shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:37 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52
 Post subject: Re: Castlevania Miscellanies
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 am 

Turrican wrote:
Interesting reading. I already knew that the "C" is for Christopher, so there may be some documentation out there explaining that. Game manual, or guide booklet or something.

Also, the Jiangshi were so popular that they managed to appear in Super Mario Land, with their characteristic jump, didn't they? :)

Konami never officially revealed what Ralph/Trevor C. Belmont's middle initial in any document. I'm assuming they left it ambiguous on purpose to avoid any overlapping between Akumajō Densetsu and Dracula Densetsu.

The back of Castlevania II's box actually has a screenshot with jumping zombies. I have to wonder if the code for that behavior still exists within the game.

BulletMagnet wrote:
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, if you thought Simon Belmont's appearance in Captain N was embarrassing, have a gander at what was once in the works.

On the other hand, that Double Dragon concept art actually looks decent though. Very faithful to the character art for the first NES game and much better than the show we actually got years later.

I can understand why they would take that approach with Castlevania though. By the 1980's the Universal monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy) were already seen as cheesy relics from the 1950's, so instead of trying to take the material seriously, they went with a more comical take. Not saying it's right, but it makes sense when you consider that context.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:26 pm 

happy to see M2 was involved in this recent Castlevania compilation. I assume it's quality. Has anyone tried this yet? I may pick it up this weekend but still have to figure out which platform to go with, dpads on both ps4 and Switch are less than ideal...
https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1128859281674067969

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 pm 

The Pokken Pads for Switch are supposed to have pretty good D-pads...
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 pm 

Actually I have that Pokken pad, it's not bad but the buttons and d-pad are a little mushy, especially compared to something like a Saturn or SNES pad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: vania is a adventure
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm 

Given that M2 is behind the collection and their track record of putting in the extra coin for enthusiasm; I wonder if they separately build a mode that corrects the mess that is the performance of The Adventure.

Can anybody tell?

AN' YO' KNOW WHUT THET MEANS!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 pm 

Ronyn wrote:
Given that M2 is behind the collection and their track record of putting in the extra coin for enthusiasm; I wonder if they separately build a mode that corrects the mess that is the performance of The Adventure.

Can anybody tell?

It seemed accurate to me, but the game was always a bit slow. It has graphical glitches on real hardware too. M2 has offered games with improvements before, but since this is emulation, I wouldn't expect them. I actually kind of like the game despite its flaws, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:23 am 

Seems that Castlevania vet Bloodreign stumbled upon a Highly Unusual review from back in the day comparing Nightmare Creatures and Symphony of the Night, and I independently re-discovered it looking up some info about Nightmare Creatures the other day.

I like Nightmare Creatures as much as the next guy, but this is Something Else. Brace yourself for a paragraph of true vintage insanity:

https://ew.com/article/1997/10/24/pc-ga ... ony-night/

...I've played a bit of the PC version of Nightmare Creatures within the last few years, and I don't think there's any fog in the game at all, unless I'm misremembering or it's present in one of the other format releases.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52