Shooter soundtracks to remember Patterns

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ThirdStrike
Banned User

Shooter soundtracks to remember Patterns

Post by ThirdStrike »

Does anyone else use the games soundtrack to remember patterns in shooting games.

I use the music as a type of inspiration / memorization method.

Games like Shikigami No Shiro, Ikaruga, Espgaluda , Ketsui , and many RECENT shmups I find with better soundtracks I actually perform better at.

In fact 1 time I beat Psyvariar 2 without dying once.

CRAZY
SHAQ FU!
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

In some games, if I play with the sound off/another CD going I lose track of what I'm doing. Even if I don't like the game's music I usually just listen to it anyway because of this.

But I'm probably just not paying enough attention!
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

I kinda do...usually I'll make a note of what the soundtrack is doing before a particularly tough guy shows up(useful for slow scrolling games with strong enemies like R-Type Final) and when the boss is coming up, if the graphics in the game don't make it obvious.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Part of being a shmup goof is learning to love the music IMO.

I've never personally heard any music in a shooter that I didn't like to some degree. Although, I did lose interest in Bio Metal because of the "2 Intense" soundtrack. They just spread that pep-rally bullshit way 2 thin in that day and it pissed me off. So, to some degree "yes" I have found some shooter music I don't like, but to another I just don't consider that stank fuckin' "CC Music Factory-wanna-be techno "duet"" to be shmup music...

I'm actually playing Formation Armed F for the PC Engine and I've got the music...er, well...turned up?

Oh, that reminds me...I think there should be a constantly growing Playlist/Jukebox of shmuptunes on the site...some kind of random selection (with titles and or origins) that we could jam to while we post/peruse. It'd be a fitting celebration to the music...This is not a gripe BTW and I still really like what the site/forum has become. And I don't know who would compile it or even do it or if it would even be possible.
We could, perhaps all contribute? I don't know...
How about all the musicians here whip up some classics and we have a shmuptunes renditions dump...Not a competition, mind you - cause you know it is all good. Just a collective of re-performed or re-mixed classics - most preferably obscure stuff by defunct companies (nothing current)- so nobody gets sued. Just a thought...maybe another forum? :wink:
zinger

Post by zinger »

I remember doing this a lot in Layer Section.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Nate wrote: I've never personally heard any music in a shooter that I didn't like to some degree. Although, I did lose interest in Bio Metal because of the "2 Intense" soundtrack. They just spread that pep-rally bullshit way 2 thin in that day and it pissed me off. So, to some degree "yes" I have found some shooter music I don't like, but to another I just don't consider that stank fuckin' "CC Music Factory-wanna-be techno "duet"" to be shmup music...
You mean "2-Unlimited". ;)
Blade

Post by Blade »

*cough* Evangeleon's "Dance like you wanna win" *cough*
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
it290

Post by it290 »

Y'know, I usually play with music/SFX on , but it often seems like I do better with silence. Probably has something to do with not getting so hyped up and staying cool, I dunno.

I have to say, though, whenever I play any of the Touhou games or most of ABA's games, I crank it up full blast.
system11

Post by system11 »

I don't use it to remember game sections, but I do use it to get into the gameplay - I can't zone in at all without the soundtrack there. I think the soundtrack is an incredibly important part of the game - more so than graphics.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
JBC

Post by JBC »

I wish more games had the option to turn the music off but keep the sound effects on. That way i could listen to Arch Enemy while i play Gradius V. Stupid Konami! I KILL YOU!

:shock:

Uhh... sorry.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

bloodflowers wrote:I don't use it to remember game sections, but I do use it to get into the gameplay - I can't zone in at all without the soundtrack there. I think the soundtrack is an incredibly important part of the game - more so than graphics.
Usually I feel the same way, but not when it comes to Raiden DX! Time to turn off that soundtrack, great though it may be, and REALLY let the explosions BOOM through your speakers!!! :twisted: :twisted:

ahem.

At any rate, I think it has to do with whether you're more of a visual learner, or more of an audio learner. I am more of the former, so landscapes in a shmup are actually more helpfull to me then the soundtrack.