Shmup with shopping system

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KoolKool993

Shmup with shopping system

Post by KoolKool993 »

Please recommend me any Shmup with shopping system where you can buy things before entering new stage

i played Jet n Gun, so anything similar and more bullet,harder? oh, better graphic too!

thank you!

i'm not hardcore 1CC ,just a casual guy!
Kiken

Re: Shmup with shopping system

Post by Kiken »

Off the top of my head, shmups with in-game shops:

Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Trouble Witches
Forgotten Worlds
Last edited by Kiken on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Graphics really shouldn't be that high on your list.

Tyrian, which inspired Jets n Guns, has pixelated graphics, but has a shop system, and is all around amazing. Not to mention it's completely free and open source as of roughly 2006

Forgotten Worlds is a cool arcade game that offers shops during each stage instead of between, and can be found in a few of the Capcom Classics collections. I'm not sure if you can buy it as a standalone on any of the digital consoles, though.

There are plenty of shmups with a wide variety of weapons and ships, but as far as I know, actual shops are some of the lesser seen features in shmups. I hope you decide to play more, as there are tons of amazing shmups out there.

I myself am not as "hardcore" as some of the other members here, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying them.

Edit: Oh my god, how could I forget Raptor?!
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Never played Jets n Guns, so I don't know how hard that game is or isn't, or even what it looks like.

Lords of Thunder has a shop before each stage, in addition to selecting an armor (shot type), and also lets you play the first six stages in any order. Mind you, none of the things you buy are permanent upgrades, and are not saved between playthroughs.
If you want hard, the PC-Engine version has Super mode, with lots of suicide/revenge bullets. The Sega CD version is easier, due to no revenge bullets and over-powered sword attack. The PC-Engine version can be bought off of the Wii's Virtual Console.

Ginga Force (Xbox 360) has a shop system where the upgrades are permanent, and can be mixed-and-matched before playing each stage. You'll probably need to check out Pestro's translation guide on this forum if you want to have any idea what you're buying, though.
Lord Satori wrote:Forgotten Worlds is a cool arcade game that offers shops during each stage instead of between, and can be found in a few of the Capcom Classics collections. I'm not sure if you can buy it as a standalone on any of the digital consoles, though.
In-stage shops also happen in Trouble Witches, Fantasy Zone, and I believe Ordyne as well.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Magical Chase, Area 88/U.N. Squadron, U.S. Navy/Carrier Air Wing, Hani in the Sky, Super Airwolf/Crossfire and Xenon 2 Megablast (as well as the rest of the Fantasy Zone series, not just the first game) also come to mind. Do yourself a favour and skip Super Airwolf as well as Xenon 2 Megablast, though. Hani in the Sky is one of the weirdest shmups out there, but depending on one's taste it might be enjoyable. Magical Chase on the other hand is genuinely great.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Macross 2036 on PCE-CD. Well, you pick one sub-weapon between stages but I would think that qualifies.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Stargunner (DOS, free on GOG I think)
Battle Chopper/Mr. Heli
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Mr Heli has shopping but you are better off buying only one or two upgrades haha, the rank gets pretty annoying if you buy many upgrades.
seraph

Post by seraph »

Raiden.
AlexSkylark

Post by AlexSkylark »

The one that sptrings to mind is Tyrian, I suppose... was it already mentioned in this topic? hahah

Well, I guess Tyrian is a game that's never undermentioned in any topic =P
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Alpha Mission II: shop between stages, or screw waiting and push button 3 whenever you feel like it.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

X-Out
Disposable Hero
1993: The Space Machine
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

just collect pcbs, it has a shopping system and all the casuals love it
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

Jamestown sort of has that, although that's more to unlock content permanently, rather something incorporated into the game itself.

Trouble Witches has shops.
Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

Ginga force!!!
FRO

Post by FRO »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Fantasy Zone games yet. Fantasy Zone and its SMS sequel, as well as Fantasy Zone Gear for the Game Gear, all employ a shop where you can buy additional upgrades to your ship. Weapon power-ups are only temporary, but upgrades to your ships engine, bomb type, etc. are generally with you until you die.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Crimson Clover (both versions) and Danmaku Unlimited 2 (never played the first one) technically have shops, but not exactly the same sense mentioned in the OP.

Also, has this guy even looked at this thread since his post? Most people post a thank you when requesting something and are given an answer in abundance. :|
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Crimzon Clover has an unlock shop but I don't recall Crimzon Clover: World Ignition having one. You unlock the Type Z ship at 3 million stars but that's it. Stellavanity has an unlock shop similar to Crimzon Clover's, as do Kyomu no Otome and QP Shooting - Dangerous!! (maybe Sora and Suguri too, I can't remember). Those, however, are different from the in-game shops OP is thinking of.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Dreamcast port of Mars Matrix has a shop to buy stuff as well. With the proper GameShark codes, everything can be unlocked/accessed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BIL

Post by BIL »

Forgotten Worlds has the cutest shopkeeper waifu ¦3 I get all the big coins to impress her with my big guns! Medikits are for chumps, if you're buying them you fuckin suck and won't impress her!
KoolKool993

Post by KoolKool993 »

Lord Satori wrote:
Also, has this guy even looked at this thread since his post? Most people post a thank you when requesting something and are given an answer in abundance. :|

dude! i am busy with work,not fapping all day with computer! my apologize!

thank you guy for recommendations, as long as those games can be played in PC or through emulator....then i will try one by one

i still hope a shmup with Crysis-like graphics with shopping system....
because i have played Sina Mora, it's shiny look i love, but gameplay and soundtrack are pretty terrible for my taste
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

There are two games that have decent 3D graphics and a shopping system that you're looking for, but I can't for the life of me remember the correct name. You see, these games were released back when Reflexive published other indie games besides their own, and you could find them all on one site. The games I'm thinking of were just two of them.

After Reflexive published their breakout game Ricochet on PSN, I guess they decided they didn't need anyone else and cancelled the system they had.

I've found them among other shmups like Air Strike 3D re-released for free as adware under different names. No idea if it's legal or not...

Anyway, if I remember the name I'll edit the post with it.

Edit: Astro Avenger! That's it. Astro Avenger I and II! I don't really remember what the gameplay was like, though. I haven't played them in a while, and might be looking at them through rose-tinted lenses and all that.

There's a ton of neat shmups lesser known by this community, though. I wish I could remember more of them.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

There are two games that have decent 3D graphics and a shopping system that you're looking for, but I can't for the life of me remember the correct name. You see, these games were released back when Reflexive published other indie games besides their own, and you could find them all on one site. The games I'm thinking of were just two of them.
There are many more 3D shmups with shopping system back in the Reflexive/Gamehouse era aside of Astro Avenger and its sequel.

Some Galaga-likes including Warblade have shopping system I recall.

Some more:
Revolution Ace (uses Unreal 3 albeit hardly looks pretty IMO, somewhat inspired by Raptor and has online multiplayer from what I heard)
Astro Menace, a shareware shmup made available for free a couple of years ago: http://www.viewizard.com/astromenace/index.php
KoolKool993

Post by KoolKool993 »

ah yes,thanks!

Astro Avenger,Air Strike... i have played 2
everything become so much easier when you have high end weapon and armor! just blow up everything without thinking!

and.....also...i'm looking for the stable version of Raptor Call of Shadow

so there are 3 versions on Steam, 1994,2010,2015...

which one should i choose?

look at those down votes complain about bugs made me really hesitate
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Forgotten Worlds is probably the best example, for a game with a pure arcade structure. Perhaps Lords of Thunder might come in second, though there might be other examples I'm forgetting.

Ginga Force is "a euroshmup done right", and so also fits into this category quite well.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

KoolKool993 wrote: so there are 3 versions on Steam, 1994,2010,2015...
There are 4 actually, the other one was Win98 port but that version isn't available on Steam.

1994 is the original DOS version, 2010 was the first "remaster" version released by DotEmu on GoG, it's a Windows port with extra HQ sprite filter option and higher resolutions support. 2015 is the 2010 version released on Steam, only with added Steam achievements.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

The cartoon world of "Ordyne" has flying shops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordyne

EDIT:
thanks mamboFoxtrot
xy2_

Post by xy2_ »

'Techno Sylph - Vsys Garden' (full name); although not a shopping system in the traditional sense of the term.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Does the Gradius power meter count as a "shopping" system? You get to "buy" upgrades as you play the game using the capsules you collect.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^I like to think of it as a miniature rpg leveling system, expertly interpreted into a no frills arcade environment.

Backing this up, a developer interview says that table top rpg's were becoming popular in Japan at the time, and it was inspired by the general concept of "character building".

Of note, they also said they wanted to do branching paths within the game, which would have completed the interpretation of role playing adventure into a tightly woven action space odyssey. IIRC Time/technical constraints forced them to drop the idea sadly, but the exact concept was later employed by the Darius saga.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.