One more HDLoader question.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bigbadboaz

One more HDLoader question.

Post by bigbadboaz »

Guys, I have been reading a bunch of stuff and there's one specific thing I can't get a clear answer to, so I would appreciate help from someone who really knows the HDD thing well. Is there any way to turn on the PS2 and boot directly into HDL from the memory card, without any sort of disc in the drive? From the various forum posts I've been skimming I can't tell if the PS1 disc is needed to create the exploit file one time only, or is still needed to load the exploit each and every time at initial boot. I'm looking for a solution that will eliminate the use of the DVD drive entirely since fat-PS2 drives are so much more expensive than slimline drives.

If there is no entirely-discless exploit currently, is this something that could be developed later on? Or does the nature of the code involved make that impossible?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

As far as I'm aware, the only way to boot a memory card exploit WITHOUT using a PS1 disk is by using a modded system (modchip). Some mod chips allow you to boot like this by holding down the triangle button. Don't know which mod chips allow this unfortunally, just herd that what some people do.
zakk

Post by zakk »

You will need a PS1 game in the drive everytime you boot.

I suppose there's a theoretical possibility someone could develop a disc-less exploit (if some of the 'browser' code has an exploitable bug it could happen), but I wouldn't hold my breath.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Zakk, are you saying that the newer modchips Dave references still won't get me around using a PS1 disc, or are you just not familiar with them personally?
zakk

Post by zakk »

bigbadboaz wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys. Zakk, are you saying that the newer modchips Dave references still won't get me around using a PS1 disc, or are you just not familiar with them personally?
I was only answering in the context of 'exploit/memcard' booting.

Modchips will get around that issue. If you go with the DMS4 chip, you can run toxicOS; which is an hdloader like application specific to the DMS4. It even has better compatability with games (although patched hdadvance is damn close). I'm still using PS1+memcard exploit myself.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Zakk, so in this case, the modchip boots the HD directly (without a memcard exploit)? That would make more sense to me.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

If your concern is about the lens wearing out, the newest HDLoader stops the disc after it loads. It's being used only a couple of seconds per boot.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.