ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Blinge

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list

Post by Blinge »

Anyone have tips for getting st3 1-up with Shitta?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

The same as with any non-piercing ships with some modifications:

*Stay on top of the miniboss when it scrolls into view with standard option formation to take out the upper missile launchers.

*Afterwards - position options forward and shoot from the sides of the screen to take out the frontal turrets and damage the sides without destroying the center turret.

*Make sure to deal enough damage to the boss so you can kill him quickly when he's stopped.

For scoring: keep options positioned back when killing him off to not destroy the green planes with options.
Damage dealt previously is even more important for this.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

What's the best strat to get more birds to come out of the Castle?
To bomb the Castle early or to bomb it for a longer period of time, or both?

I usually bomb on top of it, after the Castle passes the middle of the screen and only score 500-600K from them, with Miyamoto.
I'm playing the 2016 Arrange btw.

Another question i had is, in NOSE LAVAGGHIN MK2, is there a way for me to prevent the small wing turrets on each side to fire when the boss is doing it's final wide small bullet pattern? They usually criss cross and F me up.
Or do i have to straight up dodge it?
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

*poke* *poke* ---> shmups
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Ey, Greg thread is alive!

I'd recommend you to watch the Q&A video as it should answer most questions.
I'm not sure wether the amount of birds totally spawned is effected by how long the castle is bombed or if it just increases the chance of getting several slow moving birds since they are spawned from as early as possible.
Miyamoto should bomb the castle asap to get more slow birds on screen when the screen scrolls up.

As for the propeller turrets; just destroy them both before you kill the core or straight up speed kill the boss by only shooting the center.
Image Image
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Thanks for adressing both points. i have watched a lot of stuff, and read the thread but didn't find anything on these.
I am currently training the later bosses.

Still lovin' it.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Glad to help! Hope you continue enjoying the game in the future.
For me personally it's the only game I've ever really played continuously in some form.
Image Image
the1truepickaxe

Post by the1truepickaxe »

Needless to say, it’s to your advantage to put forth sufficient effort to keep the rank under control: if you fail to do so to enough of an extent, later stages of the game will become literally impossible to beat. Not “very hard,” not “extra difficult,” Impossible, with a capital “I”. That said, there are several things you can do to control and manipulate the rank in this game, as detailed in the following sections, so read on.
Sorry, Icarus, but if someone can clear DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou without dying once, then someone can beat the later stages of Battle Garegga on maximum rank. Other than this one skepticism, this is one of the best comprehensive Shmup guides I have ever read.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I'd say the sheer number of enemies and the health scaling poses a bigger problem than the increased bullet density by itself. It's probably still possible with MMP Manpuku-style "bomb punching" but it's highly impractical to say the least. Actually just getting your rank that high in the first place is already pretty difficult.

For what it's worth Kamui does drive rank up to the maximum just before Black Heart mk.II by firing Gain's options off-screen at 30Hz (I remember there being a video of Kamui playing the recent M2 version with rank counter). Glow Squid at max rank is pretty ridiculous; keep in mind that the hitboxes in this game are significantly larger than those in Daioujou (also I'm not sure if anyone has actually no-missed both loops in DOJ thanks to the washing machine).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
the1truepickaxe

You make a good point. I just wish the hitbox size was a bit smaller...
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Aren't all the mame "max rank" videos actually hacked way past the rank cap the game allows? Max rank still looks doable to me based on the Kamui run, even if it's extremely hard
the1truepickaxe

Bananamatic wrote:Aren't all the mame "max rank" videos actually hacked way past the rank cap the game allows? Max rank still looks doable to me based on the Kamui run, even if it's extremely hard
Which is exactly what I am saying.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Bananamatic wrote:Aren't all the mame "max rank" videos actually hacked way past the rank cap the game allows? Max rank still looks doable to me based on the Kamui run, even if it's extremely hard
No, I'm pretty sure kamui doesn't actually max out the rank because the game would likely end up impossible to clear like that.

Keep in mind that enemies (and bosses!) will have 3x the normal health at real max rank. The game is almost certainly impossible to 1CC at actually maxed rank.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Kamui does max out the rank just before BH2 in this video of her playing rev. 2016 with the rank graph: https://youtube.com/watch?v=A-d8dGvk5Sw

That said, her rank barely surpasses 10% for the first four stages and doesn't cross 40% until the stage 6 opening.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Whew, that makes me look like an idiot :lol: Maybe Bananamatic's right about there being a rank cap, I don't know if I ever looked at how Garegga does it. In any case, you gotta be a god to play at max rank, so the comment about trying to keep it low still applies unless you're already close to WR. At which point why are you reading an ST :P
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

I notice rank creeps up with consecutive playthroughs on the PS4 version's arcade mode (as it did on the Saturn and arcade versions). How do I reset it back down again?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Martinov wrote:I notice rank creeps up with consecutive playthroughs on the PS4 version's arcade mode (as it did on the Saturn and arcade versions). How do I reset it back down again?
Selecting "Game Reset" from the menu should take care of that, it behaves like a PCB reboot.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

I just had to post this in reply to trap and Shepardus:
What's signified as 100% in the M2 port is not truly max rank. i.e. there is no rank cap afaik (aside from actually reaching max rank or a rank value of 0x00000...)
The 100% value was chosen based on at what rank BH2 spawns the most grenades that you can actually destroy quickly with Gains bomb.
The highest you should ever take rank if you care about score so to speak. Way higher rank makes the grenades have too much HP.
Image Image
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Learning this game takes his time, and i have been re-reading the strategy sections again.
The guide seems to be missing several screenshots. Could we bother Icarus a bit to refresh the links? Is he around?
Maybe somebody has the screenshots saved somewhere, and they could be kind enough to share?

Cheers :)
qmish

Post by qmish »

so photobucket killed some of pics here

edit:
oops already mentioned
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Here's a page backup with all the screenshots intact.
DEC 06 2015

If icarus eventually comes around, he can rehost the screens.
the1truepickaxe

However, MAME players will need to get both battleg (Garegga parent set) and battlega (Asian territories set). Load battlega in MAME, and when the game appears, press the TAB button, and negotiate to the Dipswitches menu. From here, change the Region to JAPAN, and the Bonus Lives option to NONE, then reset the emulation via the main TAB menu.
Where do you get these, and how do you load them into MAME?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The romnames have changed since that was written, you should just need "bgaregga" now.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
horaceappleton

Post by horaceappleton »

I've come back to this game, working on scoring with the Silver Sword. I'm still working on Mad Ball mk. I and II, especially the inner turret ring - I can't seem to figure out how best to understand the hitboxes of the three central turret types and the boss proper. I frequently either destroy the boss or the central turrent much too early, even when I think I'm positioned in a way that should only hit the inner turrets. I've also experimented with homing options, but they don't seem any better; they all just lock on to the center and usually take out the central turret. Any thoughts on the inner turrets specifically?
Spirit X

Post by Spirit X »

I'm playing the rev.2016 on PS4 and am very confused about the rapid shot changing. I've read how it should work but no matter how I set it up, the shot speed seems to be picked up incorrectly by the game.

I'm only really playing Silver Sword at the moment so I don't know if it's specific to that ship but basically, there's a number of ways you can set it up but none of them seem to work: (and in these examples, I am just holding the fire button, not tapping)

- First I tried setting my shot button (square) as "My Rapid Set" and then I have circle as "Rapid Speed" so I can change it during the game if I want to. When the game starts, I have 10 selected but as soon as I hold fire for 2 or 3 seconds, the widget on the right jumps to 15 and my frame rank goes up to 33. Then, usually about halfway through stage 1, the right-hand widget jumps up to 20 and once again, the frame rank readout jumps up. All the while I have not adjusted my shot speed and am still using 10Hz.

- So next I tried just having square as shot without the "My Rapid Set" applied to it. No different, the same issue occurs as soon as I start playing.

- Next I tried setting square as a set "10" and again, no change, the same problem comes up every time.

So once it bumps itself up to 12Hz and gives the rank increase associated with that, even though I'm actually still using 10, I figure I may as well use 12. But then as soon I do that, it bumps it to 15. This goes on and on. Whatever speed I select, the game readouts decide that I'm using the next higher speed and it keeps jumping up to the next speed every once in a while.

I did see a brief conversation about this on the previous page of the thread but no real resolution. This seems to be a pretty major issue with the game and I can't figure out why this isn't a heavily talked about issue.

There a recent update to the game I think so I don't know if maybe it's something that has come up since? If anyone knows a way to resolve it though, I'd be very grateful.

Edit: After making this post I went and did some more testing. First of all I need to make a correction, if you don't assign any kind of "Rapid" to the fire button, there's no problem. You just have to use the tap method to set your speed in that case. But after playing around with it for an hour, it seems to me that all of the Rapid settings are just plain broke, they don't work. No matter whether I choose the "Rapid My Set" or assign it "Rapid 10", "Rapid 12" etc....the game always thinks it's faster than it is and the more you play the faster the game thinks it is.
Last edited by Spirit X on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The issue is the game has a lot of minor slowdown, and during these times the input reader may believe your rapid is pressing too frequently. The reader is only requiring the duration between two presses to be smaller than the internal rapid rate to set it, so even one performance hiccup is enough to cause this. The solution is to only use the rapid buttons to try to change your autofire rate, then return to using the normal shot button.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

trap15 wrote:The issue is the game has a lot of minor slowdown, and during these times the input reader may believe your rapid is pressing too frequently. The reader is only requiring the duration between two presses to be smaller than the internal rapid rate to set it, so even one performance hiccup is enough to cause this. The solution is to only use the rapid buttons to try to change your autofire rate, then return to using the normal shot button.
Exactly this. I haven't played the PS4 version, but for what it's worth I run into the same problem trying to use autofire in MAME.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Spirit X

Post by Spirit X »

trap15 wrote:The issue is the game has a lot of minor slowdown, and during these times the input reader may believe your rapid is pressing too frequently. The reader is only requiring the duration between two presses to be smaller than the internal rapid rate to set it, so even one performance hiccup is enough to cause this. The solution is to only use the rapid buttons to try to change your autofire rate, then return to using the normal shot button.
Ok cheers trap, I'll give that a go.
Spirit X

Post by Spirit X »

Ok, I tried that solution and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

In order to have the speed you set with the "Rapid Speed" button actually affect your shot, you must have "Rapid My Set" assigned to your shot button. And having that assigned means that the error occurs frequently when holding shot.

The only way I can find to ensure the error does not happen is to make sure that your shot button DOES NOT have "Rapid My Set" assigned to it. That means that the only way you can then change your shot speed is to use the tap-tap method.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yes, the “rapid my set” is the autofire button I mean. You want to shoot with that button to adjust, but you can’t use it “properly” at some times. So you want a non-rapid shot button to avoid the speed change in those other instances.