Extrems wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:04 am I don't know if something like the EVGA queue system is a good idea. The more minutes passed, the more you had to wait an unreasonable long time to get a chance to buy the product. With the same load problems for the signup.
To be fair, that was because EVGA only allocated an extremely small proportion of their stock to their own webstore. My spot in the 3090 queue on EVGA's website took nearly two years, long after the cards (including EVGAs) were generally available at retailers.