RGBS RCA outputs to Component RCA Inputs?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NoAffinity

RGBS RCA outputs to Component RCA Inputs?

Post by NoAffinity »

I recently picked up a nice Trinitron. The chassis is RGB moddable, but for now, if I can find a solution to get RGBS into the component input on the TV, I will be happy to put off the mod until some point in the future.

I have the Otaku Games 6 port RGB SCART switch, which has parallel SCART and RCA outputs, for RGBS and audio (I know, they are not simultaneous outputs).

https://otaku-games.com/index.php?_rout ... witch.html

Here are the RCA outputs. Yellow is sync, directly connected to the sync line of the chosen input.

I am trying to figure out the best solution, including cost-effectiveness, for taking RGBS from those RCA outputs, to the Trintron's component input.

What I've come up with so far is:

1) Homemade RCA to SCART RGBS cable - cut the male RCA heads off of one end of the cable solder it to a male SCART connector. Include an addition single RCA cable for sync.
2) SCART to Component Converter - https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCA ... B004XSSDPO
3) Component cable from converter to TV

Latency/lag is of course always a concern, and I'm assuming the SCART to Component converter is not expected to add any latency? I know there are more expensive converters out there, like the RetroTek and the ShinyBow, but I've seen good reviews of this Specialty converter. Unless there is truly a compelling reason to avoid the Specialty offering, cost-effectiveness is a factor here.

Anybody else out there already solved for this problem, and/or anybody have a better idea?

Thanks in advance!
nmalinoski

Re: RGBS RCA outputs to Component RCA Inputs?

Post by nmalinoski »

This thread will be of interest to you: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63338

The discussion ultimately turns to an RGBS-to-YPbPr converter that fits in a SCART head, opening the door for a SCART-to-component adapter. Not sure where the product is in terms of production; I'm not sure if Mike Chi mentioned intending to produce any.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

nmalinoski wrote:This thread will be of interest to you: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63338

The discussion ultimately turns to an RGBS-to-YPbPr converter that fits in a SCART head, opening the door for a SCART-to-component adapter. Not sure where the product is in terms of production; I'm not sure if Mike Chi mentioned intending to produce any.
Thank.you sir. Good to see I'm not the only one interested in a solution?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

What you're looking for is the Shinybow SB-2840, which is the best converter of this type out there. Shinybow's SCART and component switches are also some of the best out there.

http://www.shinybow.com.tw/pro/detail.p ... f=57&pa=57
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info ... cts_id=220
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Yeah, I've seen that and the retrotek offering. But also trying to figure out how to get the signal into the sb/rt from the scart switch rca outputs. I see these cables on ebay, but I'm not clear on which scart pins are wired.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2173880737

I messaged the seller asking what the pinout is. While the cable appears to be good quality, it doesnt look like that scart head is easily opened up, in order to customize the pinout if it's not how I need it.

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I found a no-cost short term solution, using parts on hand. It's not YPbPr, but I'll post it here for posterity, as a solution for utilizing the Otaku Games SCART switch RCA outs.

1) Wei-Ya CV04 NTSC encoder http://www.weiya.com.tw/products_detail ... TO%20VIDEO
2) Hack together a cable using standard RCA (male-to-male) cables, and the 5-pin header lead
3) RCA audio cables direct to TV or switch, or whatever. In my case, I'm going through an s-video/composite switch.

Looks pretty great, imho, and I've now got all my consoles able to go to the Trinitron. This'll hold me over until MikeChi's product is available.

My mediocre picture-taking abilities don't really do it justice. :p :(
Spoiler
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

That looks dang good for composite video
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

FinalBaton wrote:That looks dang good for composite video
It's s-video. ;)

But, I must admit, after putting this solution through it's paces throughout the day, it's pretty unimpressive. PC Engine and Genesis play well through it, but I can't get colors just right. Employing either console's 240p suite, and the Trinitron's service menu, and the CV04's onboard pots, I've managed to make it worse than when I took the above pictures, and can't get it back to even that good. If I flip over to PS2 (component direct input) or Sega Saturn (S-video direct input), at the Trintron, colors looks great.

N64 and SNES won't display at all through the CV04.

PS1 and Sega Saturn constantly lose sync.

I can't find a sync common denominator to explain the problematic consoles either.
-N64 csync via Viletime's N64RGB (won't display at all)
-SNES csync via dejitter mod (won't display at all)
-Sega Saturn luma sync (constantly loses sync)
-PS1 luma sync (constantly loses sync)
-PCE (CG2) csync via SSDS3 (working)
-Genesis Model 1 HDG csync (working)

I have N64 and Sega Saturn hooked up to the s-video switch, and if I swap cables and take them directly to the Trinitron (not RGB converted), they look fantastic. So, it's not the Trinitron, and it's not the console. :(

Ultimately, this added subpar PCE and Genesis to the CRT side of my setup, and I'm back to monitoring the MikeChi converter thread. :)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Oh! I clicked on the link you had and it showed an RGB-to-composite board, that's why I assumed composite.

Yeah, S-video is nice but honestly it still has a good amount of color bleed that prevents achieving accurate colors. RGB/component is a very noticeable improvment
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

FinalBaton wrote:Oh! I clicked on the link you had and it showed an RGB-to-composite board, that's why I assumed composite.
Lol, I see it now. That's an s video ouptut under the cv04 sticker but it's funny that they only have the composite output called out on their web site.

Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Scart to component transcoders are not expensive on eBay.

Or, I have JROK that does a nice enough job converting rgb to component and / or SVideo.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Getting reference quality output from a color space conversion can be tricky business.
We apologise for the inconvenience
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Classicgamer wrote:Scart to component transcoders are not expensive on eBay.

Or, I have JROK that does a nice enough job converting rgb to component and / or SVideo.
I have a jrok in a donkey kong cab, for streaming dk runs. Works great, and dk is apparently an odd signal, as many devices including the ossc do not like it. But, I'm not willing to pull it out and from my understanding, the jrok doesnt output a standard signal. All that considered, and at a $80 price point, if I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd go with the shiny bow or other higher end transcoder.

So, other than the specialty av transcoder ($50) and shiny bow ($80), are there other more cost effective, and proven, options? Links would be appreciated. :)

Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I own 2 CSY 2100 (real not clone)

I did a lag test awhile back with mega man 2 and smb3 nes and I noticed more lag than the XRGB mini which surprised me.

Even though it was noticeable on a 17ms input lag LCD it was undetectable on my Mitsubishi CRT.

I would guess the csy and clones are in the 24-30 ms of added lag based on XRGB mini’s 2 frame tested delay
Copyright 1987
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I have the specialty av transcoder and I don't like it, it comes uncalibrated, and eyeballing the calibration is really tough... mine looked bad from the factory and I couldn't get it to look good

A user here recently posted a guide to calibrate these things using an oscilloscope and he seems to get it to perform decent. But then again that method requires an oscilloscope...

maybe there's a way to calibrate them using the 240p test suite? (color bars and then grayscale) I can't say for sure if these can match reference transcoders' performance once calibrated though. maybe they just can't match that level. I've never seen anyone claim that his CSY clone performed just as good as the Shinybow SB-2840, for a start...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Ahem.....might be of some interest as a cost-effective option.

viewtopic.php?p=1343407#p1343407

If the results for ypbpr transcoding turn out as good as what we have so far from the cfw VGA conversion, it could be a promising alternative.