Sega console in 2020?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
azmun

Sega console in 2020?

Post by azmun »

There is some hype and speculation going around with rumors of Sega to make a surprise announcement of an upcoming console this year. Many are skeptical of their ability to compete in a crowded industry that require deep pockets (just like how it was way back in early 2000s). Wonder what they are thinking (or smoking?) and what opportunities they see. Granted, they've got lots of great IPs. It's hard to believe they would release or deliver hardware capable of competing directly with the unveiling of ninth generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony. Keeping their titles exclusive on their platform is a double bladed sword and a huge gamble. Any thoughts? If this would mean a revival of innovation and/or continuation returning franchises then that'd be great! OK, it's nice to dream.
bigbadboaz

Re: Sega console in 2020?

Post by bigbadboaz »

Where are you hearing this hype? Can't say I've come across anything lately.

And I agree, there's absolutely no way they could make a go of it.
azmun

Post by azmun »

If you do search, you'll see some posts. Here, imma link one to ya.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/0 ... rning_sega
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

azmun wrote:If you do search, you'll see some posts. Here, imma link one to ya.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/0 ... rning_sega
Perhaps a mini Saturn or Dreamcast? I highly doubt Sega will ever do a standalone console. The only standalone console I can see Sega doing is something similar to the Nintendo Switch running a simple SoC.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

The one thing Sega has that no one else does that has really never been tapped to its full potential is their arcade library. Sega, IMO, is / was the premier arcade game designer on the planet and owns and developed many of the most legendary arcades ever created. How freaking cool would a mini- Model 3 or NAOMI 2 system be that could also play Model 2, 1, System32, and System 16 games?! It would certainly be unique, and the window for Sega to make good money on many of these titles is closing. Think about it-- Im 40 now, but I was only 14 or so when I first saw Virtua Racing in the arcades. I was happy with my N64 at the age of 17 until I saw Harley Davidson and the LA Riders and realized that machine was AT LEAST 10x more powerful than my shiny new Silicon Graphics based system.

I guess what Im saying is that those games still have a lot of nostalgia and meaning to folks my age (who also btw usually have a few more bucks of disposable income), but much, much less meaning to someone 10-15 years younger than me. I dont care if they would use ARM hardware to emulate those titles, I just want to be able to play them at home in all their glory, you know?

A mini Dreamcast would also be cool, (albeit far less than a mini-Model3 or NAOMI 2) and they could allow it to play Saturn games as well.

Oh well, wishful thinking probably.
Last edited by Josh128 on Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Even if this were true, it would just be yet another ARM or x86 CPU running a custom ver. of Linux or whatever. Console hardware just isn't exciting anymore.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I don't buy it.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Udderdude wrote:Even if this were true, it would just be yet another ARM or x86 CPU running a custom ver. of Linux or whatever. Console hardware just isn't exciting anymore.
Agree.

PS4 and Xbone are locked pcs with the same games. At least the Nintendo Shield has fun Nintendo games on it but that's certainly not exciting hardware.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

With the new Segata Sanshiro commercials I'd guess it's something Saturn related, probably a mini console.

I think the one potential odd possibility is a re-release of vintage hardware in some form- again I'm leaning towards the Saturn because of how big it continues to be in Japan.

Would this be big enough news for the "scoop" comparable to early PS5 info though???
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Steamflogger Boss

bobrocks95 wrote:With the new Segata Sanshiro commercials I'd guess it's something Saturn related, probably a mini console.

I think the one potential odd possibility is a re-release of vintage hardware in some form- again I'm leaning towards the Saturn because of how big it continues to be in Japan.

Would this be big enough news for the "scoop" comparable to early PS5 info though???
This I would actually buy just to have one.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

... mini dreamcast could be cool, probably more realistic in emulation stakes than saturn tbh, however, I don't see how either of those is too disruptive or that big a scoop per that article.

... Probably be just phase 2 of whatever mobile stuff they tried to get going... I guess the walk back could equate the ps5 scoop to be more of the same but better :P

... And although the article relates it to ps5 scoop levels of scoop-i-ness (?) it doesn't actually say it's hardware, riling up the games industry sounds more like an online store/launcher, or partnership with nintendo, or something...
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'd be excited for a mini Saturn but yeah, another mini is the only realistic option, not a "real console".

Sega were reportedly pleased with the MD Mini's reception so I suppose they'd be thinking about this. It seems too soon technology-wise for it to be feasible, though.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Josh128 wrote:The one thing Sega has that no one else does that has really never been tapped to its full potential is their arcade library. Sega, IMO, is / was the premier arcade game designer on the planet and owns and developed many of the most legendary arcades ever created. How freaking cool would a mini- Model 3 or NAOMI 2 system be that could also play Model 2, 1, System32, and System 16 games?! It would certainly be unique, and the window for Sega to make good money on many of these titles is closing. Think about it-- Im 40 now, but I was only 14 or so when I first saw Virtua Racing in the arcades. I was happy with my N64 at the age of 17 until I saw Harley Davidson and the LA Riders and realized that machine was AT LEAST 10x more powerful than my shiny new Silicon Graphics based system.

I guess what Im saying is that those games still have a lot of nostalgia and meaning to folks my age (who also btw usually have a few more bucks of disposable income), but much, much less meaning to someone 10-15 years younger than me. I dont care if they would use ARM hardware to emulate those titles, I just want to be able to play them at home in all their glory, you know?

A mini Dreamcast would also be cool, (albeit far less than a mini-Model3 or NAOMI 2) and they could allow it to play Saturn games as well.

Wouldn't be outrageous for Sega and 1up to make something. Personally I don't want an arcade cabinet but if it had a ton of Model 2 and 3 games it'd be nigh-impossible to resist.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Galgomite wrote:
Josh128 wrote:The one thing Sega has that no one else does that has really never been tapped to its full potential is their arcade library. Sega, IMO, is / was the premier arcade game designer on the planet and owns and developed many of the most legendary arcades ever created. How freaking cool would a mini- Model 3 or NAOMI 2 system be that could also play Model 2, 1, System32, and System 16 games?! It would certainly be unique, and the window for Sega to make good money on many of these titles is closing. Think about it-- Im 40 now, but I was only 14 or so when I first saw Virtua Racing in the arcades. I was happy with my N64 at the age of 17 until I saw Harley Davidson and the LA Riders and realized that machine was AT LEAST 10x more powerful than my shiny new Silicon Graphics based system.

Wouldn't be outrageous for Sega and 1up to make something. Personally I don't want an arcade cabinet but if it had a ton of Model 2 and 3 games it'd be nigh-impossible to resist.
This is very true. Its really about the only thing Sega could possibly do right now that would be really exciting, in my opinion.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

A mini Saturn or Dreamcast or Arcade would be great in my eyes if they do it right. There is certainly affordable hardware out there these days that can emulate these well.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Any mini that has no analogue output is completely useless to me.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

It's gotta be a mini-console. mini-saturn or mini-dreamcast
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Kez

Post by Kez »

I don't really feel like a mini console would be any kind of big news. The rumours are all very vague, but it seems more likely to me to be something like a merger. Like maybe another company acquiring Sega, that seems a lot more feasible and would be a pretty big deal. Imagine if Nintendo bought Sega. Or the guy with the "scoop" is just hyping a damp squib.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

I like the SegaNET steaming service rumor. Like Nintendo Switch Online, but without the console restrictions. Brings you Sega arcade and console classics for a low monthly, or annual, price.

Makes the most sense to me.
Steamflogger Boss

Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Seriously? They've got to be kidding...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

At least it’s more interesting than that E3 when they super hyped they would publish The Matrix Online... :D

Hopefully this means that the rumor that Microsoft buys Sega was just that. I think Sega has been doing really well the last years releasing some really great stuff. Microsoft on the other hand has done terrible with their platform. So much so that I recently sold my Xbox One X making it the only European released console since the NES I don’t own. There is nothing exclusive on the Xbox worth playing for me, and so far I’m really looking forward to not spending money on the Series X :D
qmish

Post by qmish »

Konsolkongen wrote:At least it’s more interesting than that E3 when they super hyped they would publish The Matrix Online... :D

Hopefully this means that the rumor that Microsoft buys Sega was just that. I think Sega has been doing really well the last years releasing some really great stuff. Microsoft on the other hand has done terrible with their platform. So much so that I recently sold my Xbox One X making it the only European released console since the NES I don’t own. There is nothing exclusive on the Xbox worth playing for me, and so far I’m really looking forward to not spending money on the Series X :D
You still have original xbox and x360? I mean, for some people the only reason to get Xbox One is to play Ninja Gaiden 1-2 in best possible way + some other stuff like pd orta or guwange, who made it to backward comp. too
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Josh128 wrote:Seriously? They've got to be kidding...
According to the info they just released, there are 4 color variations, each with only 4 unique games. Buy all 4 for ~$55 each to get all the games.

No way this was the big scoop... Right?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Maybe it was media that just hyped it, so we can't fault Sega. It's more realistic and something few would have guessed right. After all the mini's now we get micro. Another possibility--this is just teaser of what else may be announced in the future. Who knows? Let's not get our hopes high, less our bubbles burst.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Looks ridiculous to me the GG mini 4 different colors with four different games each.
~5000¥ each model and ~30.000¥ for the pack with the lenses?? Are they serious?? Almost 10k¥ for the lenses :lol:
Now I remember why Sega went out fo business as a hardware maker.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Huh, yeah between an "official" software emulator that can play 4 games (with a ridiculously small screen to boot) and the hardware simulator called the Analogue Pocket that will most likely be able to play all Game Gear games from a MicroSD card (on top of GB/GBC, GBA, NGPC) with a dock option to play games on TV it's quite obvious what the superior product is here.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

qmish wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:At least it’s more interesting than that E3 when they super hyped they would publish The Matrix Online... :D

You still have original xbox and x360? I mean, for some people the only reason to get Xbox One is to play Ninja Gaiden 1-2 in best possible way + some other stuff like pd orta or guwange, who made it to backward comp. too
That's a valid point, and actually why I bought the Xbox One X to begin with. Their BC is amazing and especially the very few games that would render in 4k. MS pulled the plug on BC with only a small handful of my favorite titles supported, so that was very disappointing. I'm sure Series X will continue this and add 4k in many more titles, but this time I'll wait and see what happens, they might just drop support for that too all of a sudden.

Buying the currently most powerful console just to play Xbox and Xbox 360, which was basically what I did, is just insanity :D I won't hold my breath that Microsoft will change their approach to managing a platform in the next generation either. If anything it seems like they are sticking their course and going full sail now. Every first party game will also be released on Windows, and though they buy studios left and right they still seem to release their games on the other platforms too.
I really hope I'm wrong about this, because competition is great for the consumer, exclusive games are what defines a platform and without those it's just another box that can play multiplatform titles, maybe a little bit better or worse than the competitor and what's the point in that? :/
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Phellan Wolf wrote:Looks ridiculous to me the GG mini 4 different colors with four different games each.
~5000¥ each model and ~30.000¥ for the pack with the lenses?? Are they serious?? Almost 10k¥ for the lenses :lol:
Now I remember why Sega went out fo business as a hardware maker.
Sega failed in the console market for their hardcore approach, which is diametrically opposed to this mini trend (which is doing quite well for them, it seems).
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

^^

Which is why I was hoping for a Model 3 or NAOMI 2 Mini that would be able to play Model 3 games. :(