Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BloodHawk

Re: Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

Post by BloodHawk »

nZero wrote:
BIL wrote:Hard to really get into IV again when it plays worse than my ancient 360 port (which requires a similarly ancient 360).
For what it's worth, Raiden IV for Xbox 360 is backwards compatible and will run happily on all varieties of Xbox One and Xbox Series S/X. It also becomes region free that way, so JP and NA/EU discs or any of the download-only versions will both work on any later Xbox.
I keep seeing Vanilla Raiden IV on the Xbox marketplace but since I already have Overkill on PC I keep passing it up. I am curious, is there any reason to pick it up outside of it being synced to 60Hz? It's $20 and since it's so old I don't foresee it being on sale anytime in the future.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

BloodHawk wrote:I keep seeing Vanilla Raiden IV on the Xbox marketplace but since I already have Overkill on PC I keep passing it up. I am curious, is there any reason to pick it up outside of it being synced to 60Hz?
Like I said in my review of Raiden IV x Mikado Remix, if there's a reason not to retire the original Raiden IV is that doesn't have the remixed opening (I prefer the original intro music than the remixed one).
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
davyK

Post by davyK »

Took delivery of this yesterday. Switch version. It patched itself on bootup.

Played it handheld first, non TATEd which is hardly optimal - there was an awful lot of slowdown in level 3. Playing it docked it isn't anywhere near as bad though. It seemed to play fine though I haven't tried level 4 yet - have read it has some in the busier sections.

Have yet to play it TATEd, handheld or docked. Will report back on that.

The soundtracks are marvellous and the collision box feature is nice but it's really only useful for seeing the one on your ship.

I read that the laser sound pre-patched was awful, it seems fine on the patched version - just as I remember it (I have the PS2 and old PC versions).

I'm not overly bothered it's somewhat compromised - I have other ports. More a collecting thing for me really.
Steven

Post by Steven »

So the performance is different between handheld and docked? That's great. Everything I read here about the Switch version makes me think that they really fucked it up somehow, which is weird because IV on Switch is arguably better than the PS4 version.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Yep - definitely plays better docked.

I've still to try it handheld in TATE.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

After waiting in delay purgatory for the PC/Steam port. It'll be out on 9/7/23. https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1 ... 8587452673
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

NeoStrayCat wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:43 am After waiting in delay purgatory for the PC/Steam port. It'll be out on 9/7/23. https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1 ... 8587452673
I'll probably "bite".

I still haven't picked up Raiden IV x MIKADO REMIX (will wait for a sale), since that one was basically the same thing as the previous version, but with new soundtrack options, but surely Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX will be a step up from the original PC version of Raiden III, which was a bit "limited". :wink:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh cool, the soundtrack is available on Steam now. The game itself isn't, though it probably will be in like 5 minutes or so.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:55 pm Oh cool, the soundtrack is available on Steam now.
And a free soundtrack sampler:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2366 ... k_Sampler/

There was one as well for Raiden IV x MIKADO remix:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2185 ... k_Sampler/
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's up now. 10% off. It's past 0200 here now, so I'm not going to buy it or play it yet. I'd rather sleep instead.
Steven

Post by Steven »

There is now a bundle with game and soundtrack that is 15% off. That wasn't there when I went to sleep, so I am glad that I waited.

Holy crap bad screen tearing. Didn't turn on my FPS counter, but it plays very nicely. I forgot that this is the game with the weird Vampire Killer ripoff thing on stage 2.

Does the weird floppy green laser do anything besides be bad and get you killed? I'm guessing it doesn't.
Steven

Post by Steven »

So there really isn't a way to play this on 2P side, is there? It also seems that there are no training options, unless I am missing something or haven't unlocked it yet. Kind of disappointed by the lack of a training mode, especially because there aren't any save states or anything like that.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It also seems that there are no training options, unless I am missing something or haven't unlocked it yet.
Bingo.

Why not try credit-feeding through the game first?

You unlock stage and boss practice. It's not the most comprehensive but it's something.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrMatta

Post by DrMatta »

The only thing I hope comes out of this a re-release of Raiden Fighter Aces. Raiden Fighter Aces was region-locked for Europe and there only is a poirly emulated Dot-Emu version, which is borderline unplayable.

I've been waiting for this since 2009, even have the retail disc (which I can't play), it's been removed from the marketplace and it's not backwards compatible.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

DrMatta wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:25 am The only thing I hope comes out of this a re-release of Raiden Fighter Aces. Raiden Fighter Aces was region-locked for Europe and there only is a poirly emulated Dot-Emu version, which is borderline unplayable.

I've been waiting for this since 2009, even have the retail disc (which I can't play), it's been removed from the marketplace and it's not backwards compatible.
I would love that as well, but also just get a 360? They’re dirt cheap. You could be playing that disc for about the same price you’d pay for a new port to a modern console.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
DrMatta

Post by DrMatta »

Jonpachi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:53 pm
DrMatta wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:25 am The only thing I hope comes out of this a re-release of Raiden Fighter Aces. Raiden Fighter Aces was region-locked for Europe and there only is a poirly emulated Dot-Emu version, which is borderline unplayable.

I would love that as well, but also just get a 360? They’re dirt cheap. You could be playing that disc for about the same price you’d pay for a new port to a modern console.
I live in Europe, so importing one with shipping and import costs will still set me back 150 bucks. Initially I didn't know it was region-locked, just imported it straight away.

Thought about an NTSC 360 a few times but always decided against it. A lot of shmups like Akai Katana, Deathsmiles, etc are RF so it's just out of principle annoyance i guess.

Anyway, i can technically play RFA on MAME, which i do sometimes. Would just be nice to have it drop digitally.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

It looks like Raiden Fighters Aces runs in Xenia ok now-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZqs8k8wZI

I haven't tried it myself yet though.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

DrMatta wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:02 pm
Jonpachi wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:53 pm

I live in Europe, so importing one with shipping and import costs will still set me back 150 bucks. Initially I didn't know it was region-locked, just imported it straight away.

Thought about an NTSC 360 a few times but always decided against it. A lot of shmups like Akai Katana, Deathsmiles, etc are RF so it's just out of principle annoyance i guess.

Anyway, i can technically play RFA on MAME, which i do sometimes. Would just be nice to have it drop digitally.
IMO the best way to play Raider Fighter Aces 1&2 plus Jet are with FinalBurn Neo on Retroarch. Perfect emulation and fully adjustable input lag with Retroarch's "Run Ahead" ability. I much prefer this over every single alternative.

P.S.> You will need to use non-mame roms compatible with FB Neo.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Received the Switch version. Feels responsive but it has some noticable slowdowns. This wasnt the case in Raiden IV... What happend there :/
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Has anyone been getting bad screen-tearing on the PC version of this? My monitor is set to 60hz and the game is running at a solid 60fps, but I get tearing with or without vsync (or Radeon's 'Enhanced Sync') enabled. In fact, the game's overall performance seems worse with vsync on, as it starts stuttering and skipping what feel like whole seconds of gameplay, as if I'm playing an online FG with abysmal netcode.

(I have this on PS4 so it's not a huge problem, but I seem to get tearing that I can't iron out on a lot of PC games...)

Edit: sorry, just saw Steven had mentioned the same thing. Is this still an issue for you? Cheers!
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Klatrymadon wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:13 am Has anyone been getting bad screen-tearing on the PC version of this? My monitor is set to 60hz and the game is running at a solid 60fps, but I get tearing with or without vsync (or Radeon's 'Enhanced Sync') enabled. In fact, the game's overall performance seems worse with vsync on, as it starts stuttering and skipping what feel like whole seconds of gameplay, as if I'm playing an online FG with abysmal netcode.

(I have this on PS4 so it's not a huge problem, but I seem to get tearing that I can't iron out on a lot of PC games...)

Edit: sorry, just saw Steven had mentioned the same thing. Is this still an issue for you? Cheers!
Strange. I'm playing on 144hz with g-sync enabled and have no tearing. Vsync on or off it makes no difference.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Oh, I'm sure your setup is easily masking any potential tearing! Sounds ace. My current monitor tops out at 60hz. I'm not sure why I get such pronounced tearing on so many games when both monitor and game are supposedly locked at 60. Maybe it's just time to invest in a freesync/gsync monitor, heh.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Don't III and IV both run at something stupid like 57Hz (native?) on PC? That's screen tearing if you don't have VSync on and weird frame pacing/stuttering a la Sega Rally Revo if you do. Meh.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

-Fish- wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:32 pm I'm playing on 144hz with g-sync enabled and have no tearing. Vsync on or off it makes no difference.
That means your g-sync is working. No need to turn on v-sync.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

sunnshiner wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:50 am Don't III and IV both run at something stupid like 57Hz (native?) on PC? That's screen tearing if you don't have VSync on and weird frame pacing/stuttering a la Sega Rally Revo if you do. Meh.
I'm under the impression that they should run at 60Hz since they were on PC based AC hardware.
Steven

Post by Steven »

IV x Mikado runs at 57Hz on PC and most likely PS4 because they seem to have fucked up both of those versions. Switch is fine, though. For once the Switch version is better than the PS4 version if you are okay with long loading times and that weird audio glitch with the stage 1 boss that only happens for like 5 seconds. I haven't done framerate tests on III x Mikado yet. At least, I don't remember having done it yet. Maybe I did, but I forgot if I posted about it or not.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

BrianC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:14 pm
sunnshiner wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:50 am Don't III and IV both run at something stupid like 57Hz (native?) on PC? That's screen tearing if you don't have VSync on and weird frame pacing/stuttering a la Sega Rally Revo if you do. Meh.
I'm under the impression that they should run at 60Hz since they were on PC based AC hardware.
They should, yes, but they don't. PS3 and XB360 versions of Raiden IV both run at 60Hz, PC is is 57Hz for whatever godforsaken reason and I suspect Mikado III is the same :roll:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, IV is stuttery on both PC and PS4 for me, but III is actually perfectly fine on PS4, presumably because it's running at 60hz and has forced vsync etc.

(Vanilla IV and Overkill have always been great across all platforms - I assume those are fixed at 60 too.)
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Raiden III X Mikado ran at 60 Hz last I played. The old Raiden IV runs at 60 for me, but I don't plan to get the Mikado version for Steam.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Steven wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:25 am IV x Mikado runs at 57Hz on PC and most likely PS4 because they seem to have fucked up both of those versions. Switch is fine, though. For once the Switch version is better than the PS4 version if you are okay with long loading times and that weird audio glitch with the stage 1 boss that only happens for like 5 seconds. I haven't done framerate tests on III x Mikado yet. At least, I don't remember having done it yet. Maybe I did, but I forgot if I posted about it or not.
Whats that glitch? never experienced something on my ~60 hours of RIV on Switch. But as I posted earlier, RIII has some significant slowdown on my Switch version but I dont know if this is the way the game should run but its irritation for me :/