Gradius 1 for PS4

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
trap15

Re: Gradius 1 for PS4

Post by trap15 »

Mihara's video is complete BS, just by the way. It's widely agreed to be totally wrong.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I don't think I'd ever seen any of that discussion, so thanks. I'm curious why he'd bother, though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Seems OK to me. I'd like some of those other ports to appear, give me Renegade.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

This port is still better than the PS2 Gradius V port. That shit was unplayable. This is so far from unplayable considering I 1CC'd it.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Gradius V was originally on the PS2, you know... What's wrong with it?
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I picked up Ninja Kid 2 and the port seems really good too. Nice graphics options and responsive controls. Those are the most important things to me, so I give hamster a :thumps up:.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

xxx1993 wrote:Gradius V was originally on the PS2, you know... What's wrong with it?
I suspect he means the emulated PS2 game for PS3.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Oh, right. Because I own the original copy and it's in perfect condition.
Domino

Post by Domino »

jepjepjep wrote:On the J-PSN they have a bunch more arcade games:
  • Ninja Kid 2
    Ikki
    Cosmo Police Galivan
    MagMax
    A-JAX
    Butasan
    Crazy Climber 2
    Gradius
    Syusse Oozumou
    Mr. Goemon
    Scramble
    Raiders 5
    Double Dragon
    Terra Cresta
    Exerion
    Karate Champ
    City Connection
    Nova 2001
    Solomon's Key
    Moon Cresta
    Renegade
    Wonder Boy
    Bomb Jack
    Exciting Hour
    Rygar
    Crazy Climber
    Ninja Kid
It looks like they've only released a few of these in the US and even fewer in Europe. The only other one I've tried out is Rygar and it seems to be a pretty good port too.
I want to bump this up since I purchased Gradius for PS4.

Port is good and I didn't detect lag (using a XBOX One Hori joystick using the Brooks converter). Also most of the titles above are available in US PSN. $7.99 might be a little steep but some of these games above are must haves IMO.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I liked Nova 2001 played on MAME back when sampling various UPL titles that way.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Domino

Post by Domino »

Another bump to this. Might as well rename this thread the PS4 Arcade Archives thread.

I purchased Gradius on a friend's PS4. I got a killer deal on a new PS4 Slim for $207 with tax last month via a friend. Puyo Puyo Tetris is all good stuff and a must import.

On topic: I went crazy and purchased a bunch of Arcade Archives titles. I didn't look hard enough but there are plenty of UPL and the later Nichibutsu titles (which included some good shooting games like Formation Armed F). I'm just happy that I can buy a good bit of the UPL titles legally (Atomic Robo-Kid, Nova2001, and coming soon Ark Area and Mutant Night). Keep in mind that Hamster owns the rights to the UPL (not too sure about the NMK developed titles for UPL) and Nichibutsu video game titles.

Like I said on my original post about Gradius 1, I don't have any issues with lag when using a Hori RAP VX-SE X360 thru a Brook XBOX360/XBONE to PS4 converter. Video options are plenty (full TATE, scanlines, etc.) so you can adjust to your liking. I still think they might be MAME Roms but to be honest it didn't bug me that much. I been playing a hell a lot of the Arcade Archives titles more than the actual PS4 software (but Puyo Puyo Tetris man, and soon Battle Garegga).

Ninja Warriors coming out, first Darius you can buy, and other stuff make them worth buying if you are really into arcade titles. However, the ¥823/$7.99 price point is semi-high for a lot of folks. Then again, they are aimed for a certain audience. I would be happy if Hamster can bring the later UPL titles to PS4 (Omega Fighter, Vandyke, Acrobat Mission, and Koutetsu Yousai Strahl).

So, who want to max out their score in NOVA 2001?
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I read somewhere on twitter that the emulation for this series is done by M2. If that's the case, no wonder it's very good. $8 for each release is perfectly reasonable to me when the quality is high. There are some real gems in the series as well, Gradius 2, Salamander, Darius 1, etc.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Kollision wrote:I liked the thread's previous title better :(
What was the previous title?
Domino

Post by Domino »

jepjepjep wrote:I read somewhere on twitter that the emulation for this series is done by M2. If that's the case, no wonder it's very good. $8 for each release is perfectly reasonable to me when the quality is high. There are some real gems in the series as well, Gradius 2, Salamander, Darius 1, etc.
These shouldn't be M2. Not on their website as official work.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Sinful wrote:
Kollision wrote:I liked the thread's previous title better :(
What was the previous title?
Post subject: Re: Gradus PS4
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Domino wrote:
jepjepjep wrote:I read somewhere on twitter that the emulation for this series is done by M2. If that's the case, no wonder it's very good. $8 for each release is perfectly reasonable to me when the quality is high. There are some real gems in the series as well, Gradius 2, Salamander, Darius 1, etc.
These shouldn't be M2. Not on their website as official work.
Not sure if it's true or not, but here's the tweet claiming it is: https://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/7 ... 8849180672

Whether it's M2 or not, at least the emulation seems pretty good.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Only one I purchased was Bubble Bobble, but whoever is programming this thing definitely has a sense of what arcade games should be like. The video modes are sensible, the game runs as it should, there's no quicksave bullshit or stuff like that. I don't really feel any input lag at all (unlike Taito Legends which is full of it)
There's a dedicated score attack mode which resets the game every time (keeping the powerup cycle in mind) and skips the title screen, removing the possibility for cheat codes - They even included a caravan mode which I thought was funny.

Only silly thing is the trophies which are absolutely laughable. In the case of BB, you just need to clear like the first 10 stages for 100%. You don't get anything for reaching the silver doors, or for beating the game for that matter. But you get one for posting -anything- to the scoreboard.
Fortunately, I don't care about trophies at all, but it's definitely tacked on by someone who didn't share the same insight in arcade games as the people who are behind the ports. It COULD have been a good way to ease people into difficult arcade games by giving them sub goals that teach the tricks and scoring techniques that define the game (popping 8 enemies at once, collecting EXTEND letters, finding all secret doors, etc).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I was surprised by some of the games available when I looked on the Playstation Store. Lots of Nichibutsu games! Terra Cresta! I'm getting PS4 for Christmas and I plan to pick up some of these titles.
Domino wrote: These shouldn't be M2. Not on their website as official work.
I noticed their site doesn't list the GBA VC games on WiiU, though it's mentioned in a press release on the site.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Domino wrote:Formation Armed F
Fuck yeah, I love that game. I'd definitely get that one if I had a PS4. And of course Moon and Terra Cresta and maybe Soldier Girl Amazon. I don't care for Terra Force, but Nichibutsu had some cool games in their library (like Kozure Ookami). Those FM cymbals are immediately recognizable.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

While earlier entries may have been low effort ports, the arcade archives for ps4 play perfect.

This is unquestionably the most accurate emulation yet of Gradius.

It even has the bubble system version, complete with 2nd stage bootloader and slower countdown. I'm still wondering how the heck they did that.

The imperfections the real hardware has compared to mame are all perfectly emulated (the occasional flickering line, the unsteadiness of the music, etc)

Mihara must have had some additional lag source. most likely the stick itself being set to use the analog instead of the dpad. certain arcade sticks when using the stick set to left analog will perform a rapid but smooth shift. this causes a bit of lag.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

zaphod wrote: Mihara must have had some additional lag source. most likely the stick itself being set to use the analog instead of the dpad. certain arcade sticks when using the stick set to left analog will perform a rapid but smooth shift. this causes a bit of lag.
The stick he used is known to have at least a frame of input lag. Then again, I have a variation of that stick (real arcade pro 4 kai with Xinput PC mode and hayabusa buttons), and didn't notice lag with the game. I definitely recommend not to use analog controls with digital games, especially Pac-Man (I didn't notice lag with the d-pad or digital sticks, but there is definitely lag with the analog sticks).
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Gradius V was still awesome either way.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Even the best game is going to suffer when badly ported. I've no idea how the PS3 porting of Gradius V turned out (I too have only played the PS2 original), but that's what was being criticised. Not the game itself.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pretas wrote:
jepjepjep wrote:On the J-PSN they have a bunch more arcade games:
They're all craptacular ports by Hamster, the same shovelware company that released Haunted Castle and several other old arcade games as MAME-on-a-disc for PS2.
Estebang for the sake of the little children imma bitch-slap you. Image

Spoiler

Go in peace and serve the LORD.

I've finally got around to trying this stuff out and ACA Rygar owns. Pretty sure Gotch Technologies handled the non-Neo ACA stuff up to The Ninja Warriors. They're staffed by founding Rutubo (32X/SS Sega Ages) peeps which would explain a lot. ACA Contra is also the first home release of the arcade game to fix the fucked-up enemy aiming in the 3D stages.

Also trap I owe you a Ninja Kun II review, somewhere down the road in The R2RKMF Thread! A rad action (bwaaa!) game, as expected per your recommendation!

Gradius is superb too. Mihara even though you don't browse here imma bitch-slap you as well. Image

Spoiler

Go in peace and serve the LORD.

If I wasn't H4RDCOR3 I would jack in my PS1 Deluxe Pack, but I won't, because it's good!

Kaitei Daisensou is in the upcoming batch, which I'm curious about with its heaving slowdown. If they can nail it without input drops I'll be even more impressed! They managed Saigo no Nindou and its rare but crushing bouts of slowdown (and 55hz refresh rate), and the inherently chuggy Metal Slug/X/3 before that, so I'm hopeful. Also, do Gun Hohki and R-Type Leo pls. Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »