From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
evil_ash_xero

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Eaglet wrote:Bought a PS4 with Bloodborne in prep for DS3 a couple of days ago. Is it just me or is this game much easier than the Souls games?
Haven't played any of them since the release of 2 but I've already beat two bosses and only died twice. Both bosses were brought down on first encounter.
I read online afterwards that Gascoigne was supposed to be hard and could be nerfed by a playbox but I didn't pick that up along the way. Just punished him with my firearm and got crits all the way.
"Parrying" is so much easier in this game than it was in the Souls games.
I think the overall assessment (from what I gather), is that it's easier, overall. Some of the bosses, are a bit trickier, than Souls' bosses.

However, the Old Hunters DLC, is hard as nails.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Uhhh anyone who thinks that bb is easier than demon's souls is either kidding themselves or really needs to go and revisit DeS.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

So, I just downloaded the English patch for Shadow Tower: Abyss and spent tonight giving the game a whirl.

Holy shit, this game is amazing. So far, it's easily my favorite game by From; if it continues like this, it's going to be an easy 5 stars for me. Just killed a big-ass lion boss, and got what I think (but am not certain -- and don't spoil me if I'm wrong) is the key to the lift near the start of the game, where the path splits in three ways.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Yep you killed Andre. If you're doing a straight up melee strength or dex build you might as well restart your game imo. Why on earth did you kill him? 
I was trying out a spear that I just equiped. I had to take the dog out and when I put the controller down the dog hit a button and my character stabbed the blacksmith.

Even when I reset he would attack me whenever I was near.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ryu

Post by ryu »

You can make NPCs friendly again by paying a fee (based on your soul level) to Velka (the guy who spawns in the church tower after you beat the gargoyles). Now, that of course won't help you if the guy's dead...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Strider77 wrote: I was trying out a spear that I just equiped. I had to take the dog out and when I put the controller down the dog hit a button and my character stabbed the blacksmith.

Even when I reset he would attack me whenever I was near.
Shoo, something similar happened to me too. Protip : never stand close to an NPC when you leave your controller alone. As said above, while he was alive, you could have paid a fee in the Gargoyle's church to turn him friendly again. Did you unlock another blacksmith somewhere in the game ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Lots of people have beaten Dark Souls w/o understood and made use of weapon upgrades.

You're fine, even without Andre around.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

NG+ may be a different story but I got through just fine without ever bothering to upgrade anything beyond +5, and upgrading to even that came pretty late for me. Killing Andre sucks (he's a cool guy) but it's no game-breaker.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Obscura wrote:So, I just downloaded the English patch for Shadow Tower: Abyss and spent tonight giving the game a whirl.

Holy shit, this game is amazing. So far, it's easily my favorite game by From; if it continues like this, it's going to be an easy 5 stars for me. Just killed a big-ass lion boss, and got what I think (but am not certain -- and don't spoil me if I'm wrong) is the key to the lift near the start of the game, where the path splits in three ways.
this is one of the many reasons that I need to get round to upgrading my pc. I'd really like to be able to play this game.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

English-patched Shadow Tower: Abyss works on a modded PS2 (still cheaper than PC worth emulating PS2 on; in fact, I've just got another one).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Obscura

Post by Obscura »

My PC from 2009 can emulate the game fine under software rendering (ST:A has some lighting issues in hardware rendering in PCSX2). Steady 60FPS.

It was a beast of a machine then, but if a six and a half year old PC can do it, any recent machine that isn't a complete toaster should have no problems.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

my pc is from 2004..... or maybe 05
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i just got a copy of eternal ring through the post today. I don't see this one getting talked about as much as the king's field or shadow tower games, but I'm looking forward to giving it a go. can't really go too far wrong when it cost me £1.75.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Eternal Ring surprised me as first enemy in game is trolling you with moveset :P

oh, and awesome music as ever. well, i really like ps1/ps2 era from software soundtracks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgvnESxvb44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcJ2WRLDuHE
KAI

Post by KAI »

I'm about to clear Dark Soul and I would like to try other From games on the 360. Any recommendation? what is the best Armored Core?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Which Armored Core games have split-screen local multiplayer (and which are co-op at that)?
I've only found recently, reading the manual, that Gundam: Federation vs Zeon (PS2) can be played through in local co-op... and it suddenly seemed like putting the engine to a better use than competing with Virtual-On.

Purchased AC For Answer (PS3*) and Silent Line on impulse. Any reason to play any particular one first? Or is playing 3 before SL, then carrying savestate over that much more recommended? Realistically, there's not a chance of me playing all of the series in chronological order soon. A lot like Tales of... in this regard.

*) I got warned revisions past 1.20 are supposedly glitchy on it.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

KAI wrote:I'm about to clear Dark Soul and I would like to try other From games on the 360. Any recommendation? what is the best Armored Core?
I dunno if you caught the conversation up thread, but V and Verdict day are kind of like pseudo mmo's so I dunno how great they would be to play now as a single player. 4 and For Answer are both great imo, FA was the first AC game I really got into and it's generally the better regarded game, but you might want to play them back to back as they do follow on from each other.

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Purchased AC For Answer (PS3*) and Silent Line on impulse. Any reason to play any particular one first? Or is playing 3 before SL, then carrying savestate over that much more recommended? Realistically, there's not a chance of me playing all of the series in chronological order soon. A lot like Tales of... in this regard.

*) I got warned revisions past 1.20 are supposedly glitchy on it.
the earlier games have a slower, more deliberate style of combat - give them a quick try and see if you prefer that or the fast flashy boost dashes of FA. you're fine to just jump in to SL without playing the other games in the series first.
qmish

Post by qmish »

While the most "true" way would be to play the whole AC series from start to beginning, not everyone would be willing to do such a marathon, though by doing so you'll be a witness how from each game to each game Armored Core has evolved.

From older ones, it's "Master of Arena" and "Silent Line" which are considered the best in franchise, and from newer ones it's "For Answer" or "Verdict Day" depending on reasons.

I haven't played all games in series, but can share what i know:

(PS1) Armored Core - the game that started it all. While some mech designs might be simple here, and you could have a problem with vertical camera (ps1 controls, yeah), it was a very solid start. The most thing that impressesed me though is actual control of mech itself - so smooth and so versatile.
(PS1) Project Phantasma - some people liked it, some hated - controversial opinions.
(PS1) Master of Arena - arena mode was the meat of game, though you had campaign too. And here it introduced ability to train AI of npc mechas.

(PS2) AC2 - rushed release for Playstation 2 debut, clunky in many ways.
(PS2) Another Age - better, and some people seem to have fond memories of it.
(PS2) AC3 - that's where series returned to it's quality. Different new additions: 4-player mp, detachable parts, dual wield, etc. Also, rebalancing of game and much better game engine than in AC2.
(PS2) Silent Line - favourite by many AC fans. And AI training is back and improved.
(PS2) Nexus - it has 2 discs, on 1st disc you have new missions, on 2nd you have remakes of some ps1 ac's missions. As usual, some changes in mechanics and even control scheme (now you can use gamepad like in fps/tps games if you want).
(PS2) Formula Front - strange release. It's like football manager sim - but with mechas. Just more experiments with AI customization.
(PS2) Ninebreaker - another strange release, hated by many. It uses AC Nexus' engine, and it has 150 "training missions" and arena. Yeah, all to prove that you can call yourself a "ninebreaker".
(PS2) Last Raven - in my opinion, it's most badass game in series 8) anyway, well. It has campaign with some twists (as usual, choosing missions in non-linear, so depending on your choices you end up supporting this or that clan and different mission objectives and final bosses), it has arena mode and, of course, multiplayer. Some say LR is the definitive one of you want to play some versus from older ACs. Also, a game can give some nice challenge (especially if you don't import parts from ac3/sl/nexus) :lol: As usual, some changes in mechanics - breaking of parts, rebalanced heat, a bit different physics (master your movement!), more comfortable garage (and you can tune parts here too). Also, From Software worked nice on enemy AI here - the thing it, depending on your current mecha setup, enemies will change their behaviour to counter threats from you.

(PS3/X360) AC4 - new direction of series, yeah.
(PS3/X360) For Answer - really really really epic game, especially because of Arms Fortress. Also has interesting designs provided by different mecha artists.
(PS3/X360) AC5 - huge disappointment for many many players, both fans and non-fans. AC changed direction again - from ultra fast AC4/fA to much slower ?tactical? approach and aimed at online multiplayer.
(PS3/X360) Verdict Day - opinions are controversial, for some it's best game in series, for some it's "same shit as ac5". Anyway it improves many flaws of AC5. As for "campaign or multiplayer" - well, online multiplayer was more important thing in this game as From Software used all experience they had with Chromehounds (if you may remember) and put it here. THOUGH, single player might be enjoyable too espacially if you like going for S rank.

What bothers me is uncertain future of series. From is too busy making Souls-like games to earn $$$.

Ah, and to end my post just two videos i found (note: author's of videos uses another music tracks):

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GK9uzqsW0Q impressive video of sense of speed in for Answer
2) https://youtu.be/H6DZ72ZyvrA recording of match in some aclr tournament from ACU forums. more videos on channel. not sure if they use psp version with emulator and tunneling software as i recall ps2 version has slightly better gfx
KAI

Post by KAI »

Thanks for the asnwers guys. I loved Silent Line and Last Raven (SL's soundtrack is the best in the series IMO). Going for For Answer then.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i just bought last raven, it seems quite hard to come by in the UK, is that the same in the US or elsewhere? can't wait to get stuck into it, I'm on a bit of a from soft binge at the min.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

After a few more days; Bloodborne rocks but it's become a bit too easy since I haven't lost much of any blood echoes and killed most of the bosses on first encounter (shadows of yharnam was easy wtf). Fear I might be over-levelled now but hope that NG+ fixes that.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
qmish

Post by qmish »

DLC bosses (and even enemies) are tougher than most original game ones.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Nice! Just made my way to the big ass castle during the Blood Moon and enemies seem a lot stronger.
This will be fun. :twisted:
Image Image
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Yeah NG+ gives a little too much hp and damage to bosses. They're serious endurance contests. Keep in mind you're almost there though, heheh.

I prefer to try and no-death the NG. I highly recommend giving that a try.

Alternatively, try doing a dex/arcane build. You get some very fun weapons that scale with both (Blades of Mercy), and a huge variety of flashy spell attacks to use. You'll die super fast, but if you're looking for more of a challenge, that might scratch the itch.

Also lastly, there are some very difficult optional bosses that are great fun. Make sure you find your way to Nightmare Frontier, Upper Cathedral Ward (don't be fooled, there are two bosses here, two! and the second one is nuts), and Cainhurst.

I fucking love Bloodborne, in every way. It's a real "desert island game" for me. I really enjoyed the other games, but I'm totally full-on fanboy mode for this one

Oh by the way, Blinge is avoiding spoilers so remember to put anything significant into spoiler tags.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Spoiler
/me reading the last few BB posts. :O Sounds so rad. My post-32bit backlog continues to gain hellish gravity. ;3
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Spoiler
Sorry for not using these before. At Cainhurst now, Amygdala destroyed, upper ward will be explored!
Awesome recommendations, Squire. Thanks. :)
I haven't really been able to form myself a proper opinion of the entire game yet, but I've loved most of what I've gone up against.

Gotta say though, and I'll put this in non spoiler tags, Chalice dungeons seem to suck! I only played through the first one and the only thing I had trouble with was the first boss because no resources. Boss was really bad design for the game engine. Felt like I was playing DS (bait combo, whiff punish, repeat ad nauseam) instead of this.
Image Image
qmish

Post by qmish »

Some prefer playing Dark Arisen content of Dragon's Dogma instead of Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeons.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I am only on my second playthrough and haven't fully completed the challenge dungeons but there are some pretty cool, exclusive bosses and enemies to be found if your willing to put the work in. I am still waiting to run into this hideous thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnxcwaWz50o

As for difficulty, I would agree that I haven't had nearly as many deaths that lead to massive loss of echoes/souls as previous games but have still hit a few roadblocks. The previously mentioned upper cathedral ward and Castle Cainhurst bosses are fantastic and one particular encounter with a NPC hunter late in the game might even be more intense.

Eaglet, definitely pick up the Old Hunters DLC if you haven't done so already.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

qmish wrote:Some prefer playing Dark Arisen content of Dragon's Dogma instead of Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeons.
As great as BB is, the CDs are freaking crap.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Just finished Shadow Tower: Abyss. God, what a great game.

The story is a bit cloudy, but I think it mostly makes sense.
Spoiler
The way I saw it -- Demon Chick makes the tower, because she likes watching (and, it's implied although not really spelled out, partaking in) violence and suffering. In order to keep the fun going, whenever anyone/anything is kidnapped and taken to the tower, they can no longer actually die; they're just resurrected. Anyone can escape by getting to the top and destroying the tower, which is the bait she uses to get people to try to fight, and, naturally, the way there is guarded by a whole bunch of servants, whose only purpose is to fight the kidnapped victims for Demon Chick's amusement. The spear was nothing but a macguffin to get people into the tower -- first, as sacrifices made by the king to give the spear power, and later, as adventurers searched for the spear (hence why she breaks it when you're about to grab it). You escape the tower after fighting her, but the ending shows that she's immortal, and all of her talk about dying and wanting to die at the end was just her way of taunting you.