Killon (Steam) - now available

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

Killon (Steam) - now available

Post by FunktionJCB »

Killon, a new indie shmup «Inspired by 90s shooters like Aleste, Truxton and Batsugun» is out now on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2520560/Killon/

The game features 16-bit aesthetics (the borders even mimic a SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis :wink:), various modes, and online leaderboards.
SavagePencil

Re: Killon (Steam) - now available

Post by SavagePencil »

I would challenge the "16-bit aesthetics" part there. Although it does look like it leans heavily on the fixed EGA palette.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

SavagePencil wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:09 pm I would challenge the "16-bit aesthetics" part there. Although it does look like it leans heavily on the fixed EGA palette.
It's a bit of a mixed bag, in terms of visuals. :)

Some elements remind me of games I played on the Amiga, others would be more at home in, say, the Turbografx (that kind of frontier where things look a bit better than 8-bit, but not quite 16-bit).
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

To me it looks like "what if we could do an 8-bit Aleste with no sprite limits, but let's tie our hand behind our back in terms of palette?"
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Purchased and played this yesterday. Never have I been so quick to hit fhe refund button in 18 years on Steam. Wouldn't even know where to start with my complaints.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

-Fish- wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:48 pm Purchased and played this yesterday. Never have I been so quick to hit fhe refund button in 18 years on Steam. Wouldn't even know where to start with my complaints.
Sorry to hear it.

I'm yet to try it (it's an insane period of game releases, so I have to skip some stuff; just today, between games and DLCs, I ended up with 10 new purchases :shock:), so I was hoping to read some impressions on the game. Considering your feedback, consider me officially "scared off" buying it. :mrgreen:

Is it that bad?
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

FunktionJCB wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:27 pm
-Fish- wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:48 pm Purchased and played this yesterday. Never have I been so quick to hit fhe refund button in 18 years on Steam. Wouldn't even know where to start with my complaints.
Sorry to hear it.

I'm yet to try it (it's an insane period of game releases, so I have to skip some stuff; just today, between games and DLCs, I ended up with 10 new purchases :shock:), so I was hoping to read some impressions on the game. Considering your feedback, consider me officially "scared off" buying it. :mrgreen:

Is it that bad?
I'm generally a laid back and pretty forgiving person. I also don't leave negative reviews because i realize devs generally make games out of passion.

But yes, in this case it is that bad. There is nothing redeeming about it unfortunately.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

-Fish- wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:03 pm But yes, in this case it is that bad. There is nothing redeeming about it unfortunately.
Too bad. :(
I always hope for the best, and love being positively surprised with smaller projects, since a lot of cool stuff being made frequently goes unnoticed (Gana Blade, for example, was a positive surprise).
Of course, sometimes the oppositive happens, and you get a complete mess of a game.

You win some and you lose some. :wink:
clippa

Post by clippa »

Yeah, I only managed to get to stage 2 after 50 minutes play. It's absolutely brutal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBU8tnRyFuQ

My run ended when I got shot up the arse by an enemy who'd disappeared off the bottom of the screen :S
The steam page says that it's "For Beginners", which is just ridiculous.
It's janky as hell, and has lots of issues, but it's hard to tell if they're "bugs" or if it's all intentional and exactly how the dev wanted it to be.

I think I saw an option to increase the speed of your ship so I'll try that next time.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Thank you for the footage. :!:

Damn, that final section of the clip is hectic, with bullets coming from everywhere. Beginner friendly?! :lol:
clippa

Post by clippa »

Being able to crash into the ship that you spawn from is just evil!
There's your beginner friendly stage 2!

https://streamable.com/imak36

It seems like the enemies are more aggressive the more aggressive you are, so you have an easier time of it staying low down at the bottom of the screen and playing it safe.
I'm not sure if I'm having fun but there's something that keeps drawing me back :D
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

clippa wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:13 pm Being able to crash into the ship that you spawn from is just evil!
There's your beginner friendly stage 2!

https://streamable.com/imak36

It seems like the enemies are more aggressive the more aggressive you are, so you have an easier time of it staying low down at the bottom of the screen and playing it safe.
I'm not sure if I'm having fun but there's something that keeps drawing me back :D
Yeah it's not fun at all. But I could see someone getting addicted to just trying to survive. :)

The game is definitely jank from the pixel art to the animations to the SFX and more lol.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

I may of made a mistake with this one and judged it too quickly. Decided to try it again and oddly enough it becomes enjoyable just to see how far you can go. It is brutal though but i think that may be the appeal. Not sure if "fun" is part of the equation though. Unless you feels as if fun is smacking yourself in the balls with a hammer.
Last edited by -Fish- on Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUOK

Post by RUOK »

Hi there I just played your game it looks attractive with a kind of xevious, staforce vibe. Gameplay wise I like the enemies and that flame thrower enemy is quite cool. My main criticism is that I had to treat the game almost as if I am doing a passive run, powering up seems unbalanced. Perhaps the base weapon should be spread or slightly stronger. Thanks for your efforts, oh also the intro cinematic is dope.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

RUOK wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:45 pm Hi there I just played your game
Just a quick note, to clarify things: I didn't make the game, I just posted about it, after coming across its page on Steam. :wink:
RUOK

Post by RUOK »

Ah my apologies I misunderstood. I may spend more time with this today, I was thinking about it away from my PC so it may be better than I think
kaffaboi

Post by kaffaboi »

Tempted but looks like abandonware. Worth buying?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

kaffaboi wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:27 amTempted but looks like abandonware.
A game that's not even a year old looks like abandonware...?

It looks like a cute indie release, the title screen's nice, though the collectable items/gems are a bit hard to distinguish from enemies and other background elements. It's very colourful like an Aleste game, but I'm not entirely sure about the special weapons having limited ammo. All the reviews are positive, so it can't be that bad. Boils down to if 14 bucks or so for a small indie shmup is too rich for your taste I guess? Cheaper than the price of a movie ticket and longer lasting, though.