CPS2 and 4:3 aspect ratio monitors

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dave_K.

CPS2 and 4:3 aspect ratio monitors

Post by Dave_K. »

So I own a few CPS2 shooters, and have this problem with them looking stretched out when I adjust the picture to fit the width of my monitor (vertically oriented monitor in this case). When using the test menu, if I adjust the grid so that they are perfectly square, I'm left with gaps on the left and right of the display. Is this they way they were intented to be played in the arcades?
parodius

Post by parodius »

Nope. They do look stretched out in the arcades.

Try any IGS PGM hardware based PCB, it's even worse.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Stefan_L

Re: CPS2 and 4:3 aspect ratio monitors

Post by Stefan_L »

Dave_K. wrote:vertically oriented monitor in this case. When using the test menu, if I adjust the grid so that they are perfectly square, I'm left with gaps on the left and right of the display.
There should not be any gaps on the sides, the picture should cover the whole screen, otherwise it's not 4:3... or 3:4 when it's vertical.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

parodius wrote:Nope. They do look stretched out in the arcades.

Try any IGS PGM hardware based PCB, it's even worse.
I think you may have made this same comment to me in the past. I have several cave/IGS based boards, and it looks to me like the graphics were created with this oblong pixel size in mind. But the CPS2 ones definately have issues.
Dave_K.

Re: CPS2 and 4:3 aspect ratio monitors

Post by Dave_K. »

Stefan_L wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:vertically oriented monitor in this case. When using the test menu, if I adjust the grid so that they are perfectly square, I'm left with gaps on the left and right of the display.
There should not be any gaps on the sides, the picture should cover the whole screen, otherwise it's not 4:3... or 3:4 when it's vertical.
Exactly, this is why I'm asking, if the graphics were constructed with square pixels, and the CPS2 video outputs oblong pixels at this strange resolution, then it looks to me like CPS2 was ment to be played on 16:9 (or 9:16 in my case) display device. I find this hard to believe.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I'm playing through a supergun, but when I run some CPS-2 games in MAME, the window at the beginning does specify some strange resolution...
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

I can see Ketsui or DOJ is stretched out if you fill the entire monitor. Are you saying that the developers meant for the game to be played this way?
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Valgar wrote:I can see Ketsui or DOJ is stretched out if you fill the entire monitor. Are you saying that the developers meant for the game to be played this way?
Funny, as I don't see DOJ or Ketsui as looking stretched when displayed in full on my arcade monitor. But Dimahoo, definately looks stretched.
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

The "is CPS2 widescreen?" question is very common because many are fooled by the resolution of it, Capcom used this resolution for their CPS1 games also and even the old "Side Arms" use it.
But they are all ment to display on a 4:3 or 3:4 screens. The grid in the test menu is there so operators could adjust the monitors to make it fill the screen with gamegraphics... making sure there is no black gaps on the sides.

I dont think there is any 2d-system arcadehardware that have any games made for 16:9?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Stefan_L wrote: I dont think there is any 2d-system arcadehardware that have any games made for 16:9?
If you do the math, normal lowres of 320x240 = 4:3 aspect exactly. But CPS2's strange resolution of 384x224 = just about (but not exactly) 16:9 aspect. So unless the in game graphics were created with this oblong pixel format in mind for 4:3 displays, the graphics actually display correctly with square pixels at 16:9 aspect.

After discussing on the other thread with Recap, it may be the case where non-capcom developed games for CPS2 could have originally been created with square pixels (or parts of the game). I at least believe Dimahoo is one of these. I think Progear also looks best with square pixels.
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

Dave_K. wrote: the graphics actually display correctly with square pixels at 16:9 aspect.
Thats your personal opinion and i can accept that, but still the true aspect ratio for all CPS2 (and CPS1) games are 4:3.
I seriosly doubt that any CPS2 game has been designed for 16:9 ratio, at least i wont belive it until proof from developers appear.