2600RGB - Video upgrade kit for the Atari 2600

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RGB32E

2600RGB - Video upgrade kit for the Atari 2600

Post by RGB32E »

Description

This is a modification board for the Atari 2600 which adds audio/video outputs to this console which has only a modulated RF output available normally. It improves the picture quality and makes it easier to connect to modern TV sets that no longer have an analog tuner.

It works in a similar manner to the NESRGB board. That is, it sits between the CPU and TIA (the name of the Atari graphics chip) and stores the data which meant to be written to the TIA palette registers. The TIA is fed with dummy colours instead. The various luma outputs from the TIA, in addition to the colour data stored is then used to create a RGB version of the original video signal. Essentially, the board creates the RGB video signal by bypassing the colour generation logic in the TIA. The video timing is unchanged.

With an extra button installed into the joystick, the user can control the Select and Reset switches, as well as change the palette and pause the console. These extra features are optional, but recommended as it removes the need to sit next to the console (within reach of the reset switch) when playing.

The board may be installed into all models of Atari 2600. The 2600jr model installation is much more difficult than the others because the reduced height of the console makes it impossible to install directly over the TIA spot on the motherboard.

Features

•RGB, S-Video, and Composite Video outputs
•Audio output
•Six different colour palettes (three NTSC, three PAL) to choose from. The palette may be selected with and extra button installed on either the console or on the controller.
•Switches between PAL and NTSC palettes automatically by detecting 50/60 Hz output.
•Palettes may be modified by the user (requires a serial EEPROM programmer).
•Supplied with a switching power supply board, audio/video connectors, push-button switch, and other assorted bits that may be required for installation.
•If the extra button is installed on the controller, it can be used to activate Select and Reset remotely, as well as change the palette.
•Easy installation if the TIA is already in a socket.

Installation

Six switch Atari 2600 (soon)
Four switch Atari 2600
Atari 2600jr (soon)

Download the wiring diagram. See the installation guides for specific details.

Where to buy

Buy from etim online shop (Australia/International), etim US distributor section (United States).

URL - http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/
Last edited by RGB32E on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CkRtech

Re: 2600RGB - Video upgrade kit for the Atari 2600

Post by CkRtech »

Ahh. And who told you about this? :mrgreen:

I may upgrade my S-Video 2600 to RGB. Not sure, honestly. Would love to RGB my XEGS!
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Very interesting. I've never actually owned an Atari 2600. Maybe I should pick one up along with this mod and a flash cart.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I'm in.

Hopefully intellivision and colecovision are next =)
antron

Post by antron »

Wow, fantastic! I currently have a mod board that sits under the TIA, but I think it's just a resistor type video tap. Will upgrade.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

viletim wrote:With an extra button installed into the joystick, the user can control the Select and Reset switches, as well as change the palette and pause the console. These extra features are optional, but recommended as it removes the need to sit next to the console (within reach of the reset switch) when playing.
Perhaps a Genesis controller can be used for the extra buttons instead of modifying a 2600 controller?
Artemio wrote:Hopefully intellivision and colecovision are next =)
I was wondering if Tim's AV-DRIVER could be utilized for component video modding the Colecovision? A CPLD/FPGA solution would likely yield a cleaner signal though.
Last edited by RGB32E on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corredor X

Post by Corredor X »

Will the mod bypass all video "processing" (don't know if it's the right name) from the console, completely ignoring the original video circuit? I'm asking this because I have the most unusual console revision that was released in Brazil, the infamous rev.16:

It was one of the first batches of Ataris released here, so they just converted an USA board to PAL-M - soon after that, they started producing their own boards. As you can see, there's a big circuit added to it to change the video output, but here's the funny part: I couldn't find a way to convert it back to NTSC when I tried to install a s-video mod on it. It seems that Polyvox changed other components around the main board, some resistors are missing around the messy wire area, but even replacing them with the right values didn't work, image was B/W when you took out the extra board and changed the crystal to a NTSC one. I ended giving up and buying an NTSC Atari Jr to install the s-video mod on it, but I would love to change my old console to RGB, since it's my childhood unit (first console ever!). So, could it be modded using Tim's new board?
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Corredor X wrote:It was one of the first batches of Ataris released here, so they just converted an USA board to PAL-M
Provided the TIA chip itself is the same in your system, it seems like your earlier S-Video mod would have been able to basically restore the machine to the original USA configuration if you had the original component values - either from a schematic or someone with the pre-modded USA NTSC board.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Looks great. But RGB? I want component, dammit! My CRT does RF, composite, and component. No s-video.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Triple Lei wrote:Looks great. But RGB? I want component, dammit! My CRT does RF, composite, and component. No s-video.
LOL! Looks like the kit has the 5 holes for a NESRGB-Component add-on board. Don't fret! :mrgreen:
Corredor X

Post by Corredor X »

CkRtech wrote:Provided the TIA chip itself is the same in your system, it seems like your earlier S-Video mod would have been able to basically restore the machine to the original USA configuration if you had the original component values - either from a schematic or someone with the pre-modded USA NTSC board.
Yeah, the TIA is the US one, I changed the resistors using a schematic I found online, but it didn't work. At the time, I made some posts on several online forums and sites to see if someone could help me, but I got no replies that could solve it. That's why I hope this new mod can ignore those modifications and the color signal altogether. If not, I'll end modding the Jr.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Triple Lei wrote:Looks great. But RGB? I want component, dammit! My CRT does RF, composite, and component. No s-video.
Good thing is that you can get any signal from rgb =)
FBX

Post by FBX »

I'm totally down for this. I have a rather nice Atari collection, but I hardly ever play it because I cannot stand the 'hell's pitchforks' video output.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Yurkie, Tim's US distributor, started a thread for the 2600RGB last Thursday!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240599 ... ?p=3279029

As far as pricing goes, it looks to be more affordable than the NESRGB!
Yurkie wrote:The tentative price will be $70 AUD + $5 AUD shipping. Which currently is $55.56 in US dollars.
It's cool to see this. :)
Yurkie wrote:Tim Worthington the brilliant developer of the NESRGB mod board that has sold nearly 2000 units worldwide
zakruowrath

Post by zakruowrath »

That is beautiful! I knew there had to be a way to get that information from the TIA and create a board like the NESRGB, you engineers are simply amazing :D

Now I know the 7800 was talked about on the AtariAge fourms, and I'm willing to bet it would be a bit more challenging being it has two separate video processors. Maybe Tim could develop a board that does the same thing as the 2600 board with the TIA but also adds the 7800 MARIA processor on board as well and when in 7800 mode it keeps the TIA active for only sound and uses the MARIA for graphics. Sounds like it can be done, maybe in the next couple of years, one can dream :)

Also I'm thinking if the RF cord hole is large enough that you could just have a DIN internally or have it directly wired to the board and have it come out like the original RF cord did except now it's a SCART RGB cord. I wouldn't mind having a DIN mounted somewhere, however for those that don't want to modify the original case a lot, it could be an option.

Glad to finally see this become a reality, an Atari with real RGB colours after all these years.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Looks like i need to do some upgrades to my S-video atari.

Tim does it again. great. Im glad to see this kit.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

zakruowrath wrote:Also I'm thinking if the RF cord hole is large enough that you could just have a DIN internally or have it directly wired to the board and have it come out like the original RF cord did except now it's a SCART RGB cord. I wouldn't mind having a DIN mounted somewhere, however for those that don't want to modify the original case a lot, it could be an option.
For the record, the plastic on the Atari 2600 is extremely brittle. I installed a Longhorn Engineer S-video in mine years back and used Forstner bits to drill the holes for the panel mount.

I'll go on record as pretty much saying "don't use twist drill bits" if you panel mount ports on your Atari 2600.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

This is awesome!
Are there any pictures of it in action? This thread needs more RGB pr0n.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Holy shit, and the day before my birthday no less! Now I've finally got a use for the spare 4-switch system I keep in storage...
CkRtech wrote:Would love to RGB my XEGS!
You can get the VBXE mod, which adds RGB output and expands the graphics capabilities of the A8: http://bit.ly/1CWj3Sr
Yurkie on AtariAge offers RGB-modded ColecoVisions and juice2839 has RGB-modded Intellivisions that he occasionally sells on eBay. Both refuse to offer DIY kits though which is ridiculous.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

ApolloBoy wrote:Yurkie on AtariAge offers RGB-modded ColecoVisions and juice2839 has RGB-modded Intellivisions that he occasionally sells on eBay. Both refuse to offer DIY kits though which is ridiculous.
Yes, know about those. But since I live in Mexico, shipping the consoles both ways is a no go.

Besides, I already modded my atari for s-video and colecovision/intv to composite. Would buy kits for them in a heart beat, just as I'll buy the vcs one from Tim.
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

I thought only the PAL Intellivision could be RGB-modded anyway.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

papa_november wrote:I thought only the PAL Intellivision could be RGB-modded anyway.
Not without using an FPGA or CPLD anyway. I believe that's what juice2893's mod uses but he's really secretive about his mods. I believe he also developed the Coleco RGB mod but that's actually just an internal component to RGB converter. RetroRGB posted some pics of it on his page but the two main chips that the circuit is based around are covered in epoxy (!).
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

ApolloBoy wrote:Not without using an FPGA or CPLD anyway. I believe that's what juice2893's mod uses but he's really secretive about his mods.
If 8 bits total are enough for the RGB output (e.g. 3 bits R, 3 bits G, 2 bits B) then it could even work with an EPROM, but a CPLD looks like a more reasonable solution. An FPGA is probably overkill for such a mod, unless you also want to line-double the output to something VGA-like and keep the parts count down.

(Disclaimer: Information gathered from a quick look at the datasheets of the ICs and a thread on atariage, no plans to actually build anything since I do not own an Intellivision)
I believe he also developed the Coleco RGB mod but that's actually just an internal component to RGB converter.
That appears to be quite likely since the graphics chip in the Colecovision seems output analog component video only.
viletim

Post by viletim »

RGB32E wrote:
viletim wrote:With an extra button installed into the joystick, the user can control the Select and Reset switches, as well as change the palette and pause the console. These extra features are optional, but recommended as it removes the need to sit next to the console (within reach of the reset switch) when playing.
Perhaps a Genesis controller can be used for the extra buttons instead of modifying a 2600 controller?
I designed a little adapter for the Mega Drive controller so it may be used it instead of a modified controller. It won't be available for release... maybe later.
RGB32E wrote:
I was wondering if Tim's AV-DRIVER could be utilized for component video modding the Colecovision? A CPLD/FPGA solution would likely yield a cleaner signal though.
I know! I'll get around to testing this eventually.

I have no current plans for RGB mods for these two consoles. I think the Intellivision would be fairly easy, but I'm put off by the limited palette of only 16 colours and bad controller.
Corredor X wrote:It was one of the first batches of Ataris released here, so they just converted an USA board to PAL-M - soon after that, they started producing their own boards. As you can see, there's a big circuit added to it to change the video output, but here's the funny part: I couldn't find a way to convert it back to NTSC when I tried to install a s-video mod on it. It seems that Polyvox changed other components around the main board, some resistors are missing around the messy wire area, but even replacing them with the right values didn't work, image was B/W when you took out the extra board and changed the crystal to a NTSC one. I ended giving up and buying an NTSC Atari Jr to install the s-video mod on it, but I would love to change my old console to RGB, since it's my childhood unit (first console ever!). So, could it be modded using Tim's new board?
Probably. I've received a few questions about unusual/clone versions of hardware. The 2600RGB doesn't use any special secret features of the TIA or anything like that. If it has a TIA inside, it would work. Even a clone TIA should be fine as long as you can work out the pinout.
RGB32E wrote:
LOL! Looks like the kit has the 5 holes for a NESRGB-Component add-on board. Don't fret! :mrgreen:
It does indeed.

zakruowrath wrote: Now I know the 7800 was talked about on the AtariAge fourms, and I'm willing to bet it would be a bit more challenging being it has two separate video processors. Maybe Tim could develop a board that does the same thing as the 2600 board with the TIA but also adds the 7800 MARIA processor on board as well and when in 7800 mode it keeps the TIA active for only sound and uses the MARIA for graphics. Sounds like it can be done, maybe in the next couple of years, one can dream :)
I do plan on making a 7800 version eventually. I think it is possible... I'm not about to attempt it right away. First I need some time to forget how much of a bastard these kind of mods are to develop.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

It's July 31st in Australia and I don't see an update to the shop! :mrgreen:
opt2not wrote:This is awesome!
Are there any pictures of it in action? This thread needs more RGB pr0n.
Looks like Tim shared some over on AtariAge:

http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/screenshots/
philexile

Post by philexile »

Where is the kit's sale page? Isn't August 1st already in Australia?

:D
Skips

Post by Skips »

philexile wrote:Where is the kit's sale page? Isn't August 1st already in Australia?

He purposely gave it out to everyone but you because he knew you wanted it. That and New York.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Skips wrote:
philexile wrote:Where is the kit's sale page? Isn't August 1st already in Australia?

He purposely gave it out to everyone but you because he knew you wanted it. That and New York.
Works for me: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2600

Kit ordered!!! :mrgreen:
viletim

Post by viletim »

I need a bit more time to work on the website. It'll have to wait till tomorrow to go up in the shop.
philexile

Post by philexile »

No problem, thank you, Tim!