STG Weekly: Cave Shmupmania Recap

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cuilan

Re: STG Weekly @ Anime Expo Saturday, July 4th 1:00 p.m.

Post by Cuilan »

The panel turned out really well, at least the 2nd half of it. It's a shame I didn't get there in time for the first half. Even bigger shame that I couldn't help you guys out much. I really hope the panel gets approved for AX next year. I'll try to show up on time and help out a lot more for the next one!
:lol:
suny

Re: STG Weekly @ Anime Expo Saturday, July 4th 1:00 p.m.

Post by suny »

STGWeekly, your poster is really, really cool! :)
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly episode #80 - Final Boss

Post by STGWeekly »

Bump for new episode. See you guys there!

--Frenetic
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

After a vacuum for 2 months, now you're back :D

For the request next episode? I'd vote Recca or FC Gradius II.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Go Play Final Boss

The only reason it's not on my top 5 is because it's not finished. You can bet it will be when it's done though.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Isn't it a little strange to do an episode about a game that isn't finished yet?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Squire Grooktook

It's already better than a number of the best finished games combined. Even if it remained in this state perpetually, it'd still be one of the best shmups ever.

SPREAD THE LOVE GUYS
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I never saw the appeal of it myself, besides its apparently having some secrets and also making a ton of references to other shmups. Then again I never stuck with it long enough to get competent at it, but it didn't draw me in and make me want to stick with it. Guess I'll tune in to hear from people who actually know the game what makes it so good.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Squire Grooktook

For me, the appeal is that the game expands and grows more complex with new mechanics each stage.

Stage 1 is just shoot/dodge.
Stage 2, you get the side/back shot which turns the game into a multi-directional shooter.
Stage 3 you get the Recca Bomb or Homing Shot, which adds a Recca style offense/defense and bullet blocking aspect to the game or a Rayforce style background chaining.
After that you get the melee system, which allows you to even more skillfully null bullets and speed kill enemies, and factors into the scoring system by allowing you to exceed the max multiplier during melee rampages.

The constantly growing mechanics really give the game insane variety and make it feel like a real journey. Each power up isn't just a new weapon, it fundamentally changes the way the game plays. Doesn't show through if you never 1cc past stage 2 though. I think the first two stages could use some more dodging, but that's not a problem stage 3 and onward IMO. Second loop is also perfect.

That, and the game has environmental hazards and bosses that have attacks based on more than just bullets, which automaticly makes it superior to all games that do not have these things.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yeah I haven't gotten past stage 2 yet so I haven't seen much yet besides some streams I watched a while back.

How many stages is the game planned to have on full release anyway? With the game giving you a new weapon every stage I find it difficult to imagine the game getting much longer than its existing three stages.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Squire Grooktook

No idea. It might be that the full weapon suite is obtained after the mech battle. Which would be fine, since it's absurdly cool bo be switching between laser blade, recca bomb, side shot, etc. on the fly to chain and combo things to death. If they did have more powers up their sleeves, that would be amazing.

Given the cinematic style of the later game, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some dramatic power ups left yet.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Squire Grooktook wrote:For me, the appeal is that the game expands and grows more complex with new mechanics each stage.
Spoiler
Also love the story, that's like the best story in shmup I've ever seen :lol:
Shepardus wrote:How many stages is the game planned to have on full release anyway?
Still haven't update today, but I believe it have circa 5-6 stages.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Final Boss episode is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtXxQSJXsHM

Along with the new public build! See: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=150
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Squire Grooktook

Finally got around to watching this, after I slept through the actual episode lol.

Great performance from Cagar and Xaerock, both in the replays and in commentary.

The info from the dev team was very enlightening. I'm a bit disappointed to learn that 4 stages per loop is the current goal. It's fine and better than most shmups given the amount of content changed in the loop, but I like the game so much that I just want more-more-more. Maybe 4 stages would be for my own good, ha ha.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I'm a bit disappointed to learn that 4 stages per loop is the current goal. It's fine and better than most shmups given the amount of content changed in the loop, but I like the game so much that I just want more-more-more. Maybe 4 stages would be for my own good, ha ha.
This decision is more or less a precaution to save any remaining sanity we may or may not have left after all these years :P

On the behalf of our team, I'd like to thank STG Weekly once more for having us in the show and allowing us to promote our game. We had a blast!
Also big thanks to all viewers and players for your support, it really means a lot and keeps us going.
Lobinden

Post by Lobinden »

Oh man that looked fucking great. Stage 3 especially really captivated me. I'm looking forward to see Final Boss be completed!
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly episode #81 - Gunnail

Post by STGWeekly »

STG Weekly episode #81

Gonna nail down this NMK nicety!? GUNNAIL. SCORE TIME! BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Guest: Macaw
Hosts: STGW Crew

When: Sunday, October 11th @ 12pm PDT (7pm UTC)
What: Gunnail (NMK glorious)
Where: http://twitch.tv/stgweekly
Last edited by STGWeekly on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

You going to crank the volume on this one? Gotta give people the whole experience, hehe.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I recorded the 1CC with a low volume alarm, and the scoring one with it nearly silent, so not a problem ;)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

No alarm, no watch. :V
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Macaw will surely chew me out for it, but I did it for ~your viewing pleasure~ :3
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

that patch of yours makes the games 10x better in my eyes. Thanks again for that. It lets the music shine through :)
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Reminder that we cannot do episodes without commentary! If you want to see a particular game done, you can fill out this form to let us know (and tell us who to get for commentary): http://goo.gl/forms/IttlubZuzX
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly #82 - Mushihimeama on Steam! Degica Interview

Post by STGWeekly »

Bump -- announcing Episode #82: Mushihimesama Steam Release and Degica Interview

We'll be talking at length with Blackbird about the upcoming Steam release of Mushimhimesama, and possibly about Degica's other recent STG localizations. Catch it this Sunday at 12PM PST!

This Sunday is also an STG Weekly x Awesome Game Replays DOUBLE FEATURE! After the interview ends, hang out until 2PM PST for AGR episode #13 on Time Crisis 2 and 3, featuring commentary from smraedis!
MathU

Post by MathU »

So did they end up crippling this with Steam DRM for no net gain or not?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
system11

Post by system11 »

MathU wrote:So did they end up crippling this with Steam DRM for no net gain or not?
Admit it, you have this question on a function key.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Is there going to be online rankings with the ability to download the replay for the rank?
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Stream starts at 3 PM EST, about half an hour. See you there!

http://www.twitch.tv/stgweekly
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

So totally ignore the question, k.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Pasky wrote:So totally ignore the question, k.
There will be online leaderboards with downloadable replays, but replay submission is not mandatory.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube