shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:04 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:24 pm 

I remember there being a PC shmup (probably doujin) that was apparently inspired after Darius, but the bosses were modeled after some kind of exotic sea life. I don't remember what specifically, but think of stuff like trilobites/isopods, maybe.

Pretty sure someone created a thread about it here years ago, but I can't find it anymore. And using Search for "Darius" returns over 500 results. Quite hard to find it again like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:58 am 

I just got Esp Ra De for the Switch and I'm pretty damn new to Cave games. What do I need to do to maximize my score and multiplier? Right now, I'm just holding shot and power shot at the same time, dodging bullets, and collecting power-ups. I'm assuming there is more to it than that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:08 am 

The multiplier comes from killing an enemy with shot while the enemy is in contact with powershot explosions, +1 multiplier per explosion. It also multiplies the number of items that appear. When the item counter in the top corner is maximum (flashing) you can chain the multiplier between enemies without having to powershot them individually; the chain timer is short, but you can sustain it by picking up lots of items. (Technically you can always chain, it's just not very useful without max items because it'll only multiply the base enemy value and not affect the items)

So powershot enemy -> immediately finish off enemy with normal shot -> grab items -> if you have maximum items try to quickly kill more things for the chain, otherwise focus on setting up for the next.

Mostly this comes down to knowing how much health enemies have. One trick to make it easier is to memorize when enemies are going to enter the screen and full powershot them when they're right at the top. The explosions will stick, but the enemy will be invulnerable until it moves down a bit, so if you time it right this is a guaranteed x16 even on weak ones.

There are other things to the game, but surviving and getting used to the basic combo should be the main concern. A no miss run will get at least 9 million from the game clear bonus alone.

Edit:

Hazuki wrote:
I remember there being a PC shmup (probably doujin) that was apparently inspired after Darius, but the bosses were modeled after some kind of exotic sea life. I don't remember what specifically, but think of stuff like trilobites/isopods, maybe.

Pretty sure someone created a thread about it here years ago, but I can't find it anymore. And using Search for "Darius" returns over 500 results. Quite hard to find it again like that.

Cambria Sword? It's an interesting experience, albeit really really long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:16 pm 

Lethe wrote:

Cambria Sword? It's an interesting experience, albeit really really long.

Yes! That's what I was looking for. Thank you. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:40 pm 

Ok what is the font in SDOJ for the menus and stuff? I'm seeing that one in every mid budget sci fi game from Japan these days and SDOJ was the first I saw it.
I kinda could use it actually.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:04 pm 

I have about 2400 yen left over on the PSN Japanese store after getting ESP Ra.De. and Sorcer Striker. Any recommendations on what I can use the rest on?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:44 pm 

Lord British wrote:
I have about 2400 yen left over on the PSN Japanese store after getting ESP Ra.De. and Sorcer Striker. Any recommendations on what I can use the rest on?

Take a look through the Hamster Arcade Archives stuff and see if there's anything you're into. You should be able to pick up 2 or 3 really good titles with that much, more if they're on sale. Plenty of great stuff on there - Blazing Star & Pulstar, Gradius I-III, Salamander+Life Force, X-Multiply, P-47, etc. etc.

Another option you can't go wrong with is R-Type Dimensions EX, which is R-Type I & II with HD remakes that are actually really well done.

And finally, good old Ikaruga is on there if you don't have it yet, pretty much a must-own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:05 am 

Lord British wrote:

Anything? JP exclusive? or international titles that are cheaper there?

Last edited by SPM on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:31 am 

XoPachi wrote:
Ok what is the font in SDOJ for the menus and stuff? I'm seeing that one in every mid budget sci fi game from Japan these days and SDOJ was the first I saw it.
I kinda could use it actually.

https://en.fontworks.co.jp/fontsearch/cometstd-b/

It's a very popular font all around, I see it in a lot of places.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:29 pm 

SPM wrote:
Lord British wrote:

Anything? JP exclusive? or international titles that are cheaper there?

Either or I suppose. Doesn't appear to be any JP exclusive shmups other than the M2 ones. Getting rid of extra yen was easier in the PS3 me thinks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:13 pm 

Pissing around with the defaults on Ketsui Deathtiny, I set Custom mode to be all standard except with extends set to every 10million (great for practice). Switching to Arcade mode, and suddenly I'm scoring loads higher, especially on the end of level bonus screen. Flipping back to extends every 10million, I hardly get anything.

Is this a 'thing' built in, where scoring on the every extend dip setting is more difficult? Or am I arbitrarily scoring harder on defaults? It's scrambling my brain!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm 

What determines the order of the stages in NINJA COMMANDO on the Neo Geo?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:32 pm 

Does anyone know where I can view those sepia artworks that flash between each stage clear in ESP Ra De? They're just gorgeous. I love seeing them when I play it and it's criminal that they're seen so briefly. There a gallery somewhere of the game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:25 am 

I can’t for the life of me find Sorcer Striker on the Japanese PSN store... anyone help?
Japanese PSN noob here.

Mostly curious about how/why the search function doesn’t seem to work... is there a trick or do I have to find the games in the store simply by browsing through all titles?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:47 am 

Here you go. Found by CTRL+Ving 魔法大作戦 ("Mahou Daisakusen") into the search box - not very elegant, but that's how I usually find stuff. :smile:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:08 am 

BIL wrote:
Here you go. Found by CTRL+Ving 魔法大作戦 ("Mahou Daisakusen") into the search box - not very elegant, but that's how I usually find stuff. :smile:

Well thank you. I guess I’ll have to do my searching/purchasing from the web store instead of the console.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:58 am 

What was that one ollllld PC game where you and all the enemies are just crystals and you blew them apart? It's really obscure and very rare. Was called like Illuminator or something to that effect I think. Abstract backgrounds.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:05 am 

Illumination laser on the X68000?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:14 am 

Can anyone say what the “gy special” and “gy” switch options are for in Fire Arrow Plus?
Great game by the way...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132