I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SavagePencil

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by SavagePencil »

AGermanArtist wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:41 am
Marc wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:35 pm https://theotakuauthority.com/arcade-ar ... 6WRayOYwP0

FC Super Xevious next week. Nah.
AGermanArtist wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am My guess

Super Xevious
Dirt Fox
Galaxian 3
Nebulas Ray or possibly Fighter/Attacker first?
One correct so far! Hard pass, though.
Hey, I am calling BS that you expected the Famicom Super Xevious to be part of this :D . Heck, I didn't even know they did a VS version of it. I think we all could've seen the arcade version of Super Xevious, which I'm kinda surprised hasn't shown up.
BIL

Post by BIL »

hamfighterx wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:56 pm
BIL wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:17 pmVolfied's amazin. :shock: I kinda slept on it getting title billing for March, and figured Surprise Attack would thoroughly eclipse it. Still more jazzed about SA on sheer unexpectedness, and it's no slouch either, but goddamn, got a new appreciation for this one. Fiendish. :o
I did not realize until this week that Volfied got a PS1 release, due to the weird naming in all regions. Japan release was in D2's Simple 1500 series and was called "Simple 1500 Series Vol.080 - The Jintori", with Volfied noted in katakana only. And then it actually did get a North America release, which I don't think I've ever seen, where they renamed it "Qix Neo". Maybe common knowledge, but if anyone else was as clueless as me, there ya go!
I do remember hearing about that from CIT, back in the day - might've encountered for sale at some point, actually... I wonder if it came about similarly to their Simple release of Taito's "THE R.C. CAR," aka RC De Go? And now I remember this, they re-released RayStorm & RayCrisis as a double pack too, IIRC. Interesting publisher, D3...

Didn't know it'd been officially rebranded a Qix sequel at some point, that's pretty amusing. :mrgreen: Actually makes me wonder why they didn't go with a title tie-in from the start, not that Volfied isn't a rad name.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Megadrive version of Volfied has a Q mode (which was renamed in the US "Ultimate Qix" version) with no power ups and fast and slow speeds (if I remember correctly).
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:18 am The Megadrive version of Volfied has a Q mode (which was renamed in the US "Ultimate Qix" version) with no power ups and fast and slow speeds (if I remember correctly).
Yeah, I was surprised to learn the MD port got an NTSCU release under the Qix name, too! I always forget that Qix itself was a Taito America-published title (pretty interesting backstory... I wonder if the developers shopped it around a bit, or if they were already employed by Taito in some capacity).

Interesting case of reverse-import rebranding, with Volfied seemingly never making it to the US under its own name back in the day.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:47 pm Interesting case of reverse-import rebranding, with Volfied seemingly never making it to the US under its own name back in the day.
Aside from the actual arcade version, which did make it here. Similar weirdness with Flipull (renamed to Plotting in the US, but kept JP name for GB port) and New Zealand Story (renamed to Kiwi Kraze for the US NES version, despite appearing in US arcades under its original name).
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:52 pm
BIL wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:47 pm Interesting case of reverse-import rebranding, with Volfied seemingly never making it to the US under its own name back in the day.
Aside from the actual arcade version, which did make it here.
Aha! I was wondering about that - the ACA release includes Old and New revisions, with a note that the charmingly Engrished opening text was re-written for the latter. I wonder if that's the US/World/Int version, for all intents and purposes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There was also a Qix sequel named Super Qix. Apparently developed by Kaneko? Might be part of the reason they started making their own Qix style games.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BrianC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:52 pm Aside from the actual arcade version, which did make it here. Similar weirdness with Flipull (renamed to Plotting in the US, but kept JP name for GB port) and New Zealand Story (renamed to Kiwi Kraze for the US NES version, despite appearing in US arcades under its original name).
TNZS is interesting. I learned only recently that the game is virtually unknown in the US, with "Kiwi Kraze" mostly being considered a bit of a hidden gem on NES or something. The port is made by Software Creations (UK) btw, and IMO it's honestly one of the best arcade ports on NES.
In Europe, or at least my parts of Europe, the game is widely considered a nostalgic classic for a lot of people, including many who aren't really too big into video games. It's just a game that most people at least knows, kinda similar to Bubble Bobble.
A part of that is probably thanks to the Amiga port, but I'm pretty sure it's generally recognized as an arcade game. I wasn't even aware of a NES port as a kid though.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm not even sure it was unknown in the US. It didn't seem uncommon in arcades and it was a game that had me wanting to keep coming back to it. Which is why the NES name change perplexes me.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

I hope that Assault Plus is one of the upcoming Namco releases.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I somehow get the feeling that BIL, in turn, is hoping most for F/A. Expect a Toll Hammer or three from him if it appears this month.

(Toll Hammer = “OHHHH, it’s beautiful!” bomb from Thunder Dragon 2)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skyknight wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 pm(Toll Hammer = “OHHHH, it’s beautiful!” bomb from Thunder Dragon 2)
Dear God, that is a biblically hilarious name Image Definitely adopting it. :cool: TD2 is such an inexhaustible source of good cheer. :mrgreen:
Atariboy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:51 pm I hope that Assault Plus is one of the upcoming Namco releases.
I'd be down for sure! The PS1 port still has an edge on the otherwise-definitive ACA one, with its inclusion of Plus.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Arcade Archives Namco Bird.

Super Xevious' screenshots.
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202404100034/
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I've got Xevious, is there any reason to get this?
BIL

Post by BIL »

As far as I've ever discerned, it's some kind of mongled Xevious sequel for Famicom, where you rub the ship on the magic pixel to advance the screen.

I always went "what's the point, you rub the magic pixel in every other STG too!" Like IMAGEFIGHT:
Highly Classified (`w´メ)
Or even X-MULTIPLES!
Not Safe For Work (■`w´■)
In hindsight, perhaps they were going for a Druaga crossover? That one's fiendish NAZOs being engineered specifically to get the entire year group onboard and sharing notes. Interesting if so!

The cartridge is nice n' shiny, which might've dazzled, but I grew up with the inferior NES rev of Zelda II, similarly toothsome to behold. So no dice there.

I do wonder if it changed up interestingly for arcade format, this being the Vs. System version. Anyway I'm talking out my ass here, pls disregard. Image
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

>What looks like a shitty nes port of Xevious

BIL

Post by BIL »

It's beautiful, the efficient Shumps Farm I dreamed of ;-;7

I have a tree fitty lef on my PSN account, and tbh this may be a serendipitous occasion to actually try the game out with official English guidance (if ACA Tower Of Druaga and Return Of Ishtar are anything to go by). So I'll hop in when it's up later today. I'm gonna get PWNED if it's just a quickie manual though! :shock: I suppose there is stalwart Strategywiki to fall back on. Let's see...

EDIT: Oho! Reliable chaps, those. EDIT2: But as they say, beware spoilers in the walkthrough! A shump you can spoil, eh. I still dunno about the game tbh. Fly into the random cloud to clear the stage, or do it again but harder? Hm.

If nothing else, I like seeing third-party Vs. System ports. I'm still not sure what Vs. Gradius even does differently, it's just neat getting a first-rate translation for a Sony console to go with I/II/III.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Fingers crossed for NebulasRay make it through the ACA Namco crowd. It's like Rayforce/Viper Phase 1 at home with some impressive all pre-renders graphics, even RayForce devs got mad/felt complete loss over NR because it looks better than their game back in the day. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Daww Image That's amazing, they even nicked their title! :mrgreen:

Yeah, the only Namco STG I'd like to see more than NebulasRay is F/A. Incredible space dogfighter animu vibe in NR. Very unlike Rayforce's deliberately downbeat/surrealist take. Chonkiest pre-rendered murder machinery this side of Souky and Mars Matrix.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Nebulas Ray is really cool looking. I'd still rather have Viper Phase 1. That game looks soo clean.
BIL

Post by BIL »

As I suspected, Emeraldia next week. Image Been interested since Roo's posts on it a while back.

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Image ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nah it sounds pretty legit, albeit Teki Paki is better, but Teki Paki is better than most things. :wink: Also that dolphin is so hella happy and gay, I just want to throw him a coin. :o

Seems ACA releases show up a day later on JPSN than usual, so my GAMP NO NAZO fiesta was delayed to tonight. 3; I just remembered it's on M2's Namco Museum archives as well so I coulda tried that lmao! (albeit FC rather than Vs. System) Ah well.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Three comparative arcana so far. It genuinely feels like a setup for The Outfoxies or F/A (probably the former) to finish up. Yes, that one’s arcane too, but I can see it stirring up conversation as a proto-Smash Bros.
retrokid64

Post by retrokid64 »

BIL wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:03 pm Nah it sounds pretty legit, albeit Teki Paki is better, but Teki Paki is better than most things. :wink: Also that dolphin is so hella happy and gay, I just want to throw him a coin. :o

Seems ACA releases show up a day later on JPSN than usual, so my GAMP NO NAZO fiesta was delayed to tonight. 3; I just remembered it's on M2's Namco Museum archives as well so I coulda tried that lmao! (albeit FC rather than Vs. System) Ah well.
"Also that dolphin is so hella happy and gay, I just want to throw him a coin."
Quit shoving that garbage agenda down everyone's throats.
BIL

Post by BIL »

retrokid64 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:33 pm"Also that dolphin is so hella happy and gay, I just want to throw him a coin."
Quit shoving that garbage agenda down everyone's throats.
Calm down son, it's ok that your gay. (`w´メ) #nohomo
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

LMAO, what a typo in the NA Switch version of today's release: Vs. Super Xevious Mystery of Gump

Not GAMP. GUMP. Run Solvalou, run!
BIL wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:52 pmAs I suspected, Emeraldia next week.
Nice! Seems to be setting up for a F/A finale to Namco month as they blaze through the NA-1 library.

I don't think Hamster is cruel enough to have this buildup and then go with... Tinkle Pit? (for anyone who can't deal with happy gay dolphins, IDK what to even say to you about TINKLE PIT)
BIL

Post by BIL »

hamfighterx wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 pm LMAO, what a typo in the NA Switch version of today's release: Vs. Super Xevious Mystery of Gump

Not GAMP. GUMP. Run Solvalou, run!
Ahaha, I saw that on PSN too. :mrgreen:

*cut to GUMP's mom banging the head of U.N. Spacy in his office*
SeafoamGaming

Post by SeafoamGaming »

Looking at the other VS system games Namco made and oh boy I see Quest of Ki on the list...

...Despite being kinda redundant due to being in the Namcot Collection DLC I still kinda want it on ACA since it would make for a chaotic Caravan Mode game