A new start, public apology

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ResOGlas

A new start, public apology

Post by ResOGlas »

I guess there's not a real reason I should be posting this, but it's probably best that I clear things up. I just wanted to let you know that I sincerely am a shooter fan and not just some troll here to piss everyone off. I guess I'm just used to lax etiquette with other forums that I frequent (2000+ posts on Neo-Geo.com, shamefully ;) ) . So I guess that's it. I think people here think I'm just here to cause trouble, but I guess I just should have started a separate DoDonPachi thread instead of posting my comments in the current one. Honestly before I made my first post I didn't know what difficulty you guys were playing on. Like I said, myself and all of my friends play on the hardest setting on all shooters, and I didn't know if that's the norm around here. People got upset and I got upset and in turn it ruined the thread. From now on I will assume that all you guys play on defaults unless otherwise stated. So to get off this subject and onto a more pleasant one...

I'm pretty new to the shooting scene. I have been a big fan of games since the NES, but I didn't get into shooters until around January of this year. I played Mushihime Sama at an arcade in Yokohama and that was pretty much my first experience with modern shooters. Overall, I was very shocked with the challenge that vert shooters impose. I ran back to my friends place and did research on this site and others about this company named "Cave". It's funny, I ran out and bought Espgaluda and Dai-Ou-Jou before I even realized that shooters were so common that I could have tried the games out first at almost any arcade in Japan. At this point I was shocked at how the quality in Cave's titles kept a very high standard no matter which game I tried. Then I downloaded MAME to try out the older titles (shame on me) and fell in Love with all the rest such as DonPachi, DoDonPachi, Guwange, and Esprade. Now we're at the present, and I purchased a DoDonPachi PCB before I left Japan and just picked up a New Astro City cab with a vertical monitor about a week or so ago. I'm completely stoked with my new addition to the family.
So, what other companies/games would you recommend I do research on? I'm not adverse to Horizontal shooters either. I've heard people mention a few companies, but I don't know how they all compare? If any of you have some input or some favorite games you want to mention, I'd love to hear it. Thanks
Hail Atlantis!
Rob

Re: A new start, public apology

Post by Rob »

ResOGlas wrote:2000+ posts on Neo-Geo.com
I've never been to this board, but from what I've heard I completely guessed this by your avatar, attitude and love of Cave games.

Try Dragon Blaze (Psikyo) and Mars Matrix (Takumi).
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Ouch...call it forum profiling but it was the same way with me; when I first saw your avatar I figured you were from NG.com. Not that that matters, the point is that Raizing is an awesome company and you need to look into their stuff. Armed Police Batrider(my favorite vert probably) and Great Mahou Daisakusen/Dimahoo are good ones to try and track down.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Try the Shikigami No Shiro series or Psyvariar series. They have great music and are really fun to play.
TGK

Post by TGK »

Dewclaw wrote:Ouch...call it forum profiling but it was the same way with me; when I first saw your avatar I figured you were from NG.com. Not that that matters, the point is that Raizing is an awesome company and you need to look into their stuff. Armed Police Batrider(my favorite vert probably) and Great Mahou Daisakusen/Dimahoo are good ones to try and track down.
Raizing is quite good. I also think that Batrider is their best work, but play Garrega too, it's really hard even on default mode.
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Do I fit the profile?
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Kiel wrote:Do I fit the profile?
nope. I was going totally on Res's avatar, not his attitude or anything...and I have no idea who yours is :P (it looks like it might be from KoF)
Edge

Post by Edge »

Welcome to the forums, ResOGlas. :D

I have to admit when I read your post in the DoDonPachi highscore thread I though you might be a fake account who just want to cause trouble... ^^

Sorry for that. But you know, those fakes are so often you'll get kinda paranoid. ;)

Well back to your topic.

I would recommend you to try Giga Wing from Takumi/Capcom (it's not that good looking like Cave games, but it's the inner values that counts)

Also the Cave games you already found, and maybe Raiden and some other famous series from Psikyo & Raizing. Try them on Mame to see what games you personally like.

If you are looking for good horizontal shmup I can highly recommend you Gradius V. Einhänder & R-Type Delta and many older shmups aren't bad either.

You like classic shmups too? I mean early 90's or even 80's.

Edit:
@Dewclaw:
Kiel's avatar shows (hides) K' from King of Fighters.
Last edited by Edge on Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Kiel = Spike

No?
LAshujin

Post by LAshujin »

Eh, nothing wrong with NG, just a few trolls here and there
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

NG.com is scrub city.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Rob wrote:
Try Dragon Blaze (Psikyo) and Mars Matrix (Takumi).
You're supposed to recommend the three Giga Wings. :)

Res: Try the Strikers series also by Psikyo. They are fun and the scoring systems are easy to get into.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

It's all good ResOGlas. I'm used to a much more lax environment over at SA forums, but I usually watch what I say in here because this is a small community of people dedicated to shmups and, to them, it's a serious business. ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

IlMrm wrote: You're supposed to recommend the three Giga Wings. :)
Ah, the forbidden fruit. I get a feeling people will be more enamored by MM.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Apology accepted...
Fuck the internet though...present yourself in that manner in real life and you will get your ass kicked!

Go to a club and front like that...BOOM!

Better yet, join a car club and pull that shit...see where that will get ya!
I guess you must have an over abondance(spelling?) of friends, because you sure are making em fast over here!

My advice, keep it cool, and don't be such a fuckhead.
This is a "tight knit" community of sorts, and to be honest, we really don't like shitheads coming in and acting all badass only to be owned shortly after. (Man that was really sad!)

You're welcome to stay if you like, just realize that the average age here ain't 12! So cut the bullshit remarks and keep it civil...thanks.

BTW: Don't judge me by my post count...I'm a senior member here(longer than most mods!) and I really could care less about trivial shit like this.
I just have to tell you like it is.

If you act like an ass, you will be treated as such. Present yourself in a friendly matter, and you will earn many new friends.
umi

Post by umi »

Hi... you have more tact than most in this forum... apologizing for a harmless post just to make everyone happy :P

p.s. twitchdoctor, the internet does not and will never equal real life, but to be honest, you'd probably get a BETTER reaction to his initial post in real life.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

This forum tries to seperate itself from all the other "internet nonsense" that you can find elsewhere...
What I find truely annoying is when someone is called out on for acting like an ass; only then to give that same tried and true "Welcome To The Internet" excuse/speech. Just because the internet is full of morons, doesn't mean its "cool" for everyone to be a moron.

Like I said before, apology accepted. I didn't take offense to your "DDP VERY HARD" posts...I did find your attitude to be slighlty on the "provoking/testy" side though.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

subcons wrote:Kiel = Spike

No?
Yup.
D

Post by D »

ResOGlas wrote:I guess there's not a real reason I should be posting this, but it's probably best that I clear things up. I just wanted to let you know that I sincerely am a shooter fan and not just some troll here to piss everyone off. I guess I'm just used to lax etiquette with other forums that I frequent (2000+ posts on Neo-Geo.com, shamefully ;) ) . So I guess that's it. I think people here think I'm just here to cause trouble, but I guess I just should have started a separate DoDonPachi thread instead of posting my comments in the current one. Honestly before I made my first post I didn't know what difficulty you guys were playing on. Like I said, myself and all of my friends play on the hardest setting on all shooters, and I didn't know if that's the norm around here. People got upset and I got upset and in turn it ruined the thread. From now on I will assume that all you guys play on defaults unless otherwise stated. So to get off this subject and onto a more pleasant one...

I'm pretty new to the shooting scene. I have been a big fan of games since the NES, but I didn't get into shooters until around January of this year. I played Mushihime Sama at an arcade in Yokohama and that was pretty much my first experience with modern shooters. Overall, I was very shocked with the challenge that vert shooters impose. I ran back to my friends place and did research on this site and others about this company named "Cave". It's funny, I ran out and bought Espgaluda and Dai-Ou-Jou before I even realized that shooters were so common that I could have tried the games out first at almost any arcade in Japan. At this point I was shocked at how the quality in Cave's titles kept a very high standard no matter which game I tried. Then I downloaded MAME to try out the older titles (shame on me) and fell in Love with all the rest such as DonPachi, DoDonPachi, Guwange, and Esprade. Now we're at the present, and I purchased a DoDonPachi PCB before I left Japan and just picked up a New Astro City cab with a vertical monitor about a week or so ago. I'm completely stoked with my new addition to the family.
So, what other companies/games would you recommend I do research on? I'm not adverse to Horizontal shooters either. I've heard people mention a few companies, but I don't know how they all compare? If any of you have some input or some favorite games you want to mention, I'd love to hear it. Thanks
Finaly someone who plays all shooters on their hardest difficulties too.
Welcome.
Erhm, let me think.. oh yeah Batlle Garegga.
TVG

Post by TVG »

no ressent (sp?)
i discuss friendly with guys i flame all the time.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.