WIP Arena Shooter: War Angels (images)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Fost

WIP Arena Shooter: War Angels (images)

Post by Fost »

Apologies for this semi-pimping of one of our games, but I thought it would be of interest to people in the dev forum.

In progress Arena Shooter 'Factor X 2' was previously mentioned on these forums, as looking very good indeed. Since then, I got talking with Hamish McLeod who was developing it, and we (at Moonpod) will be publishing the game under its new name 'War Angels'.

Anyway :) the reason I mention it, is that Hamish has just written his first development diary entry. War Angels is being developed in Blitz 3D, and what impressed us most (in fact it completely bowled us over when we got our hands on a test version) were the amazing weapon effects.

You can read Hamish' first diary entry here (scroll down to the third post - first 2 are for our other game which isn't a shooter of any sort). We also have a forum section that Hamish is involved in (and also has an introduction to the game) here:
http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewforum.php?f=18

ImageImage
Nick Moonpod Games
Have an Arcade near you? List its games at the Arcade Locator
Fost

Post by Fost »

It's Video Time! We put together some footage from level 1 and you can download it here (Warning! 23 meg, mpeg.)

Hamish also has a diary entry up here
(third post from top, first game discussed is not a shooter.) explaining how the game has now moved from 2D backdrops to 3D. Here's a new pic:

and a comparison of the old 2D maps with the new 3D ones:

Nick Moonpod Games
kemical

Post by kemical »

the move to 3d looks excellent!
landshark

Post by landshark »

That looks quite nice.
oNyx

Post by oNyx »

Saw the first screenies some months ago. The move to 3d backgrounds was certainly the right decision. Looks damn nice.

I just wish there would be some zombies :D
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

Effects are excellent, nice environment, good camera shaking and sounds... Looks like a fun game. :-)

I like dev diaries. Read your post too. I didn't know about the shortcuts finally being user-definable in PS.. or else i haven't given it enough notice. anyhow, that's good info.

P.S. in the video one of the player characters looks a bit like Link... only with a machine gun :P
Fost

Post by Fost »

oNyx wrote:I just wish there would be some zombies :D
One thing Hamish has said, is that once the game is complete, it should be relatively simple to add one off levels (that aren't part of the overall campaign) as fun little one-offs.

Surely zombies overrunning the city should be top of the list :) All We need is a zombie enemy, and the ability to quadruple the gore level ;)
Nick Moonpod Games
Fost

Post by Fost »

Some updated images from this month's dev diary.
and also a few samples of the music :)

Machinae Supremacy

War Angels will feature music from the awesome swedish band Machinae Supremacy (they made the music for Jets N Guns),

Here's two short song samples of the music for War Angels:

Panzerfaust (39 Second Sample)
Lightning War (28 Second Sample)

If you're interested in hearing more from the band they have a huge amount of songs available on their site, specifically the discography section.

Making Level 2

Here are some screenshots of the map in action - the level's not completely detailed, but hopefully detailed enough for it to look good.

Image Image

Image Image

New Enemies

A new map wouldn't be complete without new enemies to go with it, and here are the most significant ones I've brought in for Level 2:

ImageMechs have been in the game since as long as I remember, and now I've finally finished them off so they can appear in this map. There's two varieties, the weaker conscript mech which will appear in this mission (pictured), and a stronger Nazi mech with a deadlier selection of weapons which include a chaingun, a flamethrower, a missile launcher and a laser beam. You'll also be able to pilot one at some point in the game which you can see briefly in my last dev diaries video.
ImageThese autonomous turrets differ from the norm in that it's usually easier to avoid them than attack them. If you step through their laser detector, or fire at them, they'll retaliate with a burst of highly accurate gunfire. I've been using them to provide some variety to level 2 by breaking it up into small "nazi sections" and "turret sections", one which has you shooting up enemies and the other has you dodging laser beams. There won't be any undestroyable enemies in this game though, so they can be dispatched if you have enough heavy weaponry.
ImageThe patrol bots from the first level can now be fitted with gravity generators instead of grenade launchers. These guys will drive up to you and deploy, creating a strong gravitational field around them pulling you in. I came up with this one when one of my friends was running through the first level, and pointed out that you didn't need to fight any of the enemies - you could run past them all to the end without them being able to catch you. With this enemy is place that strategy is going to be alot less effective. I like the idea of enemies who do things to you other than take off your health so expect to see more like this one.
Nick Moonpod Games
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

looks incredible. can't wait for release.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Middlemoor

Post by Middlemoor »

Will it have multiplayer support?
"Just one more game..."
Fost

Post by Fost »

Middlemoor wrote:Will it have multiplayer support?
Unlikely with version 1, but we are hoping to have co-op. Since the actual gameplay supports this, it's something we are really keen on. I know lack of multiplayer is a real shame, and if you'd seen some of the initial work Hamish did on that you'd probably be tearing your hair out (It looked very cool).

Sadly, Hamish is a one-man band as far as War Angels goes, and he has an absolute ton on his plate. There's only so much one man can do (although when it's Hamish you are talking about, that's quite a lot.) We are actually hoping that War Angels might be the kind of game that can be updated well into the future and have a community built round it, but we'll have to see how Hamish gets by. Once Mark and I (the other 2 developers at Moonpod) finish the game we are working on, I'm hoping we can come up with more ways to support what Hamish is doing.

Games that get a lot of feedback, updates and community support are something we are really into right now. We kind of dropped the ball on the one with our first game, Starscape, in that it was written in a way that is very difficult to update. We'd just come from mainstream development, where you generally fire a game out the door and forget about it - The community response to Starscape was a real surprise, and we constantly wish the game had been designed in a more data-driven way. Whilst we still release updates (and even have another in the works) we could have done so much more if the game had been built round that in the first place.

Incidentally, we welcome ideas and feedback about War Angels (in fact, it's like gold dust for us!) - feel free to post any musings in our dedicated War Angels board:
http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewforum.php?f=18

Hamish reads there, whereas I don't think he hangs out on shmups much.
Nick Moonpod Games