[V1.01 UPDATE] Dimahoo Mame Gadget Overlay: Treasure Tracker, Rank Meter and More!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

ARE YOU GREAT?

WE ARE GREAT!
14%
WE ARE TOUGH BOUNTY HUNTERS
29%
CHICKEN IS NO NEED
57%

Total votes: 7

EmperorIng

[V1.01 UPDATE] Dimahoo Mame Gadget Overlay: Treasure Tracker, Rank Meter and More!

Post by EmperorIng »

Several talented artists and coders in the larger shmup community decided to address a long-standing problem with Great Mahou Daisakusen/Dimahoo, that being the game is a confusing pos. Well, they might not be able to solve that second problem, but with their new gadget overlay for the game, the confusing part is no more!

https://epozzobon.it/re/gmahou/

V1.01:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vkbufrz5 ... u.zip/file

Code: Select all

V1.01 - Fixed a bug which caused a crash getting a legendary shield from the chests on Stage 4
Video of the Overlay in Action

FEATURES:
  • Treasure tracker,
  • Rank display,
  • Contextual hints telling you how to drop the secret treasures,
  • Input display,
  • Boss HP and timer display,
  • Chitta Vtuber Operator-chan Window!

Installation:
  1. Use Mame 230 or newer
  2. In the Configure Plugin options Menu, enable Layout Helper
  3. Put the gmahou.zip file above in Mame's artwork folder
  4. Reload and enjoy!

NOTE: This only works on the Japanese version, Great Mahou Daisakusen

ImageImage
Last edited by EmperorIng on Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sumez

Re: NEW! Dimahoo Mame Gadget Overlay: Treasure Tracker, Rank Meter and More!

Post by Sumez »

This is crazy. :D
Of all the STGs out there, Dimahoo is probably the one that actually needed these sort of gimmicks the most.
Also crazy props for going with a beautiful pixel art style that actually matches the look of the game really well. M2 could do well to learn from these guys. :)
cfx

Post by cfx »

Sumez wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:17 am This is crazy. :D
Of all the STGs out there, Dimahoo is probably the one that actually needed these sort of gimmicks the most.
Also crazy props for going with a beautiful pixel art style that actually matches the look of the game really well. M2 could do well to learn from these guys. :)
While I appreciate the effort this no doubt took and do think aesthetically it's very nice, I don't agree with the last sentence. Compared to M2's work, it's too visually overpowering and distracts your focus from the game screen. M2 would make the colors and contrast more subdued on the gadgets, and also make the borders a little wider so they aren't butting right up against the game screen and edges of the screen.

The M2 one this is most similar to I think is Mahou Daisakusen, where M2 followed the game's style as well, but kept it more subtle.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

cfx wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:57 am Compared to M2's work, it's too visually overpowering and distracts your focus from the game screen.
In theory I agree with this point, but have you seen M2's gadgets?? I find them extremely distracting and usually prefer playing without them. The fact that they clash so much with the game's visual style is only more distacting to me.
I agree though, that it would probably be better if this was designed more subtle compared to the action in the gameplay window. And that goes for M2 as well. ;)
cfx

Post by cfx »

With M2 I find it depends on the game. I quickly turned them off for Darius and Darius II as they're definitely overpowring on those.

With Mahou Daisakusen I think the style matches and they aren't distracting, though an option to dim them would still be nice; I think the same thing about the wallpaper on every game. ESP.ra.de's seem ok as well adn the ones with the Aleste Collection are fine. I don't have any of the Toaplan games.

I prefer to use tate but I can be too lazy to rotate the monitor much of the time. In that mode though, I don't really like them above and below the game screen, nor do I want anything but just black in that case.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hah, I hadn't seen the ones they made for Mahou Daisakusen - it's obvious they were a direct inspiration for this one. It's really cool.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

EmperorIng wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:12 amaddress a long-standing problem with Great Mahou Daisakusen/Dimahoo, that being the game is a confusing pos.
Sumez wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:17 amOf all the STGs out there, Dimahoo is probably the one that actually needed these sort of gimmicks the most.
This looks like a great learning tool with an awesome presentation but Dimahoo is perfectly fine and playable for score without such gadgets.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Feedbacker wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:26 pmThis looks like a great learning tool with an awesome presentation but Dimahoo is perfectly fine and playable for score without such gadgets.
Very true, but partly bc the game has its own hidden gadgets already. And they are fairly awkward to manipulate. Pics of certain Raizing cabs I've seen use a start button mapped below the shot button to help with that.

Now that I think about it Raizing was doing gadgets since before it was cool lol.

Either way good stuff. It would be cool if M2 sees this and gets motivated to do GMD shottriggers. :P
baf

Post by baf »

Thanks for the thread and these kind words!
I'm glad to see everyone playing (and scoring!) GMD these past few weeks.
Shame that this layout sparked some controversy due to Emulation and such, but nothing to worry about.
Last edited by baf on Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No information given.
EmperorIng

Re: [V1.01 UPDATE] Dimahoo Mame Gadget Overlay: Treasure Tracker, Rank Meter and More!

Post by EmperorIng »

There was a game-crashing bug found in the original overlay, but it has been patched and a new link/new file is above. Please redownload!

Code: Select all

V1.01 - Fixed a bug which caused a crash when getting a legendary shield from the chests on Stage 4
Feedbacker wrote:Dimahoo is perfectly fine and playable for score without such gadgets
You are technically correct, but I can't tell you how much more I enjoy the game without bringing up the laundry list. I estimate about 300% more enjoyment.

Now, if there was an update that put your charge shot level close to your ship, then the game would be practically perfect (minus the rng). As it stands that is a minus 100% to overall enjoyment.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

baf wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:00 pm Thanks for the thread and these kind words!
I'm glad to see everyone playing (and scoring!) GMD these past few weeks.
Yes, thank you for your and olifante's hard work, this has really opened up this game to be way more accessible - and frankly, fun! I look forward to any new improvements in the future!
OmegaFlareX

Re: [V1.01 UPDATE] Dimahoo Mame Gadget Overlay: Treasure Tracker, Rank Meter and More!

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Download & Installation
Sorry! The download link has been removed as requested by the copyright holders! But don't worry, just be patient and you will eventually get an official port with gadgets! 😉
Shot Triggers release confirmed?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

OmegaFlareX wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:44 pm
Download & Installation
Sorry! The download link has been removed as requested by the copyright holders! But don't worry, just be patient and you will eventually get an official port with gadgets! 😉
Shot Triggers release confirmed?
Or, "copyright holder" says "Take this down or else! Don't worry, we have great plans for this ;) " and we get a shitty Capcom Arcade Stadium 3 wet fart of a port riddled with RE Engine bloat.
The possibilities are endless!