Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Klatrymadon

Re: Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

Post by Klatrymadon »

Sorry to have turned this into a dull tech-issues thread, but this is almost certainly my problem, apart from all the screen-tearing:

https://x.com/JaimersSTG/status/1713542 ... 92371?s=20

During sections with lots of zako or asteroids the game becomes almost unplayable. Someone suggests resetting the achievement that Jaimers believes is triggering it, but the attempt keeps failing for me.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Considering the port was already complete albeit slightly older, I'm really disappointed by the number of technical and performance issues and bugs like this. On top of that, it requires DX12. Why? The original was like DX9 or something. And they pulled the old version off digital stores. Not that it wasn't cheap and available for years, but yeah, that kinda sucks.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Angry Hina wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:27 am
Steven wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:25 am IV x Mikado runs at 57Hz on PC and most likely PS4 because they seem to have fucked up both of those versions. Switch is fine, though. For once the Switch version is better than the PS4 version if you are okay with long loading times and that weird audio glitch with the stage 1 boss that only happens for like 5 seconds. I haven't done framerate tests on III x Mikado yet. At least, I don't remember having done it yet. Maybe I did, but I forgot if I posted about it or not.
Whats that glitch? never experienced something on my ~60 hours of RIV on Switch. But as I posted earlier, RIII has some significant slowdown on my Switch version but I dont know if this is the way the game should run but its irritation for me :/
I'll go record it when I get a chance. It's going to be of terrible quality because lol Switch internal recording thing, but it's very apparent that they broke the audio, especially because it's fine on PC and PS4.
Klatrymadon wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:54 am Sorry to have turned this into a dull tech-issues thread, but this is almost certainly my problem, apart from all the screen-tearing:

https://x.com/JaimersSTG/status/1713542 ... 92371?s=20

During sections with lots of zako or asteroids the game becomes almost unplayable. Someone suggests resetting the achievement that Jaimers believes is triggering it, but the attempt keeps failing for me.
Uh

What is going on with MOSS/NISA? It's like every version of Raiden IV x Mikado and half of the versions of Raiden III x Mikado have some strange problem that absolutely shouldn't be there. To summarize, we have

IV x Mikado
PC: wrong framerate and stuttering
PS4: wrong framerate and stuttering
PS5: over twice the input lag of PS4 for some reason
Switch: minor audio problems
Xbox: ??? (does anyone actually have this version?)

III x Mikado
PC: screen tearing and now this flash shot glitch
Switch: slowdown, I guess
PS4: ???
PS5: ???
Xbox: ???

I always forget Xbox (the system itself) even exists...
Steven

Post by Steven »

Angry Hina wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:27 am
Steven wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:25 am IV x Mikado runs at 57Hz on PC and most likely PS4 because they seem to have fucked up both of those versions. Switch is fine, though. For once the Switch version is better than the PS4 version if you are okay with long loading times and that weird audio glitch with the stage 1 boss that only happens for like 5 seconds. I haven't done framerate tests on III x Mikado yet. At least, I don't remember having done it yet. Maybe I did, but I forgot if I posted about it or not.
Whats that glitch? never experienced something on my ~60 hours of RIV on Switch. But as I posted earlier, RIII has some significant slowdown on my Switch version but I dont know if this is the way the game should run but its irritation for me :/
Here you go
Switch audio: https://youtu.be/scHlIUnBk_w
PC audio: https://youtu.be/IeLvGPEUJr0

BTW since Youtube is being stupid now, I am probably going to put all of my replays or whatever elsewhere. I am considering Nico Nico Douga (apparently it's not called Nico Nico Douga anymore, but it will always be that to me ♥) because why not and because I already have an account, but if anyone has a better idea, let me know.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:36 amWhat is going on with MOSS/NISA? It's like every version of Raiden IV x Mikado and half of the versions of Raiden III x Mikado have some strange problem that absolutely shouldn't be there. To summarize, we have
My thoughts exactly... it's a shame these two ports' quality control is so wildly scattershot. The games are great, but god damn, hard to recommend without a boatload of caveats.
IV x Mikado
PC: wrong framerate and stuttering
PS4: wrong framerate and stuttering
PS5: over twice the input lag of PS4 for some reason
Switch: minor audio problems
Xbox: ??? (does anyone actually have this version?)
I think the PS4 version just has the usual ~1hz chop that results from conversion to 60hz display. It's irksome, as ever - even moreso when the Type X original is apparently 60hz to begin with! But it's as consistent as you'd expect from M2 or Hamster. Likewise, I forget it's there once the game gets going. Haven't noticed any stuttering or excess slowdown.

PS4 III x Mikado seems perfect; it appears to run at the same rock-solid 60hz of stuff like Ikaruga and Caladrius, and I've not noticed any stuttering nor excess slowdown. Which is great, but really makes me wish they'd patch up IV. (it'd be a great excuse to update it to III's killer custom BGM features)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Steven wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:36 am
III x Mikado
PC: screen tearing and now this flash shot glitch
PC version also has odd resolution modes and no exclusive full screen. I forgot to close the pop-up menu on the desktop and it stayed open in full screen mode.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Here you go
Switch audio: https://youtu.be/scHlIUnBk_w
Intersting. I never experienced it 0.o
Steven

Post by Steven »

It seems that there is no point in buying the soundtrack for this game on Steam unless you want to waste money.

I was checking the Steam forums to see about Steam Deck compatibility for this game and someone mentioned that the entire soundtrack is in .wav files in the installation directory, so I checked and there it was. 44 tracks were in the directory, which is odd because the OST that you can buy only has 36 tracks.

I also seem to be unaffected by the flash shot glitch, both on my regular PC and on Steam Deck; turns out that I've had the flash shot achievement since launch day. Weird that only some people are affected by it, but I am assuming that MOSS didn't fix it yet even though they should.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Steam knocked a few pounds off this so I bit...

(quad dip - PS2,original PC, Switch).

The Switch version's slowdown had me eyeing this for a while as I fancied having a modern version on PC.

What a mess - stuttering madness right from the off. No sign of it being addressed in the steam forums.

Refunded. What a pity. What is it with this game? Raiden IV is fine. I presume it must have originally run on a weird hardware platform?
Arino

Post by Arino »

Have those issues ever been fixed? Got both games on PS4 but haven't played them yet.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Both of the Raiden x Mikado games probably have something wrong with them on every system except maybe Xbox because nobody plays on Xbox so nobody knows if they are fucked up there or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. I think it's pretty obvious that MOSS doesn't care.

I find that PC III x Mikado is fine aside from the weird screen tearing, but others probably still have the flash shot achievement glitch.
Arino

Post by Arino »

I mean if it wasn't for the music there is always Raiden 3 on PC (no interlaced as on PS2) and Raiden 4 on ... so many platforms. But one reason why I was actually gonna play the latest release of 3 again is that I was told this is the only version where the hitbox of the ship was fixed (previously it was larger than it was intended to be or something). I don't know how neglectable this aspect is though. It's a shame they don't care about what matters because those purchases are useless to me if they are no improvements or even downgrades. They both came in pretty boxes but I don't really care about those. :(
BIL

Post by BIL »

Status quo seems unchanged from my last post. PS4 Raiden III Mikado seems absolutely perfect. Suspiciously perfect, even, given the fuckery people mention elsewhere. No idea what happened there.

PS4 Raiden IV Mikado would be perfect, except for an annoying ~1hz frame stutter. This is to be expected in accurate ports of sub-60hz PCBs... but AFAIK, Raiden IV was never one of those games.

Interestingly, when I got a PS5 recently, it asked if I wanted to install the PS5 versions of Raiden IV and Ridge Racer 2. (another irritating stutterer; right from the scrolling tickertape text at the bottom of the menu, it's blindingly obvious) Sure, fuck it, why not, I thought.

Turns out both run smooth as silk. I know PS5 Raiden IV is said to have more input latency, but it feels more than acceptable to me. I'll probably play that version when I get around to it. So that's odd. -_-
davyK wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 amRefunded. What a pity. What is it with this game? Raiden IV is fine. I presume it must have originally run on a weird hardware platform?
That's the real pisser, haha. Taito Type X is, IIRC, a PC in a cab. The old PS2 and PC ports of III didn't have these irritating sync issues back in the day, nor did the XB360 port of IV.

It's almost like they deliberately screwed the refresh rate down to sub-60hz for old times' sake... but then, the PS4 and PS5 versions of III and IV, respectively, don't stutter at all.

Just disappointing, especially with two esteemed names attached.
Arino

Post by Arino »

BIL wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 pm Status quo seems unchanged from my last post. PS4 Raiden III Mikado seems absolutely perfect. Suspiciously perfect, even, given the fuckery people mention elsewhere. No idea what happened there.

PS4 Raiden IV Mikado would be perfect, except for an annoying ~1hz frame stutter. This is to be expected in accurate ports of sub-60hz PCBs... but AFAIK, Raiden IV was never one of those games.

Interestingly, when I got a PS5 recently, it asked if I wanted to install the PS5 versions of Raiden IV and Ridge Racer 2. (another irritating stutterer; right from the scrolling tickertape text at the bottom of the menu, it's blindingly obvious) Sure, fuck it, why not, I thought.

Turns out both run smooth as silk. I know PS5 Raiden IV is said to have more input latency, but it feels more than acceptable to me. I'll probably play that version when I get around to it. So that's odd. -_-
davyK wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 amRefunded. What a pity. What is it with this game? Raiden IV is fine. I presume it must have originally run on a weird hardware platform?
That's the real pisser, haha. Taito Type X is, IIRC, a PC in a cab. The old PS2 and PC ports of III didn't have these irritating sync issues back in the day, nor did the XB360 port of IV.

It's almost like they deliberately screwed the refresh rate down to sub-60hz for old times' sake... but then, the PS4 and PS5 versions of III and IV, respectively, don't stutter at all.

Just disappointing, especially with two esteemed names attached.
I never understood why it seems to be so difficult to port games to another system which run on e.g. 57 Hz on their original hardware. There are lots of them. What about Raiden Fighters? In the Xbox 360 version you can set it to 57 Hz in the options but does that make it run the same way as the arcade version does?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It didn't solve the issue for me but FWIW a few others have reported that the Flash Shot stuttering issue was fixed by simply disabling the Steam Overlay. (I had it disabled already.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Arino wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:17 pmI never understood why it seems to be so difficult to port games to another system which run on e.g. 57 Hz on their original hardware. There are lots of them. What about Raiden Fighters? In the Xbox 360 version you can set it to 57 Hz in the options but does that make it run the same way as the arcade version does?
It's just an unfortunate situation, with all consoles until very recently lacking VRR support. Raiden Fighters Aces has the best possible approach to an innately bad deal, letting you choose from forced 60hz (smooth, but of course tougher), blended (creates a ghosting effect), or Seibu SPI-accurate (the usual metronomic ~1hz chop you'll see in any number of ShotTriggers and ACA ports).

Several ACA titles, too, let you choose between 60hz and board-accurate refresh. I wish it was standard across the line. There's plenty of ~58hz titles I don't find any tougher at 60hz.

I heard Mihara recently advised Hamster to just run TGM2 at 60hz, when they were considering the board-accurate refresh of ~61hz. I'm glad he did, tbh. This is one of those things where I'm happy to sacrifice an iota of accuracy for a more aesthetically/tactilely pleasing game. I have to think anyone who can dominate TGM2 at 60hz will be more than capable of doing the same at 61hz, and will likely seek out a board to do so.

What's odd here is, several sources claim the arcade versions of Raiden III and Raiden IV run at a flat 60hz anyway. So it's all rather bizarre they'd have such scattershot performance, ported to a range of 60hz platforms. :/
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Doubled dip Raiden 3 on Series X and yeah it runs much, much better than on Switch. Also looks sharper.