Good Electric Screwdriver?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Good Electric Screwdriver?

Post by Lawfer »

I need an electric screwdriver, because each time I try to screw or unscrew using a un-powered screw, the screw gets easily damaged. Right now I got a monitor which has screws that are too tightly screwed in to be able to remove with an unpowered screw, so I would like recommendation for a good electric screwdriver model?
Fudoh

Re: Good Electric Screwdriver?

Post by Fudoh »

The most common reason why your screws get damaged is because the tip of the screwdriver doesn't really fit the screw. Especially with Philips screws (cross-type slots) using a tip that's too narrow will easily damage your screws. Using a matching tip instead, it's really hard to cause any kind of damage (and it makes removing tight screws much easier as well).

In other words: explore your tips instead of getting an electric screwdriver.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Fudoh is spot on, you need to use the right tip for the phillips screws, there is a type of screw similar to phillips called pozidriv to make things even more confusing.

I personally use the ratched type screwdriver for things like this, I prefer manual as you tend to find it's easy to round the head off screws with something more powerful.

If a screws tight to come out give the screwdriver a couple of taps with a hammer .
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

garrz32 wrote:If a screws tight to come out give the screwdriver a couple of taps with a hammer .
It's on the back of a broadcast monitor...
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Lawfer wrote:
garrz32 wrote:If a screws tight to come out give the screwdriver a couple of taps with a hammer .
Here's some shit from China. Roll the dice...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... psp+street
Copyright 1987
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:The most common reason why your screws get damaged is because the tip of the screwdriver doesn't really fit the screw. Especially with Philips screws (cross-type slots) using a tip that's too narrow will easily damage your screws. Using a matching tip instead, it's really hard to cause any kind of damage (and it makes removing tight screws much easier as well).

I managed to unscrew two of them with only a little damage, but the two remaining ones are screwed in insanely tightly, I tried with a dozen different screwdrivers, nothing does it, they are only getting damaged more and more.
Last edited by Lawfer on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Lawfer wrote:

Ok , then try these bad boys

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Tools-MLP1 ... SwTsNdMMml
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Fudoh wrote:The most common reason why your screws get damaged is because the tip of the screwdriver doesn't really fit the screw. Especially with Philips screws (cross-type slots) using a tip that's too narrow will easily damage your screws. Using a matching tip instead, it's really hard to cause any kind of damage (and it makes removing tight screws much easier as well).

People fail to realise JIS is not Phillip's.
If you see a dot on your screw head use a JIS driver.

Recommended electric screwdriver would be something cheap with a good or loose clutch.

You will need to start all screws by hand unless you get a feel for reversing the driver till the screw pops into its thread.

Recutting threads is a quick way to destroy posts.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Syntax wrote:People fail to realise JIS is not Phillip's.
If you see a dot on your screw head use a JIS driver.

Interesting, I think that what I have uses a JIS screwdriver instead, I don't see any "dot" on the undamaged ones, can you get these in Europe?

I actually got one of these, does it look like it has any JIS in there:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0097DYZHK/

Syntax wrote:You will need to start all screws by hand unless you get a feel for reversing the driver till the screw pops into its thread.

I don't understand this part?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Lawfer wrote:I actually got one of these, does it look like it has any JIS in there:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0097DYZHK/
No, that one has Philips and Pozidriv, the latter is yet another cross-shaped screw head that looks similar but is not compatible with Philips-head screws. The German Wikipedia article has some nice comparison pictures that don't seem to appear in the english-language versions - you can usually distinguish Philips screws from Pozidriv by the crossed lines that are between the "arms" of the main cross in the head.

Syntax wrote:You will need to start all screws by hand unless you get a feel for reversing the driver till the screw pops into its thread.

[/quote]
It mainly applies to self-tapping screws, e.g. the cheap ones that are screwed directly into plastic. If you just fasten them again without checking for the start of the thread, you will likely start cutting a new thread into the plastic. This will quickly wear out the inner wall of the screw hole, so it is better to slowly turn the screw anti-clockwise first (same as unscrewing) until you feel it dropping down into the start of the thread. After that you can turn it clockwise to fasten it and it'll move into the existing thread instead of cutting a new one.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Lawfer wrote:

When a screw is first inserted into a post at the factory it makes a thread.

If you take that screw out then reinsert it but don't take the same thread you are cutting a new one but have less material to work with.
End result will be a threaded or snapped post.

So you put the screw into the post and reverse it a little till you feel it pop into the thread, then it should go in very easily.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:No, that one has Philips and Pozidriv, the latter is yet another cross-shaped screw head that looks similar but is not compatible with Philips-head screws. The German Wikipedia article has some nice comparison pictures that don't seem to appear in the english-language versions - you can usually distinguish Philips screws from Pozidriv by the crossed lines that are between the "arms" of the main cross in the head.
Thanks, are there any boxes that contains JIS screwdriver heads on amazon I can buy in Europe? I brought the screws to the stores and they were completely clueless, said they didn't have any screws like that here and sold me an un-powered philips screwdriver instead...

Unseen wrote:It mainly applies to self-tapping screws, e.g. the cheap ones that are screwed directly into plastic. If you just fasten them again without checking for the start of the thread, you will likely start cutting a new thread into the plastic. This will quickly wear out the inner wall of the screw hole, so it is better to slowly turn the screw anti-clockwise first (same as unscrewing) until you feel it dropping down into the start of the thread. After that you can turn it clockwise to fasten it and it'll move into the existing thread instead of cutting a new one.
Syntax wrote:When a screw is first inserted into a post at the factory it makes a thread.

If you take that screw out then reinsert it but don't take the same thread you are cutting a new one but have less material to work with.
End result will be a threaded or snapped post.

So you put the screw into the post and reverse it a little till you feel it pop into the thread, then it should go in very easily.
I see, thanks for the explanation.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Here are the pictures of the two screws I managed to take out:

Are they JIS or something else?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Nobody can tell what they are? I ordered a set of un-powered JIS screwdrivers but I am not even sure if they will fit or not.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Hard to say for sure, but they look like standard philips. Are you using a decent screwdriver brand, such as Wiha or Wera? For difficult screws I really like the Wera Lasertip, as they have laser cut grooves on the edges which 'bite' into the screw and really help prevent slippage:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rcAPfvQxbI
Of course you still need to make sure your using the correct size screwdriver for the screw.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Link83 wrote:Hard to say for sure, but they look like standard philips.
I am not sure about that, as soon as I apply some force, the screwdriver just slips out from the hole, this shouldn't happen with a screwdriver meant for the hole from what this guy is saying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgW2q4w20kk&t=1m42s

Link83 wrote:Of course you still need to make sure your using the correct size screwdriver for the screw.
I used multiple ones, all of them slips out as soon as I apply some force and as you know this is just chipping away at the screw.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Well if your certain your using good quality philips screwdrivers and they are not working, then I guess you could try a set of JIS screwdrivers. Try searching on ebay for "Megadora JIS" to see some JIS options.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Link83 wrote:Well if your certain your using good quality philips screwdrivers and they are not working, then I guess you could try a set of JIS screwdrivers. Try searching on ebay for "Megadora JIS" to see some JIS options.
I dunno about quality, but they are slipping out, from the information I gather this shouldn't happen on a screwdriver that fits into the hole.

For the JIS, I got these:

I dunno if they are any good, but that was the only ones available and in stock, they were others from a company called "Vessel", but they aren't in stock.
Last edited by Lawfer on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I really don't care for JIS vs. philips vs. anything else. The bits simply have to fit firmly. Your problem is MOST LIKELY that your screwdriver is too pointy. You need a more blunt one.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:I really don't care for JIS vs. philips vs. anything else. The bits simply have to fit firmly. Your problem is MOST LIKELY that your screwdriver is too pointy. You need a more blunt one.
Where/how could I get such one? The stores around here all have their phillips screwdrivers pretty much the same, pointy.

Wouldn't the biggest JIS screwdriver I got from the picture above do?
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Lawfer wrote:
Fudoh wrote:I really don't care for JIS vs. philips vs. anything else. The bits simply have to fit firmly. Your problem is MOST LIKELY that your screwdriver is too pointy. You need a more blunt one.
Where/how could I get such one? The stores around here all have their phillips screwdrivers pretty much the same, pointy.

Wouldn't the biggest JIS screwdriver I got from the picture above do?
He could have meant 'thicker head/tip' by blunt. Get some screwdrivers with some meat on them. Order them online if you have to.

I have a set of Stanley Fatmax which cover a pretty good range of screw heads.

https://www.stanleytools.com/products/f ... /fmht62052
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you have a look at your average bit set for 10-20 EUR on Amazon you can see they contain both pointy and blunt bits.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Lawfer wrote:Wouldn't the biggest JIS screwdriver I got from the picture above do?
JIS wont do if what you actually need is a decent philips screwdriver. I would seriously recommend trying out a Wera Lasertip screwedriver, for larger screws I find philips size 2 typically works best (If you cant find one locally search for 05008720001)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Anybody knows how to remove a screw who's screwhead is damaged (somehow stripped, but not completely, still too damaged to remove a screw that is too tightly screwed in)?

I managed to remove one with a Phillips bit size 2 with a blunt head, but it still isn't completly compatible (pretty sure these screws are actually JIS), but one of them is left and it's head is a little bit too damaged to remove. I tried with a rubber band, but it doesn't work (it actually made things even worse).
donluca

Post by donluca »

Tough situation.

You could try dremeling a line on the head so you can use a flat screwdriver and hope the head doesn't break.

Or you can just dremel the entire head, separate the parts and then use an inverse-parker screw to try and latch onto the bit inside and try to unscrew it.

And never, ever use an electric screwdriver. You'd be surprised at the torque you can apply with your hands correctly and fully gripping a screwdriver with the correct tip.
Not only that, but you also have insane control over the amount of torque you put in, in time you'll develop a feeling for it and now when to force it and when to just lightly apply more and more torque to finally unscrew it.

Really, just my 2 cents from years of experience: your hand is your best friend (no puns intended).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

donluca wrote:Tough situation.

You could try dremeling a line on the head so you can use a flat screwdriver and hope the head doesn't break.

Or you can just dremel the entire head, separate the parts and then use an inverse-parker screw to try and latch onto the bit inside and try to unscrew it.
I should mention that the screw has the head sticking out (it's not a screw with a flat head), enough to be able to grip it, the problem is that is is very TIGHTLY screwed, that I need to apply alot of strenght to unstuck it (at least at the beginning).

I was thinking of getting a "screw extraction pliers", what do you think? Any other things I can use?

donluca wrote:And never, ever use an electric screwdriver. You'd be surprised at the torque you can apply with your hands correctly and fully gripping a screwdriver with the correct tip.
Not only that, but you also have insane control over the amount of torque you put in, in time you'll develop a feeling for it and now when to force it and when to just lightly apply more and more torque to finally unscrew it.
Too late... That's how the screw got really damaged.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Lawfer wrote:Anybody knows how to remove a screw who's screwhead is damaged (somehow stripped, but not completely, still too damaged to remove a screw that is too tightly screwed in)?

I managed to remove one with a Phillips bit size 2 with a blunt head, but it still isn't completly compatible (pretty sure these screws are actually JIS), but one of them is left and it's head is a little bit too damaged to remove. I tried with a rubber band, but it doesn't work (it actually made things even worse).

Is there any head left to get a hold off. Vice grips might be your answer
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

garrz32 wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Anybody knows how to remove a screw who's screwhead is damaged (somehow stripped, but not completely, still too damaged to remove a screw that is too tightly screwed in)?

Is there any head left to get a hold off. Vice grips might be your answer
There's still plenty of head and the head is sticking up, it's just that the cross-shaped pattern has been a little too deformed to be able to use anymore, but it can still be grabbed with pliers.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

if you have a head left to get a hold off, get yourself a pair of Vice Grip pliers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNp39Jpnlc

I used to work in the Motor trade years ago, never a week went by when i had to deal with shit like broken or rounded screws. These pliers will take it out.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

garrz32 wrote:if you have a head left to get a hold off, get yourself a pair of Vice Grip pliers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNp39Jpnlc
Thanks, would it work even if it's very tightly screwed in? (it wouldn't even turn unless excessive force is applied to first dislodge it, that's what also caused the screw head to become stripped).

Would this one do the job too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TGNVUG/

?

garrz32 wrote:I used to work in the Motor trade years ago, never a week went by when i had to deal with shit like broken or rounded screws. These pliers will take it out.
That's because from what I understand, people in the West don't know about JIS and when they buy Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki etc. motorbikes, they destroy the screws by using Phillips, I tried to call like 3 stores that deal in motorbikes around here and none of them had nor ever heard of JIS: