Andro Dunos 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Andro Dunos 2

Post by BIL »

Marc wrote:
Despatche wrote:Area 88's alright, I guess. It doesn't really play anything like Andro Dunos though, and by mentioning it you sound a lot like those people who think everything's just a Galaga ripoff.

See, now you're just full of shit. Jaleco is an extremely common punching bag across the entire internet. Only very specific Jaleco games are allowed to be liked, such as Cybattler. Any attempt to direct any sort of positivity towards Jaleco as an overall company is immediately written off as weird fanboyism. Data East gets far more respect, and people still love to make fun of them anyway, even though damn near their entire catalog is amazing.

On the subject of Data East though, how do you feel about Fighter's History Dynamite?
Data East are alright, but much of their popular stuff seems to come with a bit of jank baked in.
I've not played fighting games seriously for over a decade now, so my opinion of FHD is moot. Back in the day, I did regard it as one of the better SF2 rips, but that was a long time ago.
Mind, I liked one of the World Heroes games as well so what did I know?
Dynamite some goodass STesque fightin', beefy hitz and big tits. I hope the numbnuts at Capcom USA who sued DECO got AIDS.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I've watched some minutes of a Andro Dunos 1 1cc after reading Despatches AD praises and it looks sometimes really good. So I would like to play it sometimes. But Iam not a big fan of using classic names to promote some games which have not much to to with the classic. He has written it in the same post: its a new game of the Infinos developer and AD2 looks exactly like any other game of them. Its not a bad thing but the game called AD2 is not really AD2.

Of course its useful to use better known names to promote ones work but I don't like it^^
it's like calling Raiden, a total Toaplan ripoff, an "innovative masterpiece"
Nah, its not. It plays much different than Toaplan games. Even if they used some ideas, it just don't feels like a Toaplan game.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Non-Andro Dunos II coming next month:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1856 ... _Dunos_II/

Two publishers involved and they still can't check redaction:
The sequel of the famous Shoot'em up from the Visco studio is back, 20 years after the first opus, released exclusively on Neo-Geo MVS and Neo-Geo AES in 1992 .
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Was wondering what happened to this.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Did they announce a PC release a long time ago? I ask because I don't recall ever seeing it confirmed, so late last year I ordered the Switch physical copy. Now I am debating cancelling that...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

This appeared on the PSN at 12 AM today by accident, along with Ganryu 2, but was unsurprisingly taken off. I was tempted to bite on one of them but decided to wait for the PC release.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Oh damn. I don't suppose people were able to buy it quick? Checking youtube I don't see any gameplay videos in the last day for Andro Dunos 2, but a few new ones for Ganryu 2.

Ganryu 2 reminds me more of Mirai Ninja, with the high movement/scrolling speed combined with attacking while moving.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Hopefully some gameplay videos come out. Looking to buy the physical, but want to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Really wondering when they're gonna ship the physical edition I ordered almost 2 years ago. Guess it might be a while before we hear about that
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Jeneki wrote:Oh damn. I don't suppose people were able to buy it quick? Checking youtube I don't see any gameplay videos in the last day for Andro Dunos 2, but a few new ones for Ganryu 2.

Ganryu 2 reminds me more of Mirai Ninja, with the high movement/scrolling speed combined with attacking while moving.
Speaking of Ganryu, do we know why ACA didn't port the first one?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Same reason there's no ACA NeoGeo Captain Tomaday or Neo Drift Out - it's a Visco IP. Really disappointing, given how god-awful emulation devs who aren't Hamster, Gotch or M2 tend to be (see DotEmu's roundly-panned Windjammers, another notable ACA-NG absence). I hope they and Viewpoint show up at some point (well, not so much Tomaday - haven't played it).
Steven

Post by Steven »

Apparently whoever runs PixelHeart said that the source codes of the Visco games have been lost, so there will likely never be ports of them to anything ever. Emulated, yes, but never ported. I hope their Dreamcast Andro Dunos isn't complete trash, but I'll find out if they ever decide to ship it, preferably with Andro Dunos II. At least I can play it on my AES or MiSTer if the Dreamcast version is garbage, but I do like the game and the Dreamcast, so I hope it's good. Not too worried about Andro Dunos II, though, as it's Picorinne Soft, so even if the 3DS and Dreamcast versions are bad due to PixelHeart or JoshProd or whoever being shit, the PC version will probably be flawless.

It's really too bad PixelHeart seems to not give a shit about Arcade Archives, though. Andro Dunos deserves a properly emulated rerelease.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Same reason there's no ACA NeoGeo Captain Tomaday or Neo Drift Out - it's a Visco IP. Really disappointing, given how god-awful emulation devs who aren't Hamster, Gotch or M2 tend to be (see DotEmu's roundly-panned Windjammers, another notable ACA-NG absence). I hope they and Viewpoint show up at some point (well, not so much Tomaday - haven't played it).
Was Windjammers panned? I thought I remember someone here saying it turned out ok? Given DotEmu's track record that may not be the case, but what I have played of their version seemed fine. I also like what I played of their sequel quite a bit.

The upcoming Flying Shark/Same! Same! Same! collection is strangely missing the MD version of Wardner. Guess who the publisher is...
BIL

Post by BIL »

You could easily be correct - I have to admit after their gut-wrenchingly awful Metal Slug 3 and Shock Troopers, and a stern panning or two from dependable peeps, I wrote it off. Consider the above amended for the time being, it's just two out of three Neo classics they've mangled. :lol:

EDIT: Oof, now I remember. Still, you too are a trusted peep™, and I've seen a few wrongful convictions (like Mihara's infamous ACA Gradius hitjob), so I'll keep an open mind. Cheers bud. :cool:
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Who did the cover art for this one? It's beautiful and very very classic. It really looks like a cover from the time period of the series inception.
I kinda want this. I liked Infinos Gaiden a lot.
heli

Post by heli »

Yes, support this style its worth 30,-
30 is 20 nowadays, you buying a 20,- game just with new price, no hesitate.
Finally a game, some game, whatever game, need more,
not playing that car shmup i bought for 40 just to support the style,
it cant be worse, in 2 weeks you can have in house.
And i bet it wont be a half baked game like r-type final 2 DLC rip your money off content and almost full price disc.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Now that I think about it, I should probably go actually play Andro Dunos now that I have an arcade stick for my MiSTer that has turbo instead of sitting there and smashing my AES controller's A button since the game doesn't have autofire. I like Andro Dunos, but constantly attempting to smash the A button out of existence gets tiring. My AES has pretty bad jailbars that I never managed to fix, so having not shit video will be nice, as well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:You could easily be correct - I have to admit after their gut-wrenchingly awful Metal Slug 3 and Shock Troopers, and a stern panning or two from dependable peeps, I wrote it off. Consider the above amended for the time being, it's just two out of three Neo classics they've mangled. :lol:

EDIT: Oof, now I remember. Still, you too are a trusted peep™, and I've seen a few wrongful convictions (like Mihara's infamous ACA Gradius hitjob), so I'll keep an open mind. Cheers bud. :cool:
I would trust his impression more than I would trust mine, though.

Edit: Tried the Switch port again. Better than usual for dotemu, but still pretty messed up. Bad scanlines, menu overlays, and a bit of input lag (not unplayable, but definitely feels more snappy on MiSTer). The game gives you three difficulty levels, but none of them match the defaults.

Doesn't change my impressions of the sequel, though. It adds some nice features to the game while still feeling like the original. Definitely like being able to slap the disc and jump and slam it. Graphics are high res.
Last edited by BrianC on Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I asked yesterday or maybe the day before on Twitter about the DC version, and got a bullshit answer. I think its time to cancel my pre-orders. When they start pushing and shipping versions that were announced after the DC version something is up.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Steven wrote:Now that I think about it, I should probably go actually play Andro Dunos now that I have an arcade stick for my MiSTer that has turbo instead of sitting there and smashing my AES controller's A button since the game doesn't have autofire. I like Andro Dunos, but constantly attempting to smash the A button out of existence gets tiring.
Aye auto makes things more tolerable. In this game though I'd suggest setting up a second non-autofire button, because the charge-up shot is very useful.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Jeneki wrote:
Steven wrote:Now that I think about it, I should probably go actually play Andro Dunos now that I have an arcade stick for my MiSTer that has turbo instead of sitting there and smashing my AES controller's A button since the game doesn't have autofire. I like Andro Dunos, but constantly attempting to smash the A button out of existence gets tiring.
Aye auto makes things more tolerable. In this game though I'd suggest setting up a second non-autofire button, because the charge-up shot is very useful.
I just realized that I have absolutely no idea how to set up multiples of the same button on MiSTer. I'll figure it out eventually. I hope.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven wrote:
Jeneki wrote:
I just realized that I have absolutely no idea how to set up multiples of the same button on MiSTer. I'll figure it out eventually. I hope.
Once you finish confirming all primary buttons, the control mapper should automatically ask you if you'd like to set up alternates. Maybe you're backing out of the control config window too quickly.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, just remember to use your OSD/menu button to skip all the buttons you don't want to duplicate. :)
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Happy to report the game runs great on the Switch both docked and undocked. Only played a few credits so far but it feels like a solid throwback. The music in particular is fantastic. No real options that I can see to change anything other than the button layout and difficulty so it’s a straight up arcade game. Nothing more nothing less and I’m fine with that for $20.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

ATTRACTS wrote:Happy to report the game runs great on the Switch both docked and undocked. Only played a few credits so far but it feels like a solid throwback. The music in particular is fantastic. No real options that I can see to change anything other than the button layout and difficulty so it’s a straight up arcade game. Nothing more nothing less and I’m fine with that for $20.
That's great to hear, especially the music as nothing kills a shmup quicker for me than a poor ost. Going to have to wait for the PS4 version to drop though.
Gaiaresis1

Post by Gaiaresis1 »

I saw a gameplay video earlier. It looks and sounds great. Picking it up tomorrow. I'm also getting the 3DS version just for the lulz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSKVdZ7xUe0&t=367s
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So, how is the game on PS4 or Switch? It comes out tomorrow, right?
Gaiaresis1

Post by Gaiaresis1 »

It's out now for Switch. I'm loving it. feels very responsive. It's basically Andro Dunos weapon systems with Infinos Gaiden graphics and gameplay.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Gaiaresis1 wrote:It's basically Andro Dunos weapon systems with Infinos Gaiden graphics and gameplay.
Thanks, that sounds awesome.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Gaiaresis1 wrote:It's out now for Switch. I'm loving it. feels very responsive. It's basically Andro Dunos weapon systems with Infinos Gaiden graphics and gameplay.
Ditto this.

The worst thing in the game is the lack of display options and the mandatory anime-man wallpaper - can I please turn this off?