Raiden IV x Mikado Remix coming to Switch on April 22, 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Raiden IV x Mikado Remix coming to Switch on April 22, 2

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:Raiden DX has fucking amazing music. I made sure to play it at Taito Hey when I was there 2 days ago for that exact reason; I just wanted to hear Gallantry. I am pretty sure Go did the arranged versions on DX, but I will go ask him tomorrow. Want me to say anything to him for you?
re: DX's arrangement, that would be very interesting to learn! tbh, if you'd just let him know this little community has always had a diehard Raiden+Seibu fanbase, I'd appreciate it. :mrgreen:
Steven

Post by Steven »

I can do that no problem. I should probably go play some Raiden IV so I can actually talk about Raiden with him this time lol. I got both my PS4 and Switch copies signed by him and the owner of Mikado last time, but I hadn't played it in like 8 months, so I felt kind of bad.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Message delivered, and Sato-san sends his thanks. He did confirm he is the one who did the arranged versions for arcade Raiden DX, too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Many thanks, for both ^__^
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Is the Mikado version of this slightly more difficult than the vanilla 360 and PS3/PC Overkill versions? I seem to be shitter at the Mikado version than I usually am :lol: Also, I've just noticed that pc Overkill runs smoother (less stuttery) than pc Mikado (played on my 'nice' pc) :?
davyK

Post by davyK »

Had a first "proper" go at this tonight. Jeez it's tough. The level 3 wall is harder than any I've ever hit, Futari included. The 2nd half of that level is bonkers - bullet colour doesn't help either!

I mean, I know Raiden is a tough old boy, I had to go to easy to 1CC Raiden III, but this is a step up. Feels tougher than V.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Luckily it has many difficulty settings to smoothly get to the Original/Original setting.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Angry Hina wrote:Luckily it has many difficulty settings to smoothly get to the Original/Original setting.

yeah - I stayed on Normal and even tried Light Arcade mode. :)

Think I need to crank it down a bit.

Just watched a video of someone clearing level 3 in double mode, making it look easy!!
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Would be great, if the M2 Toaplan ports had a useful easier setting to get into the game and not just this cakewalk supereasy mode which surely is not achievement to 1cc it. Dont know, why thes do this. Some Cave games have this braindead novice modes as well.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

you can accomplish something of the sort with custom mode in the M2 ports. it's not as easily facilitated as raiden iv's honestly a little confusing wide array of difficulty settings, but you can certainly make in-betweens of arcade and super easy.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Most cave game novice modes have been too easy.....mushi, futari and dfk are all too easy. If futari's auto bomb was selectable it would have provided a good stepping stone to normal/v1.5 but it's always on.

The sdoj novice mode is no walkover though....its more like a proper learning mode.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

At least SDOJ is excellent
evil_ash_xero

Re: Raiden IV x Mikado Remix coming to Switch on April 22, 2021

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have this on PS4. Is there any downside to this port? Like lag, especially.
The PS4 one, in particular, as I know the Switch always has a little more lag.

I was thinking about getting rid of my 360 one and getting the physical copy of RIV MR. But I don't want to if the 360 version is superior in some way.
BIL

Post by BIL »

evil_ash_xero wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:28 pmI was thinking about getting rid of my 360 one and getting the physical copy of RIV MR. But I don't want to if the 360 version is superior in some way.
I don't tend to get rid of games, but in this case I definitely won't be parting with the 360 rev.

The PS4 one behaves like a port of a non-60hz arcade game. That is, there's the usual ~1hz chop you'd expect from even the best work, ala M2 and Hamster. It's metronomically consistent, easily unseen, and you'll get yourself killed if you stop paying attention to focus on it. But given the Type X arcade version is apparently 60hz, and the 360 port is perfectly smooth, it's something of a disproportionately big boner.

Other than that, no issues I'm aware of. Lots of extra content (this is based on the Overkill revision), input response is sharp, if I didn't know better and this was a port of a ~55hz game I'd have no complaints.

Will eat hat if it turns out, ala Ketsui 360 vs PS4, the later rev is actually running at correct AC speed. :lol:
Last edited by BIL on Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:14 pmI don't tend to get rid of games, but in this case I definitely won't be parting with the 360 rev.
Another nice bonus of the 360 is the easily accessible VGA out. Raiden IV looks great on any old PC CRT. The perfect motion clarity is especially nice on any game with fast bullets.

Oddly enough a game that had a similar issue with stutter was MarioKart 8. While fixed on the Switch rev it had a persistent hitch as if it ran at 59hz when it came out on WiiU. Just goes to show how common these weird frame pacing things can be. But yeah the 360 version of Raiden IV was nothing but silky smooth from what I could see.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

BIL wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:14 pm
evil_ash_xero wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:28 pmI was thinking about getting rid of my 360 one and getting the physical copy of RIV MR. But I don't want to if the 360 version is superior in some way.
I don't tend to get rid of games, but in this case I definitely won't be parting with the 360 rev.

The PS4 one behaves like a port of a non-60hz arcade game. That is, there's the usual ~1hz chop you'd expect from even the best work, ala M2 and Hamster. It's metronomically consistent, easily unseen, and you'll get yourself killed if you stop paying attention to focus on it. But given the Type X arcade version is apparently 60hz, and the 360 port is perfectly smooth, it's something of a disproportionately big boner.

Other than that, no issues I'm aware of. Lots of extra content (this is based on the Overkill revision), input response is sharp, if I didn't know better and this was a port of a ~55hz game I'd have no complaints.

Will eat hat if it turns out, ala Ketsui 360 vs PS4, the later rev is actually running at correct AC speed. :lol:
Thanks for letting me know that. I'll keep the 360 one, then.