DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Re: DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

Post by trap15 »

There's a very clear difference between this jokester and a new person not trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater. See that thread linked earlier.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

keres' post reminded me that we have almost the same convo before http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55613
it all comes full circle!
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Im not overly excited as I prefer 1.0.
But its great to get more Cave shooters on Steam.

DFK is also a good choice for advertising for new people, when all hell break loose DFK has tons of big stuff going on on the screen. IMO one of Caves best visual designs if you want to see the screen full of stuff, including one massive laser. (Where did the massive laser go in SDOJ?).

And for extras, as said before Ketsuipachi is really cool.
Last edited by monouchi on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Cagar wrote: what harm does it do if someone acts immature, really? I'll never get it.
And what harm does it do to give people a good super sonic body slam once in a while :3

I think honest responses to stupid remarks are fine (as in "your suggestion really makes no sense, please stop being annoying and derailing."), just as long as nobody holds a grudge. I try not to hurt peoples feelings, but I'm not going to tip toe around anyone either.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Guys, we need a safe space subforum on system11.org.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Maybe we'd give less of a shit if he posted anything other than "you guys all need to change! we need safe spaces for people to not talk about negative things! why aren't you guys like my fictitious impression of the FGC!" and hasn't done this exact same stupid spiel before.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Cagar wrote: There are often threads like "OMG I FINALLY DID IT!! I HIT THE BRONZE RANK!!" which is the equivalent of "OMG I FINALLY REACHED STAGE 3 IN KETSUI!!", and those people are still congratulated and told to keep playing instead of "Yeah that's nothing, fuck off lmao"
I've literally never seen someone do that around here, I think that's a myth. Where's the example of that occurring?
Squire Grooktook

Tomato, tomoto~

But yeah, I don't believe in personally insulting people over forum posts.

I may suggest that they relocate to another planet, however.

Oh yeah re fighting games: More talking about if you come into a forum demanding changes like a big shot. Mods are obviously gonna lock your thread after telling you "no", and maybe throw in a ban for good measure if you keep derailing.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Squire Grooktook

Well, IIRC I was fairly active on SRK nearly 2-4 years before getting into shmups, and I don't really see a difference. I've also been told to fuck off a few times offering unsolicited opinions on what games were shit and what weren't. In retrospective, I recognize that I was being abrasive, and I don't blame them for their responses.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Fuck off Squire. :x
clippa wrote: it would perhaps have been nice if we could at least have started on the canapés before bananaman wiped his arse on the curtains :D
but that's the nature of discussion forums, we should welcome all opinions, especially the ones we disagree with.
Hahah :mrgreen:

I'm just waiting for the day Banana fires a spread pattern over his monitor cause SDOJ is announced or something..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Squire Grooktook

Blinge wrote:Fuck off Squire. :x
Ah, I suddenly remember my old sig

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Blinge wrote: I'm just waiting for the day Banana fires a spread pattern over his monitor cause SDOJ is announced or something..
not after the last 3 shitty ports
monouchi wrote:Where did the massive laser go in SDOJ?
360 arrange, type D has the level 1-5 hyper laser as big as level 6-10 on the regular ships and the 6-10 hyper laser becomes massive
Cagar wrote:As much as I hate reddit, I have to admit that it has the most active Street Fighter discussion so I browse it.
now imagine if 90% of the players played fighters by randomly mashing and not having any interest in discussing the mechanics and learning the game and the remaining 10% would be scattered across 50+ games with 1 active player per game or 2 if you're lucky
the most meaningful discussion you would get is how much you want to get your skull crushed by chun li's thighs or how badly you want to lick juri's feet

or rather imagine shmups if we had 5-6 main, well established games/series that basically everyone would be playing and would be interested in the mechanics/getting better at least at a basic survival level, disregarding score entirely

I've been learning dodonpachi for the last 2 weeks but there is really no reason to start a discussion about it because barely anyone understands the game beyond pick c-s and spam bombs, so it wouldn't even be a discussion

meanwhile FGC guys discuss balance, personal experience with the characters, matchups, new people actually ask for specific advice, etc., stuff you could discuss for years as long as the game is active
if you're trying to meaningfully discuss stuff about a 20 minutes long game with almost no story while ignoring the entire reason why the game has depth that could lead to serious discussion, all you'll get after the initial release month is shitposting, memes and complaining about anime girls
if it's a re-release like dfk, all you'll get is some port quality discussion and then go straight into the memes on day 1

you won't revive a genre by getting more games when no one gives a shit about the current ones
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phase3

Post by phase3 »

Bananamatic wrote: I've been learning dodonpachi for the last 2 weeks but there is really no reason to start a discussion about it because barely anyone understands the game beyond pick c-s and spam bombs, so it wouldn't even be a discussion
Pardon the serious question, but is this actually the case? I was under the impression DDP was one of the more played and well understood games that's regularly discussed here. It seems a bit presumptuous to me that you would avoid bringing it up for the reasons given because it's one of the few games that would provoke actual conversation. I don't know this to be the case, however, so maybe the assumption is a well founded one.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

phase3 wrote:i was under the impression DDP was one of the more played and well understood games that's regularly discussed here.
Which is exactly why there's not much new discussion about it. There's enough you can glean from past discussions and replays to get you very far on your own, and the game's simple enough that it's easy to understand what other people are doing and what you yourself need to do.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
phase3

Post by phase3 »

Ah, makes sense. Is it fair to say "no one really understands the game," then? This time I'm only asking rhetorically.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Bananamatic wrote: because barely anyone understands the game beyond pick c-s and spam bombs, so it wouldn't even be a discussion
Shmups are hard, bro. :|
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

Let's talk more about what an easy scrub clear this game is. I was getting excited for a minute there.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Anyway, I'd like to point out a bug in Arrange A which prevents me from playing the entire mode, it's possible in the 360 port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WeM26hlyeQ

If anyone wants to try and replicate this, knock yourself out, but I don't know if it still works in the English release.

So basically in this video, I'm hard-locking the game in Arrange A which forces me to turn off my 360. This is done by pressing and holding auto (almost always), shot (= laser, think of it as holding shot in touhou and then focusing on top of), and trying to activate hyper and change styles at once.

If this doesn't make much sense, it's basically like this: as soon as you get the hyper in Arrange A, you're supposed to switch to trigger it and switch to the correct Normal/Boost style. Hypering and changing while holding auto and shot seem to freeze the game. If you stop holding auto/shot to press a button to activate hyper, and another button to switch styles, it's detrimental to your hit counter.

I mentioned this to Van (Van_Artic) once and he couldn't replicate it, but I've replicated it on a different 360, with different 360 controllers, even different controllers entirely through adapters (ie. PS2 Saturn pad). Someone else mentioned this issue once but I can't remember their name.

I'm not sure if this will even exist in the PC release, but if it does, I'll soon know.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

I've heard people mention that glitch more than a few times, actually. Even in this very thread:
Bananamatic wrote:
STGAlmond wrote: Hasn't the other CAVE ports had the same issues at launch that they had on xbox360? Based on that what could we expect from DFK at launch?
input lag and arrange A crashing if you press too many buttons at once
If they were to fix that, it would be the first time a Cave PC port's better than the original.

I kinda want to try it later today, when I get home, and let you know. But A) it's useless, as I just mentioned someone who encountered it, and B) more likely than not, you do not want to wait 7 hours at best.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cagar wrote:There are often threads like "OMG I FINALLY DID IT!! I HIT THE BRONZE RANK!!" which is the equivalent of "OMG I FINALLY REACHED STAGE 3 IN KETSUI!!", and those people are still congratulated and told to keep playing instead of "Yeah that's nothing, fuck off lmao" or " :roll: " emotes, what you would mostly see here.
Links please. That sounds totally out of character for this forum. Show us these elitist pricks.

edit: I actually do remember at least once incident of score-trashing. Thing is, the trasher was roundly dogpiled despite his own considerable achievements. Isolated incidents widely condemned sounds a lot more realistic.
Okay, what I'm trying to say, that people should try to identify the cause behind these 'stupid remarks', and the reason could be:
1. Really being immature
2. Posting illogically because of being blinded by enthusiasm/excitement
and in both of these cases I would, again, suggest acknowledging it and ignoring it instead of replying like an asshole, which sadly seems to be the norm here.

Of course, there's the third option, which is just not giving proper thought to your own posts and/or accidentally derailing (without it having anything to do with 1. and 2.), and in these cases call outs are obviously fine.
I agree, sometimes you need to call out an ignorance of the matter at hand. Even then however, I believe you should always give the other party a chance to show some humility, and respond graciously if they do. Image
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

Thanks Cagar and others who have given me a bit of backup here. Much appreciated. I think we represent everyone who has ever spent time on this forum and then left in disgust, only diff is that we are prepared to speak up about it.

I think it's funny being called arrogant for saying how I think things should be, by a bunch of dudes who spend their life criticising developers' games for not being as difficult as they think they should be ^_^

The FGC is instructive again here. 3rd Strike was made in the exact same arcade era as Garou MOW, Battle Garrega, Dodonpachi, DOJ and Ketsui. The FGC have long ago come to terms with the fact that 3rd Strike and Garou MOW are classic games with amazing mechanics but they are too hard to be accessible. Capcom and (to a lesser extent) SNK have since made their games easier to play without sacrificing depth, and have reaped the reward with a thriving FG community who fully support each new release.

I think DDPR is a step in the same direction- it is easier to play without sacrificing depth if you want to score.

I get that you don't need human opponents for shmups, but is that really an excuse for refusing to move with the times and get behind more modern games with broader appeal, not to mention people who want to play them?

With great power comes great responsibility- a message that seem lost on the 'senior' players in this particular 'community'.
#STG4WD>>
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Bananamatic wrote:360 arrange, type D has the level 1-5 hyper laser as big as level 6-10 on the regular ships and the 6-10 hyper laser becomes massive.
Thanks.
Havent played that much 360 arrange as I am still struggling with Arcade.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

STG4WD wrote:[...]The FGC is instructive again here. 3rd Strike was made in the exact same arcade era as Garou MOW, Battle Garrega, Dodonpachi, DOJ and Ketsui. The FGC have long ago come to terms with the fact that 3rd Strike and Garou MOW are classic games with amazing mechanics but they are too hard to be accessible. Capcom and (to a lesser extent) SNK have since made their games easier to play without sacrificing depth, and have reaped the reward with a thriving FG community who fully support each new release.
i talked with literally hundreds of FGC people about the 2 aforementioned games within the years and everyone hates them
i dunno where you pulled this from, but ya lost me mate

sure they look pretty but thats not the point
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

STG4WD wrote:Thanks Cagar and others who have given me a bit of backup here. Much appreciated. I think we represent everyone who has ever spent time on this forum and then left in disgust, only diff is that we are prepared to speak up about it.

I think it's funny being called arrogant for saying how I think things should be, by a bunch of dudes who spend their life criticising developers' games for not being as difficult as they think they should be ^_^
Christ alive, you're insufferable.