Were the Eighting mobile games ever dumped?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zinger

Were the Eighting mobile games ever dumped?

Post by zinger »

I've wondered about the mobile versions of Battle Garegga, Soukyuugurentai and Mahou Daisakusen ever since they appeared on Eighting's website decades ago. Not really expecting them to be good games or anything, but I'd still like to see how they move and hear their soundtracks... Anyone know if these games have been dumped/emulated, or if there's footage of them somewhere?

Can't find the page on 8ing's website now, but luckily it's been archived:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070129144 ... 02-06.html

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
SOUNDSHOCK
BIL

Re: Were the Eighting mobile games ever dumped?

Post by BIL »

Whoa, I knew about the various CAVE ones, but never those. :o Even at such tiny dimensions, that artwork pops right off the screen...

Whether or not motion might spoil the illusion, I'd love to see how they performed, too.

(off-topic, but on the subject of killer 90s pixel art - having finally played Runark/Growl via its recent ACA release, I finally recognised your old avatar from that lategame boss's frames :mrgreen: apologies if I'm thinking of someone else, I could swear it was yours :cool:)
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

As far as I know they're not out there in any public way, but there's some footage of i-mode Battle Garegga here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxnm98sUaVM

If we're lucky, maybe G-Mode Archives will get to them.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Wow, thanks for sharing that video Ms. Tea.

BIL, yes that was me. Huge Runark fan. 8)
SOUNDSHOCK
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

I had noticed back in November 2021 that a Japanese org called the Game Preservation Society had put out a frantic call for help in downloading and archiving i-mode games ahead of the closure of the i-mode store later that month. Sounds like they were trying to download as many of the titles as they could that were still existing on the store at the time, and would figure out what exactly to do with all that data later.

The organization's annual newsletter from December of that year (https://www.gamepres.org/en/media/contents/docs-public/, Vol. 05) gets into a bit more detail about what they managed to do, and the work going forward--it sounds like there's some sort of DRM/encryption that needs to be broken before the backups could be usable. Given that the organization is based in Japan, it's unlikely that any of the games saved would be released publicly, even if they do end up being decrypted. I didn't see a list of all the games dumped anywhere (in my admittedly quick skim), but it could be worth getting in touch with that group to ask about specific titles? That could at least answer the question of whether they've been saved.

I'm not sure what the situation is with other carriers' content services. That video Ms. Tea posted of Battle Garegga is on an au (KDDI) phone, which would mean it uses KDDI's EZweb service, not DoCoMo's i-mode as the title states. The archived Eighting site shows that Bargle Gargle and Mahou Daisakusen released on i-mode and EZweb (plus whatever weird state the Vodaphone/Yahoo!/Softbank ecosystem was in at the time) while Souky was EZweb only. I don't know if this makes any difference even if dumps did turn up, as there would likely be similar issues of DRM (as well the issue of just running the applications in the first place).