Is this joystick any good?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
iatneH

Is this joystick any good?

Post by iatneH »

Hori Real Arcade VF

I just ordered one and I'll probably stick a DB-15 on it, and *maybe* one more button if it helps offset the "elbow your buddy in the kidney" layout.

Just wondering how the components compare to Hori's middle-range lineup.

Damn play-asia, I just can't keep away! But this is the only thing in my order this time so I might only pay a few bucks in duties.
landshark

Post by landshark »

The stick and the buttons look VERY close together. I'm curious how large the overall unit is.
tekneekz

Post by tekneekz »

hmm i would like to know as well, 3 button joystick for 19 bucks sounds very good for shmups only.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Looks like MadSteelDizzle got one of these also.

Mine came in a week ago but I've been super busy so I didn't spend much time with it then.

I'm quite pleased with it, it's steel on the top and bottom, so it feels sturdy. The base is a decent size, about 2" wider than a Saturn. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of these parts can be replaced easily. The Start button is built right into the case, the action buttons are soldered down to a PCB, and the stick clips into a rectangular recess.
It's a definite improvement from my old controller though. I haven't played Metal Slug in months, but on one of my first runs, I completely destroyed my old high score.

Anyway, here's a bit of work I did on it.
DB-15 NeoGeo connector, with switch for A-B-C / C-A-B button layout.

Maybe I should have gotten one of these instead, if I were only going to hack it up. Only $10 more, and I'd be able to play fighters with it. Don't know if they're actually built from Saturn sticks though.

edit: and for landshark, the unit measures about 11" wide, 8" deep, and 1.5" tall