Gaming on Plasma

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Bahn Yuki

Gaming on Plasma

Post by Bahn Yuki »

https://youtu.be/zXPALralw_Q

Was wondering if anyone else had gamed on plasma? Do you still do it today?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
maxtherabbit

Re: Gaming on Plasma

Post by maxtherabbit »

Absolutely. I have a late model 59" Samsung 1080p plasma that is my primary display. It handles just about anything the OSSC can throw at it and only has 2 frames of lag.

Motion clarity is unmatched by anything shy of a CRT (or maybe OLED)
Bahn Yuki wrote:https://youtu.be/zXPALralw_Q

ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I use a ~10 yr old 50" Samsung plasma. Reds look not great, but apart from that the picture is good. I have noticed lag similar to that video, but can counteract with my receiver.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:Motion clarity is unmatched by anything shy of a CRT (or maybe OLED)
It is definitely better than OLED because OLED is like LCD a holding type display. Plasma's motion may be even better than OLED+tricks like BFI and rolling scan, though I haven't seen Plasma in years so can't be sure.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:Motion clarity is unmatched by anything shy of a CRT (or maybe OLED)
It is definitely better than OLED because OLED is like LCD a holding type display. Plasma's motion may be even better than OLED+tricks like BFI and rolling scan, though I haven't seen Plasma in years so can't be sure.
I've only seen OLED TVs in passing, no one I know personally plays on one - so I was just speculating
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

My main tv is a plasma. I like it. great motion resolution

video games and hockey both look awesome on it
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
strayan

Post by strayan »

Bahn Yuki wrote: Was wondering if anyone else had gamed on plasma? Do you still do it today?
Yes and yes. Why are you asking?
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Still use my Samsung 51" plasma as my primary gaming display. I'll never part with it until it completely craps out on me. That said, is there any way to remove long-lasting image retention? I've had it for almost a decade and I can always notice the 4:3 side bars and the stupid PS3 pause logo (lol). The screen wipe function does nothing. Any other options?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Sounds like it’s permanent at this point. Then there’s nothing you can do :(
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

I had a 50” Panasonic VT65 plasma and it was probably the best 1080p screen I ever used. Did a ton of current gen gaming on it and only ever saw the mildest of temporary image retention. As mentioned the motion is superb and better than the C8 OLED I have now.

Sold it to a mate and still see it from time to time and I’m always impressed and if it wasn’t for HDR I’d be begging him to sell it back to me.

Another friend had a Samsung plasma he bought at the same time and that was also great and could get brighter than the panny. Worse input lag though and it broke down on him a couple of times.
Last edited by EnragedWhale on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kel

Post by kel »

Still have a Panasonic VT65B as my living room TV and a Samsung F8500 in the bedroom for gaming even though the lag is worse on the Samsung I prefer the softer picture when it comes to gaming. I haven't moved on to OLED yet, waiting for prices to come down a bit first.

I remember a time when people generally kept their main TVs for up to a decade or more so at 5-6 years old these two TVs still have some life left in them even if they are getting a bit dated technology wise.

Oh and not to forget the Panasonic GT60 that I use for my PC. You can only imagine the screen burn on that by now :)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I swear would anyone make them again even if still just Full-HD, plasmas would sell to enthusiasts like hot cakes.
Guess all the industrial assembly hardwre and supply channels are long dead tho.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Yes, had a 42" Hitachi 42HDT51 w/ AVC-75 control unit and remote. Got it for free from a buddy who got it from a former co-worker and the story went that that person bought it new as a floor model when working as a manager for a stereo/TV store. Was something like $12000 new and they bought it for half price or something.

The thing worked great and looked beautiful for s-video, component, VGA and of course HDMI. Handled composite decently, certainly better than modern flat screens. Had monitor outputs for all analog inputs. Did have noticeable lag, and didn't well support OSSC line multiplication modes. So, I ended up selling it for $100 on craigslist. Good TV, served its purpose. But, now I've moved on.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

I still use a Panasonic 42PZ80U in my bedroom. 480P is muddy but lag is lowest I've ever seen for a plasma (~20ms I think). I think OLED is better, though-- I think sample-and-hold is often blamed unfairly because none of the smeariness/ lost detail I associate with LCD exists on my OLED.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Galgomite wrote:I still use a Panasonic 42PZ80U in my bedroom. 480P is muddy but lag is lowest I've ever seen for a plasma (~20ms I think). I think OLED is better, though-- I think sample-and-hold is often blamed unfairly because none of the smeariness/ lost detail I associate with LCD exists on my OLED.
What makes you think it’s around 20ms?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I have. Couldn't get into it. I prefer my projector for 1080p.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

My first flat panel was a Samsung 50" back in 2008. Loved it. That was a pretty long time ago but the technology had matured enough where I had no problems with lag, image retention, or ghosting.

I switched it out for a LED panel in 2013; I had been told by reliable sources that the improvements in LCD tech by then were enough to be competitive. Not true. Should have stuck with the Sammy for gaming. That said, I won't go back; the LED is "good enough", slightly larger, and does have advantages in picture quality for movie viewing, portability and power consumption.

I will go to a 4K OLED at the earliest opportunity and hopefully be closer to where I was with the plasma. I can live with the LCD for another year or two.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I used to play on my Plasma VT25 but the real problem was image retention. It just hits pretty hard imo. I much prefer gaming on LCD now a days, especially now that over the last 3 or so years lcd has made tremendous progress.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Taiyaki wrote:I used to play on my Plasma VT25 but the real problem was image retention. It just hits pretty hard imo.
What does “it hits pretty hard” mean?

I have a 2003 plasma and imagine retention lasts for about 5 minutes at most and even then is barely noticeable unless you’re looking for it.
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

Interesting, I hadn't realised plasmas were still desirable. Whats the appeal with them? We have had one in the family for years. If it's worth saving i might take it when it eventually gets replaced.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

strayan wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:I used to play on my Plasma VT25 but the real problem was image retention. It just hits pretty hard imo.
What does “it hits pretty hard” mean?

I have a 2003 plasma and imagine retention lasts for about 5 minutes at most and even then is barely noticeable unless you’re looking for it.
My model was the high end Panasonic model from around 2010 and the image retention was so bad I would almost call it burn in. I played RPG's and other games that had stat bars, static circles and the likes located in parts of the screen, and they really etched in. Some less sensitive people might not be bothered by it but whenever the screen displayed a solid-ish image, I could see the shadows of those hud's staring at me. I had tried washing them away with the built in cleaners but didn't work (I also wasn't even using the brightness that high). As a result I can never consider a Plasma tv an proper gaming tv, but maybe that's just me. My parents bought a VT50 which is Panasonic's highest model from a couple years later and it fares much better with image retention, although my eyes being used to spotting such things I can still see some news logos in some corners, the display does seem to do a better job at correcting the retention over time though.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

did you run a full break-in cycle on your Panasonic when it was new? That sort of thing is controversial on almost all technologies where it's recommended, but I was extremely concerned with potential burn-in and made sure to break in my Samsung before it saw a single static image. It ran rapidly cycling images for a full 100 hours before I did a damn thing else with it - believe me, the waiting was painful - and never suffered from any sort of image retention despite being used mostly for gaming.

Obviously, at this point in time this only helps if you can get a detailed use history on any potential used purchase. But I highly doubt a 2006-model Samsung had better panel tech than a 2010 Panasonic. Could be the break-in really matters.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I started using it out of the box for games and the likes (I bought it new of course), so no I never did that 100 hour break in test. I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing before either. :shock:

From what I remember I only started seeing burn in around 3 or 4 months into using it, but once it started appearing everything went downhill pretty fast. I think when I gave it away the entire outer edges of the screen were basically burned in with lots of hud's everywhere, it was so unsightly.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Taiyaki wrote:I started using it out of the box for games and the likes (I bought it new of course), so no I never did that 100 hour break in test. I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing before either. :shock:

From what I remember I only started seeing burn in around 3 or 4 months into using it, but once it started appearing everything went downhill pretty fast. I think when I gave it away the entire outer edges of the screen were basically burned in with lots of hud's everywhere, it was so unsightly.
This was from the old Panasonic website:
4. What is the "break-in" period and what should I do during the break-in period to minimize any risk of image retention? When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, you should:
Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.
Turn down the Picture setting (in the Picture menu) to +0.
Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.
Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).
Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.
Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.).
https://web.archive.org/web/20080115121 ... CNT_001993
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Wow those were pretty great, I don't know if such instructions were packaged with my model, I did read through the manual at the time (I'm the manual reading type for everything). If anything it was sold as being one of the early models to have corrected image retention, with some built in tech that inserted flashes that the human eye doesn't see that would suposedly prevent it, and reviews were glorious praising how it worked. Yet with my set, as well as friends who had a Panny (generally the G25 model, mine was VT25) had the exact same issues with image retention, getting worse over time until the end of life of the displays.

Not trying to knock on Plasma though, there was nothing like it in terms of picture quality at the time, I just felt it best used for films, and with caution for tv and games due to static logos and huds.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

jeffez wrote:Interesting, I hadn't realised plasmas were still desirable. Whats the appeal with them? We have had one in the family for years. If it's worth saving i might take it when it eventually gets replaced.
Perfect blacks and response time (no nasty blur on fasting moving objects) of a CRT and the slimness of a flat panel.
Margatroid

Post by Margatroid »

GojiFan90 wrote:Still use my Samsung 51" plasma as my primary gaming display. I'll never part with it until it completely craps out on me. That said, is there any way to remove long-lasting image retention? I've had it for almost a decade and I can always notice the 4:3 side bars and the stupid PS3 pause logo (lol). The screen wipe function does nothing. Any other options?
Whenever I notice image retention from Windows or from video games I run this video for about an hour, and it usually makes the screen completely clear again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-KIlsxxOw

Sometimes it clears things up in only fifteen minutes or so.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

If you game a lot with the same static huds in games burn in is inevitable. You can't prevent uneven phosphor aging other than to vary your content.Like sunfading, the damage is cumulative. For example 300 hours on in a row vs 1 hour every day over 300 days is the same effect.

My 2009 Panasonic TC-P50G10 has PSO2 huds burned in on the bottom left and the text bars slightly on the bottom right. Also has a faint windows 7 task bar burn in.

Keep in mind I've played dozens of hours well into the hundreds of pso2. In the grand scheme of things that isn't long. It has around 25,000+ power on hours nowadays.

With that said you only see it on solid bright colors or a pure white screen. Not noticeable otherwise.

I love this tv though. Fantastic picture quality and relatively low input lag at 22 ms if tests are accurate. Only caveat is it sucks with the OSSC.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

strayan wrote:
Galgomite wrote:I still use a Panasonic 42PZ80U in my bedroom. 480P is muddy but lag is lowest I've ever seen for a plasma (~20ms I think). I think OLED is better, though-- I think sample-and-hold is often blamed unfairly because none of the smeariness/ lost detail I associate with LCD exists on my OLED.
What makes you think it’s around 20ms?
Leo Bodnar tester.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Bought me a Panasonic vt60 from craigslist a few years ago and im still using it now as my current gen gaming display. Even got some retro hdmi consoles hooked up to it and they look and play great. I really love the black and colors from this thing. I can't really make comparisons to OLED since I never seen them in person, but I think theres still a good case to be made for high end plasma displays.