Sylphia boss references

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

Sylphia boss references

Post by Skyknight »

So, after checking the Google Translated manual…Italicization means that the name is an educated guess on my part, not attested explicitly or tacitly by the game.

1-1: Asterion
1-2: Medousa
2-1: Khalkotauros (finding automatoi in Greek myth besides Talos is not on the easy side…It’s worth noting that stage 2 is identified as Crete)
2-2: Talos
3-1: Ketos
3-2: Skylla
4: Hydra
5-1: Gryps
5-2: Argos (if this were a peacock, it would be a different story. Gaia and Apollon sicced Skorpios on Orion when the latter tried to prove himself to Artemis with a plan to hunt and kill every single wild creature, so it’s on the side of good. The stage is Hades-controlled gold mines, and the gryps was famous for being protective of gold, so maybe we can extrapolate from there?)
6-1: Chimaira
6-2: Phalanx (I found him from an account of a pre-Ovid version of the curse of Arachne; she and her brother Phalanx had been tutored by Athena in weaving and warfare respectively, but she turned them into spiders “doomed to be eaten by their young” when they became incestuous)
7-1: Charon (yes, the manual identifies him as such. Don’t ask me where the manticores came from.)
7-2: Ker
8-1: Kerberos (no etymological connection; “kerberos” means “mottled”, “ker” means “doom”)
8-2A: Hades
8-2B: Iapetos/Tartaros/Achlys??? (The story mentions that Hades had been corrupted by creatures long before sealed by the gods, so probably a Titan or Gigas. Iapetos is suspected to have ruled over death before Hades and Thanatos, so he’d fit nicely. Tartaros as the father of the Gigantes and prison of the Titans could also work. Although nothing suggests she opposed the gods, Achlys is strangely fitting—Hades is directly corrupted by a mask, the final boss destroys his eyes, and Achlys’s influence was incarnated by the mist that overcame the eyes of the dead and dying.)
SavagePencil

Re: Sylphia boss references

Post by SavagePencil »

Kerberos would be better-known as Cerberus, the three-headed dog that guards the gates of the underworld.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Ketos (κῆτος) is Cetus, a greek term to refer a huge sea monster like the one who tried to devour Andromeda as a sacrifice.
Talos (Τάλως) was a giant bronze automaton created to protect Europe from Crete.
Achlys (Ἀχιλλεύς) might be a mispelling of Achilles who became invincible (except for his heel) when he took a dive in the Styx river.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

No, not a misspelling, I assure you. https://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Akhlys.html

EDIT: Meanwhile, I found a better recording of gameplay on Nico Nico than the one I found on YouTube--as in the framerate gave proper depiction of the 7-2 boss's bird wings, sonic projectiles, and electric attacks. -.- I'd suspected her to be one of the Keres precisely because I was trying to make sense of the fins on her back as actual wings, while thinking this probably isn't actually one of the Harpuiai. (They're harassing you in the first part of st. 3, anyway.) Still, the Harpuiai were supposed to be the female equivalents of the Anemoi Theullai, male storm wind gods born of Typhon and bound with him in Tartaros so they couldn't sow havoc except as the gods desired. So that could explain the lightning. If she's a Harpuia, I'm particularly thinking Aello, as her name means Storm-Wind.

The sonic projectile is a different story, though. Between that and how her back fins are fish-like, maybe she's supposed to be a Seiren/Siren? Still, st. 7 is Sylphia flying over the Acheron to get into Erebos, thus Charon as the midboss. The Seirenes don't have even the slight connection to Erebos and Tartaros the Harpuiai do through being analogous to Typhon's sons. Finally, while Eris was depicted with wings, she didn't have bestial limbs.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I think I finally figured out the 7-2 boss—she’s the Theban Sphinx.