Super Metroid

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
CDexWard

Super Metroid

Post by CDexWard »

Recently I have been looking up SNES games that I still have to play. There are many and one of them is Super Metroid. I know that this game is considered one of the best games of all time and I am really looking forward to playing it, once I finish my bachelor's thesis in a week or so. After watching a Metroid retrospective on Youtube I am really stoked about this game but what I wanted to to first is get Metroid 1 and 2 out of the way. Today I started Metroid 1 and I am pretty shocked. I didn't get far without looking up a map, just to find out that I had to bomb the floor in one room and drop into a seemingly deadly liquid so I can access another area underneath. Looking at the map I figure I would never be able to find everything without it, probably not even the places I HAVE to go.

Now I am worried about Super Metroid. It seems like a really awesome game but I want to explore and beat it without using a map. Can anyone tell me if it's just as confusing to navigate as the first game? Or can I beat it on my own?
Ghegs

Re: Super Metroid

Post by Ghegs »

I found Metroid II easier to explore, but it might be a bit more linear as well. Super Metroid improved on the formula a lot. To begin with, different areas actually look like different areas now, which helps immensely in the navigation. The game also features its own in-game map, so you won't be getting lost in the same manner as in the first game
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

CDexWard wrote:Now I am worried about Super Metroid. It seems like a really awesome game but I want to explore and beat it without using a map. Can anyone tell me if it's just as confusing to navigate as the first game? Or can I beat it on my own?
Played it for the first time a couple years back, had a blast. Never needed a map/outside help at any point, never felt stuck, still missed lots of optional stuff according to the endgame stats (awesome game design).

Ghegs nailed it. Just the easily distinguishable areas + ingame map alone make it far more user-friendly than the original.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The bosses in Super Metroid can only be killed with rockets or charged shots. The item you need for the charge shot is hidden off map in the ground somewhere you have to bomb.

I did not know that the first time I played through Super Metroid. Got everything BUT the charge shot. Which meant I had to kill all the bosses only using rockets. Not a big deal most of the time, but I remember the underwater boss being hell. Kept missing a few shots and had to start all over constantly. Think it took every rocket I had in stock except 2 or 3 to kill it.

TLDR: Really make sure you have the charge shot.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Super Metroid is much easier and more intuitive than the first game. As long as you take your time and look for secrets you'll get everything you need & have a great time with it. Jealous you get to experience such a masterpiece for the first time...
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

It's interesting to think about the gameplay atmosphere back in the days of the first Metroid. So many secrets so well-hidden, expecting players to bomb innocent-looking blocks to find hidden passageways... Playing a video game was a novel experience back then, so expecting players to go out of their way to explore game-playing mechanisms (which in turn helped them to explore the in-game world in Metroid) was normal. It was OK to put an item under an unassuming lava lake because no one had anything better to do back then than play around and suddenly find an item in there.

Super Metroid is better at this, if only because the enhanced fidelity of the graphics allow more subtle clues to be seen. But I think the player is still meant to play around... bombing everywhere, running into walls... scanning absolutely everything with the X-Ray scope. That's what it's all about.
Kiselgof

Post by Kiselgof »

The first Metroid is a challenging game if you're experiencing it for the first time. Super Metroid improved the formula drastically. You have a built-in map system that will prevent you from being lost. The items you absolutely have to obtain to finish the game are readily found during natural progress and exploration. There are plenty of secrets if you have the patience, but the game is easily doable without additional searching.

Your other option is to try out Metroid Fusion for the GBA. The goals are clearly marked on the maps but it also creates a linear progression and takes away from the adventuring.
CDexWard

Post by CDexWard »

Thanks for your responses! I am really glad to hear this. I have no problem with exploring Super Metroid thoroughly. At least I can save in that game and don't restart with 30 energy after dying. Now I am, again, really looking forward to immerse myself in 16-bit Zebes. :lol:
Kiselgof wrote:Your other option is to try out Metroid Fusion for the GBA. The goals are clearly marked on the maps but it also creates a linear progression and takes away from the adventuring.
I have that one and Zero Mission, too. Those two and Super Metroid are the three games I really want to play. I'm just playing 1 and 2 so I can say I played them all. :D
Doing the same with Mega Man. I just played 1 and am currently working my way through 2 but the games I am really looking forward to are X 1-3. Aaaand the same goes for Castlevania but I gave up on the NES ones. Those are too hardcore for me. I'll just skip to the 16-bit generation: Rondo, Bloodlines and Super IV! :mrgreen:
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

CDexWard wrote:I'll just skip to the 16-bit generation: Rondo, Bloodlines and Super IV! :mrgreen:
You've probably played SOTN... but if you haven't by chance, I can't recommend it enough. Easily one of my top 5 favorite games ever.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Has anyone tried this Metroid 1 hack out?
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/
This hack replaces Metroid’s password system with a saving system, offering three save files. The file selection menu shows the player’s equipment, and as an added bonus, the player’s health is now saved (no need to grind for health every time you resume your game). The save system can be a handy addition for those who don’t like to use save-states, or those playing on a flash-cart.

Included is a scrollable map when the game is paused and the ability to combine wave and ice beams.

Version 0.3 fixes a bug that could prevent the game from booting correctly in some cases. The hack has been tested and confirmed to work on the PowerPak as well as a normal cart.
Yay or nay? The scrollable map is a nice feature, same with the save feature...
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

CDexWard wrote:Thanks for your responses! I am really glad to hear this. I have no problem with exploring Super Metroid thoroughly. At least I can save in that game and don't restart with 30 energy after dying. Now I am, again, really looking forward to immerse myself in 16-bit Zebes. :lol:
Kiselgof wrote:Your other option is to try out Metroid Fusion for the GBA. The goals are clearly marked on the maps but it also creates a linear progression and takes away from the adventuring.
I have that one and Zero Mission, too. Those two and Super Metroid are the three games I really want to play. I'm just playing 1 and 2 so I can say I played them all. :D
Zero Mission is my favorite Metroid - beating Super by a very slim margin. But after you finish both, check out the romhack Super Zero Mission: the best of everything!
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

I'd say Metroid took longer to beat than Super Metroid, but that was honestly because of the age factor. It was really my older brother that beat the first Metroid, and that took over a year given that he was 8 or 9 and I was two years younger. Super Metroid took less time, but there was one part that absolutely stumped both of us for a long time. I won't spoil what that part was. It's the only part of a game that drove us to call the Nintendo hotline for help.
NOAH

Post by NOAH »

opt2not wrote:Has anyone tried this Metroid 1 hack out?
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/
This hack replaces Metroid’s password system with a saving system, offering three save files. The file selection menu shows the player’s equipment, and as an added bonus, the player’s health is now saved (no need to grind for health every time you resume your game). The save system can be a handy addition for those who don’t like to use save-states, or those playing on a flash-cart.

Included is a scrollable map when the game is paused and the ability to combine wave and ice beams.

Version 0.3 fixes a bug that could prevent the game from booting correctly in some cases. The hack has been tested and confirmed to work on the PowerPak as well as a normal cart.
Yay or nay? The scrollable map is a nice feature, same with the save feature...
I honestly don't like the scrolling map idea. I thought it was cool that you had to remember the world you explored for direction. The territory in the first Metroid isn't too vast for memorization. The save files are a welcome addition for sure though.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

FDS version had saves (and better music).

Is Zero Mission really that good? I never played it but I assumed it was more similar to Fusion than Super.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Xan

Post by Xan »

No, ZM is a remake of the first game with a bit of a Super Metroid feel to it... Fusion is considerably more "on rails", and places more emphasis on that survival aspect rather than exploration/non-linearity.

As far as rating them, they are all awesome and worth playing :D
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Awesome tier: Super Metroid

Great tier: Metroid II, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime

OK tier: Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission

Die in a fire tier: Other M

I'm not really interested in the other Prime games.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Mortificator wrote: God tier: Super Metroid Zero Mission (SM romhack), Super Metroid

Awesome tier: Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid Prime

Great tier: Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3

OK tier: Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid Prime 2

FTFY.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

This hack? I don't know if there's room in my heart for another Zebes mission, but wow, that's a glowing review.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Mortificator wrote:This hack? I don't know if there's room in my heart for another Zebes mission, but wow, that's a glowing review.
Yup, that one. Do please give it a try; it's, IMO, masterful. Not the hard edition, mind you.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Those looking for a good "pure" hack of the original Metroid, check out MBDTroid (made by one of the coders/admins at MetroidDatabase). It more or less keeps the game the same (which is a good thing!) but redoes all of the graphics to make the sprites look far better than the originals (more or a super metroid flair), adds beam switching, starts off with 99 energy after death, and touches up the Ridley fight to be far more satisfying and challenging. It's also compatible with the LUA script that adds map functionality to the game. Despite these changes, it doesn't muck up or shift around the level design or dilute the experience. It's quite fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0No8xQV6M

Just check out a few parts of the video for reference.
Astraea FGA Mk. I

Post by Astraea FGA Mk. I »

Related to Metroid 2.

When I was 8 years old living in Oxford I got stuck on Metroid 2. I wrote a letter to Nintendo explaining where I was stuck and asked for their help.
I eventually received a letter from Nintendo. It contained a 2 page document explaining exactly how to get past the place I was stuck. It also included several pages of maps, they were copies of hand drawn maps of the entire game that must have been created as the game was developed. Maybe drawn by Gunpei Yokoi? I don't think these exist anywhere online. I am pretty sure they are in storage in my country of origin. I treasured the contents of that letter and I will likely always have respect for Nintendo because of what they did for me.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Moniker wrote:God tier: Super Metroid Zero Mission (SM romhack), Super Metroid

Awesome tier: Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid Prime

Great tier: Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3

OK tier: Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid Prime 2

This is absolutely accurate.

Zero Mission is so damn good.

EDIT: Whoops, it was actually Moniker's FTFY list I'm in agreement with. Fixed the quote now.
Last edited by Skykid on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

CDexWard wrote:Now I am worried about Super Metroid. It seems like a really awesome game but I want to explore and beat it without using a map. Can anyone tell me if it's just as confusing to navigate as the first game? Or can I beat it on my own?
The difference between Metroid I and Super Metroid is about comparable to the difference between the original Zelda an Link to the Past... in the original, you had to bomb every wall to find one you could blow up, but in Link to the Past, they've all got obvious cracks in them so there's never any thrill of discovery or any real sense of adventure because you always know where everything is and there are no true "secrets."

Super Metroid is not quite that dumbed-down but you can easily beat the whole game without a walkthru because the stuff you *have* to do is more or less obvious... the secret stuff is still pretty treacherous though (for example... who would think to boost-jump way up the cliff in the starting area would reveal a whole hidden passage?)
The resident X-Multiply fan.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Super Metroid is one of my favorite game ever, and undoubtedly one of the best games ever made. I used to speed run (low%) it under 60 minutes. It's not really impressive or anything, but it was and still is a blast for me to play. In many sections, when I had friends over and would play the game, they would often ask: "How did you know this is where you had to go?" On your first go, there are things that will take you quite a while to figure out on your own in SM, and I'm not talking about hidden items or anything, but main game elements. I don't want to spoil the game so I'll stop there.

Fact is, I don't have the time I used to have when I was a 10 year old, firing missiles at every inch of the scenery to find a secret. I usually try it on my own, but if I get stuck, I don't hesitate to get a little help from a video.

Running around for hours making 0 progress isn't my idea of fun anymore...!
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Back in the day I got as far as a vertical shaft I think. I couldn't find my way out lol.

Mind you I didn't have the instructions and the internet guides were non existent.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Edmond Dantes wrote:the secret stuff is still pretty treacherous though (for example... who would think to boost-jump way up the cliff in the starting area would reveal a whole hidden passage?)
Thought that was pretty easy - there's so much open space overhead you can't reach at the start of the game, logical place to stash something for the player to find later. I re-examine the starting area in any game of this sort. Works in SOTN, COTM and Blaster Master too.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, the start of the game is an incredibly obvious place to look. I know when I discovered Shinesparking, I used the crap out of it where I could and found the areas at the start that way. You could even bomb-jump up the cliff face if you were ambitious. Really though, once you get the Space Jump, which makes navigation as easy as it can get, it's your own fault for not exploring.

I actually didn't think navigation in any of the Metroid games was that challenging aside from the first one since it was not-linear compared to the sequel, and a lot of the corridors looked very similar. I made a very basic map for that one. Metroid II I found a lot easier to explore because it was made to have obvious branched-off areas along a linear path, so it was clear where you were usually. Plus, it fixed the main issue I had with the first game, starting off with only 30 health at the beginning and no full-health recharge stations, meaning you had to sit and grind for health when you were damaged or wanted to fully heal for a boss. Having recharge points helped prevent the game's exploration pace from being broken by stretches where you'd have to sit in one location killing the same enemies over and over. Getting lost I think can be fun, that sort of thing not-so-much.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Back in the day I got as far as a vertical shaft I think. I couldn't find my way out lol.
Which one? Of the ones you can get trapped in that I can think of (aside from the really long shaft you can climb using the Ice Beam), both of them have friendly creatures that are there to teach you new abilities (Shinespark + Wall Jump). Shinesparking I had no trouble learning as they made the animations very clear on what you need to do (thanks mister ostrich!). Walljumping I had issues with and never learned exactly how to do it until many years later when I looked it up; I had trouble learning because I was used to simplified walljumping Mega Man X style. I just didn't grasp that you had to move away from the wall THEN hit the jump button. I managed to fumble my way out of the Wall Jump pit when I got lost there mostly be mashing the jump button frantically when I couldn't quite figure it out in my youth.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Aye, wall-jumping is a breeze once explained/understood.
By the way, I recommend a PlayStation-style gamepad (Classic Controller Pro will do if you're a brandist). That many more shoulder buttons makes quite a difference (nothing necessary to beat the game; just a nice thing to have it handy).

Man, who do we need to thank for CCP? Was it really Capcom? I can't even remember what those two extra triggers do in MH3.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Ghegs wrote:I found Metroid II easier to explore, but it might be a bit more linear as well. Super Metroid improved on the formula a lot. To begin with, different areas actually look like different areas now, which helps immensely in the navigation. The game also features its own in-game map, so you won't be getting lost in the same manner as in the first game
Really? It's pretty non-linear I think and without a map it is easy to get sidetracked/lost. SR388 is rather large and with redundancy so it doesn't take long to feel like you're treading the same path even though it could be a new area despite similar visuals and design. Great game though and a true sequel in terms of overall improvement over the first game.

To me Metroid games are distinctly non-linear and when that plan deviates the game isn't the same. That's how I feel regarding Fusion. I suppose some interest derives from speedrunning and sequence breaking but on the whole the game was designed around A-B-C path. Having said that early on I did prefer Fusion over Zero Mission based on aesthetics and I couldn't have been more wrong for doing so. ZM is superb and very close to a true Super successor. You could complain it wasn't a new game just a remake of the original but for what it does is make the original wholly obsolete and unnecessary.

Additionally, no fan-hack has ever done it for me. They don't feel the same as the Nintendo made fare. If I ever needed more Super Metroid, I'd just replay that.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Isn't there a thread about GBA Metroids already?

I seem to recall reading Super was originally meant to be bundled with a printed map, present in the Japanese release (where it wasn't ever particulary popular, oddly enough).

Regarding the benefit of having four triggers/shoulder buttons in Super Metroid, these allow you to change weapons with your index finger(s) as your thumbs do the rest. Technically an exploit, but who cares? To quote dr. Fitzgerald, "nobody ever loses their memory".
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off