Neo Geo MV1B battery replacement

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NOAH

Neo Geo MV1B battery replacement

Post by NOAH »

Hey, all. After over 15 years of arcade collecting I finally got a Neo Geo board :lol:

It’s an MV1B and it won’t save the bios settings. There’s no battery on it and I’m wondering if anyone has a link for a battery replacement. Any help would be much appreciated.
BazookaBen

Re: Neo Geo MV1B battery replacement

Post by BazookaBen »

I'm doing a MV1F board right now, and I figured out the battery stuff with just a little bit of googling. There is like 20 years of forum posts and a lot of videos about this subject.

Anyway, the main options seem to be either replacing it with another rechargeable battery, or disabling the recharging circuit (clipping one resistor) and putting in a coin battery like a CR2032.

I did the first option, because I don't think I care about long term high scores. If I don't play for a year and the battery drains, then that's fine
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

what is the original battery to begin with?

I am kinda expert on this since I designed a mod board for dreamcast which has 18650 battery with all its related circuitry since no solution is perfect.

DC is special one since its circuit draws a lot more than usual... but what about yours?

please post pictures of it and type of battery so I can give you my recommendation.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

VEGETA wrote:what is the original battery to begin with?
There was no battery so I can’t really say.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

BazookaBen wrote:I'm doing a MV1F board right now, and I figured out the battery stuff with just a little bit of googling. There is like 20 years of forum posts and a lot of videos about this subject.

Anyway, the main options seem to be either replacing it with another rechargeable battery, or disabling the recharging circuit (clipping one resistor) and putting in a coin battery like a CR2032.

I did the first option, because I don't think I care about long term high scores. If I don't play for a year and the battery drains, then that's fine
Any idea where I could find that rechargeable battery?
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

VEGETA wrote: please post pictures of it and type of battery so I can give you my recommendation.
I will when I get a chance, but there is no battery on it.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

NOAH wrote:
VEGETA wrote: please post pictures of it and type of battery so I can give you my recommendation.
I will when I get a chance, but there is no battery on it.
I meant the original design, not necessarily the unit you got.

here is a complete board: https://8bitplus.co.uk/wp-content/galle ... _job-3.jpg

battery it has is VG2430 which is a rechargeable 3v li-ion battery. replace it with any modern alternative but do not get cr2032 since it is not rechargeable...

on a quick search, this one seems ok: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pan ... dIrQ%3D%3D

but it is not same size, you can easily disconnect original one and install this instead.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

NeoJamma used to sell solderable battery holders that once you solder in, you can change the battery as you please without any further soldering. Look him on on Facebook or Ebay, Im sure he still sells them.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

Sorry it took a while, but I finally got one of these battery holders installed.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads ... ent.18079/

Unfortunately it couldn’t fit under the AES-type shell because of the reset button so it had to be wired away from the solder points. Any recommendations on coin cell to use? The charging circuit is still intact.