Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Arthandas

Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

Post by Arthandas »

Does this pack include the voice acting dlc from Xbox 360?
Was the Gothic wa Matou dlc ever present in Deathsmiles or is it a new content made specifically for this release?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Arthandas wrote:Does this pack include the voice acting dlc from Xbox 360?
Yep!
Arthandas wrote:Was the Gothic wa Matou dlc ever present in Deathsmiles or is it a new content made specifically for this release?
Nope! Brand new for this release.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Jonpachi wrote:
Yep!
Are you sure? I checked some youtube vids and none of them has voice acting in cutscenes, just pure text.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

guigui wrote:I just got my shipment notice for Switch Collector Edition of DS I-II.
Lucky. It's 12 days since you posted and my PS4 collector's edition still says "unfulfilled." Guess we know which console SLG prioritizes.
guigui

Post by guigui »

prophetic wrote:
guigui wrote:I just got my shipment notice for Switch Collector Edition of DS I-II.
Lucky. It's 12 days since you posted and my PS4 collector's edition still says "unfulfilled." Guess we know which console SLG prioritizes.
Sorry to hear that. Switch version arrived quickly, has travelled within Europe only.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Arthandas wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:
Yep!
Are you sure? I checked some youtube vids and none of them has voice acting in cutscenes, just pure text.
From what I'm assuming, its for the original DeathSmiles, that had actual voices during cutscenes (and maybe during in-game, similar to Akai Katana?), if anything, no. not even both the PC versions of the stand alone and the 2 pack of DS 1 and 2 include the original game's voice's in cutscenes. That's still only a JP X360 version DLC. (Which to I assume was a first print only thing, or the only way to get that now, is to get/have the DLC install disc from the CAVE Shooting Collection.)

DeathSmiles 2 always had voice acting in cutscenes though. (Except in "Arcade" mode.)

Now I'm also concerned if Akai Katana for the current gen version won't include the additional voices during gameplay, as that too was a first print DLC for the JP Xbox 360 version (or also available on the same DLC install disc from the CSG.) Although the Nesica "Shin" arcade version includes that from the get-go, not sure about the Exa version if it includes the additional voices.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

That's what I thought. It's such a stupid decision to have it as a first print bonus and never release it again - not even as a paid DLC.
And it had to be a very small print, I checked some Japanese playthroughs on YouTube and I'm yet to find one with the voices. I'm starting to think this dlc is a hoax ;)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ok, my bad. I was under the impression they were straight ports of the originals and had all the DLC (MBL and such) that you'd find there. I have a first-print LE 360 copy in storage. If I can someday unearth it I'll give it a listen, but I can't recall there being a DLC code now that I think of it.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Jonpachi wrote:I have a first-print LE 360 copy in storage. If I can someday unearth it I'll give it a listen, but I can't recall there being a DLC code now that I think of it.
Unless it's a Japanese version you won't have it. If it is though, please submit a clip of the voice acting, just to prove it actually exist :)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yeah it's the Japanese one. Came in the big box with the more risque cover art. It was the reason I bought a 360 way back, so I know I had it on day 1.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Jonpachi wrote:Yeah it's the Japanese one. Came in the big box with the more risque cover art. It was the reason I bought a 360 way back, so I know I had it on day 1.
Oh man, you need to record some gameplay :D
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

I got an official confirmation the voice acting dlc in not included.
Spoiler
I also asked if there's any chance of getting it in, even as a paid dlc, I'll update this post if I get a response.

By the way, there's a list of major changes compared to the previous D1 port which I don't think was posted here before:
■ Readjustment of slowdown (behavior closer to the PCB than the Xbox360 version)/Slow down in MBL1.1
■ Relative position of familiar, saving of laser firing angle of follet familiar between stages, reproduction of tutorial bug in Arcade mode, etc. Game logic is brought closer to the PCB
■ MBL Training Menu Expansion-Reproduces the amount of counter reduction after selecting Rank 3.
■ Expanded replay data slots to 50
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Aye, but yeah, this is now concerning that someone from City Connection at least answered. (This makes me woe for Akai Katana's release with the additional voices in-game. >.>)

Also, there are some differences too via DS2X in the current gen port, and its worse for the wear if one that used to play the X360 version.
-No Tsukaima (Familiar) Race mini game. (I have the 2 pack on Xbox and its not there, and its more likely the same on other current gen versions.)
-Achievements could be earned in DS2X even if the game settings were changed, not anymore in the current gen version as they have to be on default settings. (Would probably make sense, since it has DS1, and those achievements also had to be unlocked in default game settings.)
Last edited by NeoStrayCat on Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

Wow, that's really disappointing. What's the point of re-releasing those games if you're not even including the previously released content.
I presume the voice acting dlc maybe has some licensing problems but why remove the mini game?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Arthandas wrote:Wow, that's really disappointing. What's the point of re-releasing those games if you're not even including the previously released content.
I presume the voice acting DLC maybe has some licensing problems but why remove the mini game?
I'm not so sure, but not including "first print only (or pre-order) DLC" for a previous gen version, especially one where it included it before, its a massive kick in the balls. Also, yeah, I checked and DS2X has the option to either turn on or off the voices in the DS2X and Arrange modes. (Arcade mode excluded, as the original arcade game never had voices in it up until the console port.)

But yeah, I dunno if it is a licensing issue or not to include the in-game voices for DS1, especially when they had it before. But yeah, CAVE X360 titles had a couple of first print only DLC that never became publicly available to purchase over the Xbox store, and that you had to pre-order the game(s) physically to exclusively get those. (Or have them installed via the CSC's install disc and possibly transfer them via flash drive storage these days, lol.)
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

NeoStrayCat wrote:(Or have them installed via the CSC's install disc and possibly transfer them via flash drive storage these days, lol.)
That's what I did, lol. Got the hookup with the DLC disc from a true bro. And I did a backup to a USB drive.
Arthandas

Post by Arthandas »

I'm surprised no one modded them back in yet.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Like I planned it since about a year, Ive played Deathsmiles II in the last christmas time but I was a bit disappointed that the christmas thing is not that present in most parts of the game compared to the halloween thingy in the first game. But the first 1cc was fun anyway. Will dive deeper later this year.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I still haven't decided if I should get deathsmiles for Switch. The simple reason for this is that I played X360 version *A LOT* 10 years ago or so, almost to a point of disgust.

I'm sure all the answers are hidden in this thread, but I'm short on time, so would someone please entertain me with a short version: is the switch version in any way worth buying if you own the x360 version already? Someone posted above some mentions about more accurate emulation? How about lag? And apologies if these questions have been asked already in this thread.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I wouldn't trust Xbox 360 hardware over the long term at all after having gone through five of them due to the red ring of death issue.

Any other hardware, including the Switch, is safer.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

MJR wrote:I'm sure all the answers are hidden in this thread, but I'm short on time, so would someone please entertain me with a short version: is the switch version in any way worth buying if you own the x360 version already? Someone posted above some mentions about more accurate emulation? How about lag? And apologies if these questions have been asked already in this thread.
Five new guest characters from Gaomatsu are available as DLC for Deathsmiles 1. Whether that's worth it is up to you, but from the videos I've seen seems like they're well done.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, besides the DLC characters for the first game, as mentioned, the only decent addition, at least, is that DS2 now has an English translation (and 4 other language text translations, including JP), which didn't have it before. (Since the only worldwide release at the time was the digital untranslated version of the X360 port of DS2.)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

The new characters are fun for a DS super-fan, but nothing really game-changing. I'm not mad I spent the $20 on them, but they all feel like light variants of what you already know (which they are).

If you have the 360 version, you're pretty much good. You'll get an extra frame of lag on the Switch over the 360 one, but it's hardly an issue with this game.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I have the PS4 LE that came with the DLC characters which I just got late last year, as that version was still available and heavily discounted while the regular edition had sold out and was going to cost me as much than the LE did.

Even with that, personally the DLC characters were a waste and I wish I had given the code to someone else who only has the base game who might have enjoyed them.

I don't think they're well thought out for this game, with firing patterns that don't seem well suited. Graphically, they look bad and don't seem to fit as the prerendering style is different. I also did not care for the alternate soundtracks.

----
TL;DR I didn't like any of the DLC content and will never ever use it when playing. I won't even install it next time I install the game.