SPACE HARRIER vs PLANET HARRIERS

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
SPACE HARRIER

SPACE HARRIER vs PLANET HARRIERS

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

I always wanted to know; Do you like the old SPACE HARRIER :lol: or the new PLANET HARRIERS :wink: from SEGA??
And what do you all think of SPACE HARRIER 2500 for the PS2 :?: :?:
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

This belongs in Off Topic!

But for the record: I never played Planet Harriers, but I love the Arcade Space Harrier. I still remember first seeing it back than. Truly amazing stuff at the time. Especially the music is fantastic. I still like to play the arcade game when going to the Shen Mue Arcade! :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Hello and welcome to shmups!

Space Harrier is a great series but since it is a "3D on-rails game" it belongs in the off topic forum. The shmups chat board is solely for vertical and horizontal shooters. Feel free to discuss Space Harrier, Planet Harrier, Star Fox, Panzer series and such to your heart's content in OT though. :)
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Planet Harriers is some sort of spiritual sequel as it's not straight shoot and dodge game. The good thing is that you have a life bar, and you seldom run into obstacles. You also get a lock-on that lets you get items such as money, and life boxes. And you can use that money in the store to customize and power up your character with longer life bars, more bombs, or more lock-ons.

The only downside is that it uses a "pilot" control scheme, where up and down are reversed.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

i like that control scheme.
system11

Post by system11 »

Space Harrier. Classic. Still plays brilliantly.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

I love the original Space Harrier and totally dig the 3d ages remake of it.

Never played Planet Harriers. Even in Okinawa, I never saw it in an arcade (and I spent quite a bit of time in Sega's arcades)
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I like "Rail Shmups" too, although I've never played the newer ones you speak of.
I'd like to check out Planet Harriers though. What is it playable on?

Personally, I think "Rail Shmups" are shmups enough...saying that they are not "true" shmups is kinda like saying games like Micro Machines,Pole Position and Super Sprint are "true" racing games, whereas Gran Turismo, Tokyo Extreme, etc isn't? :?
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:I like "Rail Shmups" too, although I've never played the newer ones you speak of.
I'd like to check out Planet Harriers though. What is it playable on?
Planet Harriers never came out on a home platform, so let's just keep our fingers crossed that SuperModel will play it full speed on modern hardware someday (ditto for MAME)
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Planet Harriers has more of a Panzer Dragoon feel (most of your points/gold is awarded by multi-lockons). Simply put, it kicks all kinds of ass.

Space Harrier is just a classic...that's it.

The only PH arcade machine available around Vegas is a good 35+ minute drive to Primm, Nevada...plays nice, but only on the 2P side. The 1P side's monitor has some really bad ghosting. :/
Last edited by Skyline on Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nZero

Post by nZero »

roushimsx wrote:Planet Harriers never came out on a home platform, so let's just keep our fingers crossed that SuperModel will play it full speed on modern hardware someday (ditto for MAME)
I didn't think the game was on Model 3?

Anyway, the one I played had extremely twitchy controls, so it wasn't as much fun as it could have been-- although I totally dig the inverted flight controls. Awesome game idea though, and very attractive as well. I was hoping to see a DC port, but oh well, I guess it was out a little late for that (as was Virtual On 4Force)
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

nZero wrote:I didn't think the game was on Model 3?
Yea, you're right and I'm wrong :(

The only stuff I've seen from it is an exceptionally low res video and assorted screenshots :(
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

It's on a gigantic, oversized Hikaru system.... I wish they'd get these things emulated, b/c it is one fantastic game. I saw it VERY briefly in Tokyo, and only played it a few times. I've got a demo of it on a DC Magazine demo GD Rom if anyone wants to see.... seeing asw how I'm breaking out my capture card next week.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Planet Harriers did get a US release. I played one in an arcade at a mall in Ocean City. I think it's a sweet game. It plays like a combination of Space Harrier, Star Fox, and Fantasy Zone. I love the Opa Opa cameo.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

space harrier is one of my all-time classics, but the ps2 remake looks like utter shit, never played it though.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Wasn't the Megadrive version of Space Harrier kind of a sequel as well? Or more like a dodgy remix...

I always liked the Master System port, despite the tech limitations. I've read they kinda screwed up last year's GBA port, but I'm not sure to what extent...
Brian

Post by Brian »

Actually, of all the Sega Ages that were put out last year, the new Space Harrier was the best of the bunch. It's not earth shattering, but still highly playable.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

GaijinPunch wrote:It's on a gigantic, oversized Hikaru system.... I wish they'd get these things emulated, b/c it is one fantastic game. I saw it VERY briefly in Tokyo, and only played it a few times. I've got a demo of it on a DC Magazine demo GD Rom if anyone wants to see.... seeing asw how I'm breaking out my capture card next week.
please! :D

i want to play this game SO bad.
and actually coinopexpress.com has it for a mere $3514! its so expensive because it was only available in a dedicated cabinet and the cabinet is a two-player cockpit. :shock: Must... rob... bank.
I have no sig whatsoever.
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

Thunder Force wrote:I always liked the Master System port, despite the tech limitations. I've read they kinda screwed up last year's GBA port, but I'm not sure to what extent...
They screwed it up compared to the arcade version mostly because some of the sprites are smaller than they should be, but it still plays like Space Harrier should, is definitely (obviously) more accurate than the Master System version, and is the best portable version available.

People are too hard on it. The Outrun and Super Hang-On ports are good as well (not spot-on, but again, good for what they are and still more than accurate enough to still be enjoyable), but Afterburner admittedly deserves the crap it gets. That's definitely the worst port in the bunch.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

sethsez wrote:
Thunder Force wrote:I always liked the Master System port, despite the tech limitations. I've read they kinda screwed up last year's GBA port, but I'm not sure to what extent...
They screwed it up compared to the arcade version mostly because some of the sprites are smaller than they should be, but it still plays like Space Harrier should, is definitely (obviously) more accurate than the Master System version, and is the best portable version available.

People are too hard on it. The Outrun and Super Hang-On ports are good as well (not spot-on, but again, good for what they are and still more than accurate enough to still be enjoyable), but Afterburner admittedly deserves the crap it gets. That's definitely the worst port in the bunch.
I agree. The GBA ports of Outrun, Space Harrier, and Super Hang-On may not be arcade perfect, but they are still good ports and a ton of fun to play.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

sethsez wrote: Afterburner admittedly deserves the crap it gets. That's definitely the worst port in the bunch.
This is probably because it's a port of After Burner 1 (not After Burner II, which is the real game- hence the MD/Gen/PCE/X68000 ports being called ABII.). AB1 has no throttle, and you cannot blow up ground targets in the canyon stages.

Super Hang-On is pretty good, although the scoring is off from the arcade.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
SPACE HARRIER

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

Here is a list of all SPACE HARRIER games;

SPACE HARRIER(ARCADE)="A CLASSIC" :D

homeversions;
SPACE HARRIER(SATURN jap)=the best homeversion money can buy. :lol:
SPACE HARRIER II(MEGADRIVE)=OK graphics for 16 bit, not great just good. 8)
SPACE HARRIER(MASTER SYSTEM)=only 8 bit,LOTS of pop up but good gameplay. :wink:
SPACE HARRIER 3D(MASTER SYSTEM)=it was for the segascope, very good 3D effects,new enemy's,very hard on later levels. :shock:
SPACE HARRIER 2500(PS2)=i was expecting more of it. :evil:
SPACE HARRIER(GBA)=best portable version available. :o
PLANET HARRIERS=no home version available :cry:
Image = = = = = = =
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

gameoverDude wrote:
sethsez wrote: Afterburner admittedly deserves the crap it gets. That's definitely the worst port in the bunch.
This is probably because it's a port of After Burner 1 (not After Burner II, which is the real game- hence the MD/Gen/PCE/X68000 ports being called ABII.). AB1 has no throttle, and you cannot blow up ground targets in the canyon stages.
Well, that and the fact that the sprites are so small on the GBA screen that you can't see anything clearly, resulting in deaths from missles you didn't know existed.

But yes, the original wasn't the best game to port in the first place.

Edit: for any Atari nuts, here's a nifty project going on:

http://www.sheddyshack.co.uk/
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

SPACE HARRIER wrote:Here is a list of all SPACE HARRIER games;
Don't forget the great 32X version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SPACE HARRIER wrote:Here is a list of all SPACE HARRIER games;

SPACE HARRIER(ARCADE)="A CLASSIC" :D

homeversions;
SPACE HARRIER(SATURN jap)=the best homeversion money can buy. :lol:
SPACE HARRIER II(MEGADRIVE)=OK graphics for 16 bit, not great just good. 8)
SPACE HARRIER(MASTER SYSTEM)=only 8 bit,LOTS of pop up but good gameplay. :wink:
SPACE HARRIER 3D(MASTER SYSTEM)=it was for the segascope, very good 3D effects,new enemy's,very hard on later levels. :shock:
SPACE HARRIER 2500(PS2)=i was expecting more of it. :evil:
SPACE HARRIER(GBA)=best portable version available. :o
PLANET HARRIERS=no home version available :cry:
That's not all. There are also TG-16, Shenmue/Shenmue II ports, 32X, countless home computer versions, and Famicom versions.

The 32X, Saturn, Shenmue, and Shenmue II ports are near arcade perfect, but there is a glitch that prevents the shooting from working properly when running on the ground. It doesn't effect gameplay too much, but it sure is annoying haveing to avoid running on the ground. That is one of the only advantages of the GBA version over the arcade one. I'm glad that the GBA got a great ports of Space Harrier, Outrun, and Super Hang-On, even if they aren't arcade perfect.

I tried the Famicom port of Space Harrier and I wasn't thrilled with it. It has slowdown that effects gameplay and the firing rate is too slow.

One interesting tidbit. The Tengen NES After Burner is actually After Burner II. It's a port of Sunsoft's Famicom After Burner II with slightly altered graphics and the voice removed. Very odd changes. The Tengen NES port even has the afterburners.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

you forgot the DC version on game works vol.1 (like toaplan shooting battle, i don't think there ever was a vol.2)
SPACE HARRIER

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

OOPS!!

I see that EVERY COMPUTER/CONSOLE has a version of SPACE HARRIER,
So here are 3 more that i forgot to put on the list;

SPACE HARRIER(MAME)==arcade perfect :D
SPACE HARRIER(CELLPHONE available in japan)=I think not good :(
SPACE HARRIER(GAME GEAR)=same as the master system version :?

For more info onSPACE HARRIER check:http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/w ... N&wb_dis=2

Are there more ALIVE?????
Image = = = = = = =
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: I'd like to check out Planet Harriers though. What is it playable on?
Unfortunally its a unique dual cab design (I've never herd of, or seen it in a single cab). Its ment to be a 2 player game...so unlikely we will see someone just selling a PCB.

Sega was on their way to porting it to Dreamcast, just before DC died.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

^ yeah, you better believe i was super pissed when i found out about this (it being brought it in the last days, and then being canceled).
I have no sig whatsoever.