Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

How the heck does Eschatos Advanced work? What's the strategy for playing it? I can't wrap my head around the powerup system - am I supposed to be going up and down power levels constantly thanks to the F items? Do I ignore the F items completely or try to keep my shield level at 60 (some shot power as in Original)? And how does the scoring work (is there a point to holding down shield until a cloud of purple items swirl around you, do you get more points ideally at max power, etc)? The mechanics seem to be a bit convoluted, like they're in opposition to one another.

Original and Time Attack seem far better thought out with far less convoluted mechanics.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Stevens : Gaiden and Burst (with some ships) are the most straightforward, so they are the best bet.
G is really stylish and its boss intro/fights ooze coolness but the bomb mechanics make survival more difficult and the lisibility isn't always great. I would save it for later.

BareKnuckleRoo : According to this strategy thread, you are better off avoiding every single F-bomb. The item cloud isn't that useful either.
Yeah, Advanced isn't that solidly designed. I think the issue is that Eschatos is a game made with a very simple approach focused on killing the enemy waves but Advanced tries to inject complexity that doesn't mesh well with the level-design and player weaponry because it doesn't always serve that initial speedkilling purpose.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I was reading an interview where it stated the game was originally developed with the Advanced and Time Attack modes and the gameplay in Original Mode was only added later in development...

Advanced wouldn't be nearly as annoying if the flash items didn't lower your multiplier and just dropped attack strength (since you usually get a powerup soon after). I hate having to dodge a 'powerup' that takes up half the screen. And even then having to choose between having a decent shield or a decent attack is annoying.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Oh, yeah, that interview rings a bell. It is kinda odd that Advanced was the initial mode, but come to think of it, both modes are an extension of JSS's system which does not have the weird powerup management mechanics of Advanced mode. I guess it is JSS's simple approach that is betrayed by Eschatos's Advanced mode.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

M.Knight wrote:I guess it is JSS's simple approach that is betrayed by Eschatos's Advanced mode.
I think you hit the nail on the head - JSS has a beautifully simple and elegant system, and Advanced's shot mechanics just muddle things.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

About DariusBurst SP on mobile, the game looks pretty okay for a mobile shmup. I have no idea how phones grade about performance however, and was thinking does anyone have any clue would the game run well on Samsung Galaxy J5?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

John4300 wrote:About DariusBurst SP on mobile, the game looks pretty okay for a mobile shmup. I have no idea how phones grade about performance however, and was thinking does anyone have any clue would the game run well on Samsung Galaxy J5?
I don't know about the newest models, but it works excellently on my S3.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Are there any cheats or unlockables for Sexy Parodius on PS1? I look around on the likes of gamefaqs and they have nothing. The only thing I know is that inputting the usual Konami code on the pause screen powers down your ship. Not helpful!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Not sure if anyone has this problem, but I've been playing Raiden Fighters Jet, usually if you beat all the stages without dying you move onto the Real Battle. I keep passing Level 45 without losing a single life but I end up on Level 50 anyway. Is that supposed to happen? It was at Otakon, and they have the Japanese version, maybe there's some changes.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Martinov wrote:Are there any cheats or unlockables for Sexy Parodius on PS1? I look around on the likes of gamefaqs and they have nothing. The only thing I know is that inputting the usual Konami code on the pause screen powers down your ship. Not helpful!
By changing left and right to L1 and R1, it fully powers up your ship.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

xxx1993 wrote:Not sure if anyone has this problem, but I've been playing Raiden Fighters Jet, usually if you beat all the stages without dying you move onto the Real Battle. I keep passing Level 45 without losing a single life but I end up on Level 50 anyway. Is that supposed to happen? It was at Otakon, and they have the Japanese version, maybe there's some changes.
I think you need to rack up a decent score as well.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

xxx1993 wrote:Not sure if anyone has this problem, but I've been playing Raiden Fighters Jet
Here's a guide on the conditions for the stage paths. I'm not terribly good at the game so I can't confirm if it's 100% accurate but I'd assume it is:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=16237
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Special Medal Mode?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=24775

Triggering the max value medals isn't too bad, although I can't remember if you lose it when you die or if it stays with you the rest of the game.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

This has to be from the Japanese version, because I can usually get to the Real Battle with no problem these days.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

This was probably asked already, but is Otomedius canon to Gradius? I remember the events of Gradius III being mentioned in passing, and both Gorgeous and Excellent seem to take place sometime after Gradius V. Even the Vic Viper T-301 makes a brief cameo appearance in Aoba Anoa's ending in Gorgeous.
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

I think it's an alternate timeline because of just how different the Bacterians are compared to their depictions in the Gradius timeline. That being said, Konami hasn't said anything about timeline stuff in regards to Otomedius.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I talked with a friend of mine about this, and I kept on thinking Otomedius as a whole is canon to Gradius, and that the Gradius Army had now affiliated with Earth after fighting off the Bacterians on their home turf.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

So, is Ibara Arrange exclusive to the ps2 port or what?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yes. Ibara Kuro (PCB-exclusive variant) builds on ideas from Ibara Arrange but is not the same.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Shepardus wrote:Yes. Ibara Kuro (PCB-exclusive variant) builds on ideas from Ibara Arrange but is not the same.
Thx! I was messing around with it a little earlier today
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Zero Gunner 2 rank question - Dying is the only thing I'm aware of that lowers rank.

Can you manage rank by collecting one power up instead of two?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Here's a video of the Gradius III cube rush. Are the seed and remaining counters at the top-right of the screen part of the PS2 port or is this a modded rom?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Shepardus wrote:Here's a video of the Gradius III cube rush. Are the seed and remaining counters at the top-right of the screen part of the PS2 port or is this a modded rom?
I don't know, but I watched it and saw this in the recommended bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAOoa8_y5LM

Someone programmed a cube rush practice thing for X68000. That's pretty awesome.
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

Game's Minishoter RS Delta.

Unlocked every stage and other ship. I'm out of clues.
Play for fun and win when you can.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Shepardus wrote:Here's a video of the Gradius III cube rush. Are the seed and remaining counters at the top-right of the screen part of the PS2 port or is this a modded rom?
There is a specific cube rush practice option on the PS2, but there's no seed/remaining cubes count anywhere in that port.
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

Trying to play batsugun special via groovyMAME. Can't seem to get it to work, and don't know why. Any help would be appreciated

Edit: looks like it runs in the newest release of MAME. So i guess i'll just play using that for now
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

When TATE a CRT (Sony 20M20MDU) Does it matter if I TATE it so the bottom of the PVM is on the right side, or should it be on the left side?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Depends on which way the game you want to play adjusts the screen when you play it in tate mode; most games only go in one direction, very few offer both.
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

BulletMagnet wrote:Depends on which way the game you want to play adjusts the screen when you play it in tate mode; most games only go in one direction, very few offer both.
Im using MAME currently, so thats not a concern. I just wasn't aware if there was a particular way you "should" do it to avoid issues or possible damage.