Why are Eschatos and Ginga Force so expensive?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Why are Eschatos and Ginga Force so expensive?

Post by xxx1993 »

I've been wanting those two for a very long time, yet I can never find a cheap copy anywhere... When I see those games at a convention they're very expensive, and they're not even cheap on Amazon either... And to make matters worse, they're sold out on Play-Asia. At this rate, those two are better off being ported to the Nintendo Switch. Same for the upcoming Natsuki Chronicle.
Shepardus

Re: Why are Eschatos and Ginga Force so expensive?

Post by Shepardus »

When a game is expensive it's usually because other people want it too. Eschatos is on Steam, though, so it shouldn't be hard to get at a decent price...
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I still want to own the game physically, and besides, aren't most games better on console? And then there's Ginga Force I have to worry about...
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

xxx1993 wrote:aren't most games better on console?
Is there some specific benefit of the Xbox 360 version that you're looking for?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Well, other than owning a copy of the game... not really. I should just get the game on Steam, then, if it's gonna be that difficult, and just focus on Ginga Force.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Just listed this for you. $1.00 starting price with no reserve. Good luck. :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183043038092
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

If you think those are expensive you should see muchi muchi pork/pink sweets.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Limited supply: Total copies for either game were probably around 5k, maybe 10k. For comparison pretty sure Deathsmiles had something like a 35-40k japanese print run (think cave confrmed about 35k sales near launch in an interview?), before whatever relatively low price euro and US releases ... which probably added another 20-30k to the pot, maybe more?...

If unsold I imagine Japanese retailers might be more diligent about returns to supplier for reclamation, and they don't just have their shrink wrap removed and added to a store's 2nd hand/unsold shelf, or ebay, as junk stock.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It's not just Eschatos and Ginga Force that are so expensive. I've been considering getting Mushihimesama Futari for a long time now, yet I can't get that one either due to, you guessed it, the price.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

This thread makes me glad that I picked up Futari and Eschatos while I did. Shame that I missed out on MMP / PS though. It is really frustrating how quickly shooties get unaffordable :(
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
gray117

Post by gray117 »

xxx1993 wrote:Mushihimesama Futari for a long time now, yet I can't get that one either due to, you guessed it, the price.
It's not cheap, but this and espgaluda 2 are I think still fairly reasonable 2nd hand, they were full price releases... looks like you could nearly get both for cost of either ginga force/eschatos?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Maybe... And I don’t use eBay. Amazon is my primary choice for online shopping.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

xxx1993 wrote:Maybe... And I don’t use eBay. Amazon is my primary choice for online shopping.
The Platinum print frequently goes for around 30-40 dollars used on ebay, there are copies with staring prices in that range on there right now.

Shame you didn't look on Play Asia as it had been in stock from release in 2010 up until the last six months or so.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I don’t know if they’ll ever get copies again.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

xxx1993 wrote:I don’t know if they’ll ever get copies again.
Perhaps consider a different hobby. It seems you find it all too expensive, not too willing to try Steam or eBay and complaining about Play Asia.

Save more money and listen to the good advises from these gentleman. You might get a copy soon ;-)
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Yeah, well, I’m actually considering getting Eschatos on Steam because all of this is too much for me to handle.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

xxx1993 wrote:Yeah, well, I’m actually considering getting Eschatos on Steam because all of this is too much for me to handle.
Yeah, that's the most affordable option, especially when I got that, and the extra games included on that for a sale that's happened a long time ago.

But yeah, its not just Eschatos and Ginga Force being expensive (and besides the Pink/Pork combo), Bullet Soul, especially Infinite Burst for a hard copy too. At least both Bullet Soul games are affordable on their respective platforms digitally.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I've been wanting Ginga Force for a long time now. I must have it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

There is no better justification for selling games as digital downloads than shmup hard copy prices.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Austin

Post by Austin »

xxx1993 wrote:Maybe... And I don’t use eBay. Amazon is my primary choice for online shopping.
This is part of your problem.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Are they really? I got my Eschatos copy for 40 bucks at Otakon. Must've skyrocketted. Never played Ginga Force.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

360 shmups are among the most affordable.

Seriously a single copy of Hyper Duel will buy you the entire shmups library of the 360, and a Recca will buy you along a jp console, a hard drive and a good stick to play them.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
guigui

Post by guigui »

Xyga wrote: Seriously a single copy of Hyper Duel will buy you the entire shmups library of the 360
Hum, are you talking about the entire JP shmup library ? If yes I can point some over-reacting here. Say Hyper Duel is approx $400, while there are more than 25 JP shmups in the X360 library, easily going over $600 for the whole bunch.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Depends on the time you give it really, I've seen many copies of Hyper Duel more expensive than that (CIB w/ spine easily over 500 to 700, incomplete ones are already a bit over 400), and for the 360 shmups there are ways to save on some assuming you accept platimum releases or a used Cave Collection with opened/missing superplay discs for instance.
Also forums prices are often more reasonable, things sure are more expensive for the buyer in a hurry...

EDIT: plus it's reasonable to skip some, who wants bloody Sakura Flamingo? It's a bad ports compilation, or Shiki III that's a straight port not offering anything new afaik, or Senko no Ronde that's not textbook shmup, or Sylpheed. And I don't count dowloadables/non-physical already included in physical releases.
I'm not worried about the cost of building a 360 shmups library but rather if one intends to build a complete 360 shmupping setup, it's the cost of the jp or asia 360 console itself that's a bit difficult since there's been a lot of abuse there, that one's definitely to get from forums, not shops. Also of course for the whole investment; pay close attention to shipping and customs as those can dramatically increase the bill. But for about 1000 zeni+ you get what's still the best physical home shmupping solution.
That's about the price of a medium-interest pcb or a single priced collector console game. I'm guessing the prices of the whole 360 thing will increase over the years and rapidly so though, one day some asshole will list PS/MMP at 500 and the rest will follow, it's the ususal pattern.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

mmp/ps is pretty much the only 'expensive' game i own. annnnnd..... my disc doesn't work any more. nice!
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Immryr wrote:mmp/ps is pretty much the only 'expensive' game i own. annnnnd..... my disc doesn't work any more. nice!
Try getting it resurfaced. My buddy used to keep his 360 upright, and I accidentally knocked it over with my deathsmiles disc in there, had deep scratches, and took it to disc replay (midwest US) to use their machine and it works now

Mmp/ps is probably my favorite 360 release and I'd think its worth it
a creature... half solid half gas
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Xyga wrote: I'm not worried about the cost of building a 360 shmups library but rather if one intends to build a complete 360 shmupping setup, it's the cost of the jp or asia 360 console itself
That's why I went with a RGH 360. I've got all the discs but I never use them, have every game loaded to the HDD.

Most people used JTAG and RGH 360s to hack and cheat at COD games so since that isn't popular anymore they're getting easier and cheaper to get.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Some-Mist wrote:
Immryr wrote:mmp/ps is pretty much the only 'expensive' game i own. annnnnd..... my disc doesn't work any more. nice!
Try getting it resurfaced. My buddy used to keep his 360 upright, and I accidentally knocked it over with my deathsmiles disc in there, had deep scratches, and took it to disc replay (midwest US) to use their machine and it works now

Mmp/ps is probably my favorite 360 release and I'd think its worth it
Yeah I've been meaning to try that for a while. Wasn't really sure if it worked, but I don't exactly have anything to lose.

I bought it off someone on this forum for a decent price a few years ago and it had a big circular scratch going round it, but the game worked fine. I played it a decent amount then left it for a year or something. When I came back to it mmp just wouldn't load anymore.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

DoomsDave wrote:That's why I went with a RGH 360. I've got all the discs but I never use them, have every game loaded to the HDD.

Most people used JTAG and RGH 360s to hack and cheat at COD games so since that isn't popular anymore they're getting easier and cheaper to get.
I'm totally uneducated about hacked/modded 360's, it was my understanding that those either get your console banned or could cost a pretty penny all-prepared, but I haven't given a single look at that ever, so I wasn't aware those had become affordable and valid options over time.
I should probably consider one to be safe for the future (my asian slim is getting old)
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Going online with them is a bit of a pain in the ass and they will get banned if you go online without something called Ninja but I only play shmups on it and don't post to leaderboards so I never go online. Hacking them is not easy but if you get one that is already done then they're really easy to work with. I definitely think it's worth tracking one down.