R-Type Dimensions EX physical release for PS4/Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Loom1es

R-Type Dimensions EX physical release for PS4/Switch

Post by Loom1es »

Hi all, just a quick heads up that a physical release of R-Type Dimensions EX has been released for PS4 and Switch. Strictly Limited Games are running pre-orders with shipping in March. There is a standard and collectors edition available.

store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/all
Cheers, Jon
ryu

Re: R-Type Dimensions EX physical release for PS4/Switch

Post by ryu »

Good thing I didn't go for the digital release. Thanks for mentioning this :)
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

ryu wrote:Good thing I didn't go for the digital release. Thanks for mentioning this :)
HI, no worries. I hadn't heard anything on the forum about this release. I picked up the PS4 version. I have bought the xbox360 version digitally a couple of years ago and i really enjoyed the games. I'm glad i had the chance to get a physical copy, this will be the first time i've owned the rytpe game since i had it on the speccy cassette in 89.

Cheers, Jon
ShewtUmOp

Post by ShewtUmOp »

The standard PS4 version is $28.34 USD and the collector's PS4 version is $51.03, while the standard Switch version is $34.01 and the collector's Switch version is $56.70.

Is this a normal trend? I know the Switch is a newer system, but that really doesn't normally seem to make a difference for a new game. Is there a markup due to a difference in licensing/production/manufacturing costs?
guigui

Post by guigui »

As far as I'm concerned, I've almost always seen the games on Switch more expensive that on the PS4. Did not even pay attention on this one.
Nintendo needs to print money, you know ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Probably because blu ray discs are cheap, whereas you have to make a proprietary Switch card.

I saw Dimensions on the eshop. Is the port any good? Is the update any good? :P
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

I can't say much with regards to accuracy, but the game felt fine when I played the 360 version, and the 2d/3d switch on the fly is a fun gimmick, though I honestly did just end up using 2d myself most of the time
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I only really played the first R-Type in Dimensions
the graphics overahaul is great, but iirc when playing it with them activated some borders were a little off (like narrower passages in stage 6) and the 5th boss was a lot tougher than usual.
good thing is that you can switch from old to new graphics on the fly, which is totally awesome
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I got the digital release but I went and purchased the Collector's Edition for Switch as well because I'm a sucker for all things R-Type.

I even managed to get the aluminium art plates...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

Just went for the standard switch version.
Really looking forward to it.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Kollision wrote:I only really played the first R-Type in Dimensions
the graphics overahaul is great, but iirc when playing it with them activated some borders were a little off (like narrower passages in stage 6) and the 5th boss was a lot tougher than usual.
good thing is that you can switch from old to new graphics on the fly, which is totally awesome
Yep they did the same thing on PC. Didn't even remove the borders on the sides of the screen. Scandalous.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Ghegs wrote:I got the digital release but I went and purchased the Collector's Edition for Switch as well because I'm a sucker for all things R-Type.

I even managed to get the aluminium art plates...
Yeah, I'm a sucker as well, and bout the CE. I was hoping it would have a soundtrack, but no such luck. Still, I'm hoping the demand for it is high enough to warrant additional R-Type reissues down the road, or maybe finally a port of LEO on something other than a crappy PC compilation.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It's a minor thing, but it feels like a missed opportunity not having art from the US Nintendo arcade release of R-Type in the Switch version
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

I picked up the physical PS4 release but didn’t check if it is possible to configure the controller button mappings. That was the one downside to the 360 version that I hope has been rectified.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I've put a little bit of time into this release, and I have a question for those that are skilled enough to answer:

Do these versions of the games loop? I haven't gotten to the end of them of course, but on Infinite Mode R-Type II ended after the final boss. I was wondering if the Tozai people included the loop in their remakes on the Classic/Original mode. If you haven't looped the game, then this question might not apply to you :mrgreen:

It would be an unfortunate omission if so. I think they probably do because the leaderboards have scores as high as one million+, which I assume is only achievable on a second loop playthrough but I'd like some confirmation.

It's interesting reading old posts and discovering that apparently R-Type II -which is much easier in this version- is based off the World rom, vs. the Japanese rom (which is far more aggressive with more enemies, and more enemies coming from behind). This is unfortunate, but at least my skills on this version have somewhat transferred over to the PS1 port of R-Types (which itself is apparently not totally accurate).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Double post, but with pertinent information:
I can confirm through playing last night through Classic mode that R-Type II's second loop is still there on the Dimensions release for Classic mode. I wasn't able to find this browsing through forum topics as it's likely buried or poorly marked, but I thought i might as well make mention of it.

Despite this pack's R-Type II being the World ver (and easier) at least the devs didn't do something stupid and hacky like remove the second loop.

The only crucial game-play related bug I have found* is pretty oddly specific. The walking creatures in stage 2 fire shimmering gold bullets. Your force pod will not absorb these. In the arcade version they will. This doesn't force a whole lot of change to your routing but it is something to mention - it's unfortunate that it seems like this was missed. I doubt a patch at this late stage.

*non-crucially, the shifting platforms in stage 1 are in the wrong background layer and overlap your bullets from the force pod, but only the force pod. This doesn't happen when you shift to 3D. Luckily this isn't a big enough part of the stage to be any real problem. And it's lucky that I haven't found this type of background issue anywhere else in the game (as I've credit-fed to loop 2).
SPM

Post by SPM »

Old thread but I'm replaying R-Type II now through this collection. The fast forward feature makes it a superior version over the classic imo. The game reaches perfect flow and pace now. Graphics-wise I still prefer the classic look though!
EmperorIng wrote:The only crucial game-play related bug I have found* is pretty oddly specific. The walking creatures in stage 2 fire shimmering gold bullets. Your force pod will not absorb these. In the arcade version they will. This doesn't force a whole lot of change to your routing but it is something to mention - it's unfortunate that it seems like this was missed. I doubt a patch at this late stage.

*non-crucially, the shifting platforms in stage 1 are in the wrong background layer and overlap your bullets from the force pod, but only the force pod. This doesn't happen when you shift to 3D. Luckily this isn't a big enough part of the stage to be any real problem. And it's lucky that I haven't found this type of background issue anywhere else in the game (as I've credit-fed to loop 2).
Another mini-bug I've found is a block appearing in stage 3. It came, said hi and left. Then came back again to wish me luck and left again :lol: I'd never seen that before.

Here's the clip: https://youtu.be/QEl3wE232-s

And finally got my "1CC" (first loop) in the most intense run I've ever had in this game. Had to recover in stages 3, 5 and 6, leaving me with a blue laser fest for the most part of the run... but I made it! :mrgreen:
Will have to try the Japanese ROM as well. I just love this game.
And also: R-Type II > R-Type :wink:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
MJR

Post by MJR »

SPM wrote: And also: R-Type II > R-Type :wink:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Mad like a fox! He's right though; everything R-Type does, R-Type 2 does better - better balancing (now it's just "always hard" instead of "easy, easy, easy, hard"), better stages, better checkpoints, weapons, bosses - you name it!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

This is a high effort port and a good way to play the games, but just FYI it is not arcade accurate. Dimensions is a recreation rather than an emulation. It renders hitboxes differently than the originals do, which leads to some safe spots from the original game not working in Dimensions. Hardly game breaking, but you may not be able to copy every strategy from the arcade version. Since I'm pretty familiar with the original, those changes turn me off from getting this version, but for new players it shouldn't be an issue.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Very true; I have noticed parts and spots I could sneak into in this version not working on my PS1 copy of R-Types.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

I tend to prefer the 3D for R-Type 1, but way too much of the graphics nuance is lost in R-Type 2's 3D. The spritework on the battleship stage and the post-final-boss segment look so painfully half-done compared to the 2D.
SPM

Post by SPM »

EmperorIng wrote:R-Type 2 does better - better balancing (now it's just "always hard" instead of "easy, easy, easy, hard"), better stages, better checkpoints, weapons, bosses - you name it!
So true. Stages 1-3 are much more entertaining in the sequel. Harder and better paced, and with extra scoring opportunities, which is extremely valuable to have in the first stages of a shmup imo. Not to mention the last stage: dull Vs Oh shit oh shit oh shit!!! :lol:

Also... II's stage 4 is a better designed I's stage 6 and II's stage 5 is a more creative I's stage 4 (even if it's an utter mess the first time you reach it :mrgreen:)
To Far Away Times wrote:Dimensions is a recreation rather than an emulation. It renders hitboxes differently than the originals do
Yep, that should've been the same. Although one recreation I do like is the unblockable golden bullets in stage 2. It adds pressure! :twisted: (well... Except for the "WTF?" first time :lol:)
Firehawke wrote:I tend to prefer the 3D for R-Type 1, but way too much of the graphics nuance is lost in R-Type 2's 3D. The spritework on the battleship stage and the post-final-boss segment look so painfully half-done compared to the 2D.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about it. But I've replayed the first one in 3D and the second in 2D. It just felt good that way.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
MJR

Post by MJR »

I have always maintained a position that first R-type has level of visual design that has never been matched since in any of the sequels. Graphics may have more colors in the sequels, and they might be on systems that have better technical specs, but the level of invention and playability in the first R-type has been unmatched since. What specifically has put me off on R-type 2 is the way how the enemies appear more "blocky" rather than organic, probably as a result of sprite artist trying to fill the whole allocated space. The same off putting feel is in Tatsujin 2.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate R-type 2 very much. I've completed it's first loop too, on multiple platforms including the original arcade, but for me personally, it has never felt as thrilling or satisfying as the first one and probably never will. If someone wants to indulge on R-type 2 instead, I won't be stopping you.

And yes, I think it is apparent especially in levels 1-3 how much better the first R-type is, so I guess my opinion is the polar opposite from the post above :)
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Look at all these RT2 fans! I love it!

It's a great game. I do prefer the first game slightly, but I rate RT2 very highly indeed. Whereas the mid-stage checkpoint in stage 7 of the original game is justly legendary among those who know these games, there are several brilliantly designed checkpoints in RT2 -- and especially in the JPN version (also found on PSX R-Types). Stage 5 is incredible . . . though I usually am too much of a chicken to actually attack the boss, and I just time him out instead. And the mid-stage checkpoint in stage 6 -- again, especially in JPN/R-Types version -- could not be more satisfying to conquer. I'm practically jumping out of my chair every time I manage to beat this game.
MJR wrote:I have always maintained a position that first R-type has level of visual design that has never been matched since in any of the sequels. Graphics may have more colors in the sequels, and they might be on systems that have better technical specs, but the level of invention and playability in the first R-type has been unmatched since.
Agreed, the graphics in RT2 -- while certainly more detailed, and having just a touch of that same aesthetic that would later become so evident with In the Hunt and Metal Slug -- are not as memorable or appealing as the first game. But I'm nitpicking here....
MJR

Post by MJR »

Bydobasher wrote:Look at all these RT2 fans! I love it!

It's a great game. I do prefer the first game slightly, but I rate RT2 very highly indeed. Whereas the mid-stage checkpoint in stage 7 of the original game is justly legendary among those who know these games, there are several brilliantly designed checkpoints in RT2 -- and especially in the JPN version (also found on PSX R-Types). Stage 5 is incredible . . . though I usually am too much of a chicken to actually attack the boss, and I just time him out instead. And the mid-stage checkpoint in stage 6 -- again, especially in JPN/R-Types version -- could not be more satisfying to conquer. I'm practically jumping out of my chair every time I manage to beat this game.
MJR wrote:I have always maintained a position that first R-type has level of visual design that has never been matched since in any of the sequels. Graphics may have more colors in the sequels, and they might be on systems that have better technical specs, but the level of invention and playability in the first R-type has been unmatched since.
Agreed, the graphics in RT2 -- while certainly more detailed, and having just a touch of that same aesthetic that would later become so evident with In the Hunt and Metal Slug -- are not as memorable or appealing as the first game. But I'm nitpicking here....
I can definitely agree that R-type 2 is great, and I wasn't aware that the JPN / EU version had that many differences.. I tried to play R-types JPN version on PSX for many years, but I felt it was just too hard for me.. so you are doing quite well if you can beat RT2 as JPN version. Is there a way to switch the roms on R-type Dimensions, or do you just have to buy it from JPN e-shop on switch?

PS. I appreciate your nickname & avatar very much.. and the fact you registered one day ahead of me! :D
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

MJR wrote: I can definitely agree that R-type 2 is great, and I wasn't aware that the JPN / EU version had that many differences.. I tried to play R-types JPN version on PSX for many years, but I felt it was just too hard for me.. so you are doing quite well if you can beat RT2 as JPN version. Is there a way to switch the roms on R-type Dimensions, or do you just have to buy it from JPN e-shop on switch?

PS. I appreciate your nickname & avatar very much.. and the fact you registered one day ahead of me! :D
The versions aren't that different . . . but any fan will notice the differences for sure. Anyway, JPN version is just what I'm used to, because of PSX R-Types. I was never good enough to fully appreciate the game in the arcades! :D I've told this story before, but when I bought R-Types back when it came out, I ended up selling it to a friend because it was just too frustrating. I missed it though -- of course! -- so I bought it again. But I was still not up to the task, frustrations boiled over, and I sold it for a second time. :lol: And yes, I missed it once more . . . and I bought it a third time. :mrgreen: Finally, at that point, I managed to overcome both games.

Later on I got MAME, and for many years now I typically play both games on my computer. It was after I got MAME that I realized PSX RT2 is actually the JPN version, not the World version. Both are great, but JPN RT2 has that extra little bit of an edge (not like it needs an edge :lol: ), and I had come to appreciate that.

As to your question about whether you can switch versions on Dimensions, I have no idea. But consider:
To Far Away Times wrote:Dimensions is a recreation rather than an emulation.
That being the case, I'm guessing they didn't recreate both the World and JPN versions, but rather just picked one(?). I don't know for sure though....

And as for registration dates . . . :) I suppose we're both just from the old forums, part of that mass migration that took place in late January 2005 after the old forums crashed.... Back then, R-Type was talked about as one of the great shmups of all time, and some things don't change. But then, I remember Thunder Force III (which I still like a lot) also being talked about in similar tones . . . that's changed for sure :lol: . . . don't think TF3 even made our HM list this year....
MJR

Post by MJR »

Bydobasher wrote:
MJR wrote: I can definitely agree that R-type 2 is great, and I wasn't aware that the JPN / EU version had that many differences.. I tried to play R-types JPN version on PSX for many years, but I felt it was just too hard for me.. so you are doing quite well if you can beat RT2 as JPN version. Is there a way to switch the roms on R-type Dimensions, or do you just have to buy it from JPN e-shop on switch?

The versions aren't that different . . . but any fan will notice the differences for sure. Anyway, JPN version is just what I'm used to, because of PSX R-Types. I was never good enough to fully appreciate the game in the arcades! :D I've told this story before, but when I bought R-Types back when it came out, I ended up selling it to a friend because it was just too frustrating. I missed it though -- of course! -- so I bought it again. But I was still not up to the task, frustrations boiled over, and I sold it for a second time. :lol: And yes, I missed it once more . . . and I bought it a third time. :mrgreen: Finally, at that point, I managed to overcome both games.

Later on I got MAME, and for many years now I typically play both games on my computer. It was after I got MAME that I realized PSX RT2 is actually the JPN version, not the World version. Both are great, but JPN RT2 has that extra little bit of an edge (not like it needs an edge :lol: ), and I had come to appreciate that.

As to your question about whether you can switch versions on Dimensions, I have no idea. But consider:
To Far Away Times wrote:Dimensions is a recreation rather than an emulation.
That being the case, I'm guessing they didn't recreate both the World and JPN versions, but rather just picked one(?). I don't know for sure though....

And as for registration dates . . . :) I suppose we're both just from the old forums, part of that mass migration that took place in late January 2005 after the old forums crashed.... Back then, R-Type was talked about as one of the great shmups of all time, and some things don't change. But then, I remember Thunder Force III (which I still like a lot) also being talked about in similar tones . . . that's changed for sure :lol: . . . don't think TF3 even made our HM list this year....
Now that you said it, I remember the migration somehow vaguely. I used to post dodonpachi hiscores when Malc was still around :)

My shameful little secret is that I still play the C64 conversion of R-type from time to time, even though I have the jamma PCB at home and almost every conversion ever made. The commodore 64 version of it is not great by any means, but it was the first version of R-Type I ever saw (saw the coin op only much later), so I guess that's why it's still my favourite. You can't forget the first love or something like that. And the soundtrack is awesome. As for gameplay, the c64 version was made in few weeks in rush and it's more or less a joke :D

I often wonder why R-type 2 was only ported for 16-bit machines, but never for 8-bit. It doesnt feel THAT much more advanced, and in 1990 the 8-bit was still going strong. Then again, I only remember the "proper ports" of R-type 2 appearing on Amiga/ST, Snes version was some weird remix called Super R-type.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I agree on the first one being more organic. I like that especially in stages 5 and 2.
And stage 3 being a huge battleship is more impactful than the sequel, I know, but it's kind of dull. And I just love that stage in RT2.

Also:

But this doesn't change my overall opinion. In fact (hot take warning :oops: ) I don't like the first boss' design that much :roll: I mean, I like it, but It's too organic to be that static, or too static for an enemy that organic, if that makes sense. A bit more movement on the body/head would make a great difference.
Last edited by SPM on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR

Post by MJR »

SPM wrote:I agree on the first one being more organic. I like that especially in stages 5 and 2.

And also:

But this doesn't change my overall opinion. In fact (hot take warning :oops: ) I don't like the first boss design that much :roll: I mean, I like it, but It's too organic to be that static, or too static for an enemy that organic, if that makes sense. A bit more movement on the body/head would make a great difference.
I agree that Dobkeratops is quite static (so awesome that these we can know their names), but I felt (when I saw the coin op) that it had lots of nice details going for him, like the head coming out of the belly, eyeballs following you, and getting destroyed when dobkeratops took hits, and I also loved seeing that huge tail moving for the first time.

Lvl2 Boss in R Type 2 is one my favourite bosses from the series, as well as the last boss in R-Type 2. I would love to get a remix, where you play the both R-types as one game, and in single credit - the weapon systems are not THAT different. But now I am just fan projecting here..