shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 8:58 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Japanese STG Difficulty Wiki
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:00 pm 

Despatche wrote:
You do realize you're talking about the shmup genre, where resources trivialize a lot of any game's design? Like, the whole point of a bomb is to make entire patterns and enemy formations go away, and without punishment in nearly all cases. There are tons of games that raise difficulty specifically based on what resources you have, in order to threaten the player with a more challenging game. To not consider raw difficulty is to act as if Garegga and the like are the only kind of shmups that exist. To not consider raw difficulty is also to buy into the whole "impossible quarter munching arcade games" bullshit, and I know you two are better than that.

Kinect DDP is not a good example, because Kinect DDP is not a good example of anything.

IMO considering "raw difficulty" makes sense only if you accept that shooting and dodging are the "real" game and lives and bombs are something tacked onto it. Which for many games is the case or at least seems like it, but I feel like that shouldn't be the norm.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 am 

Thanks to the efforts of this thread and these two threads:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64428&hilit=difficulty
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59651
I have a pretty good idea of the difficulty of various games, but I there are still several popular games that I can't help but wonder about, so if anyone has happened to clear these games, please way in on how difficult you think various types of clears are within them: Einhander, Judgment Silversword, Parsec47, Mountain of Faith on hard mode, Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo, Ginga Force, and ZeroRanger 2-ALL.

I know this I am asking for a lot, but this sort of thing really helps me a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 am 

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:
I have a pretty good idea of the difficulty of various games, but I there are still several popular games that I can't help but wonder about, so if anyone has happened to clear these games, please way in on how difficult you think various types of clears are within them: Einhander, Judgment Silversword, Parsec47, Mountain of Faith on hard mode, Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo, Ginga Force, and ZeroRanger 2-ALL.

I know this I am asking for a lot, but this sort of thing really helps me a lot.

• Judgment Silversword Normal clear with the standard ship (S-AIXRK) is about a 22/23
  • Mountain Of Faith hard mode clear with Reimu-B is about a 14/15

Can't say I have enough experience in the other games to really say, but I assume that none of them surpass 30.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 pm 

Square_Air wrote:
WarpedByTheNHK wrote:

• Judgment Silversword Normal clear with the standard ship (S-AIXRK) is about a 22/23
  • Mountain Of Faith hard mode clear with Reimu-B is about a 14/15

Can't say I have enough experience in the other games to really say, but I assume that none of them surpass 30.

That is about what I expected for Mountain of Faith, but wow! I was not expecting Judgment Silversword to be that much harder than Eschatos. Two of the mysteries solved is more than enough, I was not expecting one person to have all the answers anyway, so thanks a lot. Hopefully someone else has some idea for some of the others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 pm 

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:
That is about what I expected for Mountain of Faith, but wow! I was not expecting Judgment Silversword to be that much harder than Eschatos. Two of the mysteries solved is more than enough, I was not expecting one person to have all the answers anyway, so thanks a lot. Hopefully someone else has some idea for some of the others.

I would move lots of things around on the Japanese list, but JSS is at least a 20 for me. IIRC Eschatos normal is around the 12-15 range, though it's been years so it's a little hard to properly judge. The big difference comes down to the shield being so much more powerful in Eschatos and the boss rush at the end of JSS is tougher than any part of Eschatos normal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 pm 

I use those guides a lot too, and started keeping my own from games I've played (though I score them out of 5). FWIW, I've cleared about 7 games (inc some of their easier modes), with Darusburst AC Ex being the hardest.

I got a 1cc on Mecha Ritz on my first attempt playing the game. It has a very forgiving rank system that even makes bullets disappear. It's a cool game with some awesome bullet patterns. It seems to have a lot more to offer than simply going for a 1cc, but if that is your goal, I would say it is very easy. Probably the easiest shmup I've played, purely in terms of a 1cc.

Other games I'd highly recommend that I've cleared: Neko Navy (Hard), Blue Revolver (Normal) and Crimzon Clover (Novice).
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:35 am 

BurlyHeart wrote:
I use those guides a lot too, and started keeping my own from games I've played (though I score them out of 5). FWIW, I've cleared about 7 games (inc some of their easier modes), with Darusburst AC Ex being the hardest.

I got a 1cc on Mecha Ritz on my first attempt playing the game. It has a very forgiving rank system that even makes bullets disappear. It's a cool game with some awesome bullet patterns. It seems to have a lot more to offer than simply going for a 1cc, but if that is your goal, I would say it is very easy. Probably the easiest shmup I've played, purely in terms of a 1cc.

Other games I'd highly recommend that I've cleared: Neko Navy (Hard), Blue Revolver (Normal) and Crimzon Clover (Novice).

Are you talking about the original Mecha Ritz, or Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo? I had heard that Steel Rondo was at least a little harder, though maybe that was mostly for hi score achievers who push the rank.

Oh, and I keep a list as well, though it is still pretty short as well. It is based on the same rating scale as the jpn wiki. In other words, nothing I have cleared is very impressive lol.

Gradius- 10
Touhou EOSD Normal- 10? (been too long, but maybe somewhere around here)
Raiden Fighters 2- 10 with Slave, didn't bother with Fairy since it takes the fun out of the bosses.
Deathsmiles- 9? (been a while since I played it)
Cho Ren Sha 68k (sharp) 1-All- 9
Salamander- 9
Touhou PCB Normal- 8? (ditto)
Touhou IN Normal- 8? ("")
Metal Black- 8 using autofire
Gradius III Snes- 7
Axelay Normal- 6
Blazing Lazers- 5
Batsugun Special 1ALL- 5
Soldier Blade 1LC- 5 (1cc is almost the same difficult. Lives barely matter at all IMO)
Gate of Thunder Normal- 4
Thunder force V- 4
Super Aleste Normal- 3
Thunder Force III Normal- 3
Blue Wish Resurrection+ Original Peace- 2
Musha Aleste- 2
Lords of Thunder Normal- 2
Salamander Famicom- 2 (1LC until the last part)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 am 

Ahi sorry, it was the Steel Rondo version.
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:17 pm 

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:

I edited my old 1cc list post to have jp wiki style difficulty rating etc a couple weeks ago. JSS and ZeroRanger in there at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 pm 

I've made my own Touhou version of the list. It has every main series 1cc (excluding some No Bombs but in the end those are challenge runs).

Also there's been some changes to the list since it was last translated. For example, they've reduced Mushi Ultra from 42 to 39.
Same Same Same is still at 24 for some reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 am 

ZPScissors wrote:
I've made my own Touhou version of the list. It has every main series 1cc (excluding some No Bombs but in the end those are challenge runs).

Also there's been some changes to the list since it was last translated. For example, they've reduced Mushi Ultra from 42 to 39.
Same Same Same is still at 24 for some reason.

This looks pretty incredible. I am seriously amazed you cleared all these games yourself, wow. It will be a major help for sure.

Thanks for posting your list as well Zarock, though it might be tricky to convert your point system since I have never seen anyone rate Mushi as a 2 lol.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5