What type of Chassis do I have in my Egret 29?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikehaggar

What type of Chassis do I have in my Egret 29?

Post by mikehaggar »

Hey Shmupsland!

I'm trying to identify the chassis in my Egret 29 so that I can buy a cap kit and install it with my friend. I read the side of of the monitor after lifting up the control panel and there is a Nanao MS8 - Dual series sticker on the monitor (which is a 29").

I've googled to see what type of chassis it might be exactly and there are two choices I've seen come up on different sites for a Nanao MS8.

Nana0 MS8-29FTB
Nanao MS8-29FSG

What exactly is the difference between these two? Would they have the same cap kit? I found one for the FTB on Bob Roberts and am tempting to get it, but I'm not really sure it will work for mine and just wanted to check with people here.

Thanks in advance!
geekmiki

Re: What type of Chassis do I have in my Egret 29?

Post by geekmiki »

Hi,

There's an easy way to identify your chassis:

-MS8 29FTB has "long" pots to adjust the image on the chassis:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/c/c6 ... hassis.jpg

-MS8 29FSG has flat pots

http://www.jomac.net.au/Nanao%20MS8-29FSG.JPG

Since you found the cap kit for the FTB, here's the cap list for the FSG:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Nanao_MS8-29FSG
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

Hmm, sorry if I'm an idiot, but just want to make sure I'm looking at the right part to compare them. Are you talking about the bottom of the FTB pic where all the dials are on the main board?
Also, are the capacitors actually different on these? They look pretty damn similar.
geekmiki

Post by geekmiki »

Hi again,

Yes, you should have a look at the dials on your chassis.
If your screen is in yoko, they should be on the left side when sitting in front of your cab.

Regarding the caps that are used on FTB and FSB unfortunately I don't know if they're identical.
As said, Identify your chassis first and then order a complete cap kit from Bob Roberts if it's an FTB or order the caps separately if it's an FSG.

Good luck with your cap kit!
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

I can't actually see the flat pots in the second pic you posted...the adjustment board seems to be missing in the second pic, or I must be looking in the wrong spot. Can you point out where they are, or maybe circle them in mspaint? Sorry, just want to make sure I understand this perfectly before jumping in.
geekmiki

Post by geekmiki »

Hi,

Bottom of the 2nd pic, you have 8 pots aligned. They are placed directly on the chassis, not on the adjustment board.

The easiest is that you take a picture of your chassis and that you post it here. I'll be able to help you identify your chassis.
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

Ok, so it seems that what you're saying is that the FTB has long pots and an adjustment board, the FSG has flat pots and no adjustment board? Or does only this particular one have no adjustment board?

I lifted the bezel and took a pic of my adjustment board...I can't see the whole Chassis....is this enough for you to be able to tell?

It looks like the FTB, but I just want to make sure! If this isn't enough to tell, I guess I will have to open up the back of this thing to get a better look...

Thanks for your help!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

You'll need to open it up. The adjustment board is different from the adjustments on the chassis. They might share the same differences between the two chassis's, but I wouldn't count on it. Besides, you'll have to open it up to do the cap kit anyways, so might as well :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
geekmiki

Post by geekmiki »

trap15 is right, we need to see the chassis to be able to tell which revision of the MS8 you have.

Also, both revisions have an adjustment board. Actually the chassis won't work without it connected.

Do this and post your picture here:
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

I opened the back panel up, and the chassis was in a place that was really hard to capture a good pic. After fiddling with it for a long time trying to get a good one, I looked on the side of the chassis and all of a sudden it came to me. I developed an incredible way to tell what type of chassis sits in an egret 29. Completely fool proof. However, this took all of my electronics knowledge and expertise to develop. I will share it with you guys, even though it could cost me thousands of dollars in intellectual property. I'm feeling rather generous today though. Here is a diagram picturing what I discovered. Try your best to follow it.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2725/nzcb.jpg

:wink:

you guys rock, thank you.
geekmiki

Post by geekmiki »

Great! Glad to hear it was easier than planned...

Good luck on the capkit now!