Splatterhouse series / スプラッターハウス Supurattāhausu

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Splatterhouse series / スプラッターハウス Supurattāhausu

Post by BIL »

stryc9 wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw you catch him as he changed forms
Actually immediately after he'd changed - he's wide open then. :smile: You'll also notice I descend on him from the upper plane for that particular grab, textbook beltscroller move. If you walk up on him from the front, you're gonna get belted by his near-instant punch or shot from a distance.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Got 'im.

Just 1CC'd the game with 7 lives in reserve, with the good ending. I would have had more, but I made a couple of errors fighting the Evil One. Still, this time he went down like a sack of cold shit - those eye bolts aren't a problem at all after all that.

Hot damn, now to look at Hard mode. Any pointers? Do the enemies just do more damage or is there more of them? Or both?

I'm loving this game at the mo - great how you can take the meat cleaver in and hack the teddy bear's second form to death, instead of the usual grab routine - the fucker never even got to leave his spot in the corner, it was great!

One of the top brawlers on the console, easily. And to think I was so meh about it back on release :roll:
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been ages since I tried Hard, but I know on Game Master enemies get more HP, do more damage, and might rush in more often too. The headless/handless type can devastate Normal Rick's lifebar if you're careless and let them start their combo, and the fat bastard, dog and ghost types can all do ~90% damage with a single strong attack, making them extremely dangerous to fight without Monster mode. You have to fight craploads of st1 boss types from the second stage on, too - can't recall if it's that way in Normal.

I think enemies knock you down easier, as well. The ant-headed things become a real pain in the ass on Game Master since their two attacks (tongue stab and sliding kick) are both instant knockdown. I'm sure I remember just being hitstunned by the stab, but on GM it floors Rick every time.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Been really into this series lately. 3 is the only game I haven't at least completed. I 1cc-ed the original on PCE and the arcade emulation, and I've finished 2 but haven't learned clean enough strategies to 1cc yet. 3 though, I've never been able to finish. I prefer the straight sidescrolling games.

I want to get into it though, I was wondering it anyone could give me a full move list. I know the spinkick, but does Rick have any other special moves hidden away? And what is the command for the berserk form's "projectile"?
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
BIL

Post by BIL »

ACSeraph wrote:I want to get into it though, I was wondering it anyone could give me a full move list. I know the spinkick, but does Rick have any other special moves hidden away? And what is the command for the berserk form's "projectile"?
There's just the crowd control moves (spinkick/tentacles), plus Monster Rick's Izuna Drop. Before getting started, are you playing the US or JP version? The crowd control moves vary radically between regions, in both input and move properties.

US: command is away-towards-away-attack. Normal Rick isn't strict about directions, but Monster Rick is - so it's probably a good habit to always hit "away" relative to your position. Normal Rick's spinkick lasts several seconds and does huge damage on any of its multiple hits. Monster Rick tentacles don't cost meter in US. For these reasons, I consider the US one unbalanced... there's very little reason to not roundhouse constantly, and the slightly trickier tentacle input in no way balances out the lack of meter drain. Bit like Final Fight minus the bomb's HP penalty.

JP: command is attack+jump; or hitting one while holding the other (I like to keep "attack" depressed afer each hit when backstabbers are nearby, so I can whip out the RH on reaction). Normal Rick's roundhouse lasts only a split-second and does negligible damage, but is totally invincible and thus an ideal finesse move. Use it to stuff or evade otherwise certain damage. Monster Rick's tentacles cost a chunk of meter, making energy budgeting a real concern. I greatly prefer the JP version for these reasons.

Every other move is identical between versions, AFAIK. Besides the typical Final Fight-style punching combo, there's the grapple inputs.

Normal Rick: neutral pad + attack = headbutt (repeatable). L/R + attack = long throw. D + attack = body slam (less distance, more damage).

Monster Rick: neutral pad + attack = choke a motherfucker (repeatable). L/R + attack = long throw. D + attack = body blow. D + jump = Izuna Drop.

Rather than repeatedly knocking down monsters with the four-hit combo, it's more efficient to land the first three, then grapple, strike a couple times and conclude with a throw (this folds into crowd control nicely - chuck the chump into his would-be backup). Monster Rick's grapples = damage factory. Choke, choke + izuna will devastate bosses / big enemies quickly, and body blow does nasty damage too (good for swiftly killing lesser monsters outright). Even Monster Rick's punching combo does significant damage, but if something needs killing you'll want to get those murderin' mitts around their throat and smash skull into floor.

Note that some enemies like to block; you can exploit this by jump-attacking in, then landing and grabbing them while they're in blockstun. Works particularly well against those turtling motherfuckers the st1 bosstypes.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Fun game to 1CC, is the ol' Splatterhouse Part 3.

Some of the enemies can be a real pain in the arse on the higher difficulties, like those things that look like dead baby birds that like to slide around the place.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ya. >_< Got knocked down so many times in my run in stage 3, which really piles them on. Would like to redo that sometime. Nowadays I know whenever I'm approaching one to have attack depressed, so I can stuff 'em on reaction if they telegraph the slide before I'm in range.

Absolute worst enemies are the red Xenomorphs that not only slide, but do so totally untelegraphed. Luckily they're only encountered like twice (in my current route). The first encounter with them, in a tiny room in stage 4, I make a point of reaching with a full rage meter so I can bomb the fuck outta 'em.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

BIL wrote:combat primer
Awesome info as usual, thanks a lot for that. I'm on the US version right now since I don't have access to an MD at the moment, but it's OK, I don't mind it being broken for the moment since I'm still a bit of a scrub at it. Might pick up the MD version down the line. Did it ever get a Japanese virtual console release?

Anyhow I haven't actually started digging into 3 yet, as I decided I wanted to finish off the Splatterhouse 2 1cc while the game was still fresh on my mind. I'm getting pretty close I think, but there are still a couple points here and there giving me trouble and robbing me of the clear. 2 doesn't have the random factor 1 has with stage 6 that can totally rob you of a clear, but I feel like the execution barrier is higher overall.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Got the Splatterhouse 2 1cc last night and started 3 tonight. Ugh, no matter how hard I try I just can't get into it. The move commands don't read for shit, and getting knocked down every two seconds is not fun. I guess it doesn't help much that I'm using a 360 pad right now. I'm hoping it will grow on me, but I definitely prefer the simplicity of 1 and 2.

Edit: This final boss is fucking infuriating.

Edit 2: ...unless you grapple spam
drauch

Post by drauch »

I'd definitely attribute that to your 360 pad. I've always found that the game handles very well; my favorite SUPPRATTAUHASU, for that matter. The second game is the one that gets me frustrated if any. 3 for me just has everything going for it: creepy as shit, grotesque baddies, nasty CRUNCHES and POPS with all those exploding innards and bones when you vanquish your scrubby undead foes, multiple routes, dilapidated eerie locale, and one of the most depressing bad endings in game history. Goddamn, I love it. :mrgreen:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

drauch wrote: The second game is the one that gets me frustrated if any.
It's been a long time but I do concur with this. 2 felt like pretty blatant memorizer hell when I played it.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I really wish Namco would bring Splatterhouse back in a bigger way than that repetitive 3D brawler we got with the unlockable titty pictures.

I could really imagine a Demon's Souls-esque format working well for the series. It should feel genuinely creepy too, so no schlocky heavy metal tracks & hip tennishoes. The 3D one felt like it was directed by Rob Zombie rather than Lucio Fulci if you get what I mean. I did like the wicker man set piece though.

A Splatterhouse reboot or sequel could be f***ing terrifying if handled seriously. I mean, you fight sentient piles of festering guts. Your girlfriend has a worm eating her brain. There's Lovecraftian stuff. When Jennifer explodes into that nasty scab thing in the first game & then you have to brutalize it - that was horrible. I just think the series deserves better.
Godzilla was an inside job
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh, definitely. The revamp game is such a goddamn mockery. I refuse to accept it as a Splatterhouse game. Like with any sort of modern revamp, it's got to be tongue-in-cheek, so over-the-top, stupid-ridiculous. Being over-the-top is no problem when you're talking MAX ACTION, gore, etc., but this game goes that distance with all the wrong aspects.

Look at this awful MSPaint job I just made right now. This is one major reason why I hate it:

*EDIT FOR FURTHER RANTING*

I mean, besides the obvious Rick as a Bro/John Cena shit character design, just look at that stupid portrait of that snarling mad scientist to the side. The game is full of such stupid imagery. Even if they kept the 3D button mash modern game conventions, I could at least sort of respect it if they just kept true to the deathly serious design of the series. We already had a parody game; no need for another one. The existence of this game and the dullard vapidness of Double Dragon Neon brings me to the conclusion that I've probably got a boreworm inside my head, replacing my vision with pure drivel and heavy-handed spoof in the guise of 80s and 90s masturbatory nostalgia for twats.
Last edited by drauch on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
JBC

Post by JBC »

Uff, my eyes! Take it away... *faints*
Godzilla was an inside job
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

drauch wrote: I mean, besides the obvious Rick as a Bro/John Cena shit character design, just look at that stupid portrait of that snarling mad scientist to the side. The game is full of such stupid imagery. Even if they kept the 3D button mash modern game conventions, I could at least sort of respect it if they just kept true to the deathly serious design of the series. We already had a parody game; no need for another one. The existence of this game and the dullard vapidness of Double Dragon Neon brings me to the conclusion that I've probably got a boreworm inside my head, replacing my vision with pure drivel and heavy-handed spoof in the guise of 80s and 90s masturbatory nostalgia for twats.
Just like Castlevania: Lords of Shadows, another case of western developers blatantly misinterpreting the appeal of a Japanese franchise. To be honest, I don't think it has anything to do with western developers lacking "Japanese creativity" or some bullshit, I think it's just that modern AAA people just look down their noses at oldschool games and don't put any more thought into how or why the aesthetic worked than they do the gameplay. How can you translate the good parts of a 2d game to 3d if you think 2d is outdated shit?

Even extends to the indie scene to an extent though. Do you remember that kickstarter for reviving Ghosts and Goblins awhile back? The one that replaced the cute and quirky art of the series with a grim dark souls inspired aesthetic? Admittedly that one was supposedly a place holder, but come on.

At least the Maximo guys got it right. *edit* and Retro Studios with Metroid Prime. *double edit* on the other hand, Retro almost turned Mega Man into an abomination, so there's that.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

...and it's done. :twisted:

Damn that felt good.

I just 1cc-ed the three original games back to back with no restarts on any of the games involved in one sitting. In a sense I 1cc-ed the series itself. It really makes for an awesome adventure when taken in all at once, and it was also my first 1cc of Splatterhouse 3. I timed out intentionally in three to get the bad ending, since it seemed like the most fitting for this particular series.

I ordered a copy of Wanpaku Grafitti on amazon Japan last night, so I'll be putting time into that when it arrives. Until then, I guess it's time to get back to shmupping. 1943 aint gonna clear itself.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Congratulations AC. Now you can say Watashi wa Supuhratta Masuta.

I'm a little bummed looking back at this thread where I almost clinched the 1CC a while back, but stopped (due to IRL busyness). I've been warming up again to get that AC clear, and was able to make it to st7 on one particularly harrowing run where everything went wrong:
1) lost a life like an idiot in stage 3
2) fell down the hole in stage 5 and had to fight the Necromancer
3) after losing MORE lives killing the necromancer
4) lost another life on the bubble stage
5) lost the credit at the final boss random rock carnival

I am amazed that I persevered with so much shit.

But at the very least I think I still have all the general strategies down, I can clinch a clear by this weekend. Just in time for Splatterhouse 2 to continue the terror.

I've also found that this game is easier to play with my saturn usb pad than the keyboard, which is a reversal of other mame platformers (e.g. Ninja Warriors feels easier with arrow keys + zx).
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Thanks man :)

Honestly for me the thing that always screws my SPH1 runs is stage 6. It seems really random to me, like even if you have a good strategy you can just be dealt a bad hand. I hate how the blob things can spawn off-screen and that they are apparently invincible when airborn. And I also hate how if two bubbles are on top of each other and you kick them only one is destroyed and the other damages you. What the fuck is that!? I kinda think stage 6 is shittily designed honestly. At least in TG16 the little fuckers won't spawn if the bubble flies off-screen.

Is there any sort of super consistent strategy for stage 6? I just try to kill the bubbles as quickly as possible so I'm not over-run. Beyond that I mostly just pray that their spawning and movements won't fuck me over. I'd like to 1cc on the PCB when I head to Tokyo in May, but I don't want to flip out and punch a hole through the screen when I inevitably get fucked by stage 6 :lol:

Anyhow you should bust it back out and get the clear, it probably won't take you too much work, since for the most part it's just straight memorization.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

If anything you are probably going too fast on that stage. I find if I try to kill them all too quickly I tend to get hit. Better to hold back a bit and observe where the bubble is going to fly off too, so you can maintain a safe position and prevent getting sandwiched. Kill them when they are going down, not up so to speak. As for the off screen ones, when one flies off screen, I just hold still and start punching so the suckers jump right into it. I will not advance until they are all dead.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Tonight's lesson: third time's the charm.

One ended up in failure right before the boss of the bubble stage. I generally follow SuperDeadite's strategy (see where the bubbles are going, then move), though random spawns caught me off guard enough. It didn't help that stupid deaths in st4 and st5 lessened the pool of available lives.

The second run was much like the first, but I had somehow managed to make it to level 7 with two health and no lives. That's ok; just proceed cautiously. I royally fucked up at Cap'n Mozzarella; halfway through the fight I got too nervous and went in too fast, dying in a one-two rock spam. You could say it really pissed me off.

Starting again right away (because of aforementioned pissing), I went through, not dying until the Mirror Ricks on stage 5. The bubble stage was conquered in one go, and I made it to the last level with a great bounty of three lives.

What proceeded was a splatter house, except instead of a house it was my ass that was being splattered. Imagine my disbelief that not once, not twice, but three times do I die to this asshole. I keep on moving in too close at the wrong time, or get caught up in his easily-avoided hand attacks.

I nervously proceed to the final confrontation on my last life. Three times I get hit stupidly, till at a certain point I decide to say "fuck it" and try to quick-kill the bastard or (likely) die trying. I only half-expected the result of this charge:

ImageImage

Zip-a-dee-doo, a 1CC! That just almost didn't happen. Some splatter master out there must have been cheering me on. 8)
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

EmperorIng wrote:ImageImageImage
Nice job man! You got that way faster than I expected. I could feel the tension just reading that story, actually my first clear was similar to that too, barely scraping past the final boss on my last life. Sometimes the position of those hands and the falling rocks can just screw you and it gets frustrating.

Are you going to try for Splatterhouse 2 next? It's 100% memorization, but I had a great time learning it. Love that final boss music.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks! Splatterhouse 2 is on the way; later this week I will continue splattering with maximum prejudice.

As for bubbles/rocks, I guess it's kind of strange that a game so heavily based on memorization like Splatterhouse sort of throws that out for the final part of the game to give you somewhat dodgy (or rather hard-to-dodge) RNG.

EDIT:

At it again; this time a smooth clear with only one death (to a mirror Rick in st5 - it always feels a little random whether or not the double-hit connects). The boreworm room leading up to Jennifer always seems to nick me at least once as well. However: Jennifer, the bubble stage, and ol' Cap'n all went down without a fight. Talk about smooth sailing, ha.

the proof:
Spoiler
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Wanpaku Graffiti arrived last night, and I was able to complete it within a couple credits. The 1cc will probly take a little effort, but just completing it is much easier than the first two games. The pacing is quite different since you run so fast and can attack while moving, but it still feels like a Splatterhouse game. Pretty entertaining and quirky, though the final battle is a bit anticlimactic. The green mouse at the end of stage 2 is for sure the most difficult fight in the game.

I also downloaded the iOS version of the first game because it was 99 cents. I wasn't expecting much, but it's a very simple game so I figured it would at least be fairly playable on a touch screen. After all, while its far from the best scenario, even Streets of Rage controls semi-decently on iOS. Splatterhouse though... god its so bad it goes beyond frustrating and just laughable. The controls are extremely unresponsive. And even worse, the entire game is pretty fucked up in general. Clearly whoever programmed it didn't have much of an understanding of why things worked the way they did in the original and so most of the original strategies for the game don't work at all. I'm guessing whoever developed it viewed the original as an un-1cc-able quarter muncher, and thus assumed that if things worked similarly it was close enough. You can really see the difference in care put into the design by the oldschool Japanese arcade developers compared to the complete understanding of how arcade games work by modern developers. I guess in a way it's an interesting game just for that reason.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This is assuming that the people who ported it even worked primarily on video games in the first place.

I'd imagine doing any move with finesse, like sliding, is near impossible.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Actually they foresaw that and put in a button for sliding, so that at least is easy. But it's messed up in all kinds of other areas.

Just got the good ending SPH3 1cc and the Wanpaku Graffiti 1cc, so I guess I really am done with the series now until I can score an MD copy of 3. Now that I've got a good feel for it I can definitely see that it's broken.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Did you get the true ending for Wanpaku? It has 2 hidden stages, though they are quite easy to find...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Faaackin' ell I love SH3JP. Between the nonlinear stages and figuring out where/how to deploy Monster Rick and his hentai bomb, there's a lot to experiment with on top of the solid beltscroller action. I love the all-or-nothing approach to the meter, with the whole thing blowing out once a room's clear. Creates interesting conflict (grab those POWs now, or save them for the road?), and forces you to be 110% aggressive while in monster mode. That means serious fuckin violence ofc! So satisfying tearing apart crowds at breakneck (baaahahaha) speed on minimal POW, then throttling the life out of bosses with a full meter.

Here's the flying attack from deep -> blockstun -> grapple exploit I mentioned above. Also a bit of i-frame abuse beforehand, to foil that dirty backstabbin muhfucka.
Spoiler
Knowing what I do now about aggressive play, I'd have just dropped a couple bombs after that second knockdown and killed both outright. Sometimes (especially with turtle/chicken scoundrels like st1 bosstypes) you're better off burning meter to deal fast, reliable damage. Don't be afraid to bust out the tentacles like you filmin Urotsukidoji up in this bitch! BUT ALSO, with efficient play Monster Rick can beat the collective shit outta creeps with just his mitts! Decisions, decisions.
Spoiler
Now that's what I call GORILLA BEATINS Image
zallard1

Post by zallard1 »

Been playing tons of Splatterhouse. I've done pretty nice speedruns for both Splatterhouse 1 (Arcade on hardest dips & Turbo Grafx-16 versions), as well as Splatterhouse 2. I still want to get a good speedrun of SH2J with hardest difficulty settings (1HP the entire game), but that'll take a while since I'll still need to be aggressive in the gameplay for speed purposes. Haven't given Splatterhouse 3 a ton of time, but I have beaten it a few times before. One of these days I should give the J version of 3 a shot since it's crazy different from the US version in terms of attacks & damage output. Fun series :wink:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I really think I'm gonna have to take the plunge on 3MD...
SuperDeadite wrote:Did you get the true ending for Wanpaku? It has 2 hidden stages, though they are quite easy to find...
Hmmm I'm guessing I didn't then as I wasn't really aware that there were even special stages to find. I played the game blind without any video references. How do you access the secret stages?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

There are two crystal balls you can obtain. You can find out where to obtain them at this link.

I am impatiently waiting for my Splatterhouse 2 cart to arrive. What do I do in the meantime? Practice Splatterhouse 3 for my inevitable trilogy roundabout rally!

No joke that US version has one mean power kick. I just wish the tentacle attack wasn't so hard to pull off (it seems far more finicky than the roundhouse).

It makes it extremely difficult to defeat the Boreworm in any good time. I think I made it to the boss of stage 5 on 1 credit (the bubble bug). In general I am having a hard time with routes in the game because it does not seem clear to me how teleports work, or what the best routes are to the boss (with optimal weapons pickups etc.). It seems like going out of the way hurts your time more than it helps.