Can't Update VP50 Firmware

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
that1crzywhtguy

Can't Update VP50 Firmware

Post by that1crzywhtguy »

I have been driving myself crazy trying to update the firmware on this VP50. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me get this done!

I grabbed the folder here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58498

I'm using a FTDI usb serial adapter (this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759HSLP1?ps ... ct_details) on 2.12.28.0. I set the COM port to COM1.I set transmit to cr+lf in terminal setup. I set the baud rate to 57600 under the COM1 entry in Device Manager, in the vp50, and in TeraTerm. I set flow control to hardware in TeraTerm and Device Manager.

When I set software update mode on my VP50, TeraTerm shows the bootloader and says "Please load the .abt file now..." I select send file, pick the appropriate file, check the binary box, and when I hit open, I immediately get "Loading...Failure/Data file corrupt. Check File..." and "Loading...ERR Press any button." on the VP50.

I've scoured the net, finding this thread: viewtopic.php?t=67532&start=30

Everyone else online posting about this has seemingly missed a step that I listed above.

I'm going crazy! Any help?
Guile

Re: Can't Update VP50 Firmware

Post by Guile »

Hi, I was the last poster in that thread and I did update my vp50. The only difference I can see from what you posted is using "Hardware" as flow control and I believe I used Xon/Xoff as I didn't see a hardware option.

It's been a long time so I can't remember what I did precisely. You could also try another serial ftdi adapter. I think I have the Sabrent one.
that1crzywhtguy

Guile wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:56 am Hi, I was the last poster in that thread and I did update my vp50. The only difference I can see from what you posted is using "Hardware" as flow control and I believe I used Xon/Xoff as I didn't see a hardware option.

It's been a long time so I can't remember what I did precisely. You could also try another serial ftdi adapter. I think I have the Sabrent one.
Hi there! I saw you post in that thread in fact, and it inspired me to try it your way (even though everything said it should be "hardware"). That didn't work for me unfortunately! I order 5 more adapters today lol. When they come, I'll see if one works (one is the sabrent). Fingers crossed. Don't know what else to try. :(
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Yes. Try a different adapter.

DVDO recommended a FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter.

I still have my old one. I regret that I cannot recommend a current seller for a known working cable.
We apologise for the inconvenience
that1crzywhtguy

orange808 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:50 am Yes. Try a different adapter.

DVDO recommended a FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter.

I still have my old one. I regret that I cannot recommend a current seller for a known working cable.
Will report back when the new ones come in! I did get a FTDI adapter, but maybe it just almost works somehow. So odd.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Might be cheaper/easier to just get an old PC with a serial port...
Gara

Post by Gara »

I used this adapter to successfully update my VP50 Pro back in 2019
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030IT780/

Unfortunately I don't fully remember the process. I vaguely remember the instructions I was using didn't fully match the process, but I somehow muddled though. I hope you can get it going.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I had actually considered getting one of these years ago, what are they actually used for these days? Old SD Film content?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Josh128 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:13 pm I had actually considered getting one of these years ago, what are they actually used for these days? Old SD Film content?
It's does okay.

A lot of people like Faroudja machines best for deinterlacing film. DVDO (Anchor Bay) and HQV were more competitive with video.
that1crzywhtguy

So here is the update (it's a bad one unfortunately):

I have now tried these as well:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006AA04K0?ps ... ct_details
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG83YVC?ps ... ct_details
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07589ZF9X?ps ... ct_details

All behave exactly the same. Tera Term connects, I see the bootloader, says to load .abt, but it immediately fails, and the VP50 gives "Loading...ERR Press any button."

I have a straight serial cable and a laptop in the house that runs windows 98. Is there a win98 compatible version of TeraTerm? Anyone know how to do it there?

I'm frustrated. I'm stuck on v1.0 and the features I need this VP for are only on later firmwares.

(I'm hoping to use this as a processor for my sony G90 projector btw.)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I see that Tera Term is still maintained on GitHub, so you could try a newer version. I have no idea if the packaged USB to serial driver works on Win10/Win11.

Also, please double check you're using the VP50 firmware. Just for clarification, you cannot make a VP50 into a VP50pro with a firmware update.

It's also possible you have a bad unit.
that1crzywhtguy

orange808 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:52 pm I see that Tera Term is still maintained on GitHub, so you could try a newer version. I have no idea if the packaged USB to serial driver works on Win10/Win11.

Also, please double check you're using the VP50 firmware. Just for clarification, you cannot make a VP50 into a VP50pro with a firmware update.

It's also possible you have a bad unit.
I tried the newest driver and the one that DVDO had referenced. Also tried a different version of Ter Term.

I did double check that firmware, and have even tried multiple versions. I'm on 1.0. Have tried 1.4, 1.6, and 1.9.

It is indeed possible I have a bad unit somehow. It does work completely it's just stuck on 1.0. :(

I want to try a direct serial cable if I can make a tera term version work on win 98.

It's just odd because it seems to be working until I try to actually send the file. I see the bootloader etc... This has been a frustrating process for sure.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

You don't need Windows 98 to update the VP50. If the transfer failed at around 1% you maybe had the TX method set wrong. 8 bit data, no parity, 1 bit stop.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Bad solder is also apparently a problem on DVDO units:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35153

I need to get around to disassembling mine one of these days, don't have much need for it nowadays, but it's been non-responsive and already checked it with multiple PSUs.
that1crzywhtguy

BuckoA51 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:09 pm You don't need Windows 98 to update the VP50. If the transfer failed at around 1% you maybe had the TX method set wrong. 8 bit data, no parity, 1 bit stop.
This is how I had mine setup, on two different computers. One windows 10, one windows 11. Tried 3 different cables. The only thing I can think else to try before giving up is straight serial, and the only computer I have that has a straight up serial port is win 98.
that1crzywhtguy

I guess there must be something wrong with my VP50. I tried my windows 98 laptop, direct serial connection and it did the same exact thing. "Loading...ERR/Press any button." on the VP50 screen, and "Loading...Failure/Data file corrupt. Check File." on Tera Term. :(

Edit: Is anyone aware of any issues going FROM 1.0 to, say, 1.04 and up? 1.04 is the oldest I've found, and I can't get it, or 1.07, or 1.09 (latest) to load. All show the same issue.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

You have a bad unit. It's time to face the unfortunate reality.
that1crzywhtguy

Yeah, back on the hunt.

I luckily got this one very cheaply.