Radiant Silvergun (Switch) - Limited Run Games update

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Radiant Silvergun (Switch) - Limited Run Games update

Post by hamfighterx »

If there's already a topic about the physical Switch Radiant Silvergun release by Limited Run, I apologize but I couldn't find it! Feel free to lock/move as needed if there's a topic already out there...

Anyway, got the below email update today, thought people might be interested. I ordered the game back in October 2022 when LRG put it up for sale.

I'm curious if this is the same reason for the very long time on LRG's Espgaluda II CE and Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu CE versions, which went up for sale in July and September of last year, respectively. They also have chiptune soundtracks as part of their Collector's Edition versions, also by Live Wire. Maybe same thing going on? Standard versions of those two seem to have already shipped to people, but not the CE variants.
Limited Run Games wrote: Update Regarding Physical Release of Radiant Silvergun for Nintendo Switch

We wanted to update all buyers on the production status of all editions of Radiant Silvergun. We initially launched pre-orders for the game in October of last year, and are making great progress on getting the physical releases manufactured and delivered. We apologize that it is taking longer than initially anticipated to get the game into your hands.

As mentioned during our physical release announcement, Live Wire, the developer behind the Nintendo Switch version of Radiant Silvergun, decided to produce a chiptune arrangement soundtrack that will be included as a CD exclusively with the Collector’s Edition.

In order for as many fans as possible to enjoy this new chiptune soundtrack, Live Wire has also decided to add the chiptune tracks into the physical game cartridge itself, in addition to its inclusion as a CD in the Collector’s Edition. Limited Run and Live Wire are also hard at work on the package design, and as a result, both companies need more time to get the physical product ready.

As a result of the decision to add the chiptune arrangement into the game, Limited Run will need some extra time to get the physical game cartridges (including for the Standard Edition) ready. This chiptune arrangement soundtrack, composed by artist PEPOSOFT, is an official arrangement of legendary composer Hitoshi Sakimoto’s music, offering a dynamic 8-bit retro interpretation of the Radiant Silvergun soundtrack.

We hope the wait will have been worth it. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Jonpachi

Re: Radiant Silvergun (Switch) - Limited Run Games update

Post by Jonpachi »

I’ll gladly wait for this update, and am especially happy even my scrub basic edition will get it.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... gun+switch
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

hamfighterx wrote: I'm curious if this is the same reason for the very long time on LRG's Espgaluda II CE and Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu CE versions, which went up for sale in July and September of last year, respectively. They also have chiptune soundtracks as part of their Collector's Edition versions, also by Live Wire. Maybe same thing going on? Standard versions of those two seem to have already shipped to people, but not the CE variants.
I don't know if you're used to ordering from LRG, but getting a game from them in less than a year after you placed the order would be incredibly fast.
For the last few orders I've put in, the average wait time has been around 14-15 months.
Don't assume stuff is going on, it's just their M.O.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sumez wrote:I don't know if you're used to ordering from LRG, but getting a game from them in less than a year after you placed the order would be incredibly fast.
For the last few orders I've put in, the average wait time has been around 14-15 months.
Don't assume stuff is going on, it's just their M.O.
I've purchased 50+ games from LRG over the years, back to some of their very earliest releases (logged into my account and I see Limited Run #4 - Oddworld New N' Tasty for PS4 back in 2016 as my first). I have almost never had any take a year. Usually it's in the 5-7 month range from the time orders close, occasionally some are a little quicker, occasionally some are a little longer. I'm in the US, if that makes a difference.

That being said, I typically buy standard editions and ignore the "Collector's Edition" stuff. But for Galuda 2 and DFK, I wanted those soundtracks and went for the CEs. Looks like people who ordered the standard editions already have those games in hand.

A few of the more recent arrivals I've had (looking through my order history on my account):

Jamestown+: Ordered that on December 31, 2022. Got it in May, 5+ months.
Demons of Asteborg: Ordered that January 24, 2023. Got it in May, 4+ months.
Valis Collection 2: Ordered September 18, 2022. Got it in April, ~7 months.
River City Girls 2: Ordered September 9, 2022. Got it in February, ~5+ months.
Sol Cresta is one that took a pretty long time. Ordered that February 4, 2022 and didn't receive that until January 2023, so 10-11 months from sales closing.

For some older ones, I recall Battle Garegga CE and Dangun Feveron CE also taking a while, but I see I ordered those in May 2019 and April 2021, respectively. Received both of those in December of the same year (I remember well because both were in time for Christmas and got wrapped and put under the tree), so 7-8 months after my orders.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The only one of those I've ordered is Jamestown. That order was from January, so it's only running on 5 months so far, still not shipped.
I have additional orders from November, September, August and June last year also still not shipped.

I too have been ordering from them since Oddworld, and also never get their crappy collectors packages :) Though they've always been slow (usually averaging 6-8 months), it's been consistently worse the last couple of years.

Additionally, the last couple of orders I got from them were:
Ordered March '22, received March '23 (Ender Lilies, Gotta Protectors, Shadow Man)
Ordered November '21, received february '23 (Narita Boy, Witch n Wiz, AVGN, Mushi)
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

LRG are absolute trash.
1+ year for releases… it’s mental.
But yeah, I’m just whining like everyone else.

At least with this delay we get a cool little bonus.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sumez wrote:The only one of those I've ordered is Jamestown. That order was from January, so it's only running on 5 months so far, still not shipped.
I have additional orders from November, September, August and June last year also still not shipped.

I too have been ordering from them since Oddworld, and also never get their crappy collectors packages :) Though they've always been slow (usually averaging 6-8 months), it's been consistently worse the last couple of years.

Additionally, the last couple of orders I got from them were:
Ordered March '22, received March '23 (Ender Lilies, Gotta Protectors, Shadow Man)
Ordered November '21, received february '23 (Narita Boy, Witch n Wiz, AVGN, Mushi)
I wonder if some of this is also LRG being worse if you're outside of the US. Because I got Mushi (standard edition) way back in July 2022. Got my Jamestown about a month ago. Gotta Protectors in mid-February '23.

Anyway, somewhat beside the point - I agree that LRG means waiting a long time for your games, usually with minimal visibility and without good communication (though in the past month they seem to have started doing email updates to give more details about status). I'm pretty OK with LRG though because I know what to expect, and I've ordered many times and they have always delivered for me... eventually.

It is interesting that their releases from Live Wire seem to consistently be on the longer end of ship times though: Radiant Silvergun, DDP DFK, Espgaluda II, Mushihimesame, Ender Lilies... Maybe the developer shares some fault for these particular releases. I'm not particularly bothered by waiting a little longer for reasons like Live Wire wanting to include the additional soundtracks on the cartridge and make them playable in-game, for RS (and hopefully Galuda & DFK!), but interesting at any rate.
cfx

Post by cfx »

To avoid potential disappointment, note that nowhere in that message does it state that the chiptune soundtrack will be selectable to play as the game's soundtrack while playing.

The wording only suggests it will be on the cartridge, and playable via a menu or sound test presumably. The "In order for as many fans as possible to enjoy this new chiptune soundtrack [...]" part suggests the acknowledgment that people may not have CD players or other disc players to play the CD.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Stopping by to chime in that LRG is trash. The last standard edition I ordered from them took 9 months to arrive. Before that they let another couple of my orders sit in their stock room for months while they waited for unrelated items to arrive. Months ago they released a statement alluding that production times for specialty pack in items like collector cards were the cause for their ridiculously long fulfillment times over the years. Yep, fulfillment times are still awful. Nothing has changed. One of the founders recently left the company and communication is still awful, nonexistent, or outright misleading.

My first order from LRG was Shadow Complex. It took 3 weeks to get to me. Things have been a nightmare since they switched to an open preorder system. Sure, it might make securing an order easier, but at what cost?

Don’t order anything from this company. You are giving them an interest free loan while they take months or years to deliver a product. In many cases there are other outlets that sell another region version of the same game, available on or near the day of release, for less.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

hamfighterx wrote:
I wonder if some of this is also LRG being worse if you're outside of the US. Because I got Mushi (standard edition) way back in July 2022. Got my Jamestown about a month ago. Gotta Protectors in mid-February '23.
If you order anything other than the base version your wait time from LRG doubles or triples. Like ESP Galuda II, while the regular version has shipped, those with steel book versions or the higher versions are still waiting. While other companies have no problem shipping a LE and a regular version at the same time, LRG needs at least an extra 6 months to ship even a fucking steelbook version of a game.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

ExitPlanetDust wrote:Things have been a nightmare since they switched to an open preorder system. Sure, it might make securing an order easier, but at what cost?
Now I think that's crazy talk. Their limited preorders where games would often sell out in minutes, having to wait by a screen at the appointed time to have a chance to beat the rush and bots (and then still having orders take months to ship)?. No thanks to that.
Don’t order anything from this company. You are giving them an interest free loan while they take months or years to deliver a product. In many cases there are other outlets that sell another region version of the same game, available on or near the day of release, for less.
Not sure why so many people are so intent on telling others not to do something. Most people understand exactly what they're getting into when ordering from LRG: it will take many months, communication will be poor, eventually you'll get the physical game. Are ya willing to put up with that since it's often the only option to get a physical release, or not? If not, OK, don't order it.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Oh, and FWIW, just received two games I ordered from LRG in January, and one in February.

Tempest 4000 - ordered Jan 1 (the day preorders closed), got it Jun 20. ~6 months.
Powerslave Exhumed - ordered Jan 27 (not sure when it closed), got it Jun 20. ~5 months.
Steel Assault - ordered Feb 17, got it last week. ~4 months.

So they're clearly not in a position of OMG lately every game takes a year. Then again, I also have 3 preorders that closed in November 2022 (Radiant Silvergun, Konami Arcade Classics, Neo Geo Pocket Collection 2) still unfulfilled and with no idea when they'll ship, so 8+ months isn't uncommon either. Be ready for that possibility if you're gonna order from them.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Johnpv wrote: Like ESP Galuda II, while the regular version has shipped, those with steel book versions or the higher versions are still waiting.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I have two games on pre-order at LRG, and got an email this morning saying that something had shipped.

Radiant Silvergun at last???

KOTOR II for Switch...
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Sumez wrote:
Johnpv wrote: Like ESP Galuda II, while the regular version has shipped, those with steel book versions or the higher versions are still waiting.
https://limitedrungames.com/products/sw ... pgaluda-ii

You might want to contact them. Says Standard editions are shipping and I've seen people posting pictures of their copies on Twitter.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Finally got a tracking number for the regular Switch version. Happy to have it, but this will be the last time I order through them.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Yep, got a shipping notification for my Switch version as well. Honestly, it only took them 13 months. My Crimzon Clover preorder is at like 3 times that and counting.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Same. 13 months is still better than average for LRG.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

PSA for folks who bought the digital version and also have the physical incoming: LRG once again shat the bed in coordinating with the developers to ensure that the game has the same version number in the digital and physical releases. Digital is at 1.1.8, physical is 1.1.9. Putting the cart in your Switch will register that 1.1.9 is the latest version of the game. If you take the cart out and attempt to play the digital version, the Switch will attempt to update it to ver. 1.1.9, which does not currently exist for the game as purchased from the eShop. You'll be stuck in a loop where you're prompted to update the software and then will be notified that there's no update available, and the digital version will not launch. The game works fine if you play it from the cart.

This has happened with a number of other LRG releases in the past; the solution is apparently getting the devs to push an update that brings both releases of the game to the same version number. Some devs seem more responsive than others and it seems like a quick enough fix (doesn't require significant additional development), but it's still ridiculous that these issues don't get tested & addressed before copies ship out, especially given the amount of time it takes in the first place.

That aside, this physical edition was supposedly delayed so that the chiptune soundtrack could be added to the cart as well, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find it. I guess I had expected something as obvious and accessible as switching between soundtracks in M2 releases, but there's nothing in any of the options menus. Is the chiptune soundtrack some sort of unlockable or something?
jehu

Post by jehu »

The version issue is so aggravating...

The OST is easy to access, though it is somewhat counterintuitive. Select 'Arcade' or 'Story' and you'll see three options: difficulty select, chaining style select, OST select. Change the OST to 'Arrange' and you'll hear the new tunes.

I like them a lot. Surprisingly layered and very energetic. Good shit.
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

My copy is on it's way (i'm UK based, so it is taking longer).

I already have the digital version and to be honest, I originally just wanted the physical for the shelf. Annoying that the versions cause conflicts if you try to play the LRG physical whilst already having the download version installed.

Tempted now to wait to see if the digital version gets updated so I can play the physical after all, and get to hear those lovely chip tunes.

Now just waiting on my Rayz chronology from SLG! :roll:
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Warp_Rattler wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:34 pm PSA for folks who bought the digital version and also have the physical incoming: LRG once again shat the bed in coordinating with the developers to ensure that the game has the same version number in the digital and physical releases. Digital is at 1.1.8, physical is 1.1.9. Putting the cart in your Switch will register that 1.1.9 is the latest version of the game.
The LRG release being a newer version than the one currently available digitally doesn't sound like much of an issue to me, and it especially doesn't sound like LRG's fault. I'd be more disappointed with the opposite.
"Shitting the bed" is definitely an overreaction.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Sumez, it's more the fact that once you insert the physical cart, the digital copy on your Switch will no longer boot - even if you take the physical cart out again.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If you have a digital copy on your Switch, why would you use the card on that Switch in the first place?

Like I said, 1. doesn't sound like much of an issue, and 2. reads to me like the problem is with the digital copy (or the way the Switch handles patches), not the physical one.
Like Warp_Rattler said - it's just a question of the digital version being updated on the shop.

Like, would you have preferred the physical copy being of an older version than the one they already had available?
jehu

Post by jehu »

Sumez wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:17 pm If you have a digital copy on your Switch, why would you use the card on that Switch in the first place?
Exclusive OST arrange
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

But again, this is not LRG doing something wrong. They're offering the latest/best version on the cart as advertised. This is some mishap with Live Wire and Nintendo allowing versions to be out of sync. It's a QA failure as much as anything.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

jehu wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:55 pm
Sumez wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:17 pm If you have a digital copy on your Switch, why would you use the card on that Switch in the first place?
Exclusive OST arrange
So you use the card to get the updated version not available on digital, and then complain about it not being the same version as the digital? :P

I'm pretty sure most people will stick to either one version or the other, and never run into this issue.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ No, I very much intended to keep my physical copy sealed and continue to just play the digital release. The chiptunes thing came in and kinda blew that plan up, and I think others are feeling the same pain as well.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Also, I don't think selling your physical copy should lock you out of ever being able to buy and play a digital copy.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Came home to a package from Limited Run! Finally! Here it is at last...

...nope. It's a copy of Valis Collection. Which they already sent me months ago. After not shipping it for several months because the system made me pay by PayPal cheque, which they then told me nobody should ever do because it messes up everything on their back end. Unless, apparently, you want multiple copies of not terribly great games.

Better check in on the Radiant Silvergun shipment status then...

"Pre-Transit"

Aw yeah, here we go again.