Played Shienryu again on Saturn

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
D

Played Shienryu again on Saturn

Post by D »

I guess the only arcade perfect shmup on the sat.
And it shows, it runs just so powerful. flawless. Great game.
first boss is horrible. Besides that really great game.

What other shmups on consoles are 100% the same as their arcade counterpart due to it being on the same hardware?

-Raystorm PS
-Iky DC
llabnip

Re: Played Shienryu again on Saturn

Post by llabnip »

D wrote:I guess the only arcade perfect shmup on the sat.
And it shows, it runs just so powerful. flawless. Great game.
first boss is horrible. Besides that really great game.

What other shmups on consoles are 100% the same as their arcade counterpart due to it being on the same hardware.
Pretty much all the Saturn ST-V shooters. Cotton Boomerang (and Cotton 2), Radiant Silvergun, Shienryu, Guardian Force and Sokyugurentai (aka Terra Diver). There are tons of other ST-V conversions for the Saturn (non shmups) that are also great.

You can find the ST-V library (many of which got Saturn ports) here:
http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_stv.html
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

All Neo-Geo games are identical to their arcade counterparts too.
Stating the obvious here, but it's true.

Shienryu isn't all that great in my opinion, it's well designed and okay to play, but suffers in comparison with shmups of the same era.

Imbalanced too - lightning is by far the best weapon, leaving the other two a bit redundant.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

PooshhMao wrote:Imbalanced too - lightning is by far the best weapon, leaving the other two a bit redundant.
You obviously haven't played far into the game. Lightning becomes utterly useless in later levels, as it's just too slow to kill all the enemies on screen in time.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Supposedly Psyvariar 2 and Border Down on the DC are pretty darn close to arcade perfect. Battle Garegga on the Saturn is very close too.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Herr Schatten wrote:
PooshhMao wrote:Imbalanced too - lightning is by far the best weapon, leaving the other two a bit redundant.
You obviously haven't played far into the game. Lightning becomes utterly useless in later levels, as it's just too slow to kill all the enemies on screen in time.
Yeah, lightning is great for scoring on the first 3 levels or so, but after that it isn't so great.
What weapon do people prefer for later levels?

BTW, for some reason I have 3 versions of this game (Saturn, PS1, and PS2 with Shienryu Explosion), and I actually like the PS2 one the best, perhaps because I like using my Logitech cordless controller.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Hmm, I'll fire up the game tonight and try it some more, I'm open for being proven wrong.

If you like Shienryu, be sure to try Daioh, it's the prequel with very similar design, but with every weapon available all the time.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

ugh, lightning.

i always played with the vulcan spread, although i am the sort who memorizes general enemy placement and hangs out near the top of the screen (while playing Gekioh though).

i really need to get shienryu again. how intact was the ps2 port?
I have no sig whatsoever.
professor ganson

captain ahar wrote:ugh, lightning.

i always played with the vulcan spread, although i am the sort who memorizes general enemy placement and hangs out near the top of the screen (while playing Gekioh though).

i really need to get shienryu again. how intact was the ps2 port?
I know the game pretty well-- have played three versions of it-- and my view at the moment is that the PS2 version that comes with Shienryu Expl. is the best looking version (at least when played in tate). The controls are great as well.
D

Post by D »

Lightning is useless when playing on the hardest setting.
One gripe I do have is that enemies still fire when they are almost offscreen. Very hazardous.
It is an unwritten rule that enemies that are almost offscreen don't fire anymore.

And yeah unly the vulcan is usefull, perhaps later in the game it comes down to which smart bomb you have (has the most power)
music is great too.

Very balanced shooter, I like the set back system too. I feel it has secrets as well! like the shield for instance, nowhere on the internet is it stated how this works. It's covered here on the forum.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Shienryu sounds cool I just purchased the saturn version myself, not sure when it will arrive but from what you guys have said I'm looking forward to it.
Vidi Vici Veni
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

professor ganson wrote:I know the game pretty well-- have played three versions of it-- and my view at the moment is that the PS2 version that comes with Shienryu Expl. is the best looking version (at least when played in tate). The controls are great as well.
Sup Shienryu buddy? :D

For the longest time I thought I was the only fan of this game because everyone was writing it off as a generic Raiden clone :(

Picked it up on a whim one day while at the game store for 1000yen ( I was looking for Soukyugurentai but never found it ) and it's been one of my favorites ever since. the lightning is a lot of fun early on, but I'm a sucker for those C missles. Nothing against vulcan spread or anything, but ol' C fucks shit up ninja new york hardcore quick-like, and I like that. a lot.

The playstation port's slowdown disappointed me (it made the game too easy) and the Shienryu Explosion sequel was just dull and lame... but the Saturn and PS2 ports of Shienryu are absolute tits.
professor ganson

roushimsx wrote:
Sup Shienryu buddy? :D

For the longest time I thought I was the only fan of this game because everyone was writing it off as a generic Raiden clone :(
Yeah, I love this game. I got it before I played Raiden, so it never struck me as especially derivative. I can see how someone might think that Shienryu lacks the depth of something like Raiden DX. But for relatively mindless fun, Shienryu is perfect.

You should check out the High Score thread for Shienryu if you haven't already-- there's some interesting discussion, not a whole lot. My score is a bit crap because I was playing lightning all the way through. I'm going to try out your advice and shift to missles in level 3 or 4. I really should have no trouble getting to level 5 on one credit, provided I don't get shot down with bombs in reserve. With so many levels, I'm not sure I'll bother to try to master this one for a 1cc. Shienryu Explosion was kind of fun to 1cc because it only took a couple hours of playing to accomplish that feat. That game seems interesting only in its score mechanic, which I rather like, actually.

Anyway, I wish there were more discussion of this great game--- Shienryu, that is; not S. Explosion.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Yes, Shienryu is pretty cool too. Especially the final boss whose battle takes like 7 minutes, and your (my) chances of surviving are so slim.

I bought the PSX version for 500 yen (in a shop which was selling a bunch of PSX games for the same price) and thought it was pretty fun. But is there any way of turning off the interlacing on the PSX version, or putting it in tate mode?

Or if not, is the Saturn version common enough?
professor ganson

ccovell wrote: But is there any way of putting it in tate mode?

Or if not, is the Saturn version common enough?
The US PS1 version called Gekioh Shooting King has no tate mode, but the Saturn version is usually available on EBay for around $30, IIRC.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't think that the import PS1 Shienryu has tate either, you probably hafta have either the Saturn or PS2 import for that. Though I'm not sure if the PAL "Steel Dragon EX" has it or not...
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i played this before i played raiden, and even afterwards i look back on it fondly. it just has a certain something that is indescribably appealing.

i used to be able to almost clear Gekioh pretty consistently (after all, that last boss was an ass-bitch!). i'm looking forward to being able to play the game with tate. as far as missiles go i never could work them correctly, i'll have to give it a shot again when i have it in hand.
I have no sig whatsoever.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

BulletMagnet wrote:I don't think that the import PS1 Shienryu has tate either, you probably hafta have either the Saturn or PS2 import for that. Though I'm not sure if the PAL "Steel Dragon EX" has it or not...
Yeah, the PAL Steel Dragon EX does have tate in Shienryu.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

How many levels does shienryu on saturn have? I got to level 8 last night, was first play. I love it seriously cool set pieces like that blue plane section you follow to the hanger where it launches off in the second? or third? level.

Its not to hard and not to easy really like it, see what you guys mean about the lightning weapon I prefer missiles myself but its all good! Certainly a solid game very happy with my purchase.

How many levels 8 or 10 i guess
Vidi Vici Veni
professor ganson

I believe there are 8 levels, but I have never gotten that far in the game so I'm not certain.